Chapter 4: Morning After
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning dawn began to light the school as the sun rose, and those inside began to stir.

Classrooms empty and the cafeteria quiet. It was a peaceful morning despite the fall of the city happening in real time outside, Debra was asleep with Bill held loosely in her arms, the sky was beautiful behind the rising smoke, pinks and yellows slowly gave way to the light blue of the daytime sky. It was silent, the early hours going without the reliable sound of singing birds left them all uneasy, semi restful sleep trailing into the morning.

A quiet echo of distant clacking drifted closer to the cafeteria, no buzzing electricity and the wide fluorescent tube lightening remained dark, AC had stopped running and no fans made noise, the stillness of the building made the lack ambiance all the more noticeable.

Ewell's head perked up at the noise, horns peeking out from under the thin sheet he tried to follow the noise, locate it.

He sat up and the blanket bunched around his thin legs. Blinking sleepily he yawned and looked around the room searching for the source of the sound. His ears twitched, squinting in his search.

He looked over at Priscilla, she was rolled on her side with her back to him, the thin blanket was strained with how tight she bound it around herself.

On the other side of him was Zeke, he was sprawled out in the bed, blanket hardly covering him as it twisted around his legs, a tiny bit covering his waist.

Ewell's pale eyes searched the building, then he pushed himself up. He felt anxiety begin to rise in his chest, as if a bell was tolling for him with every clack that inched closer.

He swallowed his worries and stepped out of bed, it wouldn't do to wake the other's, he wouldn't want them to be bothered by him, so he moved forward on his own.

Ewell's footsteps were nearly silent as he traversed the room, sneaking between the beds and past Charlene, who was wrapped in Creed's arms.

He kept his hands close to his chest, glancing back at his sleeping companions before he moved forward.

His breath quickened. He pressed against the cafeteria door and slipped out without too much noise.

The hall was wide and mostly clean, a few left behind backpacks were pressed against the dusty lockers while posters still remained intact, few tears from repasting and moving but the words were still bold and clear, warnings and guidelines.

Ewell didn't hear the noise anymore. His long Draconic ears, which stuck nearly two inches from his head, twinged when a different noise came to his senses.

A sniffle, then a sob. Ewell approached with stiff shoulders and inched closer to the bend in the hall. He peered down, heart in his throat.

Armella was leaned against the wall, her arm outstretched and keeping her upright. Her other hand wiped her eyes, sniffling, trying to compose herself.

Only half of Ewell's face was visible to her which clearly startled her as his quiet voice called “What's wrong?” before he leaned ever so slightly back, hiding a tiny bit more behind the lockers.

Armella stiffened her back, rubbed her face against her sleeve smearing days old make up across her white blouse.

Armella forced a smile on her face, closing her eyes to avoid the boy's thin, sit pupil staring her down and to hide the redness in her eyes “Hi,” she called, awkwardly wiping her hands on her hips, the dark skirt hid the stains much better than her shirt “I don't think I caught your name.” she added, he didn't reply immediately, instead he inched back when she began to walk closer to him.

His voice came fast, giving her a quick once over as she approached further “What's wrong?” he repeated quietly.

With that Armella gave up her act, her expression dropped as she lowered her head with a sigh “We should talk to everyone.” she said lowly, with a shake of her head. Once she was a few steps from the turn Ewell disappeared, assumingly down the hall as when she turned he was back at the cafeteria door, waiting.

He slipped back into the room when he saw her following, the door hardly made a noise when he snuck in but Armella didn't have the same care, pressing herself into the push bar making a loud clack, along with the sound of her clicking heels she startled a few inside.

Charlene shot up, her sudden move causing Creed to yelp as he rolled back and onto the floor. He grunted, sitting in confusion for only a brief second, before he shot up in concern.

“Armella?” Charlene sighed in relief.

Ewell was at Zeke's side, knelt down beside his bed and shaking his shoulder until he woke up, the other's began to stir as their voices got louder.

“Sani's gone.” she blurted out, fighting back the tears again she just sighed in defeat.

“What?” Monet asked, she looked over at Charlene for guidance but she was searching Armella's expression, clearly lost herself, Monet's eyes darted side to side in worry.

“What do you mean gone?” Phil snapped, groggy, voice low and gravely it almost sounded like a different person. He tried to move around his family, not wake them, but Debra was clearly already awake, just motionless as she held the resting boy still dreaming in her arms.

Armella walked to the nearest empty bed and fell into it, she leaned forward elbows on her thighs as she hid her face in her hands “He left, I told him there was safety in numbers but what do I know I'm just a stupid fucking glorified secretary,” her voice hardened before suddenly exclaiming “Sorry,” at the sight of the children, sleeping or not, then she just deflated, lowering back into crumpled lean, voice hollow as it left her dry throat “I couldn't stop him, I'm sorry.”. The room was silent for a moment, they all stood thinking, some still waking up and confused others wishing the day before was only a dream,

frowns and despondent pouts were exchanged, then eyes searched for guidance, a leader.

