Chapter 5. Magic Classes
95 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First of all, I want to say that I will stop using dashes for certain precautions. I hope the change doesn't bother you too much. Without further ado, enjoy....


Chapter 5. Magic Classes

I found myself on the white plain, right next to the frozen stream. Finally, someone was willing to teach me what I had longed for all my life: learning to use magic.

"Well, the first thing you need to know before using magic is to understand what mana is. Mana is the spiritual energy that flows within our bodies, the substance that allows us to use magic," explained Floyd.

"Yeah, yeah, I know what it is, you don't have to remind me," I said, eager to skip explanations as I wasn't interested.

"Really? Well, if you say so, we can move on to the next step directly. So, the next thing you need to do is to be aware of your own mana. What do I mean? You have to know that this mana is yours and yours alone, as if it were another part of your body. Do you understand what I mean?" Floyd asked.

"I think so, more or less," I said, not entirely understanding.

"Hmm, does that mean I didn't explain myself well?" Floyd asked to confirm.

"Sorry, but I didn't understand. I mean, I understood about feeling it as a part of my body, but I didn't understand how to do it."

"Mmm... well, let me see, how can I explain it? You're too young; you wouldn't understand. Even I don't know exactly how to explain it. It usually comes naturally, like breathing, or adding, or reading," said Floyd, scratching his head.

"Just say it; maybe you'll be surprised. I'm sure I'll understand," I encouraged.

"You know, for your age, you act pretty mature. So, let's see... well, the first thing you need to do is imagine a source of energy within your body, and that this energy is always available to you whenever you wish," Floyd said.

"Alright," I concentrated on myself, thinking about any kind of energy inside me. I thought about what kind of energy it could be. Electric? No, energy is the currency of exchange in the universe, so my energy is the quantity I have to use magic. I imagined a blue flame inside me, like in anime.

"I don't know if you know this, but just like blood flows through the bloodstream, mana also has channels through which it flows and can exit the body. Make that energy flow through those channels, pass through your body, and exit your body," I heard Floyd's explanations with my eyes closed.

I imagined that energy flowing like water through my body. I tried to recreate what happens in anime, concentrating my chakra points, making it flow through every corner of my body like in a microwave. I think that's how it goes, right?

With all my strength, I wished to feel something, something different. I had tried this before, but now I had to succeed. I couldn't disappoint Floyd. In anime, they said something about peace and tranquility; maybe that's why the energy wasn't flowing. I relaxed my muscles, my facial expression, and cleared my mind, focusing only on trying to make my mana flow, on nothing else.

My eyes were closed, so I couldn't see Floyd and Kassia. I was about to give up, but then I felt a slight tingling sensation running down my back. It was a cold sensation, as if that part of my body was going numb. I felt an intense tingling sensation running through the limbs of my body until it reached the tips of my fingers. It was a very cold sensation; it really felt like someone had thrown a bucket of cold water over me.

"Ah! I think I got it," I said as I opened my eyes.

"Perfect. Now concentrate on what you want to do. For example, push the wind, make a ball of water, or fire," said Floyd excitedly.

"How am I supposed to make one?" I asked annoyed, as he never explained that to me.

"Oh, right. It's simple. Which element do you feel more affinity towards?" Floyd said, as if he knew.

"I don't know," I replied.

"Haha, because I think first, you had to take a test to find out which element you're more attuned to. And now that I think about it, I guess you should have seen a demonstration," Floyd said thoughtfully.

"You're a terrible teacher, and you want to have your own school," Kassia said angrily.

"Haha, sorry, sorry. It's my first time doing this. My little sister practically did everything on her own; I just instructed her a bit. I'm sorry," Floyd said with a nervous smile.

"And you complain that they don't learn well," I exclaimed annoyed.

"Okay, sorry, stop complaining and watch. Wind magic is the easiest to perform. You just have to mix your mana with the air. That's done simply by expelling it and moving it around you. But the disadvantage is that it's hard to control. Water magic is also quite simple. Being a denser element than air, you can mold it more easily, but it's harder. It's easier to mold but harder to move. Which one do you choose?" Floyd asked.

