Planning Ahead
72 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Casper should have shown the women his haul from the auction house earlier he thought, it would have made things a hell of alot easier for everyone. 

Sure, Casper was confident that the talks he had with each of the girls last night was a contributing factor in the more agreeable nature of the days excursion through the forest, but the biggest factor was the fact that all of them were lost in idle fantasy about what they would do with the sum of money he managed to acquire. 

When Casper and Annabelle returned to the camp, and Casper had shown her just how much loot he was carrying, he swore the woman looked ready to fall unconscious. More So than she already did, given the state of her. 

In fact, the money had been such a revelation, that no one seemed to notice that they both returned covered in blood, mud, and bruises. It wasn’t until Elisayra, who had been roused from her sleep due to the commotion, nearly screamed at the sight of Casper and Annabelle. 

Elisayra's attention on them in turn got everyone’s attention on them, which quickly turned into attention placed on Annabelle, when Casper explained what had happened. 

Casper knew he wasn’t the most aware of the cultural norms of this kingdom, but something in what he set scared the hell out of the girls, enough to reduce Elisayra to tears while Annabelle sat in stunned silence. 

By the time Laihal was able to calm the girl's emotions down enough for her to formulate a coherent sentence, the first thing she did was to beg for mercy on behalf of Annabelle. 

Looking around the camp, the others too seemed to be silently praying for forgiveness on behalf of the woman, which confused the hell out of Casper for a while. 

It was Nephinae who explained the situation to him then. 

Annabelle owed Casper a life debt, which extended a bit further than he had previously expected it seemed. 

The debtors' culture, and thus the culture of life debts themselves were based very heavily in the practices of old mages back when magic was far more prevalent, and before the higher races separated more dramatically into their respective domains of the heavens and hells.

All that was to say, that it was deeply ingrained in the culture of the kingdom and most of the surrounding kingdoms, that debt’s held magical significance over the soul of the person who both owed, or was owed. Furthermore a life debt specifically was a binding of one’s life to another, which came with an entire list of unwritten laws and assumed responsibility, one of which was the protection of the one to whom the debt was owed. 

If Casper was being honest with himself, most of it went right over his head, relying on far too much historical knowledge to make sense of the finer details. 

Even without the background information, the crux of the matter was this…

Annabelle, having beat the hell out of Casper, regardless of Casper's own initiation, had functionally broken this contract, or otherwise violated the perceived magical compact. 

No one had ever communed with the dead, but it was common knowledge that the afterlife, such as the heavens and hells were very real places, after all celestials and friends had to come from somewhere. Which meant, in some strange, roundabout manner based in old magical practice, Casper held in his hands the ability to influence the direction Annabelle’s soul would fall when it came time for her to pass. 

According to Nephinae, given that Annabelle had actively sought to harm him, he had the legal, and to their understanding the moral right to kill her outright, or seek out some retribution or compensation for the damage.

All of which sounded beyond insane to Casper, but then again he did not grow up in this culture, so it only made sense that it sounded weird to him. 

It took the better part of a half hour to talk the girls down from the edge as it were, and convince them that it was fine, and that the fight was mutual. He even went so far as to explain the unspoken rules of his home town, where mutual combat was a pretty frequent method used to release tension between two people, or otherwise find resolve. 

In the end, he ended up having to recite some words Nephinae told him to say to get anyone there to believe that he would not be killing Annabelle, nor sending her soul to hell when she died. Even after the words the tension remained between everyone, at least until Casper returned their attention to the sizable sum of money sitting right in front of them. 

For Annabelle, and Elisayra, that did the trick. Even Alex and Nephinae were pretty impressed, and it didn’t take too long before Annabelle and Elisayra’s enthusiasm became infectious. 

He couldn’t blame them either. He knew the bank notes were an incredible sum of money, tallying up to a total of 5 million gold marks worth, but he had never interacted with a bank personally, only ever seen his father engage with them, and the process looked tiresome all things considered. Besides, it’s not like he could really use these notes on the road. Not like roadside taverns had the coin on hand to make change for a 5000 gold mark note. 

However, even without the banknotes, it appeared he was wrong about the strange “half-silver” he had assumed was, well, worth half a silver. 

