Chapter 16: Thalassia Part II
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Emmar waited outside the Blue Door, her mind went immediately back to Sharra. Her twinkling, green eyes. Soft, supple skin. How she rarely let her hair down. Instead, preferring to pin down her straight locks with shell pearls found only in the East Thalassian Sea. She missed her.

And the longer she waited, the more restless she got, and desperate to return to the palace. 

Then suddenly, it began to rain.

“Something is wrong.” She gasped out loud. 

But before she could turn and leave, Emmar was immediately reminded why she was there. The Blue Door opened and a short woman with red, glowing eyes appeared. Diala. A compelled desire. 

As the Incarnate of Desire, blessed with the primal essence of the Goddess of Love, Lust, & Desire inside her, Emmar possessed a hypnotizing power that allowed one to see through one’s desires and manipulate them. But her favorite power was creating Compelled Desires, beings bound to her. Diala was one of them.

“I’m here, My Goddess.” Diala said softly. She was wearing a long, white skirt and a green colored scarf, draped across her chest. 

Once the door was shut, Emmar transformed back into her normal appearance and snapped her fingers in front of Diala’s face. 

“Diala.” She yelled, breaking the hypnosis. 

Diala stumbled backwards and immediately frowned when she realized where she was. 

“You know, you could have just come in and sat for a drink.” Diala said angrily, a hand on her hip. She really didn’t like when Emmar played her mind games on her. 

Emmar waved her off. 

“Any news?” She asked instead. 

Diala shook her head. 

Emmar grunted. “Where is Sami?”

“In the Meadows, last time I heard.” Diala answered.  “How was the coronation?” 

Emmar’s eyes lit up. 

“Marvelous.” She sang. “We were served Nectar and laminae. I see why they are always so happy in the Mountains.”

“Sounds fun.” Diala mumbled.

“Oh, and Mesyla turned into a sea green bird. Sharra was even stunned.” 

At the mention of Sharra, Diala raised her eyebrows. “And how was Sharra’s company?”

Emmar lightly pressed her fingers to her lips. Taking a moment to think before answering.

“In…better….spirits.” She answered slowly. “She is much happier now. Like a weight has been finally lifted. I’m happy for her.”

Diala began rubbing her temples. 

“Emmar.” She sighed. “Getting close to her only makes it harder.”

Emmar turned her head away from Diala. 

“What do you think she’ll do if she finds out you have been working with Sami and the Separationists?” Diala continued. “She is more emotional than her mother and grandmother. You see the skies. You break her heart…. and she’ll open that staff.” 

The Staff of Skyra…the weapon gifted by the Goddess Skyra to her Incarnate that serves as a portal of oceans. 

Emmar waved her off again. 

“Diala, that staff was destroyed in the war…45 years ago….with Shioban.” Emmar assured. “And I’m not exactly manipulating her….I’m just slowly leading her to an outcome that’ll satisfy us all.”

Diala rolled her eyes.  “Why can’t you just compel her?” 

Emmar let out a huge groan.  “I told you, using that power on another Incarnate is draining. And if I fail, our plan will fail.” She explained. “And if you must know, she is more sympathetic to the Separationist cause with me in her corner…unlike her mother.”

Diala wasn’t convinced. She wasn’t sure whether she should ask her next question, but it came out anyway. 

“Do you care for her?” She blurted. 

Emmar whipped her head back towards Diala. 

“That doesn’t matter.” She responded coldly, her arms folded across her chest. 

“Do you love her? Because if you do…and Sami finds out, they won’t trust you anymore.” 

“And how would they find this out, Diala? Because for your sake, that would be extremely terrible.”

“Emmar, we’ve known each other since The Dusting. You can’t scare me….and you won’t hurt me” 

Emma rolled her eyes. 

“I know.” She murmured. “Southern Benna.”

“Partners in crime.” Diala murmured back. 

Emmar ran her left hand through her hair and began pacing the back alley. Diala, who was leaning against the wall, noticed Emmar was wearing a new bracelet. But before she could ask about it, Emmar began walking towards her. 

“I’m not trying to scare you, Diala. I’m only telling you the truth. Desire lives within me and she’s going to do everything in her power to reclaim her throne. I won’t hurt you, but she may.” Emmar warned. 

Emmar suddenly had Diala trapped against the wall. 

“I’m just warning you, Emmar. They’re getting impatient. They want Benna back, and you promised them it’ll happen under your leadership.” Diala responded, voice shaky. 

“She just delivered a baby and executed her husband. Be patient.”

Diala shook her head. “It’s not me that you have to convince. It’s Sami.” Diala’s father and the best friend of Emmar’s father. 

Their friendship is the reason why Diala and Emmar are best friends. They were fourteen and playing in the sand on the Southern Benna coast, while their parents were engrossed in an intense conversation. Both would later find out that their parents, both involved in the Separationists movement, were the lead orchestrators of The Dusting. A mystical bombing that killed many of the Isle’s army. 

When Emmar discovered her father was partly responsible, shouting and screaming took over their household. 

‘How could you do that? You are the Pariesa of the Isle. You’re supposed to be a leader.’ She screamed. 

‘This is me being a leader, my red.’ He shouted back.  

Afterwards, Emmar’s mother sat her down and explained the Separationists movement and how their goal was to reclaim Benna back…and how when she ascends, she must work with Sami and the movement…in secret.

But Emmar always said, Sami was her father’s best friend. Not hers. And Emmar didn’t want war…not like them. Instead, she believed in a more safe and logical process. And she knew her way was the right way when she was able to take a peek into Sharra’s desires, and saw that she was the perfect queen to compel naturally, a queen who doesn’t even want to be queen. 

But little did Emmar know, despite her new bond with the Queen, Sharra had her own agenda she was keeping from her. 

 
0