Chapter 12: Coronation Ceremonies Part II
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Mesyla’s completion of the Coronation Trials, she went back to Jasa to rest for the remainder of the night. The trials weakened her, mentally and physically. The next morning, preparations for Mesyla’s move from Jasa to Majes were underway. Mesyla was set to inherit Majes Palace after The Crowning—the last coronation event.

Upstairs alone, Mesyla was lying on her back as she fiddled with an Arran stone—a jade colored stone that releases a humming sound when one strokes the pointy tip. The only thing on her mind was her mother….wondering if she was disappointed in her….Or did she see the monster in her own son. 

After a while, Mesyla decided to take a nap before it was time to get ready for the Formal Ballthe second coronation event—and the grandest party of them all. Mesyla was excited to wear the most extravagant dress and luxurious jewels she’s ever worn in her life. All of the Arlan Kings and Queens were invited….including their families.

The Formal Ball serves both as a party and a private informal introduction to the new crown. 

It was still early in the day, so Mesyla wanted to rest before the festivities. But as soon as she closed her eyes, someone knocked on her door. Mesyla didn’t say anything. Instead, she hoped the person would take the hint. But the door opened anyway. 

“Mesyla, it’s me.” Talo whispered. “Are you sleeping?”

At the sound of his voice, Mesyla jolted upright. “Talo!”

Talo slowly closed the door before bolting straight for the bed…taking a seat on the edge. 

“Why are you not getting ready?” He asked. “Are you not feeling well?”

Mesyla waved him off. “I have hours.”

“Are you excited?”

Mesyla tilted her head. “What do you think?”

“Think or know?” He responded   

“Don’t.” She responded blandly. 

Talo smiled.

“So….” She started.  

“So…..” He repeated back. “What’s wrong, Mesyla?”

Mesyla nervously ran her hand through her hair. 

“I’m going to do the dance.” She revealed. 

“The mating dance? You found a partner?” 

Mesyla nodded. 

Since the beginning, it has been expected but not required for heirs to perform a mating dance with a partner of their choosing—the person the heir chooses to reproduce and bear the next heir with. And in most cases, they wed. 

Mesyla has had years to find a partner from the list of acceptable suitors. But then there was Jaho. And he was never, nor could be, an option. So she hadn’t really thought about actually performing it….until recently. 

Talo was a bit taken aback. He knew Mesyla…and she never mentioned anyone else. She also hadn’t mentioned to him she was going to dance.  

“Well, who is it?” He asked. 

Mesyla slowly raised her right hand and pointed at Talo.

Talo gave her a blank look. “Are you serious?”

“Come on, you said you would.”

“Yes, if you didn’t find anyone. And you have a list of suitors.” He answered. 

“But I don’t want them. I want you… I trust you.”

Talo fell backwards on the bed. Mesyla moved to the side…making room for him. 

Their faces were only inches apart. And that’s when Mesyla noticed the small dark marking on his chin.

Without thinking, she grabbed his chin. “Talo, what happened?”

“Just an accident.”

“I leave you alone for one day and this is what happens?!”

Mesyla was gently rubbing her fingertips over the dark marking when Talo placed his own left hand on top of hers. 

“It’s nothing, Mesyla.” He answered softly.

“What happened? Did someone hurt you?” She rushed out. 

Talo shook his head. “Just an accident.” 

Mesyla studied him for a long minute. She knew he was lying, but she didn’t want to argue…not today. It was her day. So she let his chin go.

“If you say yes to be my partner, then I’ll let this go.”

Talo raised his eyebrows. 

Mesyla did the same. “Well?”

“Mesyla.” He murmured. 

“We are not going to have sex, Talo. It’s a mating dance. Everyone needs to see that I’m serious about the future of the Kingdom and not some pretty, broken princess who's going to be alone forever.”

“And what about your special guests?”

“You mean Jaho?” 

Talo nodded. 

“You’ll wear the cloak. No one will know it’s you.” 

Talo let out a deep sigh. “Why do I have a feeling that I was your plan all along?”

“Maybe.” Mesyla grinned. 

Talo rolled his eyes. 

“Get me the cloak then.” He muttered. 

Mesyla immediately jumped on Talo and pulled him to a tight hug. 

“Thank you.” She whispered as they hugged. 

As they embraced each other, Talo took a deep breath taking in her apple scent.

When she pulled back, they stared intensely into each other’s eyes. 

“Do you still remember the moves I taught you years ago?” She asked. 

“Yes.” Talo confirmed. 

“Good….but let’s practice anyway.”

