Chapter 10: Making of an Heir
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

7 Years Ago

Arla was experiencing its annual heat wave. In the Kingdom of the Isle, Islers attached themselves to their pools. In both the Kingdom of Flames and Inferno and the Desert Kingdom, they didn’t understand the fuss; they were molded in the fire and heat. In the Meadows, they took it the hardest. And in the Mountains, the higher one lives, the less of a burden the heat is.

Mesyla, 17, had just arrived back from a trip to see Jaho in the Desert. Before she departed, she informed only Gin of her trip, telling her that it was only for a couple of days. Three days later, she was back in the kitchen of Jasa Palace, fixing a bowl of porridge, when Gin walked in carrying a stack of bowls.

“You’re back.” Gin exclaimed. “I didn’t hear the door.”

“It’s extremely hot down there.” Mesyla responded. “I couldn’t bear it longer.”

Gin quickly placed the dirty bowls in the sink, almost dropping one. Once her hands were free, she went to pull Mesyla into a hug. Mesyla let her wrap her arms around her, as she rested her own palm on her back and rubbed it slowly.

When she pulled, Mesyla noticed sadness in her eyes.

“Your father has been here.” Gin revealed. “Twice.”

“Did you tell him?”

“I did.” Gin confirmed. “And he did not like it.”

Mesyla rolled her eyes. She really didn’t understand the big fuss of her relationship with Jaho. “I’ll deal with my father tomorrow. It’s too late to head to Majes.”

Mesyla turned back to her bowl and finished making her porridge.

“It’s not like I’m the heir, I can date whoever.” Mesyla continued.

Once she was done with the glass of milk, Mesyla placed it back in the refrigerator, all the way to the back, away from the others. Unlike the other glasses of milk, droplets of Madelyn Sap were mixed with her milk. In Arla, Madelyn Sap is great for memory and clarity. Mesyla made sure to drink it everyday. 

As Mesyla sat and ate her porridge, she noticed the castle was oddly quiet. Usually, Talo, Xand, and other friends would be here around this time.

“Where is everyone?”

Before Gin could answer, a loud crash was heard. Mesyla immediately stood from her seat and made her way to the door to investigate.

When she went to push door, she heard a loud yelp on the other side.

“Watch out, Gin.” Xand screamed.
When Xand saw it was his sister instead, he immediately frowned.
“Oh, it’s you.” He said. “The Desert Prince kicked you out, I see.”
Mesyla snorted. “As if.”

Xand was holding a very big bag.

“I was coming to tell Gin that I’m heading out.” He said. “Don’t wait up.”

At the mention of her name, Gin entered and joined the two of them. “Leaving?”

“Fresh air.” He answered.

Xand had been staying out late a lot recently…ever since the one year anniversary of their mother’s death.

They didn’t stop him, as usual. Instead, they stood there, side by side and watched him leave. Once he was out of sight and the slamming of the door could be heard, Gin and Mesyla noticed a green glass vase was broken.

“I’ll clean it.” Gin said.

When she returned with a broom and dustpan from the storage, she saw Mesyla lying on the cream settee. She was whistling for her telepathically bonded cats, Ges, Yla, and Mesara, to come to her. They all came to her, one by one, from different directions.

Mesyla gave each a gentle rub on the back. After she did, she noticed something was off with each of them. Mesara’s eyes were nearly closed. Ges and Yla were also behaving sluggish…unusual for their species.

She needed another pair of eyes.
“Gin. Come.” She yelled.
Once she was done cleaning up the broken glass, Gin made her way over to them.
“Your Highness.”
“Have you been feeding them?” Mesyla asked.
“Of course.”
“Something is wrong. Don’t you see?”

Gin knelt down to inspect them closer.

“You’re right.” She acknowledged. “I’ll see what the book has to say.”

Left alone, Mesyla removed herself from the settee and took a seat on the floor next to them.

“Plyu eth weasee.” She commanded the youngest. Tell me what’s wrong.

“Ryeraye.” Mesara telepathically responded. Poison.

The admission caused Mesyla’s heart to flutter.

“GIN!” She screamed.

Only seconds later, Gin rushed in with the Book of Healing. A book of healing recipes and all of the knowledge on maintaining the health of Arla and its people.

“Mesara says it’s poison.” Mesyla squealed.

“Poison?” Gin stammered. “No one has been here but….”