"Which one are you more attuned to?" I asked.

"I'm more attuned to water. Watch this," Floyd moved his hand towards the frozen lake, placed his palm in front of the ice, and instantly it melted, and a water ball the size of a soccer ball rose.

As he moved his palm, the water ball followed him as if it were attached to him. He moved it in front of him, placing his two hands underneath the ball.

Instantly, it split into two balls of the same amount before spinning around themselves.

He raised his palm in front of him, pointing at one of the dry trees in the area. In an instant, it shot out at incredible speed, crashing into one of the branches.

The impact was so strong that the branch broke, and it wasn't just any branch; it was at least as thick as a dinner plate, and it didn't seem fragile. Despite the tree being dry, the wood seemed to be in good condition, as a loud crack echoed throughout the area. The second water ball was so fast that it went through the central trunk of the tree from one side to the other, like it was nothing.

"So, what do you think? How was that?" Floyd asked.

"That, that can be very dangerous, but it was incredible! The force of the impact was brutal, just to be able to go through the wood. With that, you could kill someone with a single blow!"

"Haha, indeed it can be, but I hadn't thought about how dangerous it is," Floyd said thoughtfully.

"That's nothing. My wind magic is better, hm?" Kassia said, interrupting.

"We'll see about that. Now, it's your turn, Aylin," Floyd said.

"Alright."

"Follow the previous two steps, and I'll guide you on how to control the water," Floyd explained.

"Okay."

I approached the hole Floyd made in the ice and placed my palm in front of it, just as Floyd did. I concentrated, this time focusing on the strange sensation from the first time.

With that in mind, almost immediately I felt that chill inside me again. I began to move that sensation throughout my body like before, until it reached the tips of my fingers.

"And then, what do I do?" I asked.

"You have to draw the mana from your body and mold it into what you desire," Floyd explained.

"I'll try."

I tried to draw the mana from my body, but I didn't understand how. How could I feel that sensation outside my body? I can't feel outside my body.

"Aylin, you must be careful because when the mana flow exits your body, it can do so uncontrollably, and it's dangerous to deplete it. So, you must cut off the mana flow before your reserves run out. Be very careful," Floyd warned.

Mana flow, of course Floyd mentioned that it depends on imagination, as well as feeling it as an extension of my body. So, with that in mind, I imagined that at the end of my hand was a water faucet.

And that strange sensation was the handle. I opened the handle of my mana. I felt as if that strange sensation was leaving my body.

Yes, I still felt the sensation of mana flowing through my arm, except that it ended at the tips of my fingers. It's very difficult to explain what I feel and the mental image generated through this.

In short, I realized that mana has its own touch, and I can feel through it. I noticed this when the mana leaves my body, and the tactile sensation it gives me inside my body is like running a finger over your arm.

The mental image generated by the mana as it moves through my body is similar to that of a wave that, upon leaving my body, completely loses its shape. It stops following my instructions, but the one closest to me remains under my control.

Mana is super malleable, and it can take on any shape I desire, although it's quite unstable and very difficult to control, but I suppose this is due to my inexperience. About 10 centimeters away from me, the mana doesn't lose its strength.

Truly, that's very little. Anyway, I submerged my hands in the icy water and imagined the large water ball Floyd formed at the beginning. I put all my effort, energy, and soul into it. I opened my eyes and pulled my hands out of the water only to see a small water ball come out with my hands. It barely reached the size of a plastic ball, and it followed my right palm wherever it went, as if it were stuck to my hand like a magnet.

I shook my hand to see if it would separate, but no, I passed my finger through the distance between the water ball and my palm out of curiosity, but it didn't feel strange at all.

"Wow, you really did it, kid, you're amazing," exclaimed Floyd, genuinely surprised.

"Well done, Aylin, I knew you would make it," said Kassia, puffing out her chest with pride.

