Chapter 5: Death of Innocence
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Date: Present Day 

Location: Kingdom of Trykar: Mountain region in Northern Arla

Mesyla was furious. She knew her father would never lie to her…not about this. The love of her life was planning to propose to someone else

Stunned, Mesyla stomped out of the courtyard, leaving her father behind. Her heart was working triple time as she stormed through Jasa’s halls. Her body had transformed into a fiery canvas of anger. Clenched jaw and flared nostrils. Chest rising and falling rapidly. Confronting Jaho was the only thing on her mind. But when she finally reached the second floor, where he was waiting, everything changed for Mesyla. 

She started to feel lightheaded, and her vision began to blur. And when she finally reached her bedroom door, her vision was no longer there. 

The last thing Mesyla would hear, before she went unconscious, was the shouting of her name.

***

Ascensions, where the powers of the Arlans Gods are passed onto the next chosen offspring, are extraordinary events in Arla. They represent new beginnings and transitions. Marking when an old reign ends and a new one begins. During these extraordinary events, a new Ascended Incarnate is born—a being blessed with the powers of a god. 

  Originally, a long time ago, there were thirteen Ascended Incarnates—each representing one of the thirteen original Arlan Gods. These individuals were chosen by the Gods to lead in their absence and over their kingdoms until their promised return. Until then, their powers and gifts would be passed onto the following generation and so on. Creating a cycle of regeneration

But now, Arla was down to nine Incarnates. The wars that have ravaged this once harmonious world have drastically altered the Arlan landscape, destroying kingdoms and claiming the lives of four Incarnates. But for the ones remaining, the traditions of the Ascensions have continued. Traditions that are never pretty. 

Off the coast of Arla, for instance, an Ascension brings forth destructive, heavy winds and rains. Not everyone survives that night.

Far away in the Kingdom of Fyr, the Chosen undergoes a painful transformation that leaves both of their hands charred. 

For the next Ascended Incarnate of Diné, Goddess of Prophecies, Sight, and Divination, the Chosen’s eyes are destroyed from the inside out and replaced with glass ones.  

Here in the Northern Mountains, to be the next Ascended Incarnate of Trykar, God of Chaos and Madness, Chosens are tortured to near death. Transformed and molded into the individual they have to be. An insane one. Innocence dies that night. 

And at this very moment, Princess Mesyla was undergoing an agonizing transformation. Her harrowing screams could be heard throughout the mountains. Her body was shaking violently, and kept rising and falling. The essence was consuming her…eating half of her. 

Jaho, bearing witness, was panicking and shouting for help. 

Mesyla, wake up!”  
 “Sweet berry?…Answer me!”
“SOMEONE HELP!

It was Jaho’s arms she fell into when she stormed into her room. When she didn’t respond to his calm pleas, he began to panic. Shouting her name and begging her to say something. But she was not responding. Jaho didn’t know what to do. Desperate for help, he raced downstairs and through the palace, frantically shouting for someone to help. Chest rising and falling rapidly. Heart working overtime. 

When he finally reached the courtyard, he found Robere and Gin hovering over the King—who was also unresponsive. Both had a pained look in their eyes. 

“The princess needs help.” Jaho sobbed. 

“You should sleep or leave.” Gin responded quietly. The old servant was lightly caressing King Jamos’ head. Jamos and Gin had been friends since they were children. For over 40 years. She was one of his most trusted. 

At the moment, Jaho didn’t understand what was going on and how everyone was so calm. But before he could respond, Mesyla’s screams could be heard, prompting him to rush back to her. 

When he finally reached her, the screams had stopped again. And now her eyes were open. Thinking she was now safe, he slowly stepped towards her to comfort her. But when he reached out to her, her body rejected him and threw him across the room. 

Mesyla would remain unconscious for 28 hours.

Her father, though, would return to the conscious world 13 hours later. 

