Chapter 1: Southern Pool Falls
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vomit splattered on the concrete right by the blocked entrance of an apartment building, falling from above.

Another young woman was high up on the roof leaned over the parapet wall, shaking hands holding onto the strong material.

She took a gasping breath as she wiped her mouth, closing her amber brown eyes she heaved in a few more huffs of air.

An orange haired woman approached her “Monet?” she called as she gently grabbed her shoulder causing Monet to startle, she quickly guided Monet away from the edge of the roof and back towards a small group of people who all stood in a loose circle seemingly in the middle of a heated conversation.

They were the previous residents of the apartment building below them, the orange haired woman, Charlene, led Monet towards a tall man who seemed to be leading, or trying, to lead the discussion as an older man did his best to shout over him, a woman holding a small boy coward behind him.

“It was listening to you that got us locked up here!” shouted the older man, pointing his finger towards the other.

Charlene and Monet arrived by his side just in time for him to remark back, trying to get the annoyance out of his voice “If it wasn't for me dragging you up here we'd all be dead like those people down there!” he pointed off to the far side of the city where flames could be seen in the afternoon sky.

“Phil...” the woman behind him called only to be ignored, waving her hand in annoyance she shook her head and stepped away. Towards the last two on the roof, her other son and an older boy from the building.

“I'm not going to let you get my family killed.” Phil snapped, eyes narrowing at him.

After Charlene sat Monet on the duct system she trotted back over to him “None of this is Creeds' fault, we were just trying to help you.” she interjected gently pulling Creed to come with her.

“Yeah,” said the last man in the group, he looked to be in his late twenties with dark skin and a short crew cut “We're all lucky we made it out of there.” he said gesturing towards the shut roof access door “Let's just calm down and think up a plan to get us all out of here.” he tried to calm Phil's temper but he instead snapped his attention on him instead.

“Who made you the boss? Either of you!” Phil shouted gesturing vaguely at him. Ember, a women with clear Draconic ancestry shown in her spiked horns and scale speckled cheeks stepped forward and slapped Phil's hand away with a sneer.

“Keep your hands to yourself, asshole.” she growled out, arms crossed over her torn red crop top. She glanced back “Don't waste your breath Jake,” she now spoke with a natural curtness to her tone but she had a warm look on her face, brow cocked almost smugly she said “C'mon, let's go be productive.” before she turned, not once looking back at Phil, and walked over to check the north side of the building.

Jake watched her walk away and shook his head, looking back to the group “Look, let's just work together alright?” he ended with a “Damn...” before trailing after Ember.

“He's right we need to work together, okay Phil? Please?” Charlene asked, softening her voice after watching the wind fall from Phil's sails.

“We are getting to the evacuation point. No matter what.” Phil said after taking a deep breath, he turned to look to his wife. Debra just arrived at the large electrical box that went black with the rest of the city, she adjusted her young son in her arms, he looked to be about six with short dark brown hair styled almost like a bowl cut but messier.

Debra stepped towards the two boys, her son Steve was thirteen and she knew the older boy beside him, his name was Zeke, a highschooler who'd sometimes kick the ball back and forth when Steve was outside.

The two where knelt down looking at something in Zeke's hands, she glanced down over their shoulders and saw a small game system playing a racing game that the two were whispering about.

Steve looked up and smiled weakly, his face wet showing he'd obviously been crying as he averted his red eyes away from her “Hi mom.” he murmured and looking back at the hand held console “Zeke's just showing me this...” his voice came hollowly.

“Mrs. Day.” the teen greeted with a nod.

She nodded back before looking over them “Well that looks fun.” she said with a sniffle, kneeling down to get Bill, her younger son, close to look at the game as well. He crowded between them and grabbed at the system causing Steve to grumble and scoff.

For a split second Zeke looked annoyed but quickly gave the console to him, almost immediately he crashed the digital car but Zeke just winced and smiled.

Debra left Bill to play under Steve's eye and returned to the group auguring with her husband.

The remaining four were Creed with Charlene as his side, Monet remained sat dejectedly on the ducts behind them while Phil went on about the safety of his family.

She tried to smile but she was too tired to make it look half convincing as Debra crossed her arms from the smokey wind “What now?” she asked looking between them.

Charlene shrugged, shaking her head “Ember and Jake are looking for a safe way down.” she replied as Creed ran a hand over his short curled hair.

“We should have evacuated days ago when they first announced it!” Phil snapped “This is all your fucking mothers fault!” he added and quickly the small smile on her face snapped to anger.

“Don't you take this out on me!” she screamed before gasping, pulling her bent fingers to her lips. Face scrunching as if she was about to cry.

She then exhaled, desperately trying to steel herself as her husband recoiled like a whipped puppy “We need to focus on getting our kids, getting us, all of us, out of here. Working together is the only way that's going to happen.” she turned to face the other three as Phil retreated behind her, screwing his mouth shut.

Charlene gave an awkward look to Creed as she leaned into him, then looked back at Debra “We'll find a way down then try to get to the evacuation point, we'll stick to alleyways or try to go through buildings,” with a shy glance to Monet Charlene lowly added “The streets don't seem like the best option.” she ended as Creed wrapped an arm around her far shoulder.

Phil was shaking his head but Debra nodded in agreement “If it's all we can do.”

“We'll need weapons,” Creed said “We saw that those things can die, we need to arm ourselves and go.” he looked around at their surroundings, he saw Steve pull away and run to the left side of the building and off on the right was Ember, looking down a few feet, a step down where he assumed Jake was.

He looked back towards the group before settling on Monet.

His brow pinched together watching her worry her lip with her teeth, absentmindedly chewing the soft skin. Creed frowned.

“Hey!” Steve suddenly shouted, his high voice cracking as he waved his hand wildly.

Phil and Debra's heads snapped towards him the moment they heard his voice, his back was to the group as Bill and Zeke ran up towards him.