It took a few tries for Annabelle to calm herself enough to explain what exactly he had stumbled upon, but by the third try she had finally managed to say 

“Platinum!” 

Casper hadn’t even heard of that denomination of coin, and felt a little stupid for asking, but Annabelle was too thoroughly lost in the money she didn’t mind. 

Annabelle had explained that these were not “half silver.” But instead special coins typically only ever used by the incredibly wealthy. Noble houses, wealthy merchants or bishops of churches, used to purchase outrageously expensive items without needing to worry about banks. Each one of these marks was worth 100 gold pieces.

Casper had 20,000 of them. 

Sure it was less than the bank notes, but these were usable coins after all. It still might be a little hard for just anyone to make change for even one coin, but once they came into the next town it would be easier to find someone who could. 

While Annabelle and Elisayra walked side by side, discussing their fantasies of using the money to open up a tavern, or buying a castle, or a ship to sail across the crimson sea, Alex and Nephinae thumbed through the ownership deeds for the slaves. 

Of course none of the slaves were present at the auction house, and Casper had no idea where to even begin to look for them, but Alex and Nephinae were digging through the paperwork for those details. 

By now, The sun was high in the sky and their path of travel took them away from the incredibly dense sections of forest, through the more sparse collection of trees near the southernmost hills. 

It had been hours and hours of walking from pre-dawn till now, with only a few quick stops to allow the healing women a chance to catch their breath and ease their pain. 

Casper figured that it would have been even longer, had they not been relying on Laihal to help them navigate the forests. 

Truly the place was a maze. Even in sunlight, the rocky, uneven terrain made determining where you were a nightmare, and the dense trees with protruding roots and thick undergrowth that snagged on their clothes and scraped their skin and threatened to take their packs and shoes was even worse. 

Luckily, Laihal had spent quite literally her entire life in these forests, and turned what could have easily been a 3 or 4 day hike into a half day march. 

He understood now too, why Laihal had said that the tribals of these lands wore very little clothing. They could have gone through the forest even faster if they didn’t have to slow down so often to untangle pant legs from brambles or tunics from low hanging branches. 

Casper waited patiently as they walked. He didn’t want to interrupt the first tension-free moment in the group since having the nameless girl join their ranks, but still, he did want to talk to them more about the plan moving forward. 

As if reading his mind, the nameless girl began to match pace more with Casper, catching his attention and signaling that she would like to talk. 

“You two can figure it out?” Casper asked, looking to his left to Alex and Nephinae as they continued to sort through paperwork as they walked. 

“Yes master, we will let you know when we find any useful information.” Nephinae confirmed. 

With a nod, Casper broke off from the two women to approach the nameless girl a bit further up the line, closer to Laihal who was still leading them. 

“Is there a problem?” Casper asked cautiously as he searched her expression.

It had only been a couple of days, but she was already starting to look at the very least a little healthier he noticed. 

It would take alot of time before she put on a healthy amount of weight again, but notably her cheeks were looking less gaunt, the heavy bags under her eyes were disappearing and she was smiling just a little, which made Casper happy. 

“No, no problem, but everyone else is so captivated in their own business, you looked somewhat lonely by yourself. I thought perhaps you would enjoy some company?” the nameless girl asks sweetly. 

Casper smiled at that, turning his attention forward once more to keep his eyes on the path ahead as he talked. 

“I appreciate it, you know I never thought I would enjoy traveling with so many people. Would you believe me if I told you that I initially hated the idea of travel companions?” 

“Truly? You do seem to care for them all, though I am not too surprised now that I can see them myself in person. So many attractive women for you to enjoy.” The nameless girl teases him with a dry sense of humor. Only the faintest but of accusation in her otherwise casual tone.  

Casper rolls his eyes. 

“I told you before, I’m not sleeping with any of them, there is too much of a power dynamic at play, it would feel abusive I think” he admits. 

“Well, I'm sure they are equally grateful and annoyed at your restraint.” 

“I'm sure they are,” Casper chuckles.

“Though, I do get the impression you had something on your mind besides thoughts of engaging with your companions?” the nameless girl asked with the faintest trace of a coy smile on her face. 

“Are you trying to bait me into your tent again?” Casper counters. 

The nameless cups her cheeks in her hands and flutters her eyelashes, maintaining a perfectly neutral expression 

“I only wish to continue to be practical about both of our needs, for the benefit of our health of course.” She nods sagely.