“We don’t have time. Find an elixir.” Mesyla interrupted.

Gin turned on her heels. But before she could reach the door, a knock was heard. “I got it.”

Left alone, Mesyla began to cry. The tears were flowing freely. I never should have left you, I never leave you, Why did I leave you this time? she repeated to herself.

Mesara had placed her head in Mesyla’s lap, while Ges and Yla cuddled each other. She gently rubbed Mesara’s back, over and over again. As she did, she kept looking back to the winding entrance hallway, waiting for Gin to emerge.

“What’s taking her so long?” Mesyla muttered to herself.

Tired of waiting, she decided to go see who exactly was at her door. When she found her, she saw Gin wasn’t alone.

On the other side of the door was Queen Rosar, the Sovereign Queen of the Meadows, the Ascended Incarnate of Diné, Goddess of Prophecies, Sight, and Divination. Rosar has the power to see into the past, future, and future possibilities. She is a manipulator of time. Her Goddess, Diné, was hated by half the gods. A trickster Goddess, they called her. And just like her ancestor, Rosar also has the power to grant the power of sight to anyone. A tradition known as the Circle of Vue—a convent of ladies with the power to see the future.

“Your highness, you have a visitor.” Gin spoke.

This was only Mesyla’s third time seeing Queen Rosar in the Mountains. She was wearing a black, tight fitted lace dress, and the Vuen Tiara. A reminder of her power and people.

Her mother had told her to be cautious of her and her kind. It was Rosar’s mother who betrayed the rest of the Meadow Kingdoms and aligned with the Immortal King. And a visit today was not ideal.

“The King is at Majes. This is Jasa.” Mesyla spat.

“I’m not here to see your father. I’m here to see you, Princess Mesyla.” Rosar responded.

“Just hear her out.” Gin suggested.

“Fine.” Mesyla huffed. “Follow me.”

***

Mesyla and Rosar were now in Jasa’s Courtyard. Just a few seconds ago, Gin brought them tea to enjoy as they talked. Mesyla was fiddling with the mug’s handle. She really wanted to go back to her cats, but it was impolite to turn down meetings with other Arlan royals.

“Well, what are you here for?” Mesyla asked. “It’s pretty late.”

Rosar was staring up at the red sky. “It is beautiful. More beautiful up here than down there.”

“It’s the same sky.” Mesyla responded through gritted teeth.

Rosar turned her gaze away from the sky, landing back on Mesyla.

“I’m not understanding your hostility towards me. Our families have been allies. Did I come at a bad time?” Rosar asked.

Mesyla shook her head. “No.”

Rosar nodded, and then took another sip of her tea.

“It’s just…my mother warned me of you and your family.” Mesyla added. “And what exactly is there to be warned about?”
“Your kind loves to betray.”

Rosar wasn’t offended. Instead, she started laughing.
Mesyla’s mouth formed a tight thin line. “What’s funny?”
“You said the word betrayal.” Rosar answered.
“And?”
“Darling, your legacy will be defined by betrayal.” She responded, voice low.

Mesyla started to choke on her own tea.
“What are you talking about?” She choked.

Rosar placed her tea on the ground and rubbed her palms along the fabric of her dress. “I’m here to help you, Mesyla.”

 

Mesyla waved for her to continue.

“Ges, Yla, and Mesara are sick, aren’t they?” She asked.
Mesyla’s eyes narrowed. “How do you know their names?”
Rosar let out a small giggle. “Come on, Mesyla. You know Diné lives within me.”
Mesyla nodded. “Yes, they are sick.”
“They have been poisoned…which you just found out.” Rosar continued.
Mesyla nodded again.
“And, so are you. You just happen not to feel it yet.” Rosar revealed.

Mesyla immediately shot up from her seat.

“WHAT HAVE YOU SEEN?” She barked, as she stood over Rosar.

Rosar wasn’t afraid. She played with a loose strand of her hair.
“Your brother has been strange, hasn’t he?”
“Enough of the questions. Just tell me.” Mesyla yelled.

Rosar took a deep breath before responding. “Wind is made up of energy…blue energy. An energy I can only see. Did you know?”

“And?”

“And in the energy, the wind reveals stories, futures, and possible futures. Weeks ago, I saw your name and I grabbed onto it. Want to know what I’ve seen?”

Mesyla nodded slowly.