The quiet was heavy.

“Are we going to follow him?” Monet asked, tilting her head down, to the side, just enough to look Charlene's way once again.

“We did scout a path before,” Armella admitted “Yesterday, after we cleared this place.” she sniffled, looking back between her and Phil, she settled to look towards Charlene, Creed, and Monet rather than the grumpy man's sneer.

“Scouted what?” Ember asked with a yawn, appearing suddenly beside Armella's seat with Jake at her side.

Armella jumped in shock, a small yelp left her until she realized who they were, she sighed, hand over her chest as she leaned forward, she calmed herself down “The streets, we tried the highways but they're all either gated off or flooded with cars, we couldn't get through either. We found a relatively clear path up north east, a few blocks from here, it goes through Addler's street. By the big library.” she finished as the three teen's approached.

Zeke squinted then leaned in, he tried to make eye contact with Armella but she was bent forward so instead he looked over at Charlene, drawing her attention briefly “It's like they're zombies, you know? Trying to eat people and all that, do you think the bites infect us like they do in the movies? Or could it be blood like some of those rage zombies comics?” he asked curiously, but looking concerned.

“I don't know.” Armella's reply droned.

“Okay,” Creed let out a deep breath, climbing back up to sit beside Charlene again “How about you just tell us everything, everything you know about the disease.” he glanced to Charlene who nodded in agreement then back to Armella.

“I don't even know if it is a disease.” she replied with the edge of panic coming into her tone “I worked mostly in the file room, I signed off on payroll, filed expense reports, that sort of thing. But, I would read some of the reports, sometimes, they, well, some of them referred to whatever this is as a curse. I'm not sure, of course, I'm not religious, I'm not even from Ysyvanor.” she said with a hollow chuckle before wiping her face again “Some Ysyvanorian's of course were mad that some companies, ours included, were researching the tree. People said it's the Mother Tree retaliating against us.” she shook her head, giving a single shake to her hands “I always thought it was some kooks ranting, I mean, we've been using the surface roots for years and nothing ever happened. I, I don't understand it. I don't know if it is some magical curse from an angry Goddess or a strange mutation of a diseased tree but whatever it is it was mentioned in some of the reports, just, I thought it was superstition.” she murmured towards the end, voice trailing awkwardly.

Priscilla's brow bunched together, she almost looked annoyed. She stared at Armella with a look of judgment on her face.

She ran her hand through her hair as she continued, unable to see the looks she was being given, looking down she'd rather not face them anyway “I never saw anything in person until the infection got so bad we fled Siaé Basa. By then, well, it was already like what you've seen here, but worse, much worse.” she murmured awkwardly.

“That's it? That's all you know? Some religious nuts think this is some tree God's will?” Phil scoffed, he looked between the others hoping to see sympathetic or agreeing looks, then he focused back to Armella despite her remaining crumpled, she just further curled into herself at his voice “We still have no idea what's going on except people are suddenly spitting up petals and eating each other, why would a Ysyvanorian curse leave Ysyvanor? We don't practice their religion, we have a few of their churches in our own country just to appease those tree lovers, what more do they want from us? They took half our borders, humiliated our people, now what? They're going to end the world?” Phil snapped, his anger spiked before he suddenly lowered his voice, groaning, sighing. “I don't understand.” he ghosted, forcing himself to calm down, finally finishing his rant.

“I don't think anyone does.” Monet piped up.

“So this is the Ysyvanorian's fault?” Priscilla snapped, glaring now at her before changing to look at Phil worriedly, she crossed her arms, shifting her stance with a nervous pent up energy.

“What?” Zeke asked, befuddled.

“I don't think the Ysyvanorian's caused this, they were the first ones that got infected why would they do this to their own people? Their whole capital is nothing but ruins surrounded by that massive dying tree now.” Charlene added, she shook her hand lightly, only giving a single look to Phil then back to Armella.

“It doesn't matter what it is.” Ember groaned, she shook her head in aggravation “Curse, disease, infection, virus, it doesn't matter, all that matters is us getting somewhere safe. So let's just pack our shit and get out of here, okay?” she shouted, waving her hands before letting them fall and slap against her thighs “Alright?” she huffed, trying and failing to soften the harsh look on her face.

“Yeah, okay. Sure. Yeah, you're right.” Creed surrendered, raising his hands then letting them drop, he stood up and focused on Charlene “We should get going, try and find the military before dark.” he said, now smiling at her when he met her gorgeous eyes.

Jake let out a faint titter as he dragged Ember close to give a kiss to the side of her head, careful to avoid her horns but he obviously seemed used to dodging the sharp points “You heard the lady, let's get packed.” he added happily.