Casper shakes his head, and shifts the subject, not wanting to give Laihal, who was clearly in earshot, any more ideas. She had already been making an extra effort to pronounce her lower half with every step she took while ahead of Casper, and she knew that he knew it was all intentional. 

Anyway…” Casper cleared his throat loudly. “I did want to discuss some of the next steps,” he admits. 

“Do you not have a plan?” 

“I do, but it's a vague one at best, and honestly? So far my plans have gotten us ran out of the whopping two cities we have been to. I personally really enjoy the wilderness and the outdoors. I much prefer the trees and grass to city blocks and cobblestone, but I can tell the others are getting tired of wandering the countryside. They need time to rest and recover, we need new supplies and resources without the pressure of some time crunch or anxiety looming over us.” Casper explains. 

The nameless girl takes a moment then to look at the other members of the gathered party, noting the worn through shoes, the torn, bloody patched and stretched clothes that Nephinae had spent most of last night trying to repair. Their packs were light on rations and food, having eaten through a good chunk of it given just how much they had to exert themselves both in the fights, the escapes, and the difficult terrain. 

Hunting had been fine, with Laihal able to effortlessly catch a good number of animals as a source of protein, as well as forage local mushrooms and other vegetation to make something akin to a balanced meal, but the lack of seasoning was creating more of a mental lack of appetite than anything. There was only so much plain, unseasoned bird and boiled veggies he could take, and he figured the feeling was mutual across the others. 

“We should stop by the next town or city then, and we can discuss what to do from there?” the nameless girl suggests. 

“If only it were that simple. Luckily the only people to see our faces, namely yours at the auction house, was the Duke who managed to escape, and the man in black who we took care of. Remind me to ask you about him later by the way. But it’s still possible he sent word out to his legions to be on the lookout for us. Were I in his position, I would send out word to the surrounding towns and cities in a reasonable travel distance and deploy my own troops at the entrances to watch for you. Additionally we still have Alex’s family to worry about. Her uncle was a noble and things went very bad there. By now messages have likely been sent around to other allied houses to keep an eye out for her as well. She is disguised as a man, which helps, but we need to be cautious as we think about our next moves.” 

“The Duke is unaware that marked people can break slave collars.” The nameless girl notes after a brief moment of thinking. “If he had known it was possible he wouldn’t have bothered placing one on me, in that case wouldn’t it be likely they are searching for a female slave with long black hair? If we can do something to avoid scrutiny, I too could disguise myself. Alex binds her chest and cuts her hair short. I… already do not have much in the way of a chest, little more than a boy’s as I am. I can cut my hair to a more medium length perhaps, and perhaps we can strip the color from it in some way? The pale tattoos that adorn Laihal are visible through her tanned skin, maybe we can ask her about the method and apply something similar to me?” 

Casper flinches slightly at that, unsure why at first, until he notices his attention turn to the nameless girl's hair. 

He rather liked it, he thought. He would hate to see her cut it.

She must have noticed his focus on it, because she in turn began running her fingers through the length of it passively, as if saying goodbye to it. 

“I don’t think I enjoy the idea, but it would be the safest… It also would help us with appearing less conspicuous” She continues.

“How do you figure that?”

“A single man traveling with an elf slave, and half-fiend slave, a huge brute of a woman, another thin woman, a half elf, and a “boy’ would likely be odd I think. I am not particularly world wise, of that I am well aware. But from what little I saw even within the city, having that many slaves, some in collars and some without, in attendance and traveling with that many women in general is irregular.” 

“You’re definitely right…” Casper thinks, “furthermore the information from the guards Alex’s family would have, would be me traveling with at least 4 women.” 

The nameless girl nods along to Casper's information. “If they already have an inkling as to the nature of our group's composition, then we should make changes to our appearance. We still have those slave collars we acquired from the auction house, it will most certainly be uncomfortable, but we can apply them to Annabelle, Nephinae, and Laihal to turn them into more visible slaves. Alex, in her male disguise, has in attendance Laihal. What man wouldn’t want a slave like her by their side after all. You would have Nephinae in attendance, though she would need to be changed from her typical maid attire so she doesn’t appear as overtly regal. And then I can have Annabelle once I give myself a male disguise. She is incredibly strong, and visibly imposing while I’m very visibly weak and frail, it would make the most sense for me to possess a large body guard. Now it is three men, each with their own personal attendant, which would be much more reasonable.” 