“Holy shit!” Zeke shouted as he got to Steve's side.

Everyone but the absent Ember and Jake ran over to the three boys and followed to where Steve was pointing “Look!” he exclaimed, gesturing and pointing over and over drawing their attention to the apartment complex across the street.

The building didn't look nearly as nice as the one they were in, older with run down AC units clearly leaking fluids and bricks that haven't been washed or repaired since the building was put up. They could make out a few windows, stationed at the end of an alleyway with two buildings at either side, a line of broken and blood stained glass led them up, there was a fire escape at every level and on the fourth out of seven floors floor they saw movement.

Zeke gripped at his hair before waving frantically, voicing breaking with panic “It, It's Ewell and Priscilla!” he screamed, turning to look at the adults “My classmates! That's Ewell's house!” he added nearly in the same breath “They're my friends we have to help them!” he kept on, snapping his gaze back towards the adults of the group “Please! We have to help them!” he threw his arms towards the building but kept his pleading gaze on them.

Phil stammered, shaking his head no. Debra was clearly at a lost looking awkwardly between the group.

Charlene quickly shuffled forward and leaned against the parapet, hand above her eyes to try and make out the figures across the streets, she could barely make out what looked like two people, both spindly and waving frantically.

Charlene glanced back nodding her head “I can see them!” she exclaimed, turning back again to see Creed quickly joining her.

Charlene nodded, steeling herself in an attempt to stop her shaking knees. She gestured behind her towards the alleyway “We have to help them.” she declared, punching her fist in the air trying to look confident.

“So you volunteer?” Phil asked.

Charlene startled, she was taken aback but before she could speak or move Creed stepped forward “I do,” he said quickly “I'm sure Jake'll help to. We'll run over real quick and bring them back.”

“How do you plan on doing that?” Phil asked before shaking his head “Look I don't want those kids to die but I'm not risking myself or-” “My family, we get it.” Ember suddenly interrupted as she and Jake returned.

“What has everyone in a fuss?” Jake asked but no one seemed to notice, or at least no one answered him.

Zeke barged forward pushing past Charlene and Creed “They're my friends, I'm going no matter what.”
before he turned to address Ember, who crossed her arms at the attention and rose a brow at his stern expression “Did you find a way down? To the street?” he then pointed, snapping his arm up to draw her sight right towards that window “Can I get there?” he asked seriously.

Ember gained a faint smirk but it wasn't malicious, a bit proud if anything, she nodded vaguely with a roll of her shoulders almost exaggerating her moves “There's another door on that other building, you have to jump down about five feet or so, but it's nothing too bad. It should lead down into those other apartments there.” she stated.

“Then I'm going.” Zeke went to move but a smaller hand grabbed his sleeve, Steve was suddenly beside him with a nervous grin.

“I'm going too!” he insisted, which immediately caused both his parents to shout protests. Phil and Debra quickly ran to grab hold of him shouting back and forth about keeping him safe and how it isn't a kid's job, all while Jake was asking what was going on. Shifting between people in confusion.

Jake shook his head, brow pinched together until Ember spoke up and drew their attentions, cutting through the cacophonous arguments with a commanding tone.

“Go where? What in the hells are you talking about?” she scoffed dropping her hands “We're going to the evac point right? All of us?” she asked, settling next to Jake, opposite of Debra. Clearly Ember looked at Phil at the tail end of her sentence.

“Not yet,” Zeke said trying to push past the group but with the entire Day family fussing around him he struggled to get by “Not until I save Ewell and Priscilla!” he went to step forward but Steve snatched his arm again.

Steve, being held around his midsection by his crouching mother shouted “Wait!” and dug in his heels to keep Zeke in place.

“Let me go!” Zeke tried to yank his arm free but instead Phil grabbed him by the bicep “Hey!” Zeke snapped, stumbling as he tried to spin and face him.

“Let's calm down!” Creed said quickly storming up to the group and pushing himself between Zeke and the Day's, he looked between them before deciding to settle on Zeke as Phil turned to console his two sobbing children.

Creed sighed and waved the boy over, gaining his reluctant attention Zeke faced him. “We're going to help them, okay? But you're not going alone. Calm down and we'll come up with a plan to get in and out safely. Alright ?” he ended with a question, Zeke crossed his arms and rolled his shoulders “Okay?” Creed repeated making a nodding motion until Zeke finally nodded back in agreement.

Creed smiled at him “You're friends right? You've been over there before? Do you know the buildings layout?” he asked gesturing back to the building across the way.

Zeke vaguely shrugged, avoiding Creed's gaze he looked around in a wide and exaggerated motion “Not, really.” he said through his teeth “Ewell's uncle is a psycho, I've only ever been in his room, we usually climb up the fire escape.” he replied casually, stuffing his hands in his pockets but his gaze kept trailing towards that alleyway. To his friends.

Zeke's heart was heavy with worry and he tried everything he could to keep it off his face.

“Even better, we go up the fire escape, get the kids and come back here to plot our route.” Creed said as he turned to look back at the group, they were all somewhat close with Debra holding Bill as Steve glued himself to Zeke's side once again, his father standing opposite to him.

Charlene was with Creed while the other couple, Ember and Jake, were watching the conversation with varying levels of interest.

Debra stepped closer but Monet, Monet remained far back by the door, sat on the air ducts just as Charlene left her. Crumpled and shaking.

“We can't go back in there, not with those things around.” Debra exclaimed as Bill held her tighter, she lifted him up to her chest and he wrapped his arms around her neck, burying his face there and muttering a whine.

Phil waved his arm towards the edge of the roof trying to point to the streets below, even some blurry movement could be seen at the end of the alleyway. “Are you even listening? The streets are a blood bath!” he shouted which made Bill flinch and bury further into Debra's hair.

“There's no way we'd even make it across the street let alone down that alley.” Debra added. Rubbing into Bill's back trying to calm him.