***

13 Hours Later

The palace had been quiet for the past five hours. Mesyla’s screams had finally come to a halt. It was a brand new day. The sun was now in its glorious form. Casting its blinding light all over Arla, and piercing the palace’s glass panels. 

Earlier, five servants and three guards from Majes had been ordered to travel to Jasa by the King’s Council, once they were alerted. Three servants, two from Majes and Gin, were now watching over the princess, as two guards were stationed outside of her room. The remaining were ordered to stay with the king including Robere, Jasa’s Guardian. 

During the beginning hours of the Ascension, Robere had moved the king into one of Jasa’s guest rooms—a room not as ornate as Mesyla’s chambers. Robere was engaging in a conversation with a servant when the king began to stir. Immediately noticing, the guard rushed over. 

The only thing that was on the king’s mind was his daughter. 

“Where is she?” He croaked to Robere. He could barely make eye contact with Robere given that his eyes were swollen.

“She’s battling, my king.” Robere answered quietly. 

“I need to get up.”
“I’m not sure that’s wise, my king. The council has advised you to rest until it’s complete.”
“Are you disobeying me?” 

Before Robere could answer, Gin finally returned. She was carrying a tray with two glasses for Robere. 

“Oh, you’re awake.” Gin exclaimed. Ecstatic, she rushed over to the king’s side and placed a soft kiss on his head.

“You’ve been unconscious for thirteen hours, my king.” Gin informed him.  “I need to get up.”
“No.” She protested. 
“I need to see my daughter, Gin.”
“The council has advised you to rest.”
“I am still your king.” Jamos warned. 

Gin knew the king was stubborn and would never back down from seeing his daughter. She knew if the roles were reversed, no one would be able to keep her from seeing her own flesh and blood. 

“First, I have to prepare huerelian tea.” She announced.
“What?” Robere and Jamos both questioned at the same time.
“Hue-rey-li-an tea. It’s a healing tea that will speed up your recovery. It has been passed down in my family for generations.” She explained. “Now, I’ll go prepare it for you.”

Gin swiftly made her way out of the guest room. She didn’t want any more questions. Questions she wasn’t prepared nor ready to answer. Just like everyone else in Arla, she had her own secrets. Secrets she knew the king wasn’t prepared to know. According to Gin, all the king needed to know about her was that she was his most loyal servant. And nothing else. 

When Gin finally returned with the tea, the king was engaging in conversation with Robere. Robere had just informed him the Crowned King of the Isle was dead. The news of his death was spreading like wildfire.

“You must drink it slowly. It is extremely powerful.” Gin instructed.
Taking a cautious sip, Jamos was put off by its tangy taste.
“Can I have sugar?” He asked. 
“You have to drink it like it is, I’m afraid.” Gin declared.

As he slowly sipped the tea, Jamos didn’t feel it, but the tea was beginning to restore his biological molecules—the same molecules that were severely damaged during his ascension…45 years ago. Without this tea, the king wouldn’t survive long. Only few know of the tea’s true power and origins. 

As he consumed more and more, drowsiness came upon him. 

And then the king was sleeping.

***

15 Hours Later

The first thing Mesyla saw when she opened her eyes was her father. He was dressed in a gold robe, hovering over her. She noticed there were many things different about him. His hair was no longer brown but gray. The emerald amulet, an amulet he never took off, the same amulet that allowed him to shapeshift into anything, was missing. 

He also felt different. Mesyla couldn’t pinpoint it, but something was off.  

“What happened?” Mesyla rasped. As expected, she was not in great shape. Her voice was rough and scratchy. Her memory was hazy. And she was also seeing double of her father. 

“How do you feel, my gem?” Jamos asked, voice low. 
The princess had tears in her eyes. “My legs. They are heavy.”
“Go get Gin. Tell her to prepare the tea.” He ordered Robere. 

Now that Robere was leaving, Jamos was eager to have a moment alone with his daughter. To share this divine experience with her without prying eyes. When Robere closed the door behind him, Jamos let out a huge sob. 