“What about Elisayra?”

“Hmm, that would be a little more difficult. You could have her in attendance as well. Seeing as you already have Nephinae the full elf. Elisayra could conceivably pass as perhaps your daughter? But that would be looked down upon.” 

Casper shivers at the mention as several rather uncomfortable thoughts mingle together at the mention of that particular lie. 

“I would prefer we stay away from anything like that…” 

“In that case, Elisayra would best fit in alongside me and Annabelle. She couldn’t pass as a concubine for Alex, already having Laihal would put any other woman to shame, and you don't want to pretend to be her father.” 

“We will have to make that work then. Besides, Elisayra and Annabelle are close, it would be better to keep them together for her sake while she is still recovering.”

“So you are agreeing to this plan then?” 

Casper bites his lip a little as he considers the suggestion, though it wasn’t a difficult one to consider. In fact, he was surprised he didn’t think of that. It made the most sense and offered them the most opportunity to navigate a populated space without much issue.

“I do, I think it's the best we can do right now. We can also split up the money and use it to buy some new clothes, supplies, maybe some new horses since the man in black, Silas, didn’t have the courtesy to tie the last ones up before capturing everyone… carts, play up the fact that we are… oh, a traveling bachelor party or something else inconspicuous” Casper offers 

“Looking to gather more women for your growing harem already?” The nameless girl teases once more in her neutral tone.

“I am not.” Casper says firmly. 

She laughs a little to herself, raising an accusatory eyebrow in Casper's direction even though he does his best to ignore the prod. 

“You know… I will be sad to see your hair go, I really do like it.” Casper finds himself admitting.

“Miss it? I can just use the mark to make it grow back whenever I wish.” 

“...”

For as long as Casper had used the mark, it sure as hell felt like he still knew nothing about the damn thing. 

“Besides, we will need to throw some money around in order to get access to magical healing. Based on what Alex has told me, even skilled healers would need a good amount of money and time to correct the damage done to Elisayra and Annabelle. If we pretend to be nobles or wealthy merchants it would be more reasonable to spend that kind of money on healing our “slaves.””  Casper continues his train of thought. 

“Is it really that difficult? I suppose I'm used to healing myself quickly…” 

“I was shocked to hear it too. Healers are heavily sought after it turns out, and even though the magic itself isn’t expensive, there is a high demand, so the healers charge much more than any other magical service.” Casper explains. 

“Unfortunate, but if that is how things are then I suppose we must bear it. Are there any other elements we should plan for?” 

“A few, though that will depend on what those two can gather from the slave ownership documents.” Casper nods back to Alex and Nephinae. 

Aware that the conversation had shifted to them, Alex looks up from the papers and jogs a short distance to meet up with Casper after passing off her section of documents to Nephinae, he in turn restores them to their place in the backpack. 

“Giving orders to my servant?” Casper teases, and watches as Alex quickly gets flustered. 

“I meant no disrespect! It was a habit…” 

“I'm teasing you Alex, don’t worry.” Casper quickly dismisses, not able to stand the look of worry on her face. 

Relief washes over her, followed quickly by determination as she clears her throat to speak up. 

“We just finished looking through the papers and… we have good news and bad news, which would you like to hear first?” 

“Good news first.” Casper answers. 

“The good news is, the ownership deeds were transferred only to the name of the auction house. Using a charcoal rub on one of the slave deeds we were able to determine the signature that was used in order to sign ownership away from the auction house, to a new individual. We unfortunately won't be able to claim ownership of the slave whose document has charcoal all over it, but they were unimpressive.” 

Casper raises an eyebrow at that, a little disappointed in the fact that he wouldn’t be able to help free one person. Then again, he could always free them by force he supposed. 

“This means Nephinae, who’s many skills include calligraphy, can forge the signature of the auction house to transfer ownership to you, Casper.” Alex explains with a wide smile. 

“That can work well, did it say where they were?” Casper asks, finding himself a little excited at the prospect. 

