1|Retiring
109 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Main System Office

The room isn't just wide, it's boundless. Walls stretch forever, painted with the inky black of the deepest space. But forget the cold emptiness; here, the darkness shimmers with the soft luminescence of a million stars. 

They're not just pinpricks of light, but swirling nebulae, each a miniature galaxy in its own right. Some are vibrant swirls of turquoise and gold, others are wispy tendrils of lavender and rose. They pulse with an inner light, casting the room in a constantly shifting, ethereal glow.

Beneath a woman's feet, the floor isn't solid, but a shimmering expanse of stardust. Each grain shimmers with an inner fire, and as the woman walks, they dance and swirl around her ankles, leaving trails of glittering dust. 

There's no gravity here, so the woman drifted effortlessly, buoyed by the very magic of the place.

The ceiling transforms into a tapestry of constellations. They shift and shimmer, forming creatures and stories as old as time itself.

The air hums with a quiet melody, a cosmic symphony whispered by the stars themselves. It's a lullaby that resounded everywhere, soothing and calming one's soul. 

"It's been years since I last came here." The woman talked aloud. Her voice resonated far.

"Indeed." Another voice answered. Their voice is somewhere in between a man and a woman. 

"Do you know why I came here?" The woman asked, her tone a bit teasing in tone. 

"I do." The voice replied.

"You're not going to break the deal, are you, System 0?" The woman continued asking with a teasing tone. 

"No. I will fulfill the deal I have with you, System Task Taker Mae." The main system replied, monotone as ever as first heard by Mae. 

"You don't sound so unwilling to let me go." Mae chuckled. Her long black hair floated around. 

"I have done everything to extend your stay on this plane. You would throw a fuss if I ever held onto you again." The main system sounded, and Mae caught the bit of frustration in its androgynous voice. 

"Yeah, you're right about that." Mae shrugged and then smiled.

"You would let me retire peacefully, no? That's part of the contract I signed." 

"I will." The main system replied. 

The stardust beneath Mae shifted, forming constellations through the boundless room. Nebulae swirled overhead, their vibrant colors casting an ever-changing glow. Then, the light changed.

It coalesced in the center of the room, swirling and intensifying until it condensed into a golden sphere. As it pulsed, tendrils of light reached out, weaving the very essence of the stardust, a contract.

Its golden border shimmered, each intricate rune glowing faintly. The pages, impossibly thin yet heavy with untold essence, whispered untold stories. 

The pages fluttered open, revealing elegant script that seemed to dance across the surface. The pages stopped on the last one, where Mae's signature proudly showed itself. 

Mae traced the golden border, the coolness seeping into her skin. The room, once filled with dreamy wonder, now vibrated with a newfound energy. 

Mae sighed. 

"Your way of showing things is as dreamy as always, System 0." Mae praised. 

"I appreciate the compliment." The main system replied with a monotone voice. 

Mae held the contract with both hands, and using some force, tore it apart. 

Lightning crackled through the stardust room. The once alluring contract now pulsed with a malevolent red, the gilded runes contorting into ominous shapes. 

Reality shuddered.

The once vibrant nebulae morphed into storm clouds, their colors a cacophony of rage. As the torn halves of the contract disintegrated into motes of dust, the storm raged around.

The last ember of the contract vanished, and with it, the storm's fury. The air grew still, the darkness returning to its soft, shimmering luminescence. The stardust beneath Mae's feet settled, the constellations once again serene.

In the fading glow of the nebulae, Mae stood tall, a lone figure amidst the vastness.

But she wasn't alone for long. A faint shimmering started around her ankles, like stardust drawn to a magnet. 

It crept upwards, inch by inch, engulfing her legs in a luminous fog. Mae's once solid form began to waver, her features blurring at the edges.

"Goodbye, System 0." Mae laughed a farewell.

The shimmering engulfed her waist, then her chest, the stars swirling around her like a celestial gown.

Her arms dissolved next, followed by her face, a faint smile lingering on her lips. Her last sight was the swirling expanse of the room, a kaleidoscope of colors and wonder. 

Then, with a final exhale, she vanished entirely, leaving behind only an echo of starlight where she once stood.

The room remained quiet after a few minutes of silence. 

"Goodbye, Mae. I hope you like my little gift of parting." 

7