~ Chapter Twenty Two : Settling ~
503 7 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Damn it, Sabine!" Lynx returned to the pool adorned various seaweeds clumps hanging from their hair and neck a few minutes later, rubbing their stomach with a look of mock hurt plastered on their face.

"You doused my skewers in pool water!" Sabine's retort made Lynx turn their head in an effort to avoid the accusation, but Sabine's sudden smile coupled with her swimming over to the edge of the pool, with her hand extended to Lynx holding the soggy skewer.

"Since you wanted a skewer, you can have my last one." Sabine's seemingly honest look made Lynx look at the water logged skewer in disgust, then turned their gaze to Sabine.

"Not hungry!" Lynx quickly dislodged the sea ornaments from their body and then jumped back into the pool, landing gently enough to only send slight ripples through the water.

"Sabine, how was your vacation time? You stopped going to school, so I grew curious as to what you'd been up to." Athene asked, her blue eyes flickering, and Ekaterina felt that no matter Sabine's response, another question would follow the first.

"It was fine... I have a new sister now, and she's awesome. I did end up in a bit of trouble, but it's resolved now for the most part." 

Sabine's glossing over the near death experience she had didn't exactly surprise Ekaterina. The easygoing mood that had finally come about would shift from celebratory to pensive upon the vampires learning of Sabine's accident.

"So what do you like most about her?" Athene's question caught quite a few people by surprise, Ekaterina, Sabine, Theo who made a startled sound, and Lulu, who quickly covered Athene's mouth.

"You can't ask something so private like that! What if you make things awkward between them for a decade!" Lulu's wings fluttered with her agitated exclamation, but the person who had been asked the question only rolled her eyes.

"We can always count on you to ask the most random questions, Athene." Sabine's almost joking words caused Lulu to pat her chest in relief, no longer fearing an awkward situation as greatly as she had previously.

Ekaterina floated on her green tube, not entirely sure what she felt at the moment. On one hand, she was slightly disappointed. Sabine had chosen to dodge the question, but then again, a part of her also felt relieved.

"Well, so I have a human friend I found online, and we decided to have a meet up in real life, but since you two will be attending school, I think I'll brush up on interacting with humans and go with you." Lynx nodded to Sabine, and Lulu, whose butterfly wings flapped nervously.

"I've never been to school before... Or interacted with humans much since I've been a vampire. Lady Tatiana said humans will catch me and lock me up so I can grant their wishes if I snuck out." Lulu's bright eyes danced with blue fluorescent motes of magical energy, and the pair of gorgeous wings on her back vanished.

"I don't think humans are so scary, but I don't want to get locked up either. Since Lady Tatiana told me to go on vacation, I wanted to explore the human world, but I ended up staying in my cabin..." Lulu's blue eyes fell, and her voice grew fainter.

"You do know you aren't a fairy right, Lulu?" Theo's curious question made Lulu's face flush, an extremely rare feat Ekaterina realized as vampire's bodies lacked the blood that enabled blushing.

"I'm not an idiot like you, Theo! But what if a human sees my wings and tries to make me grant their wishes? I can't grant wishes just because I look like a fairy!" Lulu's question made the group a bit speechless with her.

"Then why are you thinking so much about it?" Lynx's question made several people nod, Ekaterina finding herself nodding slightly as well.

"Because... I look like a fairy... But I can't grant wishes, even if humans think I can." Apparently, Lulu's explanation either answered Lynx's question, or they just gave up on trying to understand.

"You used magic to hide your wings, right?" Recalling the fluctuations of magical power, although it wasn't on the absurd scale of Heidi, Selene, and the other demons, Lulu's magical skills were there.

"Smaller things are easy, but when I try to use bigger spells, I just mess up." Lulu pouted, and without Ekaterina's acknowledgment, a semi illusory grassland expanded outwards and covered the group within.

"A Phantasm?! You're a demon, Ekaterina?!" Lulu's blue eyes glimmered with amazement and awe, while Ekaterina could only maintain her sitting position in her tube with a bewildered look.

"No... Not really..." While Ekaterina knew next to nothing about magic, the girl inside her Vision could simply bypass her lack of magical knowledge and wield Ekaterina's magical energy herself.

"You can consider Ekaterina a really young demon." Selene's silvery head of hair drenched in water poked out from beneath Ekaterina's tube, pushing against Ekaterina's butt and sending her off her tube and into the cool water.

"Whoopsies." Not even bothering to hide her mischievous smile, she quickly climbed on to the tube, and then floated away with a look of satisfaction, even going as far as to narrow her eyes and look at Ekaterina haughtily.

"I..." Ekaterina wasn't sure what to do. On one hand, Selene was the oldest demon, and her magical capability was amongst the top, and she was also her teacher.

But on the other hand, Selene blatantly stole her tube she'd been reluctant to part with, as she had been making sure she stayed inside of it firmly so the tube wasn't stolen.

'Were you showing off?' Ekaterina redirected her thoughts away from the smug Selene and instead asked the girl who existed within her Vision a question.

'No~ I was trying to keep Selene away, but she closed our Phantasm~' The girl's slightly unhappy voice sounded in Ekaterina's head, prompting Ekaterina to tilt her head in confusion.

'It's okay, Selene is strong. She's just playful.' Ekaterina briefly comforted the girl and then swam, her body smoothly moving through the water with far more ease and grace than she could recall possessing as a human.

"Ekaterina, will you go to school? It's not like... human society where you learn things, we just hang out." Lynx somehow managed to doggy paddle with all the grace of an agitated dog, splashing water into Ekaterina's eyes and mouth as they swam over.