“Anyone have their car keys?” Ember asked, tilting her head with the sudden idea.

Everybody paused, suddenly they began patting their pockets and checking their clothes. Debra shook her head no, having never taken her hands off Bill, Phil let out a quiet curse.

“We're wasting time!” Zeke exclaimed but went ignored. He moved to glaring when he realized no one was listening.

Charlene ripped her jacket off and patted around its pockets “I do!” she fumbled, nearly dropping the set but she quickly caught it then rose it triumphantly, as if it was a trophy. The few brass keys and a colorful plush charm in the shape of a wrapped candy piece wiggled in her hold.

Creed pulled her into his side and smiled “There!” he shouted happily. He pressed a kiss into the side of her head, ruffling her curly hair “My babies got a hatchback, bet we can drive it and block off the alley, give us a window to get those two.” Creed spoke with a confidence that seemed to spread to the others, Ember nodded along waving her short black hair as she did so.

Phil shook his head “We're supposed to just do what you say?” he asked.

“You can-” Creed was suddenly cut off, a scream broke over their talk as Monet shrieked. She leapt from her seat and tumbled back tripping over the piping and falling onto her backside.

“Monet!” Charlene screeched before she dashed forward towards her, getting just a few steps away she heard Monet scream again in a panic.

Monet shuffled to her feet and ran to Charlene meeting her half way, she gripped Monet tight and pulled her to the side protectively as she her attention followed Monet's frantic pointing, dumbstruck, her shaking finger drew attention towards the roof access. She watched the door, it bounced from pressure, something slamming against it, the sounds of choked growls beat against the chipped varnish alongside vine coiled limbs.

Charlene gasped as splintering stems probed out from under the door and through the few cracks they made, twisting and curling like searching tentacles seeking prey.

Charlene dragged Monet with her, yanking her back towards the group and she followed like a despondent child led by the wrist “We gotta go!” she shouted and Creed was by her side in a moment, Ember was quick to push ahead of the group back towards the far edge of the building.

She waved at them, calling for them all to follow but Phil stood frozen, Steve ran along Zeke as the two ran towards Ember, following a few short steps behind Jake who was waving the rest of the Day family over.

Debra was screaming Phil's name, standing beside him twitching to run as she cupped the back of Bill's head, who continued to wail in her arms frightened at the growing sound of infectious root filled corpses slamming their mossy flesh against the waning door, it threatened to break against their desperate bulldozing.

Finally as she grabbed his arm and pulled he snapped back into himself, he wrapped his arm around his wife's shoulder and ran as fast as his feet could take him, following after Jake who remained on the ledge, Phil and Debra could see the other members of their rag tag group jumping down off the edge, he waited, smiling worriedly as the three arrived at his front.

Steve hopped down as soon as he saw his parents begin lowering Bill, he leapt down only to be caught by Zeke who saved him the few feet fall, Steve beamed at him but Zeke didn't notice, his eyes locked up watching as Phil helped Debra down next, Jake and Phil followed after and they all began to run.

A few yards a head was Ember slamming her thick steel toes boot against the neighboring complex's roof access door, it was a weak door painted to look like stronger material, much like the crummy buildings that surrounded it, all run down and worse for ware with damage that and been there long before flowers began puppeting people.

A few more heavy kicks and the door burst open, Ember wielded a piece of piping she broke off, the jagged edge pointed outward ready to stab anything on the other side of that door, and thank the livings Gods she did as a webbing of intertwined stems and vines lurched forward. She sliced through it with ease and bore the pipe down piercing the once human's skull.

The body hit the floor with a sickening thud, Ember stepped over the dead and inched her way inside, she didn't see another and when she peeked down over the railing she saw nothing. No movement, no corpses and no living either, just empty stair wells and open doors.

Bill's sobbing cut her hearing, she couldn't hear anything inside over his crying as Debra rushed him inside behind her, everyone else quickly piled in and Jake slammed the door shut behind them, pressing his solid form against it to keep it shut and still. Then his eyes snapped to Ember.

The pipe in her hand was slick with gore as she waved it to gesture for them to follow. Debra kept desperately shushing Bill as his cries faded to whimpers, Ember led with Jake at her side while Creed and Charlene took up the rear, everyone else in between.

Steve pushed forward, past Phil to be behind Ember and beside Zeke, he snuck closer to him with a worried yet curious expression, looking up to see Zeke's face he saw determination but his bushy black eye brows were pinched together.

Effortlessly Ember slid the pipe to Jake and he moved forward to take point, they turned down the first flight, pausing on the first landing to listen in, there were six floors, seven flights with the top leading to the roof. Now they were on the sixth floor, a black sign showed the number beside an open door, deep down the hall were open apartments and noiseless ambiance.

Ember rose a finger to her lips and everyone kept silent, Jake nodded at her and kept watch at the top of the stairs, staring down the flights below them looking for anything, any movement, Ember glanced to Charlene, the two briefly knowing each other from passing glances and pleasant greetings in the lobby Ember felt better having her at her side than Debra, or worse Phil. Creed followed Charlene leaving Monet to cower, holding the railing as she stared up towards the Jerry-rigged roof door.

Ember went first, searching for weapons hopeful to arm themselves for an upcoming fight she knew was inevitable. Looking left to right she saw the insides of people's homes, most were torn apart with things strewn about, she noticed a lack of pictures in many despite there being clear marks where frames were hung.

“No, we should've evacuated with everyone else.” Charlene whined lowly, her voice carried in the silence and the three froze with they heard jostling down the hall in the next apartment, they moved quickly, pushing themselves in the next room searching for anything to grab.

Creed ran to the kitchen and began tearing through the drawers as quietly as he could, frantic and roaming, Ember went to the living room not wanting to be too close to Creed as he searched, there was a distinct tension, their hearts pounded as if in sync, the collective worry shared between them as the fear of becoming one of those things settled in and felt all too real.