"What??!! Did she really do it? At such a young age?!? Impressive!" exclaimed Galia.

I ignored the comments around me. The first thing I tried was to deform the water ball. I joined my palms, and as if I were pulling with an invisible force, the water ball began to stretch as I separated my hands. But it lost stability; I felt it was about to burst. I tried to bring it back together, but I couldn't; it was as if it resisted being reunited.

Then I had an idea. I imagined the water spinning on itself as Floyd did. I wanted to try two things: maybe it would regain its spherical shape by spinning due to centrifugal force, and the second thing was to see if I could make it spin like Floyd did. With the mental image of what I wanted it to do, the elongated water ball started spinning rapidly on itself. Every second that passed, it spun faster. It did return to its spherical shape, but it didn't last long. With each passing second, it spun faster and faster. I tried to make it stop, but I didn't know how. It spun at such a speed that it exploded all over my face from the pressure, splashing Floyd, Kassia, and Galia, who were watching me closely.

"Oops..."

"Haha, well done, kid. You really surprised me. I might say you're almost as talented as Ingrid," Floyd said as he shook my hair. I don't know why they're so obsessed with doing that, but their compliments pleased me, so I let them... just this once...

("Almost as talented? How good is she with magic?")

"Ahhh, well done, my little Aylin!" Galia hugged me again, with so much force that I felt like I was about to suffocate from the pressure.

"Galia, let go, please, I can't breathe," I spoke with difficulty.

"Oh, sorry, it wasn't my intention to hurt you," Galia said, feeling a little guilty. I really seem like her toy.

"Maybe she has a strong affinity for water magic, and that's why she could do it on the first try," Floyd said thoughtfully.

"I don't think so; she did it because she's very intelligent, right, Aylin?" Kassia rubbed my hair again, messing it all up.

"Now I want to try wind magic," Floyd said, still skeptical.

"Very well, little one. The key to wind magic is simple; you have to make your mana, as it moves, drag the air with it like this," Kassia raised her right arm, extending her palm in front of her, pointing it at Floyd, who was caught off guard.

"Wait! No! Don't take me as your test subject, Ahhh!" Floyd was shot with great force by a strong gust caused by Kassia; It was similar to a shock wave, as it hit other directions too, but with less force.

"Wow, that was great," I said, impressed.

"Yes, it was. With a little practice, you can do this," Kassia placed her hand vertically, resembling the karate movements from my old world. She raised her arm vertically, forming a 90-degree angle inside her elbow; her entire arm resembled a blade. When she swung her arm downwards, a wind blade shot out, making a deep cut on the tree trunk she was aiming at.

"Hey, crazy girl, could you try not to send people you don't like flying?" Floyd complained about Kassia's attack.

"Sorry, it's just what you deserved for treating Aylin poorly," Kassia said.

"Hey! What are you talking about? I never treated her badly," Floyd said, confused.

"Well, for not knowing how to teach. You're lucky Aylin is a smart girl, otherwise, she wouldn't have learned anything," I don't know why Kassia suddenly got so upset with Floyd, but I guess they've been like that since before.

"Come on, Aylin, why don't you try wind magic?" Kassia changed her expression from annoyed to happy, directed at me.

"Yeah, that sounds fun."

I placed my palms in front of me as Kassia had done before and tried to imagine. She said something about pushing the air along with the mana. I imagined that the mana spread out like a wave, a wave that dragged everything with it, a powerful shock wave that pushed everything around it. Yes, this wave was generated by a fan. I imagined my arms were powerful fans that sent all the air flying, that a strong current was driven from there. Suddenly, a gentle breeze was generated in front of me, originating from my palms. Just as I had imagined, the movement of the mana dragged the air along with it. It wasn't really difficult to execute since I lost control of the mana at a distance of 10 centimeters. All I did was forcefully expel it from my body.

"Well done, Aylin! You mastered two different magics on the first day, on the first try. Undoubtedly, you're a genius," Kassia said, very proud.

