A huge douche (21)
244 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week passed without... too much trouble. Saying that was probably an understatement. There was that time with the giant level 25 bear that had wings. They they barely got out of alive by having Kai act as bait, and the other time they fell into a hole and had to spend a whole day climbing out. At least throughout everything that happened, Kai managed to reach level 11, he saved the 21 stat points he got though.

The entire week was not unproductive though, Kai found out many things about his abilities. Mana regeneration works at a rate of 5% of someones max Mana regenerated every hour naturally while HP regenerates at 3% of their max HP per hour. Also that after Kai uses Grace of The Ever-changing with Umbra, Umbra still has all of her Mana remeaning even if Kai runs out.

Another thing about the forest is that either it has healing powers or there is some time bending going on. Sofia's arm, which should've taken weeks to even be moved properly, is now nearly fully healed. She can move it fine, but it wouldn't be used in a fight any time soon though.

Even Kai could walk properly now, the two stab wounds now nowhere to be seen on his legs, intact, his legs looked better than ever now.

Currently, the group of four is wandering through the forest with Umbra acting as their leader, the moon wolf mentioned a few days ago that her clan could probably shelter them for a while.

While hoping a pack of wolves would shelter you might not seem like the brightest of ideas. It's all they've got. The fact that they haven't met a single other person since... Rashik, indicated that the forest is absolutely massive.

After what seemed like an eternity, the view in front of them slightly changes. What was previously just dark trees everywhere is now... dark trees everywhere with trenches in the ground.

After sniffing at the trenches for a few moments, Umbra's tail wags. Kai uses Telepathy and speaks to the moon wolf.

"Is this the right place? A wolf den doesn't seem like the type of place to have trenches.

Umbra's tail continues to wag as she trots forward, further into the trench filled area of the forest.

"Mhm, Umbra never been here before tho, me grow up in sub territory. Us wolves have many different homes, but this is the main home. Me not know what the trenches are for though.

Following behind the moon wolf, Kai is right behind Umbra, closely followed by Sofia and Noelle. Actually, they don't make it that far as a group of wolves who look just like Umbra come out all around them, snarling.

Umbra responds with... a whimper? Frowning, Kai turns to look at what his familiar is and spots a wolf, only this one much bigger than the others. It also has a... quater moon in its third eye.

Shit... Kai inwardly curses as he watches Noelle and Sofia pull out their weapons respectively. Noelle's scimitar seems to thrive in the darkness, an ethereal shine glinting off the sharp blade. On the other hand, Sofia pulls out a sword, not too long but not too short, it's as if the weapon was made to fit her perfectly...

Fit her perfectly...

Scowling, Kai takes out his one dagger and tries his hardest to look intimidating. Quickly, he speaks to Umbra through the connection.

"Umbra, any chance you can calm down your Buddies here?"

"Wa'rak no like Umbra, Wa'rak no like any outer wolves. He thinks that we are lesser, he attacks us and makes us fight each other. Wa'rak bad..."

Swallowing, Kai re-adjusts his fingers around the hilt of his dagger, being extremely careful not to drop it lest he embarres himself... which happened more than he would like to admit in the last week.

Setting up another telepathic connection, he hears a gruff voice flood his mind in a torrent of growls and snarls, only after a few moments does an actual voice speak.

"Why does inferior species bother coming to home. Leave now before I change my mind, I am extremely generous after all."

"Douche"... Kai inwardly thinks, only that he forgets he is currently having a conversation in his mind.

"Douche... what is a douche?" Wa'rak snarls as he takes a step forward, baring his fangs at Kai and Co.

"Uh, where I come from, douche means a very important person within a group of people, normally they are the boss of the group."

"Hmm, yes, I am a huge douche then. These imbecile siblings wouldn't be able to find their tail if it weren't for me."

Wa'rak stops walking towards the group, his eyes gleam, almost as if... he's happy?

"You, human, since you recognise your position I will allow you to leave, but leave everyone else here. The elder must decide their fate."

It feels as if the temperature drops a few degrees after Wa'rak finishes. Kai quickly tells Sofia and Noelle telepathically to be ready foe anything.

Kai has an idea, but it's a very embarrassing one. Kai feels his face heat up at what he's about to do, but in his mind the idea is actually pretty smart.

Getting down on his knees, Kai puts down his dagger and bows his head. He feels Sofia's and Noelle's judging gaze behind him, but he steels himself and puts on the act of a lifetime.