***

After Talo and Mesyla were done practicing, she sent him away to get dressed. Before he departed, they exchanged one long, warm hug and he whispered to her, ‘You know I will do anything for you.’ 

Instead of telling him that she always only wanted him as her partner, the friend she’s known the longest, Mesyla gave him a small smile in return. 

Only two minutes later, she was joined by Opal, a pretty, young servant responsible for her hair. Mesyla was eating a bowl of porridge as Opal placed her curls in a tight updo that left only a few curls intentionally left loose. After applying the gel, she began covering her entire head in cream snake-shaped jewels...pinning them delicately.

Once she was done, Opal handed Mesyla a mirror.

“Is this okay?” Opal asked. 

Mesyla nodded and handed back the mirror to Opal. 

Opal placed the mirror back on the wardrobe and picked up a white ribbon.  

“Ribbon or no ribbon?” She asked. 

Mesyla turned around to face Opal. “What do you think?”

“Ribbon.” She answered quickly. 

“Ribbon it is.” 

Once Opal was done, Mesyla stood from her chair and walked to the standing mirror.

“Wow.” She whispered. 

“You are beautiful, your highness.”

Mesyla gave her a warm smile.  “Thank you. You can go get Gin now. Tell her I’m ready to get dressed.”

***

“Mesyla, are you sure you prefer this top?” Gin asked. “It’s not too tight, is it?”

After Gin was retrieved, Mesyla had tried on four different costumes for the mating dance and eight other dresses. 

As tradition, she was expected to wear three different costumes. An entrance dress. A costume for the mating dance. And a dress for the transitional dance—a dance between the departing crown and the incoming one. 

Mesyla was now putting on her costume for the mating dance….which had to be worn under the entrance dance. She had decided on wearing the white bandeau top with a backless back that consisted only of a gold snake chain snuggled against her skin, and a matching short, tight fitted white skirt that had to be tied together.  

“You don’t like it?” Mesyla asked. 

“I do.” Gin answered. “Are you sure it’s not too tight though?”

Mesyla nodded. 

After Gin tied the back of the skirt together, she stepped in front of Mesyla and gave her a long look. 

“You are stunning.” Gin mouthed. 

Mesyla's eyes began to well up. 

Gin reached out and caressed her cheek.  “What’s wrong?”

“We can never let anyone know what we did, Gin.” She whispered. “Father must never know.”

After she arrived back in Jasa, Mesyla immediately told Gin what she saw during the last trial and how her past self forced her to confront what she had done. Gin comforted her and made her a cuppa. 

“Of course.”

“I had no choice.” Mesyla added. 

We didn’t have a choice.” Gin corrected. “You have always been my responsibility.”

Mesyla nodded and let out a deep breath she didn’t even know she was holding. 

“Okay.” She breathed. 

Gin reached for her left hand and gave it a small squeeze. “Ready for the dress now?” Mesyla nodded.  

From the wardrobe, Gin removed a cream colored dress with a sweetheart neckline covered in heavy sparkling jewels. At the bottom, there were two slits on each side.  

Putting on the dress was much more difficult than they both expected. But with a bit of help from two servants, they ended up getting it done. 

“It’s not too heavy, is it?” Gin asked. 

Mesyla shook her head. 

“You’ll only wear it for a brief time.” Gin explained as she buttoned the back.  She was on the last button when someone knocked on the door. 

Talo. He was already dressed.

Wow.” He gasped. “You look amazing, Mesyla.”

“What are you doing here?” Mesyla questioned. 

Talo was holding the illusion cloak in his hands.

“I wanted to see how you wanted me to wear this.” 

“You can wear it around your neck.” She answered. 

Talo nodded. “I’ll leave you now.” 

Once he was out of the room again, Gin gave Mesyla a pointed look.

“What?” Mesyla blurted.

“He’s a good choice.” Gin remarked. “The right choice.”

Mesyla’s jaw dropped. “And what is that supposed to mean?”

Gin lowered her gaze and shook her head. “Sometimes, my child, love is both unexpected and right in front of you.”

“He’s my best friend, Gin.” 

“A friend who you have shared many firsts with.” 

Mesyla gave Gin a stern look.  

“First kiss. A first…” Gin continued. 

“Enough.” Mesyla snapped. “Let’s just finish getting ready.”

Gin nodded and went back to the wardrobe. 

She grabbed a pair of chandelier earrings from the top and began putting them on Mesyla. After she finished, she turned to Mesyla and told her, “He won’t break your heart like Jaho has.”