"Yes, it's impressive that you managed to do it. Two different magics, on the first day, on the first try, for the first time. It's not bad at all, but I expected something more impressive. Maybe you still have very little mana, perhaps that's why your magic is so weak. But still, We were expecting something more impressive," Floyd said thoughtfully.

"What do you mean by that? Huh?" Kassia said, annoyed.

"Haha, yes, Damir is my father. I see you already know him, although it's not surprising; my father and Rusben's father get along well," said Floyd.

"I had no idea Damir was a noble; my dad and he behaved so casually," I said thoughtfully.

"My father doesn't like to boast; he always tells us that we have to help others, and that's what I'm going to do by teaching magic," Floyd said proudly.

"You're both very kind people, but why do you live in this village?" I asked, confused.

"Wow, that was amazing! You're incredible! Teach me how to do that," I said excitedly.

Ingrid showed a look of disgust and avoided turning to look at me.

What's with this girl? Every time I try to be nice, she shows her disdain. If she doesn't want to be my friend, then I'll give up on trying to impress her. But that might damage my relationship with Damir and Floyd. I need to come up with a better strategy.

"Isn't she incredible?!" Floyd's face was filled with pride as he looked at his little sister. He clearly loved her a lot. I didn't want to ruin that. However, I doubted he'd support me if I told him his sweet little sister was jealous. Damn it! And I really wanted Floyd to teach me magic. After all, I think he'd make a great teacher.

"Maybe she's very good, but she still doesn't know how to use wind magic," Kassia said defiantly.

"What do you have against her? I think you're just a little jealous," Floyd said, with a mocking expression.

"Me? Jealous of her? Why would I be?" Kassia said, annoyed.

"Why would you? She learned in just one day on her own, while it took you two weeks to move a simple water ball. Besides, she's only six years old. You're jealous that she surpassed you in every aspect. You should be happy for her and support her," After Floyd said this to Kassia, I could see the satisfaction on Ingrid's face that Floyd scolded Kassia. I guess I'm not the only one she hates.

"Well, if you're going to be like that, then I'm leaving. Come on, Aylin, let's go,"

"Wait, I still want to try something,"

Maybe I won't compare to Ingrid, but that doesn't mean I can't try. I approached the edge of the lake. She glared at me as I approached, but I ignored her.

"(I can do this),"

I still don't know how to use magic. Maybe I have the imagination, I know what I want to do, how to do it, and that I can do it. Well, the reality is that I don't. The best way to explain it is like when you draw. You know what you want to do, you have the image clearly in your head, but when you grab the pencil and draw, you realize it's not coming out the way you wanted. It's the same with magic. You know what you want to do and you imagine it, but the mana doesn't obey you exactly as you want. It's more complicated. I tried to lift as much water as possible. A large sphere of water emerged from the lake, similar to a beach ball. It was heavy; I felt great pressure in my arm muscles, as if I were carrying bricks. I think my face turned red from the effort. Even everyone who was practicing magic stopped to watch me.

"Is it true that this girl learned to use magic just today?" Lucio said incredulously.

"Haha, that's Aylin showing who's better," Noel said, supporting me.

"Aylin, what the hell? We told you it was dangerous, but still, I'm completely impressed," Rusben said, between annoyed, fascinated, and proud.

I ignored all the boys' comments and continued with what I was doing. Everyone approached me to see more closely, I guess. It was becoming impossible for me to continue carrying the water ball, but I had a small problem.

"How do they throw the water ball?"

I didn't know how they threw it. At the moment, I couldn't even move it. How did she throw it? Screw it, I moved my hands as if I wanted to push the water. The water ball shot out as if something had pushed it. It only moved about two meters before falling onto the lake ice.

*Splash*

The water splashed everywhere, soaking those closest to the impact, but undoubtedly, I was the one who got the most soaked. I ended up completely drenched, exhausted, and feeling a bit dizzy.

"Ahhh... that was heavy," I gasped out of exhaustion.

