A game, or reality? Part 1
274 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Limitless Sky online], also known as “LSO”. A typical fantasy MMORPG…with not typical features. 

That's because although the game genre itself was so cliché, it had something that no other MMORPG currently possessed: ultra-vivid graphics and AI almost as realistic as humans.

The graphics are of such quality that when you see your character moving, it would give you the illusion of looking at a real medieval knight or magician with mystical powers being recorded by an unbreakable drone in the middle of a legendary battle. 

Plus, when using a virtual reality headset, you almost feel like you're there in person, although of course that's just a deception.

The most impressive thing in that regard is that, regardless of the number of players, NPCs and even monsters, there was no obvious lag in the graphics; even if you look for it on the screen or with the help of the virtual reality viewer.

The game was so realistic that it was scary, and players could already imagine that LSO would be a perfect candidate to test the rumored virtual reality capsules that have been in development for a year by {Nova}, the current leading neurotechnology company. 

Technology that promised to immerse yourself in a virtual environment as if it were real, and the game that could become a player's Second World. That alone became a cause of excitement and anxiety among the gaming community, who eagerly awaited the day the capsules are available on the market.

And don't forget the game's artificial intelligence that seems indistinguishable from real humans. The behavior, speech, and interaction with both the player and other NPCs has left many LSO players in awe to this day, causing many to wonder, “How is this possible, and why was there a need for it get so far?"

It was almost as if LSO was truly another world that players could only interact with using a PC. Especially since there are no fixed missions or events, but rather the actions of both the players and the NPCs themselves (and even monsters) can change the world itself to be different from what is established.

On the other hand, the size of the game itself was incredible. 

There were continents that were as large as the Asian continent and countless nations of various species and dungeons to explore. There were also special instances that took you to what seemed like other worlds, large and small, offering an almost unlimited amount of content to discover, as well as great freedom of action.

Plus….It even had an amazing translator that allowed you to communicate with players from other countries naturally!

According to the French company that created the game, {Lumière éternelle}, such a thing was made possible thanks to powerful computers and optical computers that worked using light with quantum principles, but there was not much detail about it.

Some theorized that superfluids like 'Liquid Light' were used in its creation, and others that they managed to create Photonic Crystals en masse to make it possible. It is even said that it may be a combination of both.

Regardless of what made the game so complex, enormous, and unique, players heaped praise on the creation of such a divine game, with some even shouting that they were dying to experience the game world with their own senses.

Such sentiments were shared by Nagasaki Ichiro, better known to his fellow gamers as Ichirou, the Heroic Merchant.

He was, more or less, your typical hardcore gamer, and an LSO player from the beginning. (Pretty much because he only got hooked on Sky Limits Online in his entire life, really.)

With an definitive trader occupation [Gold King] at Level 200 and 7 supreme class skills, Ichirou is one of the few who reached the pinnacle of trading in the game, as well as one of the few level beyond 100. 

He loved playing the game and exploring the continents and worlds it has to offer, as well as playing a merchant who uses his skills to improve the quality of life for commoners in many nations, funding raids against dangerous monster nests that nobles ignored for years. too long and became an investor in many magical projects that changed the continent, earning him the title 'Golden Hero of Midas'. 

Although he was just a merchant player without much combat power, he earned a heroic title involving an entire continent; he feat that no other player could do. 

That earned him fame among players compared to those who earned heroic titles by simply saving a Duchy or an entire Kingdom.

His feat achieved through gold would be forever remembered in the Hall of Fame, and NPCs would sing his name in praise for his charitable actions that changed countless lives. That alone filled him with pride.

He, like any other player, waited for the day when the capsules would come out that would allow him to experience fame and wealth personally, laughing and dancing with the NPCs who admired him as the greatest philanthropist of the century, and even marrying a princess of some kind. of the nations that favor him and live large in virtual reality without worrying much about reality.

However...life always has other plans, no matter how absurd they may seem.

The drastic change in his and others' lives came when Ichirou was participating in a rare player-designed Earthling costume event along with some in-game friends. It was like a festival that you could only participate in if you were dressed in modern or historical clothing, with many interesting prizes created by skilled craftsmen.

Each of them had heroic titles given by the world, but for the sake of the event their avatars wore clothing in the style of Greek nobles by agreement between them (Actually two of them did not cooperate with that, one altered his clothing so that said “you lose if you work” and the last one was actually an NPC who refused to wear any non-maid clothing, even if it's not an event) when suddenly, Ichirou was enveloped by a dazzling light.

He thought the VR headset he was using was the problem and took it off, but it wasn't. His bachelor room, surprisingly tidy for an inveterate gambler, was suddenly covered by that heavenly light...and he fell into unconsciousness.

By the time he regained consciousness, Ichirou discovered to his astonishment that he was in the middle of what looked like a ritual hall with a mural of a white-haired goddess and extremely religious men praying.

When he looked around, he realized that it was a huge room. It seemed like the entire room was made of marble, and she had seen very few places on the Midas continent that could be comparable in splendor. The entire building had a soft white glow, with huge, beautifully carved pillars supporting the vaulted ceiling. 

It looked like a cathedral and the room had a very solemn atmosphere.

It seemed that he and a group of people were on top of a pedestal that was in the innermost area of ​​the building. It was in an area higher than the surrounding area. Those people also seemed amazed at what they were seeing, and they all seemed to come from some cosplay convention.