“After I leave here tonight, your story can take one of two directions, entirely up to you. One where you live and become Queen. And one where you die seven days from now.” She revealed.

Mesyla’s heart started to race. She reached for her seat, stumbling backwards.

Once she sat down, Rosar reached for her hand but Mesyla snatched it back.

“Your brother’s essence has been poisoned by darkness. You are a threat to his ascension, Mesyla.”

“Are you saying my brother is trying to kill me?” She croaked.

Rosar nodded. “He succeeds in one story, my love.”

Mesyla started to shake her head. “You’re wrong. I’m no threat. It’s rare for the ascension to skip the first born.”

“But not impossible.” Rosar countered.

“Why are you telling me this?” Mesyla whispered.

Rosar stood from her seat. This time, it was her who was standing over Mesyla.

“How you proceed determines the future of Arla.” She revealed.
“What are you saying?”
“War awaits, Mesyla.”
“War?”

Rosar nodded. “And the next couple of days determines whether you or your brother live to see it….And I prefer you.”

Mesyla tilted her head. “Why?”

“In the wind current that went east, it showed me a life where your brother blows the Horn of Trykar into war and annihilates half of Arla. But in the current that went west, it showed me a story where a formidable queen and her most loyal commander sever the reality of Arla, but Arla lives on.”

Mesyla lowered her head.

“I can’t do this. I can’t believe you.” She stuttered. “Neither of those options sound great to me.”

Rosar bent down and placed her right palm under Mesyla’s chin, tilting her head upwards.

“Your brother is killing you, Mesyla.” She hissed. “The milk with Madelyn Sap has been poisoned with the 31st Toxin of Nirea. And if he succeeds, he will destroy our world.”

“But you just said that I will destroy reality.”
“And that’s a story I’ll rather live in.”
Mesyla rubbed her temples. This was too much for her.
“I think it’s time for you to leave, Rosar.” She declared.
“Fine.”

Rosar and Mesyla brought their mugs to the kitchen where Gin was waiting. “I’ll walk you out.” Gin offered.
“I’ll do it.” Mesyla suggested instead.

The walk to the door was quiet. When they finally made it, Mesyla grabbed Rosar’s left hand.
“There’s another reason you’re telling me this… and not my father.”
Rosar smirked. “You’re right.”
“Well?”
“If the west wind current is still in existence years from now, I will come to you for a favor. My mother had a vision and plan. And I must follow it through.” She revealed.

Mesyla crossed her arms over her chest. “And what if I refuse?
“Trust me, you won’t.” She boasted. “Your love for one will lead you to your decision.”
“Love?”
“Yes.” Rosar responded. “An unexpected love.”

Mesyla had enough of surprises for today. She didn’t want to know more.
“Goodbye, Rosar.”

***

Mesyla couldn’t sleep that night. She didn’t let her darlings out of her sight. Before bed, she only gave them water and fruit. But Mesara, the youngest, was getting worse. So Mesyla laid on the floor with her that night, gently caressing her, as Yla and Ges watched.

“It’ll be okay.” She whispered.

***

The next morning, as soon as Mesyla heard the slamming of a door, she raced to her own, cracking it slowly.

After a minute, she saw her brother sneaking back into his room.

When his door was closed again, Mesyla closed her own and hurried to get dressed. As she was putting on a black scarf, there was a knock on the door.

“It’s Gin.”
“Come in.”

Gin was carrying a small bottle. Inside, there was a red liquid. “I tested the milk with an elixir.”
“And?”
“This was the milk, Princess. The elixir revealed the milk to be contaminated with a red poison. It has a very burnt smell.” She revealed.
“A toxin?”
Gin nodded.
“I guess it’s time for me to talk to my brother.”

***

After she got dressed, Mesyla cautiously knocked on her brother’s door. For a year now, he really enjoyed his private time in his own chambers.

“Xand, we need to talk.” She yelled.

“Go away, Mesyla.”

She went in anyway.

“Did you not hear me?” He said. “Go away.”

This was Mesyla’s first time in her brother’s room in weeks. He didn’t let anyone come in here anymore, not her, nor Talo. There were black drawings everywhere. As she went to inspect one on the wardrobe, Xand came behind her and took it from her view.

“Where have you been, Xand? Does father know you haven’t slept here in weeks?” She asked.

