Chapter 18: Nox, You are lucky!
201 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nox and Linus looked at each other silently for a few seconds. Then a chuckle escaped Nox's lips, a low rumble at first that quickly grew into a full-throated laugh. Linus, a moment behind, couldn't hold back any longer. His shoulders shook, tears of mirth streaming down his face. The room echoed with their laughter.

Just when the laughter began to subside, a system message flashed across their vision.

[Warning: Disturbance detected in the real world. Forced log out in 5 seconds.]

"Disturbance?" Linus's smile froze at the words, confusion knitting his brow.

Nox swallowed hard, nervousness etching lines into his features. "Linus...isn't it time for the lecture?"

He looked at him and asked, "And who is going to take the first lecture?"

"Instructor Sylvan?" Linus replied with uncertainty, It was his first day so he wasn't familiar with the teachers here.

"Damn..." At the utterance of that name, Nox's complexion blanched as if a bucketful of ice water had been upended over him. Just at this moment the countdown reaches zero and as his vision goes black. 

'Not that guy. His mood changes faster than a squirrel hopping between trees in an acorn frenzy,' Nox inwardly grumbled as the real world rematerialized around him. 

As Nox's vision gradually came into focus, the first thing that caught his eye was a gaunt, ghastly visage mere inches away from his face.

'Sallow, hollow cheeks... Dark circles underscoring the eyes... and that familiar, unsettling toothy grin... It's Sylvan!' Nox regarded Sylvan, who was uncomfortably proximate, and forced a polite smile onto his features. "Good morning, Sir!"

Sylvan didn't say anything but just looked at him with a strange yet creepy smile on his face, finally he opened his mouth and said, ".. Good morning, But remember not to log into the virtual world during class next time."

"Y-Yes, Sir!" Nox forced out, suppressing an involuntary shudder as Sylvan's eerie grin seemed to bore into him.

After issuing the warning, Sylvan shifted his hollow gaze towards Linus, who had been observing the exchange with curious eyes. said with a smile, A grin stretched across Sylvan's sunken features as he addressed the new student, "Ah, you must be Linus? Fresh blood! I've read about your...accomplishments. Great things are expected of you."
Linus blinked, a puzzled look flashed his expression for a second which was soon replaced with polite but equally toothy grin, "Thank you, sir. I won't let you down."

"Excellent!" Sylvan clasped his bony hands together, swiveling to face the rest of the class. "That's the enthusiasm I want from all of you students, Understand?"

He straightened his drooping suit jacket as he continued, "Now, today we'll kick things off with combat training."

"Regroup with your assigned partners - we'll be proceeding to the training grounds shortly." With those words, Sylvan turned on his heel and started walking toward the podium with his hands clasped behind his back.

Linus shot Nox an inquisitive look. "Partners?" 

Nox leaned in, lowering his voice. "Yeah, we've been paired up for combat practice. Throughout the month, we'll be training as a team, and at the end of month there will be an assessment."

"Oh!" Linus nodded with understanding, "So I would get a partner too, huh? By the way, who is your partner Nox?"

"I-it's me. Thea." Linus heard a timid voice from behind and looked over, his eyes widening instantly.

Similar to yesterday, Thea remained enveloped in a thick garment that concealed every inch of her skin from view. At times, Nox couldn't help but wonder if she harboured some aversion to sunlight, akin to a vampire, that compelled her to cover her body so thoroughly even in the sweltering summer heat.

She stood there bashfully, her gaze downcast and fingers fidgeting nervously under Linus's curious stare.

"My god! Nox, you traitorous scoundrel!" Linus exclaimed with wide, accusatory eyes as he pointed a trembling finger at his friend. "Didn't you proclaim we were soulmates? How dare you betray our sacred bond?"

Nox's face went black as he felt the gaze of every classmate upon them, drawn by Linus melodramatic outburst.

"Keep your voice down, you fool!" he hissed under his breath, leaning in closer so only Linus could hear his rebuke. "We were never soulmates, and there's no need for such an overblown reaction. Thea and I are merely training partners, and your antics are making her uncomfortable."

True looking over Linus saw Thea looking down her face bright crimson under the scrutiny of their classmates.

Linus offered an abashed grin, raising his palms in a placating gesture. "My apologies, I spoke in haste." His eyes roamed over Thea's shrouded form appraisingly. "But you must admit, Nox, you've struck the jackpot with such an adorable training partner. A vision like that by my side, and I'd gladly endure combat drills from dusk 'til dawn without getting tired."

He bit his lip enviously. "How I wish I could be so fortunate..."

"There's no need for envy," Nox replied with a shake of his head, both amused and exasperated by his friend's theatrics. "Instructor Sylvan has paired each of us with a partner of the opposite gender for training purposes."

Linus's eyes lit up with undisguised glee. "Seriously? You mean to tell me I'll be paired with a lovely lady as well?" He unconsciously licked his lips in anticipation. "When? Where? How can I discover who my partner is to be?"

"Rather than pestering me, why don't you inquire with Instructor Sylvan directly?" Nox suggested wryly.

"An excellent idea!" Without further ado, Linus sprang up and rushed towards the eccentric instructor like a man possessed.

Nox could only shake his head helplessly, undecided whether to laugh or cry at his friend's antics. Turning to Thea, he offered her a reassuring smile. "Please, pay no mind to Linus's words. He's an old friend, and that's simply how his...exuberant personality manifests at times."

"I...I know he means no ill will." Thea gave him a polite yet understanding smile, as she settled gracefully into the seat beside him, hands disappearing back into the shrouding folds.

"And once again, I apologize for abruptly leaving yesterday. I had some work yesterday." Nox's shoulders slumped slightly as he spoke, one hand running through his tousled hair.

"No problem, We have plenty time. We can start the training from today onwards." Thea responded with a small nod, right now she was more relaxed than before.

"Have you asked your big brother what to do? About how to train?" Nox leaned in, furrowing his brow inquisitively as he posed the question, fingers drumming idly against the desk.

"Hmm, I asked but he said Sylvan would provide full guidance. He would give a tailored training method for each group, It's his speciality." Thea shook her head slowly, lips pursing contemplatively as she relayed her brother's words. She fidgeted with the ends of her sleeves nervously.

Guys, as you know, I'm competing on Webnovel. If you're able to, I'd really appreciate it if you could collect my book and leave some powerstones. Your support would be invaluable!

https://www.webnovel.com/book/transmigrated-to-a-world-where-sex-is-considered-boring_28778591900303905

10