However, despite the sudden situation in which it would not be strange to think that he was kidnapped, he would quickly notice that these people were quite familiar to him; especially because of the Greek clothes that most of them wore.

"Eh?"

Don't these people look like my friends' avatars?

He didn't think he was wrong; since three of those individuals did not wear Greek clothing. Some elf twins in Mikos costumes, and a maid. Actually, the latter should be an NPC with a heroic title who liked to wear maid's clothes and accompanied them as her companion but...

Ichirou checked his clothes, being surprised to discover that he too was dressed like a Greek. What kind of joke is this? He asked himself.

No no, that's not important right now.

Shaking his head nervously, Ichirou saw an old man dressed like some kind of prestigious priest approach them with a kind smile.

In particular he looked to be about 74 years old, but what made him stand out was his very formal 30cm tall hat. Even at his advanced age, he wore a striking robe. He might have looked like someone in his 60s, if it weren't for the deep wrinkles on his face.

The old priest spoke to them in a clear and calm voice, befitting his appearance, and with a staff in his hand.

"Welcome to Tsula, our Heroes and your compatriots. We welcome you all. My name is Lambard Sylter and I am the Cardinal of the Church of Salvation. Let us get along, please."

After introducing himself, he revealed a smile, usually associated with kind elders.

Heroes? We certainly have heroic titles. So is this one of those in-game events that require players with heroic titles? Ichirou's mind naturally conjured up several LSO events that only those with heroic titles could participate in, and then he shook his head.

No wait. I think I remember taking off my visor in front of that bright light...plus the ground feels too real...

So what is all this? Don't tell me we were transported to another world with our game characters? 

That's ridiculous…. impossible... there is no way something like this would happen...

So, kidnapping...? I don't know about the others around me, but I'm not valuable enough to be kidnapped. A hidden camera? No way, no one would do something like that unless they wanted to go to prison. At the very least, I would accuse them of kidnapping instead of laughing if this were a joke!

So Ichirou thought seriously as he stared at the old man in front of him, who began to speak with a respectful but dignified tone.

"Please follow me, heroes. You will be informed of the situation."

Considering that he should not do or say anything rash in case he might have actually been kidnapped by dangerous people from some strange cult, Ichirou silently followed the rest who were led to the main door of the church. 

The others also acted obediently, perhaps thinking similarly to him, or perhaps they were part of this fiasco.

Lambard told them on the way that the cathedral was located on the "Heavenly Mountain Yurajar", and at the foot of it was the capital of the Holy Empire Astra. The Holy Empire has a very close relationship with the Church and the goddess they worshiped, the Holy Goddess Nyvalis. The relationship was strong because the Holy Emperors are as influential on a religious level as the Popes of the church.

They were going to descend the mountain and visit the Imperial Palace. The cathedral was located on the top of the "Yurajar Heavenly Mountain".

I have never heard of the Goddess Nyvalis or this Heavenly Mountain, but her story sounds strangely convincing, as if it were true. He couldn't help but think like that when he saw the man tell everything as if it were common sense.

When the majestic doors of the church opened, a sea of ​​clouds welcomed him... with two twin suns in the sky, proudly displaying their heavenly grandeur with their light.

This…..What the hell? Is this really another world? 

<It seems that is the case, given the two stellar bodies in the sky> A female voice suddenly echoed in his head, answering him as he looked in awe at the alien scene before him.

Eh? Wh–?

<Stay still, Ichirou-sama! You wouldn't want to attract the suspicion of our summoners, would you? It would be a bad idea to let them know that we can communicate without speaking...although currently Ichirou-sama is the only one I can communicate with...> 

The voice told him in a strict and familiar tone that he was used to while speaking. Instantly he, who was about to turn around to search for the source of the voice, froze as he nodded slightly in agreement with a confused expression.

His steps had naturally faltered a little from the sudden phenomenon, but he managed to continue firmly while mentally asking in doubt.

….Priscilla?

<Yes?, it's me. How stupid could you be about the sudden situation that you wouldn't recognize me, Ichirou-sama? This isn't the first time we've suddenly ended up in another world, so I find his somewhat idiotic attitude disconcerting>

“..”

<Although it is the first time I see a world with a civilization similar or equal to Human, advanced enough in magic to…..Ichirou-sama? Is he listening to Me, or do I have to shout into her brain ear to make her hear what I say?>

“..”

Yes, that fake respectful tone with unnecessarily sarcastic words is from Priscilla, the NPC who followed them because she had to serve other heroes as a maid or something.

For some reason…. Ichirou could now speak telepathically with what should have been an NPC within a game, which left him stunned.

Meanwhile, the self-proclaimed Cardinal finished chanting a spell, causing the magic formation on the pedestal they were on to glow with soft, white light. The pedestal began to move. The pedestal began to advance smoothly as if it were a cable car, moving diagonally towards the ground.

Apparently, the "incantation" activated the magic formation carved on the pedestal.

Everyone, including Ichirou, looked at the magic circle in surprise and exclaimed in disbelief. Only Priscilla spoke calmly before the scene.

<It's just a magic circle with anti-gravity charms and directed telekinesis. What's with that overreaction? They are all acting strange...Did the summoning of these indigenous people make them forget magic or did they become stupid? But I don't feel less intelligent...>

....That's because you are an NPC used to virtual magic!

Ichirou roared in his head, his expression frozen.

Even if the game is extremely realistic, it's another thing to see magic in the real world, okay?

9