It was one thing reading or hearing about it on the news but to see it, close and real, right at your front door shook them to their core. Their complex was overrun in less than an hour, neighbors tearing each apart and families turning on one another.

Charlene couldn't get the image of her elderly neighbor, Mrs. Chutney, drenched in her daughters blood shoveling guts into her mouth, she couldn't forget the strange choking growl she made as sharp petaled flowers sliced through the skin of her lips and stretched out to her like grasping fingers.

Charlene blinked back into herself as she continued her search, Ember stood up gripping a fire poker in her hand carrying a few of the other tools, ash shovel and all. The brass rods were cool in her hand and she focused on that rather than the heat of panic rushing to her red scaled cheeks.

Creed yanked out the largest knives he could find before pulling out a decently weighted cooking pan, Charlene has searched the bed rooms, what looked like a younger child's room and grabbed the few sports trinkets she could find, they were smaller, not adult sized but she found a thick wooden baseball bat and a few low quality golf clubs, brightly colored with the mascots from a mini golf kit on the club heads.

She stared at it. Lost. This was a children's toy and she planned to use it for murder.

Charlene's lip trembled. Forcing in a shaking breath she turned and quickly met the other two in the living room.

They gave each other hard looks, trying to steel one another, a noiseless gesture that confirms “we're in this together” Charlene nodded and Creed led the way.

Once they exited the apartment they gave a glance back to the rest of the group, relief flooding them when they were still there, huddled close and looking alert. Monet locked eyes with Charlene briefly before she snapped back to the door, squeaking in fear they would break it down the second she looked away, thankfully it was still quiet. If they had broken out and took the roof they hadn't gotten near this door yet, at least not close enough for her to hear them.

Charlene jerked her head to the side, back towards the group signaling to leave, rejoin the others with a pleading look but Ember sternly shook her head no.

Creed leaned into Charlene and whispered into her ear “We don't want it to sneak up on us.” and she reluctantly followed.

They crouched down, keeping low and as quiet as they could be, moving forward down the hall they followed the strange noise, a shuffle, quiet. They could barley hear it, a strange chitter.

Creed put out his hand and inched forward alone, taking in a big breath and he held it, leaning forward to peek inside the apartment.

Creed's eyes went wide, trying not to gag he saw a body lying on the floor, legs sticking out from a door way with a trail of smear blood trailing behind it.

Creed gripped the kitchen knife in one hand and held the cooking pan in the other like a shield, he would like to say he was calm and ready but his hands shook and his heart beat so loud it was all he could hear, that and the minute shuffling now so quiet he could barely hear, squeaking off at the end of his hearing.

He moved forward, trying not to even breathe as he approached the unmoving legs, foot cocked out to the side with discoloration on the boot, Creed tried not to focus on the body, instead moving into the room and looking at the doorway, there was a poster, a big toy truck was painted on it with a smiling face but blood splattered the colors which only further upset Creed's stomach.

He checked the corner by the door first but didn't see anything that caught his eye, no creature, nothing obviously moving. Squinting his eyes and raising the pan in front of him Creed looked around in more detail, the room was small, peeled wallpaper and stained carpets that all these buildings shared were covered in toys, blankets, and pillows, most blue and orange but there were yellow accents on the white wood furniture. Then he finally saw it, sat on the wardrobe was a multi tired hamster cage. The colorful bubbled plastic was crammed with nesting roots, there used to be three hamsters inside from what Creed could tell, the bodies of the pets having fused together into a strange trunk, the plants sprouting from them with roots creeping from tiny bite holes and any unblocked orifice.

Then he noticed a fourth, still moving the clearly infected creature had an almost paste like substance pouring from its mouth as it ran, the squeaking of the hamster wheel was shrill and it trilled louder when the mindlessly running critter finally noticed Creed it leapt feverishly from its wheel and scrambled forward, tripping over foliage that grew from the bedding it threw itself against the cage bars and snarled.

Pressing its face into the bars it desperately tried to reach him.

Creed looked at the creature with a mix of disgust and pity. He slipped the blade of his knife between the bars and put the poor thing down in one quick motion.

He shivered. Wiping the blade clean on the bed spread he turned and left feeling heavier than he did before he came in.

Charlene visibly slumped in relief when she saw Creed return, he shook his head no and smiled as he approached.

Ember gave him a questioning look and he replied with “Was nothing.” before leading the two forward and back towards the group.

Monet perked up again when she noticed Charlene approach. She smiled at the three of them the moment they returned.

Charlene only had three golf clubs, giving the purple one to Monet, a red to Phil, and the final green one to Zeke.

Steve's face scrunched “What about me?” he asked as Ember gave the ash shovel to Debra.

“You don't need one.” Phil spoke as if that was final and it shut Steve up, though he didn't seem happy as he pursed his lips and looked away. He went to pull forward towards Zeke but Phil yanked him back.

After an annoyed shush from Jake they began moving down, slowly stepping down the flights where they could. If they found the floors door open they silently shut it, though only floor five out of three were open, the rest locked when the people fled. Ember was back at his side just a step behind him as they traversed floor after floor.

They arrived at the lobby access door, a window at head height let them peek inside and they saw a few infected, they were meandering, moving with little care to the things they bumped into or knocked over.

Creed eyed their moves, watched them, he held up three fingers to the rest of the group as Ember went to check the back door, she saw the parking lot the complex shared. She waved Charlene over and she quickly arrived at her side and looked out.

“You have a silver car right?” Ember asked glancing to her once then back out into the parking lot.

“Yea,” she nodded pushing closer to look outside, she pressed herself against Ember shoulder to shoulder and the two searched. Charlene exclaimed, slapping excitedly at the wall “There!” she pointed, the parking lot had few cars but the front row was nearly full, a silver hatchback was parked almost on the opposite side of the parking lot, where the lot access was for their building, hers

was three cars away from the door. She dug the keys from her pocket and rose them, clicking the button the two watched the hatchback lights flicker with a chirp in response. “Yes! Battery isn't dead.” she cheered under her breath.

