Self Discovery
312 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Regret. Fear. Trust. Hope. Alone in the black void suddenly filling my vision, I somehow felt all of these, yet none of these. 

Other than my surroundings, it didn't seem like anything had changed. My body was still the same. My memories - or more specifically my lack of memories - were also still the same.

That being the case, what is this emptiness I feel? I'm feeling all of these different emotions, and yet I have no knowledge of why I feel them.

I feel the regret of leaving someone behind, but I don't know who I abandoned.

I feel the fear of facing a deadly foe, but I don't know who my enemy is.

I feel the trust of an ally watching my back, but I don't know who my companion is.

I feel the hope that no matter what happens, I will come out on top, but I don't even know what I'm fighting for.

I've never had these thoughts or emotions in this way before, but standing here, surrounded by nothingness, my only company is my own mind.

Lost in thought, I barely noticed the bright light appear in front of me. It quickly formed the shape of a woman, and soon became one entirely. She could only be described as the absolute peak of all beauty. Smooth, golden hair ran down her back, finally coming to rest at her waist. She had a mostly slim figure, but somehow her hips and bust that would usually be considered oversized managed to fit perfectly with the rest of her build. On the topic of her body, the outfit covering it was… interesting, to say the least. The clothes she wore were all white with golden trim and resembled the letter ‘V’, showing a lot of cleavage, as well as the sides of her stomach. It connected to a sort of miniskirt that left a small gap where you could see her thighs before they were hidden yet again by stockings that ended at her ankles. She wore sandles as shoes, and her left arm had a glove that covered her hand and forearm.

She looked at me with shining, silver eyes, and parted her smiling lips to speak.

“It's been a while, hasn't it?”

Have we… met before? 

I tried to speak, but for some reason, my mouth never opened, and the words never came out.

“Rest assured, I can understand you. And yes, this is our second meeting. Time is short this time, so I must be quick. As I told you last time, removing your memories was necessary, otherwise I couldn't give you your new body. It may not make sense, but bear with me, nothing here does. Also, you may be Mira now, but you were formerly named Kenshi Ryuto. Do with that information what you will.”

Wait. Does that mean…

“Yes. In your previous life, you were Kinokara's younger brother, and Setsuna's lover. Again, I don't care what you do with that knowledge. Tell them, or don't - I could care less. In any case, I must tell you what I'm here for. When I revived you, I set a condition for us to meet again. That condition was fulfilled when you reunited with Setsuna. However, I cannot make contact again in this way. My task for you is this: Continue fighting against the spreading darkness. I can not see the future, but this predicament is… familiar. In Chinoko's most dire hour, seek out the place closest to me, and only there, can I grant salvation.”

She spread her arms out wide, and a bright light began emanating from her. Somehow, I knew that my time in this place was running out.

Wait! Can you explain what all this means? Who even are you?

“I am sorry, my child. I believe I have made it clear that I would be unable to maintain this connection for long. As for your other question, that is valid. I am called…”

Before she could finish telling me her name, she faded from my sight, dissapearing in just as magnificent a display of light as when she appeared. I was once again left alone with my thoughts in this empty void. Who was she really? Judging from her looks, and the way she spoke, she must've been some kind of goddess. So that would mean… Ah! She must've been the Goddess: Arduin!

Realizing that fact, I found my consciousness fading. Or maybe it was the opposite, since I was passed out last I checked. Whatever it was, I found myself returning to reality from my meeting with the Goddess.

[...up. Wake up.]

“Ah!”

I opened my eyes, looking straight into the sun. I reflexively covered them with my arm as I heard Kino speak… above me.

“Ah, you're awake. You worried us when you suddenly passed out like that…”

“Er… sorry ‘bout that. And are you, um-”

“Giving you a lap pillow? Yes, I am. Least I could do after you saved my sister-in-law like that. Though, I'd appreciate it if you could get up now. My legs are numb, we've been moving since sunrise.”

“Right.”

I sat up next to Kino, in a wagon. Looking at the sun, it was a little before noon. Adrian was driving the cart, and on the seat across from me were the three girls we just rescued, all with varying expressions. They sat with Setsuna directly in front of me, and to her right were Freiya's daughter and the yellow-haired girl. Those two were looking at me with grateful, friendly expressions, but Setsuna seemed… distrusting. There was an awkward silence, until Freiya - sitting on the other side of Kino - broke it.

“So, Mira. Your quest is complete now, have you decided on a reward yet?”

“Not yet, no.”

“I see. As long as it's not too outrageous, I'm sure the Council will allow it, so think about it.”