“Tell him. I don’t care.”
Mesyla took a deep breath, and placed her hands on her hips. “How about I tell him about the milk?”

Xand immediately stopped fiddling with his drawings.
“What are you talking about?” He asked, voice shaky.
“31st Toxin of Nirea?”
“I don’t know what you are talking about, Mesyla.”

“Enough.” She yelled. “I’m not leaving until you tell me why you have been trying to kill me.”

Xand massaged the back of his neck. “Mesyla, you’re crazy.”
“Maybe, I am.” She responded. “I am my mother’s daughter after all.”
“And just like our mother, you are an anomaly. That’s not something to brag about.” He countered.
“Maybe, it isn’t.”

After a minute of silence, Mesyla gave up.

“Fine, I’m telling father.” She declared.

When she reached for the door handle, Xand spoke up again. “I’m the heir.” He professed.

“And like spares, heirs can die.” She responded coldly, her back still turned away from him.

“And that’s what you’ve wanted all along, isn’t it? My inheritance.” He asked.

Mesyla threw her arms in the air and marched towards her brother.

“I don’t want any of it.” She objected.

Xand snorted. “Don’t lie to me.”
“Why would I want your burden?”
“It’s not a burden. It’s glory and power.” He answered.

Mesyla was tired of going back and forth. All she wanted was for him to confess, and then maybe they could fix what went wrong. But Mesyla didn’t recognize her brother anymore.

“I’m going to Majes. We’ll see how father reacts.” She announced.

As she was making her way back to the door, Xand threw a glass at her…just barely missing her heard.

When she turned around, she saw her brother charging at her.

A struggle ensued.

Mesyla attempted to slide to the right, but Xand grabbed her arm, and pulled them down to the floor on their sides. Mesyla tried to crawl the other direction, but Xand grabbed onto the sleeve of her robe, ripping the fabric. She used her other hand to slap his hand away. “Let go.” She screamed.

Once he was able to grab her again, he threw his right leg over her body, and climbed on top, pinning her to the ground.

“You have always envied my position.” He mocked.
“Get off me.”
“I will not let you steal my crown.” He spat. “We won’t let that happen.”“What are you talking about? Who is this we?”

Xand shook his head. “You never believed me. Told me I was foolish.”
“What are you talking about?”
“The Unseen.” He whispered closely to her face. “The Unseen has shown me everything.”
“What?” She breathed.
“I have seen a future where you steal my crown and destroy this world….and I can’t let that happen.”

Mesyla shook her head. “Xand, you are the eldest. The essence will certainly go to you.”
“No, Mesyla. Not certainly.”
“It’s only happened twice, brother.”
“Twice is too many.” He responded. “And you are the ideal vessel.”
Mesyla suddenly stopped trying to free herself. “What?”
“The King’s Gem, loved by all. By the Desert Prince. The Queen of the Isle. Choosing you would be a dream. You will have access to every place and everyone on Arla.”
“As King, you will too.” She countered.
Xand shook his head.
“And you are a drifter.” He whispered. “Capable of traveling between realms. Just like our mother.”
“Just let me go. We can talk about this.” Mesyla begged.

At that exact moment, the shattering of glass was heard. The noise startled both Mesyla and Xand. Taking advantage of Xand’s brief distraction, Mesyla grabbed a nearby glass shard of the mug he threw at her and stabbed him in the arm.

“Ahhh.”

While he was distracted with his arm, Mesyla began crawling towards the door. But Xand wasn’t going to let her go that easily.

He reached for and grabbed her ankle, but she kicked him in his face and kept going.

Once she made to the door, she didn’t go to open it. Instead, she retrieved a larger glass shard. A shard Xand didn’t see her grab.

When he reached for her again, Mesyla turned and sliced him right across the face.

Another struggle then ensued.

Both began rolling around on the floor, trying to get the upper hand of one other.

This time, Mesyla managed to pin him down. And when she did, she aggressively shoved the glass in his eye, over and over again, until there was no longer a pulse.

The only living being in that room was the King’s Gem, the anomaly, the Drifter Princess. The King’s Gold was now dead.

“It was either you or me, brother.” Mesyla’s last words to her brother.

 

If you made it this far, tell me who is your favorite character so far?

And if you would like early access to chapters, sign up for my newsletter here: https://chroniclesofarla.wordpress.com/newsletter/

0