✨Part One✨
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The library was normally her sanctuary, today it was more like her prison. Beatrix Blackwood loved literature and history, but she hated math and science. Anything to do with numbers felt so constructive and cold, lacking any remnants of soul or life. As usual her feelings didn't correlate with reality. Despite being a sophomore she still didn't feel like she belonged in New Jersey's prestigious Graystone Academy. Beatrix always felt like a stranger in her town but more so in her highschool. She had nothing in common with the other students, who seemed to care only about grades, money, and popularity. She had a secret that she could never share with anyone, a secret that made her different and in turn also made her lonely. She felt like a bird in a guilded cage, born into safety and wealth, yet still longing to fly free and explore the wonders of who she really was. The wonders of which her mother constantly implored her to keep hidden. Or at the least the freedom to fly away from her Algebra homework that was due next period. She was struggling with a problem, when she heard an unexpected soft whisper in her ear.

"I'd choose B if I were you."

She looked over and saw a boy she'd never seen before. He had a warm smile, brown messy hair, and the most mesmerizing cloudy gray eyes she had ever seen. They seemed to hold a secret that only he knew. She felt a rush of heat fill her cheeks as he sat down next to her.

She shoved down all questions about why this handsome stranger made her blush and in an equally hushed tone she replied, "Thanks, but what exactly makes you the Algebra expert? And I don't think I've seen you around before."

"My algebra credentials are super solid." Proudly, he stuck out his chin and continued, "I'll have you know you're in the presence of the fourth place winner for the NYC Math Olympiad Tournament." After, he sheepishly slumped down and said, "That's honestly my only brag, I don't win at much. I actually just transferred here today, names Avery." He extended his hand to her for a shake.

She hesitated for a moment, then took his hand and felt a jolt of electricity run through her. She quickly pulled away and looked at him with a hint of curiosity.

“Welcome to Greystone, or as I like to call it 'Gravestone', I’m Beatrix, and I’m obviously not Math Olympiad material as you can clearly see." She gestured to her blank worksheet. "What's worse is this is due next period so I got about thirty minutes to magically get a grasp on Algebra."

He chuckled and leaned closer to her. “Don’t worry, today's your lucky Monday. It's my Mathematical duty to help a fellow scholar in need." He slid her worksheet closer to him to get a better look. 

Beatrix raised her eyebrow and looked at him with a mix of gratitude and skepticism. She wasn't used to being helped, especially by a stranger. She learned to be independent at an early age, and to not expect much from others. Not that she had a choice in the matter. She always had a hard time making and keeping friends. On top of that living with her strict overprotective mother was no easy task. Beatrix had to make the best of her solitude, using her time to learn what she could about her heritage and her family's secret history. A topic her mother rarely shed light on. She learned to be resourceful and not to count on others for help. So all of Avery's inexplicable kindness and attention was new to her, so naturally she was a bit suspicious. 

"Thanks, I really appreciate it, but why do you want to help me? You don't even know me."

Without taking his eyes off the equations he shrugged and said "Well for starters, personally, I choose to use my Math powers for good not evil. Secondly, since I'm the 'new kid' I just so happen to be on the hunt for a friend or two. But mostly because I like math, I genuinely like to be helpful, and I like you." 

After letting that last statement hang in the air for what felt like forever, another blush found it's way to Beatrix's cheeks, somehow she managed to pull herself together and awkwardly replied, "I'm sorry, again I truly appreciate it, I'm just not used to being saved, most people tend to ignore me or they keep their distance." As soon as the words escaped her lips, she felt a spark of melancholy ignite in her chest. She quickly buried those feelings to the furthest corners of her mind and went on to say "How can I ever repay you?"

1