“He already did.” Mesyla responded coldly. 

***

The sun was finally setting. The guests had arrived and were seated in the Grand Room of Almaran Palace. For the first time in ages, all of the Sovereign Crowns were in one big room. Queen Sharra of the Isle Kingdom arrived with her Second of Command, Emmar, the Pariesa of the Isle. They looked pretty cozy together. 

The Desert King arrived with his family, including Jaho, the First Prince. 

King Stefan and Queen Rosar, who were sitting to the right of The Desert King, arrived in style and without their children.

And King Kyrian, who arrived last, came with his wife, Larella. This was Kyrian’s first appearance among the Crowns in ages. 

Other guests included the extended family, close friends, several members of the Royal Court, the servants of both Jasa and Majes, and the entire Royal Council and their families. Everyone was engaged in conversation when the lights suddenly dimmed and a bell was rung. 

The doors to the room were shut and a young man walked to the center.  

“Welcome to the Ball!” He announced. “Please stand for King Jamos and Princess Mesyla.”

As they entered, the room was as quiet as a mouse. 

King Jamos was wearing an emerald suit, while Mesyla was wearing her ball gown and a gold mask. Once they made it to the center of the room, Jamos let go of Mesyla’s hand and took a seat at the head table. Then he nodded. This was Mesyla’s cue…to continue a tradition. 

She lifted up her right hand and released a burst of energy. The energy, her magic, hit the elaborate painting of King Jamos on the ceiling, and transformed it into a painting of her, riding a First Beast and wearing the Crown of Trykar…signifying the end of an old reign and beginning of a new one. 

When she was done, she lowered her hand and turned back to her guests. “Let’s party.” She yelled. 

***

Mesyla was making her way around the room, taking the time to say hello to everyone. She had just made it to the table of Queen Sharra of the Isle. 

“I’m so sorry to hear about your husband.” She told her. 

Mesyla didn’t find out until after her Ascension that Sharra had her husband executed. No one outside of the Isle knows why though. 

Emmar, who was sitting next to her, snorted. Sharra gave her a stern look before turning her attention back to Mesyla.

“Thank you.” Sharra responded. 

Mesyla nodded and kept going…making her way around the room.

At last, she reached the Desert Table and Jaho.

“Mesyla, you look amazing.” Jaho’s father said. 

“Thank you.”

“You obviously know the family.” 

“Oh, yes.” She answered. 

But then a young woman coughed. She was sitting next to Jaho. Mesyla didn’t recognize her. 

“Oh, my apologies. This is Feraë.” Jaho’s father said. 

Feraë smiled and extended her hand. 

Mesyla reluctantly shook it. 

“Nice to meet you.” Feraë said. “You are stunning.”

“Likewise.” 

“Feraë is—” 

“Let’s not bore Mesyla.” Jaho interrupted, stopping his father before he could finish.  

For the first time, Jaho and Mesyla looked into each other’s eyes. 

“I should go.” Mesyla muttered. “Thank you for attending.”

And off she went. 

***

Mesyla was a couple of drinks in when her father pulled her to her side. 

“You look so beautiful, my child.” He professed. 

Mesyla smiled. Her cheeks turned slightly pink. 

“Are you ready for the dance?” He asked. 

She nodded. 

“Talo is a really good choice.” 

“Father.” She groaned. “Talo is just doing me a favor.”

“He’s a good choice, Mesyla.” He reiterated. A sound of approval in his voice. 

“It’s basically impossible for Incarnates to reproduce with each other, Father. You know this.”

“It won’t hurt to try.” He mumbled. “Maybe you’ll be the anomaly.” 

Mesyla took a deep breath. 

“I just want the best for you, Mesyla.”

“I know, Father.”

Jamos reached out and tightened one of the ribbons around her curls. “Well, it’s almost time for the dance. Are you sure Talo’s cloak is fully inscribed with magic?”

“Of course.” She answered. “I’m a quick learner.”

“Let’s get started then.”

***

When Jamos returned to the Grand Room, he picked up his glass and started tapping it with his knife. 

“Guests, I call your attention.” He shouted. 

Everyone stopped speaking with each other. 

“It is time for the mating dance.” He announced. “Some of you may not be familiar with this tradition, but it is expected for the incoming crown to have chosen a partner to secure the future of the kingdom. Mesyla has chosen her partner and would like to showcase this bone tonight.”

Jamos began looking around the room. He noticed Jaho was frowning. He loved it. 

“So please stand….and enjoy the show.” He concluded. 