"I'm not sure... I'm still new to being a vampire, and my self-control is..." Ekaterina wasn't sure how she would treat a live human, whether she would see them as a life, or simply a meal, but she was hesitant.

"Bloodlust... Right.... So, there's really no cheat or trick to help with it. If you feel yourself getting thirsty, just try to leave the area as quickly as you can or have one of us with you so we could help out." Lynx flexed their bicep with a smug look.

"I'm stronger than you by quite a bit, so we can make sure nothing bad happens." While Lynx offered such an alternative, Selene returned manning Ekaterina's stolen green inflatable tube by magic, moving through the vampires with ease.

"Magical applications are vast. If you ever feel like you're losing control, channel all your magical energy into your Phantasm. When you feel the remaining strength in your body, you won't be too concerned about drinking anyone." 

Selene then spun the tube around Ekaterina, and even Ekaterina, who was good-natured, felt a bit annoyed. She grabbed the tube, with Selene on top, and threw it upwards.

While Ekaterina's strength wasn't as immense as the older vampires, Ekaterina's strength as a vampire was far beyond a humans, and Selene and her tube were thrown into the air.

Magical energy spread outwards and Selene's momentum halted, and instead of falling back to the pool, she floated in the air on her tube, her kicking legs showing how at ease she was floating nearly fifty feet above the pool.

The next few minutes passed in a blur of colors, as Safiya began constructing figures and animal shapes on the water's surface, while Tatiana appeared next to Lulu in a haze of green magical energy.

"Boss!" Facing Lulu's exclamation, Tatiana rolled her purple eyes, her queenly regal bearing becoming closer to a normal girl's instead of an ancient demon ruling a Court of Faeries as Queen. 

"Dear, you're as energetic as ever." Tatiana's pointed ears, devoid of her golden ornaments she wore the first time and the exquisite bikini made Ekaterina realize Heidi's swimsuit also seemed impossible to wear normally.

"Oh, what's this? Are you interested in my body, Ekaterina?" Perhaps her staring was too straightforward, but aside from a bit of teasing, Tatiana didn't mind at all.

"I was just curious as to how you put on the swimsuit." Although Ekaterina felt a bit awkward voicing her thoughts outright in front of people she didn't know too well, she didn't want to be considered a pervert either.

"That... It's made from magical energy, so I could add as many straps as I wished because the clothes form on me, I don't have to go through the trouble of putting them on." Tatiana waved her hand, and a fingerless white glove formed from magical energy.

"But if I disperse my magical energy, the clothes will also vanish, so if you're going to be doing anything strenuous and you feel like magical energy might be limited, use actual clothes." Tatiana allowed Ekaterina and the others to touch her glove, then dispersed the magical energy forming it.

"Unless you feel like giving your opponent some benefits." Tatiana chuckled softly, her bright purple eyes twinkling in the moonlight, making her seem more like an illusory and mythical elf than a vampire.

'Benefits like showing your opponent your naked body when you run out of magical energy or if you disperse all of it~' The girl's voice held a sense of disgust she didn't even try to hide.

Sabine coughed, but the awkward silence was broken when Heidi waded into the pool, Millie in her arms, wearing a smile with more happiness than anything else contained within, while Millie simply hugged Heidi, her wide golden eyes scanning the party curiously.

"Is she okay?" Ekaterina, recalling the gruesome images of Millie's body, couldn't find any sign of the injuries, and Millie herself, aside from being in a younger form, didn't seem too out of it.

"Millie? Yes, she is. Unfortunately, her body was partially burnt by the sun, so until she can recover her remaining mass naturally, she won't be able to assume an adult appearance." Tatiana clicked her tongue in a tone of sadness, but with amusement mixed in.

"Since being a doctor with her appearance stuck as a child is impossible, the happiest person she's small is Heidi." Indeed, although Heidi often gave calm and serious feelings, Heidi visibly cherished the now smaller Millie a lot.

Sabine swam over to Ekaterina, circling her with practiced ease. Ekaterina wasn't sure a human could replicate, as the water would hinder their range of motions while a vampire could simply forcefully use their strength.

"We're going to head to the Starikov Estate on the Iistrovia Continent, then we'll return to the Oceanic Dominion State's mainland. The school isn't one we've been to before, but it will be somewhere on the Oceanic Dominion Continent's mainland as well." Sabine clapped her hands in anticipation.

"We have to buy you clothes for school! If you go..." While Sabine's green eyes fell at the second part of her sentence, the longing to go shopping with Ekaterina could be felt clearly in her green orbs.

"I'll come along if it's a public trip, I need to update my wardrobe." While Athene agreed immediately, Lulu crossed her arms and didn't immediately speak.

"Lulu, you should go with them. Being cooped up inside isn't the greatest use of your time if you plan to go attend school, too." Tatiana lay with her arms across the pool rim and her long but perfectly shaped legs on full display.

"I'll drag her along." Lynx patted their chest with a smile Ekaterina was sure wasn't one full of good intentions, but without the side huff from Tatiana mocking Lynx, everything went well.

"You shouldn't worry about Lulu, Lynx. Athene, Sabine, or Ekaterina can help Lulu with shopping." While Tatiana's words were gentle enough, the blandness within made Lynx laugh. 

Lulu also considered having friends of the same gender who could match her clothes for her easily was a huge benefit that made her sapphire blue eyes shine.

"Okay, I will! Thank you in advance, Sabine, Athene, and Ekaterina! I will buy you three presents!" Lulu patted her chest and swore seriously and her wings reappeared, and while Ekaterina, despite not being the sort of person who lost their cool, couldn't help but stare at Lulu's  beautiful wings in amazement.

23