A reward. I haven't thought about it yet, but I do think I remember hearing something about that… All of a sudden, the sword at my hip vibrated, and I heard a voice in my head as Setsuna's glare shot to the weapon.

[Say you don't need a reward. Specifically by saying ‘No reward is greater than being here, with you by my side.’ Trust me on this one.]

Hm?

[Yes, I'm your sword, and yes, I'm talking. Nothing strange here, so you can go ahead and say that line.]

I'm sorry, what?

[Come on, say it. You won't be dissapointed.]

Um… no? I do kind of want a reward. 

[I'm telling you, you'll get a much better reward than you would otherwise, so say it already.]

Fine, fine. I take it you're gonna be my sword from now on, so if this some kind of prank I'm gonna find a way to make you suffer.

[Woah there! No need to go that far!]

I hope not.

“Actually, I don't think I'll need a reward.” All eyes were back on me now, wondering why I was saying that all of a sudden. “After all, ‘No reward is greater than being here, with you by my side.’”

Everyone just stared at me like I was going crazy, and I don't blame them - I was just talking to a sword inside of my head a minute ago. That only lasted for a moment, however, because realization dawned on Setsuna, and her eyes widened in suprise before furrowing her brow in suspicion.

“The sword told you to say that, didn't it.”

[Damn, she got me.] 

“I heard it vibrating like it was saying something, so it told you to say that, right?”

“Uh… yeah. It did. Though, I guess I don't really need any sort of reward anyway. Could you tell me what exactly that line meant? I am a little curious why it wanted me to say that.”

“Hm… Fine. I'll tell you. That's what Ren - Kino's brother - said when he proposed to me. I don't know what kind of sick joke that sword’s trying to play right now, but I really don't appreciate it.”

“Ah. Sorry about that.”

“Hah… Don't be.” In the course of her previous statement, she seemed to ease up on her expression a little, seemingly a little more trusting of me now. Maybe that's what the sword was trying to do? “This is still so… confusing, though. Why are you so much like him? His sword, his attributes, even a little bit of his personality is showing in you.”

She sounded like those last few sentences weren't meant for other ears, but I heard them anyway. It was then that I remembered what the Goddess had just told me. That I am - or at least was - the man in question. I guess she said she didn't care what to do with the information, so…

“I've got something I need to tell you all. I'm not sure how many of you know about my memories and the fact they they only go back to the start of the twin-sun period, but while I was unconscious, I learned who I was before then. I don't have any of the actual memories back yet, but I met the Goddess, and she was able to fill me in.”

“That was the same time…”

“Yeah. From what she told me, I gathered that I had died, and revived me somehow. The most important thing she told me, though, is my previous name. Kenshi Ryuto.”

No words to leave my mouth have ever had this large of an impact before. Freiya simply looked like she was surprised, but had at least considered this possibility. The two girls whose names I still don't know wore similar expressions, although theirs seemed like they were pure shock. Kino seemed like she had already come to terms with the fact, but still didn't want to believe it. Setsuna looked almost too trusting, the complete opposite of how she was just a few minutes ago. I could tears starting to form in her eyes, and the words to come from her mouth sounded as if she had lost all reason upon hearing the name.

“I-I-You- No. I need proof.”

Ah. I guess she wasn't all that trusting after all.

[I'm not enough? She should know by now that only you can draw me. Tell her that, and then tell her that if that isn't enough proof for her then I'll make sure to tell you what she used to do with me the first few weeks after she lost you.]

“Um, the sword says it should be enough proof, and if it isn't its threatening to tell me what you did to it during-”

“Okay, okay. I get it.” She glared at the katana, probably because of that comment. “But that doesn't mean you're the same Ren that I used to know. If you want things to be like before, then earn it. If you really are his reincarnation, then that should be easy for you.” The fox-girl turned her head to look behind the wagon, attempting to hide her now freely flowing tears while cutting off any further conversation.

I see what she's saying. She basically means ‘You made me fall for you once, so you'll have to do it again.’ And, to be honest, I wasn't entirely sure they'd believe me at all. This result is probably more than I could've hoped for. And besides, if Setsuna doesn't feel that way about ne right now… Yeah. I think I've made up my mind; I'll go talk to Luci after we get back.

Silence returned to the group as everyone handled the reveal in their own way, only to be broken by Kino after a minute.

“Mira.”

“Yeah?”

“Spar me.”

“...”

This is… sudden. Why would she want to spar?

“When we get back to the village. I need to know. I know how he fought better than anyone, so if you really are him… I want to see how you fight before I accept it.”

“I see. I'm fine with that.”

Kino nodded, and it seemed like we'd be doing that pretty soon here, as we were closing in on the village gate.

19