“If we can get to my car I can drive us to the alley and right back here.” Charlene said happily, turning back to the group with a look of excitement.

“So, we just wait then?” Debra asked, looking back and forth between the two doors “You'll come back for us, won't you?” she said adjusting Bill again, head down and looking around worriedly.

Charlene nodded “Of course, Creed, make the run with me?” she said first looking at Debra then turning to Creed, smiling nervously.

“Always.” he replied stepped over to her. Before he pushed all the way to her past the rest of the group Ember piped up “I'll go too.” keeping close to Charlene.

“No! I'm going.” Zeke exclaimed pushing towards the door, he was bout to try and open it but Charlene and Ember quickly snatched him back and stood in front of it “Fuck!” he screamed causing Debra's face to drop “Let me go save my friends!” he shouted shaking his golf club in frustration, he didn't swing it at them but ended up pointing it at them, before he could speak Jake snapped “Shush!” waving his hand to try to shut the teen up.

Jake ducked his head down quickly “They're getting interested, keep quiet.” he scolded frowning at Zeke “You can go with them just not alone.” he added waving his hand again before peeking up to gauge the interest of the infected on the other side, he glared at them but they seemed to have lost whatever focus they drew as the undead shuffled around aimlessly once again.

Steve nearly stepped forward, hesitating at his mother's side but he kept his place and didn't move.

Ember shook her head and grunted “You better hold your own kid.” she warned, shooting him a hard stare.

“Get me to my friends.” Zeke said seriously. Moving the golf club, adjusting it to hold it ready to fight.

“One sec,” Ember said before she surged over to Jake, tapping his shoulder so he turned and the moment he did she leaned in, he blinked in surprise as she kissed him quick and hard, pulling away leaving him wanting more “Stay safe for me.” she added before turning to the door, Jake smiled at her before turning back to keep watch.

Charlene looked over at Monet and Debra, trying to bring confidence to the group she spoke as honestly as she could “We'll be back. Promise.” she assured.

Charlene gave a ready look to Ember, nodding in agreement they prepared to run, peeking outside again she looked around, the two scanned the parking lot one more time and aside fleeting figures and the distant tire screech they didn't see much, no obvious infected roamed the area.

“Stay close.” Ember directed as she reached to the door handle.

She opened it slowly, inching out and looking every which way she could. Startled by a noise she snapped her attention to the cross street at the lot entrance and saw a few infected chase after a motorcycle, she flinched back inside and waited for them to pass before checking again, the cool air rolled over them and they kept quiet, sticking close with the wall on their right nearly touching their shoulders with how they close they were.

They hugged the wall close, moving slow and carefully down the parking lot, the brick wall tall at their side and the cracked parking blocks on their other kept them in the straight line, Ember kept an eye out, scanning their surroundings from the middle while Charlene led. Creed kept their rear with Zeke between him and Ember, moving skillfully but they didn't exactly have each other's rhythm yet. Zeke kept pausing to look towards every noise which caused Creed to bump into him more than once, Ember nor Charlene seemed to share the problem.

The sounds around them were few and far between but Zeke still jumped at every distant scream. After another he froze up, then Creed reached forward and grabbed his shoulder gently, Zeke flinched back but Creed's hold was strong and the two met eyes, Creed gave him a warm smile and mouthed “You're okay.” before nodding for him to look back forward.

Zeke still wore the pout of an embarrassed teen who refused to admit he was upset but he returned a half smile and turned to look ahead.

It took barely three minutes to finish the creeping trot over to that silver hatch but to them it felt like an eternity.

Charlene's eyes lit up at the sight of her car and she let out a faint coo, she ran her hand over the front head light and sighed “C'mon girl.” she whispered as she pulled the key fob from her pocket and clicked it again, chirp, the car responded with a pleasant chime as the lights flickered on again.

She ran her hand along the hood as she ran to the drivers door, yanking it open she waved at the rest of them to follow and the group pooled inside. Creed took the passengers seat and slammed the door shut the second his butt hit the seat, Ember and Zeke settled in the middle of the car as Charlene fumbled with the keys.

Zeke looked around as they all prepared, mouth moving as he counted until he scrunched his brow together “Hey, there's only five seats.” he stated before the engine roared.

His gaze snapped to Ember looking for a reply but she didn't share the same worry he did, at least not by the relieved expression on her face as she locked her seat belt in place and waved at him to do the same.

Zeke bit into his lip but followed her command and clipped his belt in place. He looked up to their driver, Charlene had a crazed smile on her face as she backed the car up, wheels spinning underneath it she moved fast, pulling out of her favorite spot much faster than she normally would. The vehicle screeched as she swiveled it around and swerved the car towards the lot gate, which at this point in the day was still open and unlocked.

“Baby ease up.” Creed cautioned as she took an extra sharp turn on their exit, pulling hard to the left. He could see her plan, she wanted to speed over the main road and skip right to the alleyway.

The second she saw the street her hands gripped the wheel tighter, there was a car turned over on their right. Tipped on its side and burning. She adverted her gaze, turning to the left she got ready to book it to the alley way.

She took a deep breath, taking in their surroundings, plotting a safe course through the desolate streets, it almost looked like a normal albeit quiet day, parked cars in reality abandoned, the distant sounds of the quiet city made it appear as though everyone was just ghosted away. The blood said different.

Looking closer there were parts of people, scraps of gore plastered the black asphalt but she didn't see anything move. She slowed, eyes wide, unable to tear her focus away from the scene, observing the destruction around her. The car moved at a snail's pace.

Creed gave a comforting squeeze to her thigh and she snapped back into herself, blinking a few times she locked her eyes back onto the road and kept forward, driving around the few obstacles when needed.

