Unexpected Suprises
270 6 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

--Mira POV--

A humanoid figure slowly walled across the battlefield, bathing in the glow of the Spiritlamp following it. As it came closer to the wall, I could make out more features of it: The flowing golden hair that reached his shoulders, the clearly defined jawline that looked almost unnatural, and the smug grin on his pretty face. He raised his hands and yelled up at us when he reached the wall.

“Hey there! I'm Isaac! SS rank adventurer from Osakara! Don't suppose one of you will let me in now?”

The commander gave the order, and the gates below us were opened just enough for the man - Isaac - to slip through before they closed again. The commander climbed down the stairs to meet him, and I followed with my party. The fighting was over, and he looks like the one who used the Light spell that ended the battle, so I wanted to meet him myself. 

“Isaac, you said? Was yhat you who saved us?”

“Mhm. That's me. I heard there was a new type of undead in these parts, so I came here to see what they were like. Seems I arrived in time. Who are those behind you?”

“Hm?” The commander turned around, unaware of our presence. I decided to introduce us.

“We the S rank party Claws of the Orange Fox, and I'm the leader. My name's Mira. The others are Lucindell and Rick.” 

My party members politely bowed when I said their names. 

“Like I said, you can call me Isaac.” The man walked over to me knelt down, gently taking my hand. “SS rank adventurer and sixth tier Light mage, at your service.” He kissed the back of my hand and stood with a wink. “I'll be taking my leave now, come find me if you need anything, Lady Mira.”

He finally walked away, leaving me speechless as I wiped the back of my hand on my pants. I couldn't see it, but I assumed I had a clear look of disgust on my face now. Luci put her hand on my shoulder from behind.

“Don't think much about it Mira, most nobles are like that in the human kingdoms, and from the way he carries himself he's a fairly high ranking one.”

“Yeah…”

I understand he was simply making a polite gesture to me, but it just feels wrong and disgusting. It's just a simple kiss on the back of my hand, nothing more, so why do I feel like this? I didn't have to linger very long on those feelings, however, because the commander was talking to us next.

“I take it you three are headed back to the Guild?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Then, can I ask you to escort a messenger to Lithhelm with you?”

“Sure, we can do that.”

“Right this way then.”

The wolfman led us to the southern gate that we first entered from. Waiting for us was an open- top wagon that we climbed up onto. The commander left us alone, and a couple minutes later the messenger - our driver - arrived. We set off quickly, aiming to return before sunrise. 

About an hour into the ride, I was feeling bored. This late into the night, I would normally be trying to sleep, but if we're escorting this wagon that's not much of a possibility. I wasn't necessarily tired, but I didn't have anything to do besides stare into the forest on the side of the wagon across from me. Before long, Rick decided to break the silence.

“You know guys, I've been thinking…”

“What is it?”

“Well… I'll just be blunt. I'm probably going to quit when we get back. Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed adventuring with you two. It was honestly the best time of my life. But - and I know adventuring isn't supposed to be easy - I'm simply just not cut out for this type of stuff you're doin’. I mean, we just fought an entire army, and all we really did was stall until that Isaac guy got there. Not to mention, even when we're fighting normal enemies, I'm still barely any help. I'll still stick around the Territories for a while, but after that I'll be goin’ back home.”

That was… sudden. To say the least. I never knew he felt that way about it, but I guess he's made up his mind already. If he wants to leave the party, I'm not going to stop him. Judging from her tone, it seemed Luci had the same idea as she responded before I did.

“You've made up your mind then?”

“Yes. Besides, with the money we've made, I could live comfortably for the rest of my life. I'm sure you two are going to keep doing great things in life. Just make sure to remember me when you do.”

It was my turn to speak this time.

“You better believe we will. You've been with us since our first quest. No matter how many more people come through our party, you'll always be the first.”

“Thought you'd say somethin’ like that. Let's go out drinkin’ tomorrow, throw a whole damn party while we're at it! I had fun with you guys, I really did.”

“Hell yeah. We'll party hard when we get back. Maybe we could get Leo and his group there too.”

“They damn better show up. Wanna just start plannin’ now? Nothin’ better to do anyway.”

“Sure. You got any idea Luci?”

“Yes, actually…”

While we were discussing plans for the sudden ‘retirement’ party, the remaining hours of the trip flew by. Rick knew a good tavern in Lithhelm, so the plan was to invite the former members of the Instigators and spend the day drinking. For now though, we're just going to report to the Guildmaster and head back to the inn for the rest of the night. It's actually kinda hard to believe he's actually leaving. I understand his reasoning, and I know he's made up his mind already, but it's gonna be weird adventuring without him. 

