Chapter Thirty-One
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Although we both would have left that night, we also knew it wasn’t a wise idea. Not when Joichan needed to rest to get back to his full strength. And not when I needed to learn more about myself as a shapeshifter.

After I had returned Joichan’s necklace, I had felt a little bereft. I mentioned this to Joichan, and my father explained that, as the bearer and his child, I had begun to bond with the moonstone, even though it was linked to him. It was sympathetic magic, as the stone could feel the blood link between kin. Further strengthening the bond was the fact that one day I would inherit his soulstone and could merge it with mine.

One thing that concerned me was that I was much older than most beginning shapeshifters. Not only did I need to learn how to change forms, but I wouldn’t have a soulstone to aid me.

With the sun gone, it was cold both in and outside the cave. I jammed my hands into my pockets as we walked back inside, looking forward to settling in for the night. My right hand brushed against a small hard object, and I pulled out the necklace that Pazho had given me. The amber caught the dull glow from the cave walls, glimmering faintly in my hand.

“What’s that?” Joichan asked.

“It was a gift from a friend in Annlyn,” I said.

Joichan snapped his fingers, and the cave walls grew brighter. He stopped, reaching out to touch the necklace. I stopped too, watching him. My father nodded, satisfied.

“Your friend is very astute. This will do nicely.”

“What do you mean?”

Joichan smiled. “This will make a perfect soulstone for you.” He began walking again, leaving me gaping until I closed my mouth and hurried after him.

But working magic would have to wait until the morning. Both of us were exhausted from the day’s events. Joichan pointed out a small bedroom tucked away in the back of the cave just off the human-sized area. The room was fairly spartan, only boasting a neatly-made bed and a nightstand.

“But where are you going to sleep?” I asked.

Joichan left the bedroom, going back into the main cavern. I followed. He changed back into his dragon form and curled up in the corner he had occupied earlier in the day. “There’s only one bed, which you can have. Besides, oftentimes I prefer my animal self, especially since I live alone. It’s easier and more comfortable for me to sleep, and I can defend myself easier.”

“If you’re sure … thank you.”

“Of course,” my father said. “Now, I suggest you get some sleep. We have a busy day ahead of us tomorrow.”

 
***
 
 

“Busy” didn’t even begin to describe it. Although Joichan still needed to rest, he insisted on tutoring me in the basics of shapeshifting. Fortunately, my Calian training in magic and my on-the-road lessons with Farrah had given me a good foundation for Joichan’s teaching, as well as the confidence to execute it.

Because a lot of changing one’s form, I learned, required confidence and focus. That’s why the fledgling shapeshifters of Annlyn used soulstones, because it helped them in both areas. But even with my magical experience, my first shapeshifting experience was both exhilarating and scary.

We woke up early, hoping that the sleepy quiet of morning would keep us safe from prying eyes. We stepped outside of the cave, where Joichan, still in human form, waved a hand. A magical barrier went up, barring access to the entrance. To casual lookers, it would have seemed there was no cave at all, since the magic also created the illusion of a sheer rock face on the mountainside. I now understood what had happened when I first came here.

“Clever,” I complimented my father.

“Thank you.” His voice grew deeper as his form changed from human to dragon.

Dragon Joichan carried me on his back into the forest below the mountain, where the surrounding trees hid us in a small glade from any errant observers who might be in the area. Once we landed, my father changed back into human form, to give me more room to try my transformation.

Magic—at least the way I had learned it in Calia, or when I was practicing on the road with Farrah—usually required memorizing spells, and combining those spells with hand gestures, movements, charms, or potions to acquire the desired effect. But shapeshifting was different. It was a magical transformation, to be sure, but it was also something else. My father had explained the theory in depth to me the night before. It was as simple as changing one’s outfit or hairstyle. However, it required a bit of finesse to make sure the transformation worked. After all, changing your hairstyle didn’t help if you didn’t know how to properly dress hair in the first place.

Under Joichan’s watchful eye, I stood in the center of the glade, closed my eyes, and sent my awareness deep within. I was acutely aware of my bones, my blood, my breath. My magical senses took note of where and how my body was knit together; my mind imagined my spine lengthening, my arms and legs growing bigger and heavier, my olive-toned skin hardening and turning into reptilian scales. Nails turned into claws; my nose changed into a golden snout. Breathing in, I was assaulted by my suddenly super-sensitive sense of smell. My hearing had gotten sharper as well. I could smell the rabbit that was currently burrowing into its den several miles away. Deep in the forest, I heard the footsteps of a hunter who was moving near-soundlessly as he tracked his prey. Marveling at my new awareness, I opened my eyes to take it all in.

My eyes met the tops of the trees. A bird flying by at my eye-level squawked in alarm at me and clumsily changed its course mid-flight. I laughed, a rumbly sound several octaves lower than my normal pitch. From somewhere near my feet, I heard an answering laugh, and looked down to see Joichan staring up at me with an enormous grin on his face.

“Very good, Jennica! An amazing first attempt!” He clapped his hands in delight.

I tried clapping my hands too, laughing even harder at myself when I realized how stupid my clumsy claws must look. I laughed so hard that I accidentally snorted fire, just barely setting a treetop aflame. My laughter turned into a coughing fit, and my magical concentration broke. Soon I was back on ground level with my father, lying on the grass trying to get my breath back.

“Jennica! Are you okay?” Helping me sit up, Father grabbed a waterskin out of the bag I had brought with me. He handed it to me and I took a deep drink before answering.

“Yes, I’m … fine,” I panted once I had my breath back. “That … didn’t … last long, did it?”

“No, but for your first attempt, it was wonderful!” Father raved. “With more practice, you’ll be able to maintain and control your form easily.”

“That’s … good … to know. I can’t … wait.” A small, weak cough escaped me. “That … took more out of me … than I expected.”

I tried to stand up, but wobbled on my feet and fell to my knees, feeling ready to throw up. Taking in my pale face and still heavy breathing, Father stood up. “You’ll master this in no time. But, for now, I think you need to rest. Let’s get you home.”

He stepped back and changed into his dragon form. I was too weak to climb onto his back, so he gently picked me up in his claws and flew back to the mountain cave.

 

Hi, thanks for stopping by! 

The whole series can be found on Amazon - https://tinyurl.com/5n87wfw3

Advance chapters on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/rachanee

Join the newsletter to get updates (and get a free TTRPG one shot set in the world of this series) - https://www.rachanee.net/newsletter

0