There was a brief silence before everyone started laughing. My face was still red, but this time from embarrassment... Damn it, I ended up making a fool of myself and now I'm the laughingstock of everyone.

"Hahaha, Aylin, you're amazing. You didn't need to prove it. You're an exceptional kid," Noel said as he ruffled my hair.

"I'm proud of you, little sis. You're definitely a talented girl," Rusben said as he pushed Noel aside and started ruffling my hair himself.

"Hahaha, that was incredible. I thought you would be Rusben's little sister. I guess it runs in the blood," Lucio said.

"You're the best," Galia said as she jumped in to hug me.

"Yeah, Aylin, you're amazing," the boy Edris said, blushing slightly.

The one who liked this situation the least was Ingrid, who was green with envy. Her face was completely red, and she looked like she was about to explode. I couldn't care less. My head was pounding from exhaustion, and I could barely keep my eyes open.

"Well, I think that's enough training for today. How about we train again tomorrow?" Floyd said, a bit exhausted.

"Sounds good to me," Noel said.

"I'm in," Kassia added.

"I'm fine with that. Right, Aylin? Aylin?" Rusben said, concerned.

I was about to collapse on the ground. If it weren't for Rusben holding me up, I wouldn't pay attention to what the others were saying. All I know is that on the way back, Rusben carried me like a baby. It was a very mushy moment for me, but since I was so tired, I ended up falling asleep all the way home.

.

.

.

Upon arriving home, dinner was already served, and Rusben woke me up and helped me down. I couldn't even manage to say thank you. My mom seemed a bit worried about me, but seeing me fine, she didn't say anything.

"Well, how did it go?" my dad asked.

"We did well, Dad," my brother replied.

"Really, son? That's great," my father said as he took a spoonful of his plate.

"In fact, she's the one who has something to say," my brother said, patting my head.

Rusben pointed at me with his index finger. Mom and Dad stayed silent, waiting for me to speak. I didn't say anything; I just placed my palm over my glass of water to generate a small water ball and bring it to my mouth. I expected a strange taste, a magical taste perhaps? I don't know, something different. But nothing; it tasted exactly like ordinary water. In fact, since it was a mixture of water and mana, I expected something better. But if I think about it, I just consumed my own mana. Does that count as cannibalism?

I better stop thinking about weird things. The important thing was the look of amazement on my parents' faces. My mom was completely fascinated by me, and my dad had a look of both astonishment and disappointment.

"We had an agreement," my father said, sounding a bit serious.

"I'm sorry, Dad," I said, feeling a bit guilty.

"In fact, I should scold both of you: one for letting his sister do dangerous things, and the other for disobeying me," my father said without removing his serious gaze.

He must be kidding, right?

"We're sorry, Dad," my brother and I said in unison.

"It won't happen again, I promise," Rusben said.

"Not everything is my fault; I just wanted to learn magic," I said sincerely.

"Alright, alright, everything's fine. What's done is done. But when I say something, you both have to obey, understood?" my father said, relaxing his serious expression.

"Understood, Dad," my brother and I said again.

"Anyway, nothing really happened. I just mentioned it because of how dangerous it can be for a child to learn magic without adult supervision. But it's fascinating, daughter, that you learned magic at such a young age," my father said proudly.

"Yeah!" I told my parents about my day and how I learned to use magic. They were even more amazed by the fact that I did it on my first try. Rusben had the same proud look that Floyd showed when he saw Ingrid. That made me feel both amused and good.

"Well, I think with magic, I could consider letting you go out alone from now on, but not too far. It's okay for you to be with your friends at the stream, but there are dangerous animals in the forest. It's not very common for them to come near the village, but it can happen," my mom said, very concerned.

"Yes, Mom, I'll be careful," I said. At the end of the day, I went to bed. This day was perfect; not only did I learn magic, but I also made friends. I think they're true friends, something I always wished for in my previous life. Maybe this new life isn't so bad after all...

 

0