We got off the wagon at the Guild, and after making sure we had anything the messenger set off to make his own report. It was technically before the ‘opening’ time of the Guild, but I knew it was at least at a time where the staff was starting to arrive, so we would have an easier time reaching the Guildmaster. Gina was already here when we entered.

“Back already? I thought you guys were joining the defenses…”

“Don't worry, we did. That's why we're here so early, it's a bit of an important report.”

“I see. I take it you were successful since you're here now. I'll go get the Guildmaster.”

The harekin woman turned and disappeared through the door behind the counter. A few short minutes later, she returned with her boss, who clearly just woke up. She was drowsily rubbing her eye while wearing a nightgown.

“Okay… I assume the Shadows were eliminated? Make your report quick. I wanna go back to sleep.”

“Yes. The enemy was taken care of. When we arrived, we learned that they multiplied since you got your previous report. Their numbers reached the millions, at the very least. We were actually about to be overrun, but an SS rank adventurer from Osakara named Isa-”

The door to the Guild burst open, cutting off my sentence. The intruder - a foxkin man - ran to the counter beside us, where Gina stood. He slammed his hands down and spoke in a panicked voice.

“I need to make an urgent request! For the S rank party here!”

“Um, calm down, sir. For an urgent request you need to speak with the Guildmaster after making an appoin-”

“It's fine. What's the request?”

“It's the chief! The Shadows got her! They attacked the village and a few slipped in after the fight when our guard was down! The flying ones abducted her and flew away! We’ll match any reward requested, we just request the S rank party here, the one that specializes in fighting these things!”

“Hm… Ask them if they'll take the quest. They're right here.”

“Right! Did you hear all that? Will you help?”

The foxkin was on his hands and knees, begging us to help.

“Um… I'll be willing to do what I can. Luci? Rick?”

“I'll be fine too but…”

“Hmm… What the hell, I'll do it. I can wait for one more quest before I settle down.”

“There you have it then. My party, Claws of the Orange Fox, will accept your quest.”

“Thank you! Let's set off as soon as we can!”

The Guildmaster waved with an amused smile before turning back to her door.

“Just finish your report when you're back. I'm going back to sleep. If I even can that is. Shadows actually acting intelligently… That's good nightmare fuel there…”

She left to return to her chambers as we left the Guild. Our transportation was the same type of wagon we rode here on. We boarded, and this time I sat in front with the driver. Rick and Luci took the back, as they needed to sleep. I've figured out at this point that I don't need as much sleep as other people for some reason. Specifically, after a month of hunting Shadows, there were several quests where we had to stay up for a few nights, and I learned I can make it around three days before I'm really tired. 

We set off, with our destination being the foxkin Tribes - the only place in the Territories I haven't actually been yet. After a few minutes, the others were already asleep, and the foxxkin man started speaking.

“So… You're Mira, right?”

“Yes. Did I tell you already?”

“Uh, no. I heard about you when I was sent to request your party. Is it true you can use all six elements?”

“Yeah. And up to the seventh tier.”

“Damn, that's impressive. Oh yeah, I'm Adrian, by the way.”

“Nice to meet you then, Adrian.”

“Anyway, why'd you name your party ‘Claws of the Orange Fox?’”

“That's a bit of a story. Go ahead and think I'm crazy if you want, but I woke up in a forest in Pristella a bit over a month ago, maybe close to two months now. I have no memories of anything before that, and I keep having strange visions that might actually be my past. Almost all of these visions have had a foxkin girl with orange hair, so that's where I got my party's name.”

“You said nearly two months ago? That's too much of a coincidence…”

“How so?”

“Hm… Basically, someone really close to the chief passed around that time, and the chief is a ‘foxkin girl with orange hair.’ Coincidentally, her lover happened to be the only person other than you to ever have the ability to use all elemental magic. I just think you remind me of him. I hope you do manage to figure out your past.”

“Thanks. You know, you're a nice guy to talk to.” I took a moment to pause and think about what to say next. “I'll make sure I bring your chief back. You can count on that.”

“That's reassuring to hear, but I still can't help but worry. I trust you'll try your best though, and that's the best I can hope for.”

I nodded silently. This is a lot of pressure. My task is to rescue the leader of what can pretty much count as a country. Not only that, but I have a feeling that the orange fox from my visions is the very same one as their chief. If that's true, then that's even more reason to make sure I save her. 

We arrived at noon, passing through the gates to the village of the foxkin. My life is about to become a whole lot more hectic.

20