It was worth reiterating that Casper hated slavery, and thought the practice to be entirely barbaric. However, gaining access to powerful individuals had its benefits, and he would be a fool not to use every resource at his disposal. Maybe at first he thought it would be as simple as killing everyone who had a hand in his family's death, but as it turns out, getting to a Duke was quite burdensome and would require a great deal of resources, time, and energy. 

“That is the bad news…” Alex’s expression drops slightly at that, but quickly disguises it behind some more positive information. 

“We know where they are being held. The last signature on the document detailing the transfer to the auction house itself is the abbreviation of a port within the city of Highspire, which is located approximately 1 week’s travel south of here. More or less in the same direction we have been going, just slightly more east.” 

“And the bad news portion of this?” 

“They were transferred to the auction house in name but never arrived of course. It’s very likely that when word reached the shipping companies of the auction house’s destruction and the state of Crimson Harbor, they would have tried to abscond with the slaves themselves. Sure they don’t have ownership documents but it’s possible they destroy proof of ownership entirely and instead try and pass them off as new slaves to recreate new deeds.” 

“So, they are still out at sea?” Casper asks, a little confused now about the details. 

“It’s possible, yes. Most shipyards have a process which requires captains to document their ships arrival and departures at certain locations. They would have been documented leaving the city of Highspire with a shipload of slaves. That being the case they couldn’t simply redock with the same number of slaves a day or two later and try and claim them as new. What is sometimes the case regarding slavery, is when circumstances like this arise, it's possible for the captain to simply sail to some foreign fortress where the kingdom has established footholds long enough to resupply and document their arrival, before returning back with perhaps one slave missing or another one acquired, and then claim to have gotten them new. Most if not every fortress positioned along the kingdoms slave trade routs would have access to a mage to remove collars and acquire new ones. Its chapter to pay off a mage than it would be to buy the slaves after all.” 

“I see, in that case who knows where they are right now, but it’s very likely they would return to Highspire eventually claiming the slaves as new to either keep them or sell them for profit.” 

“Exactly. Which means Highspire is still a safe destination to travel to, but it may be some time before we catch wind of these slaves specifically.” 

“Hmmm, alright. Not as bad as I was fearing. We can manage that I think. Very good work Alex, thank you.” Casper praises the woman. 

“Of course! I owe you my life after all. This is only a fraction of a fraction of that debt. In fact it feels like this information is the first time I've been useful to you since you generously took me and Nephinae into your ranks.” Alex admits with a self deprecating tone. 

“Nonsense. Your company alone is enough, this is a bonus.” Casper tries to lighten the mood for her, even if it’s just a bit. 

She blushes at that, though she doesn’t quite believe it fully. 

“How’s your arm doing by the way?” Casper asks. 

“Healing. It was broken in several places, and still hurts most nights. Nephinae heals me last, because it doesn’t risk infection, so it's been very slow. Most of her efforts have been on Elisayra and Annabelle after all.” 

Casper frowns. Of course he is grateful that she is healing, but he still can’t bear the sight of these women in such a sad state. If he could give them the mark even just to heal them he would. But unfortunately the mark is very selfish. 

“I'm glad you’re healing up. Don’t push yourself too hard either, alright? I need you in working order and that wont happen if you burn yourself out.” 

“Of course” Alex smiles at that.

“And Casper… about the conversation we had?” Alex starts.

“Right, we were interrupted before you got to finish your thought. What was it?” 

Alex looks around slightly, her expression shifting to mild embarrassment as its clear Nephinae and Laihal, with their superior hearing, would be able to pick up on her words. 

Recognizing her moment of hesitation, Casper spoke up to help her out. 

“There are alot of people around, alot on both of our minds, even with the exhaustion aside. I can tell you still have something you want to tell me, and I think it would do us both good to talk more and… clear some more things up. How about this then. Once we get to the city and settle in, and have a moment to breath and gather our thoughts without any external pressures, we can share a few drinks and clear the air more, hmm?” 

Alex let out an audible sigh of relief, the tension in her body leaving with it, as she nods her approval. 

“Yes please, I would like that. I just.” 

“Good, for now then lets just focus on getting our heads straight. Alright?” 

“Alright.” Alex smiles. 

Casper turns his attention over to the nameless girl, who has begun tugging softly on Casper's tunic.

“You told me to remind you about what I did with the man in black.” 