They watched the sidewalks and passing alleys but they didn't see much, a few twitching bodies at the edges of their sight lines but nothing noticed them, or at least that they could tell.

This was going well, Charlene grew hopeful, she peeked up at the rear view mirror to briefly look at Zeke “Which alley was it?” she asked and Zeke quickly pushed forward to look more closely at the buildings around them.

“There!” he pointed forward, at the second upcoming alleyway “It's that one! There! I always see that bistro sign when we sneak in.” he added gripping the back of Creed's headrest in excitement.

Just up ahead was a series of first story businesses with apartments above, the bistro in mention was a local restaurant known for their soups and shoddy customer service.

Zeke's excitement seemed to rise as words poured from his mouth “We'd go there sometimes 'cus the foods cheap, the owners kind of a dick but the cashier always gives us extra chips.” he said happily but as they got closer his smile fell, the front of the cafe was busted into, glass shattered and door half way off its hinges.

He leaned away, sitting back down as Charlene got the car into position.

“The alley is tight, who's going who's staying?” Ember asked squinting to try and focus on the small amount she could see.

“I already said I'm going!” Zeke demanded, he then looked around at the others briefly “Creed should go with me, we're already on this side anyway.” he added, his door would face the alley when they arrived which would be in less than a minute.

Charlene looked over at Creed worriedly but he gave her quick smirk, oozing confidence “I'll look after the kids.” he promised before tilting his head back towards the building.

“Okay.” she smiled back. Not nearly as confident.

Creed leaned back to look Zeke directly in the eye, Zeke startled briefly but tried to keep his gaze “Keep close and listen to me,” he said “I need you to promise me, I'm serious, okay?” he finished calmly but with a stern tone.

Zeke nodded meekly.

Creed gripped his weapon, dragging the pan with him he pushed the door open and Zeke did the same,

they moved together slowly and Zeke looked up, his eyes locked onto the building, on that window, he couldn't see the two anymore he couldn't tell if the blinds were drawn or the waning sunlight made it impossible to see through and his gut twisted. Zeke took one look at Creed then back up at the fire escape ladder, he stuck close to his side but then trotted two steps ahead, he began to look panicked almost, he sped up and Creed quickly matched it. They ran down the alley way forgoing their previous stealth Creed just kept up with Zeke as he sprinted forward.

“Hey!” Creed said in a shouting sort of whisper trying to draw Zeke back but he was too far gone, now running fully ahead. Creed groaned before he dashed after him as fast as he could.

He was only a few steps behind Zeke as he leapt up and grabbed the bottom of the ladder dragging it down and unlocking it.

Back in the car Charlene was watching them, nearly biting her nails in anticipation as Ember kept watch outside, the hatchback blocked the alleys mouth completely but the other side, the drivers side, her side, was facing the street so Ember kept close watch. She peered across the street at the apartment building she used to call home, entrance ransacked and broken in she looked at the front door she'd known for years colored crimson and couldn't bare it. She looked up instead, her frown worsened when she saw more of those things, those infected. Bodies bloated with plant matter and hunger they stumbled about the roof in the distance.

She swallowed, glancing to Charlene but she was too focused on Creed running up to Zeke to notice what Ember did, those were their neighbors, Zeke's parents, the kind old lady she'd humor in the halls, even the prick below her unit that would blast music all morning. Her heart sunk as the reality of the situation began to dawn on her.

Charlene never took her eyes off the alley.

With a triumphant jump Zeke let out a small cheer, he adjusted the golf club and bit down on the weapon he was given, leaping up he immediately began to climb, Creed cursed, actually looking back and forth down the two sides for any trouble, the left was gated off by a chain fence while the other was open to more intersecting alleys. Creed looked away when he saw the slain survivors that laid across the alley floor and instead focused on Zeke, who just got to the top of the ladder.

“Wait!” Creed demanded and Zeke froze in place.

He looked down at him as Creed began to climb, Zeke looked up tapping his foot impatiently, he was staring above them, to the higher stories. He chewed on his lip, looking down then back up “Guys!” Zeke shouted staring upwards “Why can't I hear them?” he whined. Before Zeke could look back down Creed was at his side, he startled, and Creed pushed past him.

This time Creed climbed first, he looked into the window and saw a room clearly packed in a rush but empty, no living nor undead, he quickly moved to the next story and saw a near identical scene except this was a child's bedroom.

Zeke went to push past him but Creed grabbed his shoulder and yanked him back, Zeke yelped and snapped to look at him “Let me go!” he fought at him, trying to pull away “You're too slow, I'm going!” but his protest was met with a hard stare.

“Let me go first.” Creed demanded and pushed him away, Zeke hit the back guard rail and grumbled. Watching Creed ascend.

He was on the third story now, one more, he needed to get up one more and he could find those two. He felt a surge of confidence as he made it to the top of the ladder but it all suddenly drained from him when he saw the next window. It was cracked, a broken hole in the bottom corner but he could still see through the stains. An adults bedroom looked to be the sight of a murder but Creed knew it must have been an attack, he saw three people ripped apart on the floor, a thin veil of spore powder covered them and Creed could make out flowers, red as the blood they sprouted from.

Creed took a deep breath. He looked down just as Zeke began to climb “Stay put.” he said faster than he meant and Zeke sensed the brief panic in his voice. A shutter in his tone.

Zeke opened his mouth to protest but Creed cut him off “Please.” and Zeke hesitated. They locked eyes and he saw a glimmer of sadness in Creed's dark brown eyes. He stopped.

Creed managed to crack a halfhearted smile as he spoke “Watch our escape.” before he turned to the next ladder.

Creed gripped the cool metal and prayed there wasn't a similar scene ahead.

Zeke was staring up, watching the soles of Creed's boots, his heart pounded in his chest and he felt it rising in his throat.

The words “Please be okay.” repeated ad nauseam in his head until it became a jumbled mess of nonsense sounds in his mind.