“You are so strong, my gem.” Jamos choked. 
“Did it happen?” She whispered. 

Jamos nodded, confirming to Mesyla that she had inherited the essence of the God Trykar.  

At this news, Mesyla didn’t verbally respond. Instead, she reached out for her father’s hand. But the King stepped away. Mesyla frowned at the slight. 

“Do you need anything?” He asked instead.
“Water.” 
“Sure thing. I’ll be right back.” 

While her father was downstairs, Mesyla noticed it was no longer night. Instead, the sun was rising. She also noticed her favorite lamp was broken, and there was a dent in the left side of the wall. ‘How long was I exactly out?’Mesyla thought to herself. The last she Mesyla remembered was the awkward dinner with her father and Jaho. 

Growing impatient , Mesyla decided to go downstairs. But when she tried to get out of her bed, her bones felt so stiff and sore. And her back felt as if a ton of gold had been resting on it. The pain caused her to release a loud groan—which alerted a young servant stationed outside of her room to rush in. 

Mesyla took her in, sizing her up. She was wearing an emerald dress that was adorned with gold lining. She could tell she was young. So much bounce in her skin and no wrinkles.

“Can I help you, my princess?” She asked. 

But before Mesyla could formally request her help, it all began coming back to her—the last twenty eight hours. 

Mesyla had inherited all of the memories that could be linked back to Trykar. The Birth of Arla. Trykar’s rule and the chaos he mercilessly spread.  And her predecessors—the Ascended Incarnates of Trykar who came before.

It was Betasi, the first Ascended Incarnate of Trykar, who told her to remember her duty is to Trykar and Trykar only. It was Queen Rho, the Triumphant Queen, who shouted to her that her duty is to her people. And it was King Colo who showed her how deadly her new power could be.

As she was remembering, the princess wasn’t aware, but her eyes were glowing gold. 

The young servant was growing worried. She had never seen anything like this. 

“Should I call King Jamos?” She asked the princess. Her voice trembled. 

Mesyla shook her head. Instead, she slowly reached out her hand. The young servant was puzzled by this gesture, but she knew better than to not disobey the crown. 

So she took her hand.

***

I should have warned everyone. It was my fault. That’s what King Jamos would tell himself for the rest of his life. 

When the king finally returned with the glass of water, it was too late. 

“No!” He shouted. 

Mesyla’s eyes were glowing gold, and the young servant was violently shaking. Taking Mesyla’s hand was a death sentence.

Robere, who followed him to the room, rushed over to help but the king immediately objected.
“Stay away, Robere. It’s too late for her.” He commanded. 

They could only watch as Mesyla inflicted unbearable pain on the servant. Could only watch as she consumed her sanity. They were witnessing a living nightmare.

After a minute or so, Mesyla let the young girl go. She immediately ran out of the room and out of the palace. They’ll later find out how she ran herself off a cliff. 

The nightmare was over. But now everyone in that room was terrified of Mesyla. Of their princess. No one wanted to get close to her…not even the king.

But the king was the king after all, and it was his duty to lead in these situations. Everyone was waiting for him to speak, and he could feel their piercing intense stares on him.  

Taking a deep breath, the king slowly stepped towards his daughter. She was now staring at the ceiling with a blank look on her face. Like she wasn’t even there. Not in the room with them. 

“My gem, are you with us? Jamos finally spoke.
“What did I do?” Mesyla asked, voice shaking.
“You have to control Trykar. Instead of letting him control you, my child.” 
“I don’t understand, father.” 

The king never wanted this for his only daughter. He blamed himself. I should have never left her. I should have been watching them both

“You are no longer just Mesyla, my gem. You will hurt people. It’s in Trykar’s nature.” He admitted. 

Mesyla was disgusted. The last thing she wanted was to hurt anyone. Not another person.

“Trykar is within you now. You must find the balance.” He continued. “Or he’ll kill you too.”

To be continued 

0