Casper had in fact almost entirely forgotten, and he was damn curious about the fate she decided for him. 

“Right! Thank you for reminding me, and thank you again Alex.” Casper smiles. 

“Of course. It’s my pleasure.” Alex dismisses herself, as Casper returns his attention to the nameless girl. 

“The man, Silas, was well connected. With his life debt binding him to you, I ordered him to return to his home and rebuild his forces, but to do nothing with them in the meantime. He functionally works for you now. I figured it would be the most optimal course of action to have him as part of our collection of available resources should the need arise. You wish to kill the Duke, yes? He is going to be the man most likely to possess networks of information to help keep us informed of the Dukes movements. Though I imagine those are details better discussed with Alex when you have the time.” 

Casper didn’t know how to feel about that honestly. He wanted the man dead more than anything, but then again he was far less rational when it came to these things. If he could trust this nameless girl to be anything, he could trust her to be rational. After all, he did let the captain go, despite hating him too. 

More resources, more options, more opportunities. Personal hate aside this was a good thing, he had to admit. 

“And where does he reside?” Casper asks. 

“He said he took residence in many cities around the kingdom, I gave the list of them to Alex, she would know better than I.” 

“Right, even if you did give me the names I wouldn’t know where they are.” Casper admitted. “You know, having grown up isolated you seem alot more knowledgeable than me… And I thought I had it more or less figured out.” 

“Do not diminish yourself Casper, I simply was taught a multitude of subjects. My understanding of the nature of things is limited just as yours, albeit in different ways.” 

“I suppose you’re correct, It just feels like my father only ever told me the very basics of how this kingdom works. I feel out of my depth honestly.” 

“I think we all feel much the same, again though in different ways. How many of the women in this traveling party come to you to express fear of falling short? To express their disappointment in their shortcomings? Do not be so hard on yourself Casper. Everyone here is learning much the same as you and I.” 

“You have quite a way with words you know.” Casper admitted. 

“You are well in tune with the prime nature of the mark.” she says softly, to ensure the others can’t hear. “I am in tune with the ephemeral, the emotional, the magical. It comes with the territory.” 

“Right, right… I guess it's just. My father raised me to one day take over the village. To be a leader, a man, a role model. He taught me so much.” Casper trails slightly, as the faint sound of his fathers voice drifts through distant memories. 

“I guess I’m for the first time really feeling the consequence of his absence…” 

Casper turns to watch the nameless girl’s hand rub his shoulder with a tender hand. 

“I understand… I don’t remember much of my parents, if anything at all. So much I had to learn on my own, by a group of acolytes who worshiped me. I feel the gaps in my own mind and heart, at the things I never got to learn from people who truly loved me.” 

“Well. Love might be a stretch for this merry band of misfits, but I think you’re right, we cover each other's weaknesses. We help one another learn. I think we can fill in those gaps with one another.” 

“Perhaps I can convince you to fill me tonight?” The nameless girl whispers softly, not risking dropping the practical pretense. “You used much of the mark, more than the auction house. I'm sure you are feeling the effects?” 

“How much of the mark have you been using?” Casper asked pointedly, with a hint of playful accusation in his tone. 

“Not as much as you have, but enough to know we can help each other again… if you so desired.” 

“You are going to get me in trouble with my companions,” Casper protested. 

“The companions you don’t sleep with?” 

“Right…” 

“So where is the harm then? It's practical, isn’t it?” she asks more sincerely.

“It’s… complicated. I can explain later, but I'd like to try and manage myself.” 

“I understand, I apologize for teasing you so.” The nameless girl offers a sweet smile as she removes her hand from his arm. 

It was clear that she had every intent to continue playing into the idea that their… time together in the tent was medical, despite the pheromones her body was giving off indicating quite the opposite. Given that the nameless girl had such fine control over her mark, it was very possible that the release of the pheromones weren’t a part of her realm of control, and thus she didn’t know she was revealing her true desires to him. Or it was intentional and she was hoping he could pick up on them, it was hard to tell.

“I forgive you.” Casper chuckles, turning his attention back to the road ahead, only to once more be lost in the hypnotic sway of Laihal’s hips. 

“You are a good man Casper.” the nameless girl offers in compliment. 

“So I am told… “ Casper sighs.

5