Creed held his breath as he looked to the window. He saw a simple room, very few things were in the almost immaculately clean bedroom, but what drew Creed's eye were the two holes in the wall, cracks twisted from the broken plaster but you couldn't see all the way through it, the impact breaking only the first layer of the wall.

Creed quickly inched over not immediately seeing anyone inside he glanced to the closed door, then he noticed horns. The tips of stubbed white horns could be seen behind the mattress.

Raising the hand with his cooking pan he tapped his knuckles against the glass.

There was a sudden explosion of sound as rapid pounding suddenly sounded against the bedroom door, he watched the wood bend and buckle and he heard a shrill voice plead “Uncle please I'm sorry!” then those horns had a face.

A thin boy flinched on the opposite side of the room, Creed saw his pale scaled face slick with tears and Creed slammed the pan into the glass shattering it open.

The boy screamed, and there was a second one under his. A girl's scream was muffled by something.

Creed used the pan to knock the glass from the frame as he shouted out “Come here! Out this way!” he called, then he suddenly heard Zeke shout from below him “Priscilla!”.

Creed startled when the closet burst open before him, a short girl ran out from it and directly to the cowering boy.

Creed could barely make out anything from his frantic sobbing but Creed heard the kid begging and apologizing.

The girl met eyes with Creed briefly “Wait!” before she fell to her knees at his front. She gripped his shoulders and pulled “Ewell get up, c'mon!” she said yanking at him, the door behind them slammed, the hinges whined under the pressure of a full grown adult throwing himself into it, Creed grit his teeth as he saw roots twist like tendrils under the door and through the cracks.

“Ewell please get up!” she yelled with another yank.

Ewell yelped, staggering up to his feet he stared at the door in fear. His long ears bright red with panic Priscilla pulled him around the bed then shoved him forward.

“Hurry!” Creed shouted tapping his palm against the windowsill again and again to encourage them but his eyes were locked on the waning bedroom door.

“Who are you?” Ewell's voice squeaked from his tight throat as he stared bugged eyed at Creed but before he got a reply Priscilla was behind him again pushing him out of the window, he froze up immediately when Creed grabbed his biceps and pulled him out of the room.

Ewell pressed himself against the railing and stared at Creed.

Creed reached his hand out to Priscilla and the moment their skin met the door behind her shattered, what looked like an older man busted through, his paled face was drained of life with a strange green tint overtaking the skin around his hollowed eyes. Priscilla looked back in fear as Creed's fingers wrapped around her wrist, the infected stopped, it turned to them with eyes that almost looked knowing, alert. Its gaze narrowed on the living in front of it, its head cocked, arms twitching and stuck out awkwardly before he snapped back, bending his spine backwards and screeching an inhuman sound, his mouth opened unnaturally wide as his skin stretched around his chapped lips, leaves poured from his constricted throat and the sound garbled from its body. If Creed knew better he'd think it was a call.

“Move!” Creed shouted as he yanked Priscilla, her wide body slipped through the window frame and into Creed's arm just in time for the scream to end and the infected man charged them.

Creed's eyes went wide before he was thrown back, he managed to shove Priscilla to the side before the man lunged from the room and threw his twisted body against the window forcing himself out of it with little care for the damage it did to his own body.

He was dizzied as his head hit the ladder behind him, his hands reactively fought against the form attempting to pin him down, Creed shouted, desperately trying to knock him away, to fight him off, he kept moving the pan blocking the root filled jaws as he bit at him.

“Creed!” Zeke exclaimed, panicked, he was staring up still before he quickly leapt for the ladder.

Priscilla heard Zeke and her body moved before she even had time to think, rushing forward to slam her shoulder into the infected's side she launched it off of Creed and accidentally towards Ewell, who froze at the sight of his reanimated uncle, he stared in horror as he lunged for him, blackened greened eyes were wild and blood thirsty and Ewell couldn't help but stare.

All he could do was flinch, pull into himself as what used to be his blood charged at him, snapping teeth ready to tear into his flesh but as Ewell's eyes snapped shut in anticipation for pain he never felt, instead Creed jumped forward and drove his stolen kitchen knife into his head, the grasping stems stilled the moment metal pierced precious brain and the creature fell, knees crumbling it fell to the ground with a sickening thud.

Ewell was shaking, eyes open wide as he stared at the twice slayed corpse of his uncle.

Creed hardly had a moment to move, to think, to even process the events of what happened before his hearing was overtaken entirely by a cacophony of screaming, as if everyone in the city all cried out at once and Creed gripped his ears in pain. He yelled out “Run!” but he couldn't tell if the teens heard him, they held their ears before Priscilla moved first, she pushed Creed's shoulder saying something he didn't hear and the three of them were moving.

Through the almost human like calls was another, a deep, rattling cry that split above the rest. It wasn't human, they could tell, a tone deeper yet shrill, an awful sound that exploded out from the city center, a yowl that sounded animistic.

Creed's ringing senses began to calm and he moved quickly, he ushered Priscilla down the ladder where she met Zeke, who just arrived, eyes locked on her he ran forward and threw himself into her open arms and hugged her tight.

He quickly pointed her to the other ladder as Ewell was practically forced down next, his legs shaking so hard he almost fell the few short feet but he stumbled down into Zeke's gentle grasp, Ewell stiffened, a choked noise coming from his throat but when he felt the warmth against his back and heard Zeke's voice in his ear he calmed down just a bit. Zeke smiled at the back of his near white hair “Follow Priscilla.” he instructed and Ewell sheepishly nodded and trailed after Priscilla the moment Zeke let him go.