Once Jamos was seated, the room went completely dark. Suddenly, a humming sound was heard…followed by drums. After a very long minute, the lights were back on and Mesyla was in the center of the room…with Talo…on the floor. Both were wearing their costumes and masks.  

“Are you ready?” Mesyla whispered. 

Talo nodded. 

And then they began the dance…starting with Mesyla and Talo crawling towards each other. Once they reached each other, Mesyla straddled him and removed his mask.  Then Talo grabbed both of her hands and flipped them with him on top. She placed her hand over his mouth, removed it, and placed the same hand over her mouth. Talo did the same. With her free hand, Mesyla placed it on the hand Talo was using to cover his mouth. Talo did the same. 

They kept their hands there as they both raised to stand before removing them completely. Mesyla then placed her right hand on Talo’s upper waist and began to circle him….for an entire minute. Then it was Talo’s turn. When he finished, he grabbed her hand and pulled her to his chest….and they broke into a sultry tango that lasted for three minutes. In the final seconds, Talo removed Mesyla’s mask, dipped her, and placed a small kiss on Mesyla’s lips. 

Following Jamos, the room broke into applause. 

Everyone was still on their feet…except Jaho. 

***

After the dance was over, Mesyla rushed to change into her final dress. The cream colored silk dress had a plunging V-neck with straps adorned with snake gems. It was time for the transitional dance. The dance between the departing crown and the incoming one. 

As the sweet moment unfolded, everyone was on their feet watching. Mesyla and Jamos both had tears in their eyes. 

“Are you going to cry?” She asked.

Jamos shook his head. “Not now. Maybe later.”

Mesyla started to sniffle. “Same.”

“You’re going to be an amazing queen.” He croaked.

Mesyla smiled and then placed her head on his chest. She kept it there until the dance was over.  

Afterwards, Jamos gave one final speech and said goodnight to everyone. As everyone departed, Mesyla and Jamos both thanked everyone for attending. After the room was empty, Jamos and Mesyla said goodnight to each other with a long warm embrace and went their separate ways. 

When Mesyla made it back to Jasa, she rushed to the kitchen for fruit. She was craving green berries dipped in honey. 

As she prepared a bowl, she heard something. A noise from outside. 

“Robere!” She yelled. 

Robere immediately came to the kitchen. “Yes.”

“I heard a noise outside.”

Robere nodded. “I’ll go check.”

Less than a minute later, Robere returned…..with Jaho. 

“Jaho.” She groaned. “What are you doing here? I don’t have time for this.”

He was visibly angry. “Who was that guy?”

Mesyla shook her head and returned to her bowl.

“Are you going to marry him? Bear his children?” He badgered. 

“Are you going to marry Ferae?” She spat back. 

Jaho rubbed his hands over his face. 

“Get out, Jaho.”

“Ferae will only be a wife on paper.” He explained. “I only have love for you.”

“I don’t care, Jaho.” She snorted. “You lied to me.”

“I didn’t, actually….I just didn’t tell you.”

Mesyla was trembling with anger. 

“And you think that makes it better?” She shouted. “Get out.”

Jaho placed his hands in his pocket and made his way towards the door. “I’ll let you cool down. But this isn’t over.” 

***

After Jaho left, Mesyla went outside and plopped down on one of the green chairs. She really wanted to drift to the other realms. But several servants from Majes were staying at Jasa and drifting in the company of strangers was not ideal. So instead, she finished up her fruit and gazed up at the night sky. She was nearly done when Talo joined and sat next to her.

“Well, that was fun.” He said. 

“Yeah.” She mumbled. 

“What’s wrong? Did you not have a good time?”

“Tonight was magical, Talo.”

“It was.” He murmured.

Mesyla shifted in her seat….turning her full body towards Talo.

“What did you think of the dance?”

“It was… different. Intense. The drumming was louder than expected.” 

Mesyla laughed.  “I thought my ears were going to explode.” 

“Same.” Talo laughed. 

“So…are you ready?” She asked. 

Talo raised his eyebrows. “For?”

“To be my crowned king? The mating dance was real, actually. I’m sorry I lied. It had to be a secret.” 

Talo jumped from his seat.  “Mesyla!”

Mesyla wiggled her eyebrows.

“I—-”  Talo started  

“I’m joking, Talo.” She giggled. “Sit down.”

Talo let out a deep breath and returned to his seat. 

Mesyla returned her gaze to the sky. 

After a moment of silence, Mesyla turned her entire body back to Talo. He was already looking at her. 

“Would you have said yes?” She whispered. 

Talo winked. 

 

To be continued 



0