"Oh benevolent wolf Wa'rak, we come seeking shelter. During our travels here we were attacked by an abomination of the moon. We presume that the abominations intend to attack the wolves of the moon in an attempt to eradicate them. We come to-"

Wa'rak snarls, cutting Kai off. Anger flashes deep in the wolfs eyes as he growls.

"How do you know about the abominations? Who sent you? It was them, wasn't it! I'll kill you!"

Shit! Kai panics as he hastily gets up, grasping his dagger in his right hand just as the wolf lunges at him. He dodges just as Noelle leaps beside him, landing an... uppercut?

Wa'rak stumbles backwards in a daze. Shaking his head, he growls and lowers his body, as if preparing another lunge. All the other wolves around them close in and just as the group is preparing for an all out fight, a howl is heard echoing through the forest, coming from the direction behind Wa'rak.

All the wolves freeze, as if they are too afraid to move, even the proud Wa'rak doesn't dare to take a step.

Time seems to move in slow motion as the sound of steps come from deep in the dark forest, getting closer and closer. A bead of sweat forms on Kai's forehead as he himself stands still as well. Noelle, even with her headstrong attitude, knows not to move.

Eventually, the source of the steps is upon them. From the depths of the shadows in the forest emerges a wolf, only this one is about the size of a bus and has the signature moon wolfs third eye. Only inside this wolfs third eyes is a full moon. The shining moon lights up the surrounding area with its brightness.

Every wolf Kai has seen so far has had luscious black fur without fail, but this one, this one's is turning gray. The wolfs eyes seem tired, as if waiting for something that will never come.

"Wa'rak, what do you think you're doing? What gives you the right to treat these guests like that."

Kai nearly jumps in shock. The wolf spoke out of its mouth... snout. Actual words, no need for telepathy, the wolf speaks properly.

Wa'rak can understand the gray wolf's words. After a few different pitches of growls, Wa'rak lifts his head and looks right at Kai.

Swallowing slightly, Kai lifts his hand and waves. Nonchalance tries to do something, but it's as if the wolfs gaze stops anything in his mind from functioning.

The older wolfs gaze scans the group. Kai tried using Identify on the beast, but it failed instantly. As if sensing him do this, the wolf turns to Kai. Its gaze lingers for a few moments, and just as it is about to turn away, it freezes. It's nose twitches as it sniffs a few times and... it laughs.

"Ah....ahahaha.....AHAHAHA!"

The laughs echo through canopy of trees around them, some of the smaller branches even shaking at the vibrations. The wolf continues to laugh, it's whole body trembling with the power behind its voice.

"You, boy" It growls as it stops laughing, it takes only three steps before the beast is right in front of him. It leans down, it's massive snout hovering in front of Kai. It sniffs a few more times, as if making sure its right.

"I knew it, you have their scent, it seems that its finally time."

Turning toward all the wolves surrounding it, the gray one let's out a howl and shouts;

"Siblings, the time has come! Ready yourselves, the Catalyst of the the never ending night has arrived. Prepare yourselves for the upcoming. The end is nigh."

All the wolves around them howl and run off rapidly, leaving only the the full moon wolf and Wa'rak.

The gray wolf turns back to Kai, a grin on its face...

... if wolves could grin.

"Boy, you have no idea what you being here signifies, do you?"

Panic runs rampant throughout Kai's mind, all the possible answers flash through his mind but all of them seem wrong. After calming himself down with the help of the lessened effects of Nonchalance, Kai lifts his head up and answers;

"I haven't a clue... sir"

The wolf chuckles at the answer, it's sharp fangs showing as it does.

"Of course that bastard didn't tell you, they always were one for the theatrics."

Frowning, Kai looks into the wolfs eyes, wondering what the hell it could mean by that. As Kai continued to look into the beasts eyes, he spots a twinkle, almost as if there's a...

Realisation hits him and he nearly jumps back in shock, he points up to the wolf with a shaky hand and mutters;

"You, you know-"

"Quiet, Catalyst, some are not ready for the conversation at present."

Without even looking, Kai knows the wolf is on about Sofia, Noelle and Umbra. Nodding hesitantly, Kai sets up a telepathic connection with the wolf... only for it to fail instantly.

Kai looks back to the description of his skill, wondering why the hell it failed. He does a quick scan of the description and finds what he thinks is the answer.

... for every 5 levels above yourself, the cost of upholding the link doubles.

Swallowing, Kai looks away from the description and back to the wolf, wondering how high of a level it is for him not to have enough Mana to use the skill.

The elder chuckles slightly, as if it knows what he tried to do. It turns its giant body around and starts walking back in the direction it came from. Without stopping, it bellows in its calm tone;

"Come, Catalyst, we have much to discuss"

7