Creed scrambled to his feet and pulled himself up by the railing, his eyes opened wide. He watched as the infected on the apartment roof they fled from began to throw themselves off the side of the building, clawing and grasping even after their bodies shattered on the concrete below. His heart beat hard as he heard the incoming horde, rattlings of chain as a group of infected began pulling at the gate at the end of the alley, and on the other side he saw incoming shadows. He muttered a quiet “Fuck...” as a sense of dread overtook any other feeling he managed to have “We gotta move!” Creed yelled down before moving after the teens, he climbed down the ladder as Zeke moved to the floor below him.

Soles of shoes hit metal as they all frantically moved down the fire escape, Priscilla kept asking Zeke questions but he just stammered unable to reply, they moved, as fast but safely as they could. Creed looked over and saw the silhouette of a humanoid figure, one of them had already made it, rushing down the alley with a desperate need its torn face was locked onto Priscilla, who was closest to the ground, moving first.

The growling of growing numbers sounded louder as more infected began piling against the fence.

They moved faster. Beat harder. Screamed louder.

Another voice cut through the growls, Charlene screamed and Ember flinched back in the car as undead threw themselves against the side of the vehicle, Charlene hit the window button just long enough to crack the passenger's side and cry out for Creed.

“Charlene!” he screamed back, eyes locked on the hatchback as reanimated corpses slammed their fists into the car windows, they stared at Ember and Charlene like fresh baked goods behind bakery glass, sludge like drool pouring from snapping mouths.

His mind repeated one word to him “no” as denial spread through his entire being, none of his was happening. None. Charlene was fine, was going to be fine, Creed just had to get to her. He knew it, once they were at each other's side everything would be okay again, he felt a piece of him shatter and he tried to urge the three forward but they stared down to the concrete, a single infected reached up desperately trying to reach up the ladder without understanding how to climb, there was a wound on it's arm, or what was left of it, a bloody splintered stump was raised towards them and Creed saw a sharpened bone, the thick flesh around it was discolored, the blood off colored and muscle tainted, he watched as roots moved from the stump to twirl and wrap themselves around the ladder in an attempt to travel up.

Zeke looked to Creed, fear and confusion in his youthful eyes, he didn't want to ask, Creed knew that, but the boy was looking for answers and Creed knew he had to be the one to step up, he was the adult and he was hellsbent on protecting these teens.

He in a rush moved too quickly and pushed Priscilla out of the way, he looked down the short drop below him and leapt, Creed grunted as his feet slammed down onto the infected's head, dropping onto its skull and shoulders, his weight bore down and crushed it under him, Creed tumbled after, falling to the concrete with a pained yelp but his thick Bidson leather jacket saved him from any unnecessary scrapes. Still he heard the thing behind him, under him, he felt movement by his legs and Creed spun around as fast as he could and brought his knife down, piercing it through its only remaining eye and the creature stopped moving the second he did.

Zeke's sneakers hit the ground beside Creed's hand, which still held the handle of the knife, he was waving the other two down as Ewell and Priscilla followed.

Creed forced himself to his feet, watching as more approached down the open edge of the alley, more growls echoed behind him but from the sound of rattling chain he knew they hadn't broken in yet, no matter how desperate their attempts, ravenous hunger and obsessive need to spread over took them, vicious snarls were all Creed could hear.

“Go!” he screamed at the three gesturing to the hatchback now being swarmed by half broken corpses and infected who poured from the buildings like rats. Tumbling over each other all frenzied to be the first.

Zeke gripped Priscilla's hand and he dragged her forward first, Ewell stuck beside them close, his heart beat so hard he felt sick, they all did, bile built in their throats as the smell and sound of those unfortunate to fall to Bellefeuille's curse assaulted their senses.

Blood, rot, and the sweet scent of flowers.

Priscilla couldn't hold it and when she heard Ewell stifle a sniffle she broke down crying, reaching back to hold Ewell's hand and linking the three together they ran as fast as they could towards Ember and Charlene, who's calls and cries leaked from the hatchback.

Creed took up the rear, hopping in place as an infected bodied crept too close and Creed swiped it with the frying pan, it hit the ground with a cracking echo against the cast iron, the pavement nor the strike did much other than knock it down but that's all he needed as the side door opened and the three teens shoved themselves inside, Zeke hit the floor while Priscilla and Ewell took the seats, Priscilla slamming the door shut as Creed arrived at the passenger's door. Charlene threw it open a few seconds before he arrived and called for him to jump in, with a grin he obeyed, the door shut behind him and Charlene hit the gas pedal.

The tires screeched as she sent the car forward, she gagged, feeling the thump of bodies under her tires she wanted to vomit, tears pouring down her cheeks she tried to focus on the road, only on the road, pretend it was a normal day, she was just heading home, that's all. A bad shift. She tried to convince her self as she was full on heaving, Creed gently rubbed her shoulder but his quiet comforting words were lost on her.

Zeke glanced up when he felt the car moved, he saw Priscilla sobbing and noticed Ewell had completely shut down, staring blankly forward, tears welling in his pale eyes as Priscilla latched onto him and cried, Zeke jumped up, directly behind the passenger's seat with his knees on the car floor, he wrapped both arms around the two and yanked them into a tight hug, Ember watched him, watched his expression twitch as he tried to keep the fear, the panic, the sadness, off his face, he wanted to be strong for them as the two trembled in his hold.

Charlene drove forward with a small army of mutilated people running after the SUV. Most of the inhabitants were crying as the vehicle sped forward and Charlene cut down to the right. Away from the apartments.

Creed was breathing hard, eyes shut so sitting in the relief he was alive, he didn't even notice they were going the wrong way until Ember spoke up.

“Where are we going?” she snapped, eyes locking on the back of Charlene's headrest she felt her pulse quicken.

Charlene sobbed, voice cracking. She took a deep breath before she managed to sputter out “Long way,” she said “Lurin' them away, then back, back to the others.” she struggled to reply, Ember looked back and saw those that managed to keep up tried to follow them, Ember exhaled shakily but decided to put her trust in Charlene, watching the fleeting image of the apartment building fade from her sight.

0