“There wasn't much but there was a bit of food I didn't use. I'll go pack it, don't leave without me, okay?” Monet said in an attempt at humor, giving Charlene a wavering smile before she turned to walk away, a wave shared between the two as Charlene returned a much more confident smile.

Debra was by Phil's side by the time Charlene looked back at the group, Bill sleepily rubbing his eyes in the bed behind her.

She looked around at the others, watched as Charlene and Creed went to grab their bags, as Jake was led by Ember's hand to the only thing they brought; Jake's jogging backpack, as Phil sat back down.

Steve moved, stepping over to his father complaining about being tired as Debra's gaze kept moving.

She didn't have anything, nor did her husband or children, all they had were the clothes on their backs. Same as that quiet girl Monet, and Armella. Debra chewed at her lips absentmindedly, everyone began moving around her, getting ready, sounds of shuffling feet and dragging cots filled the room but Debra heard something else, worried conversations, she turned her head and saw the three teens.

Priscilla was obviously still flustered, she was leaned into Zeke as he sat on the bed, fabric of his thick schoolbag dragged against the cafeteria floor as he brought it to rest against his leg, her hand held his shoulder, shaking it as she muttered into his ear with her face looking far from happy.

His back was to Debra but she saw him shake his head, shrugging her off and grumbling in reply.

Debra was about to intervene when Ewell took a reluctant step towards them “Guys?” his voice ghosted, he reached a hand towards Priscilla when she yanked herself away from the two of them.

“Knock it off Priscilla.” Zeke grumbled, he looked through his bag though honestly he was just pretending to do something to avoid her gaze. His fingers shifted through note books and class folders, his game system sneakily tucked in an sewn in pocket he felt it and the charger packed inside.

He absentmindedly grabbed his pencil case as Priscilla huffed, her shrill growl of annoyance cut through the quiet room before she stomped her foot. “Zeke.” she snapped.

Zeke slowly raised his head to meet her eye, he glared with a look of indignation. She startled briefly but she met his glare with her own, her dark freckled cheeks flushed red in anger. They're feelings battled for a mere moment before Zeke dropped his head to feign organizing his only remaining possessions. Zeke turned just slightly, adjusting his seat as Priscilla stare bore into him. As he moved he noticed Ewell, his hands hanging aimlessly in the space by his chest, fingers twitching nervously.

Ewell stammered, he went to take a step closer but recoiled, a lost look on his pale face. Before he managed to say or do anything Steve stepped towards Zeke and settled at his side, joining him in looking down at his bag the two briefly glanced at each other before wordlessly searching for nothing.

Priscilla frowned “Zeke!” this time she threw her arms down and shouted, she turned and waved at him and he hardly acknowledged her.

“What's wrong Priscilla?” Ewell asked as he got to her side, frowning nervously he reached towards her only for to slap his hand away.

“Shut up Ewell!” she snapped, spinning around and shoving him back, Ewell yelped, nearly falling over himself and into the bed but he stumbled enough to stand.

“Just calm down.” Zeke shouted, a slight bite in his tone, he immediately got mad at himself for losing his cool no matter how briefly as he murmured, cursing under his breath at himself.

“I'm sorry!” Ewell exclaimed. Eyes wide.

“This isn't like your stupid games!” Priscilla yelled, shifting between the two boys “We're gonna die.” speaking through her grit teeth as she glared down at Zeke.

“Stop yelling at him.” Steve yelled back, louder than she spoke, he crossed his arms and stood up, walking closer Priscilla was taller than him but he didn't seem to care, he looked cross, “You're being stupid!” he added throwing his arms down in frustration trying to bring emphasis to his feelings.

“Steve, we don't call people stupid.” Debra cut in, suddenly brought back into herself.

“Shut up!” Priscilla snapped back, she went to step closer to him but was interrupted. “Priscilla!” Zeke screamed as he shot up, nearly knocking the back pack over before he looked between her and the others, he growled, then shook his head “Come on.” he grumbled, sternly staring at her “Let's go where you won't upset anyone else.” he demanded, snatching the strap of his bag as she and him walked off, back towards the corner of the cafeteria.

“Steve?” Debra called, stepping towards him but Steve just grumbled and stormed off “Steve?” she asked again, watching him walk towards the kitchen, she heard him grumble “I'm gonna help get food.” as he stomped pass, Debra frowned as he just kept going, ignoring her completely. Debra shook her head, she knew going after him would only make him more angry. She stood, feeling helpless as she kept her eye on him.

The sound of the cot scraping against the floor drew her attention as her gaze trailed, looking away she saw Ewell curl into himself, sat on the floor with his back against the now still bed frame. Her brow pinched worriedly but as she opened her mouth to speak Phil called out behind her “Debra.” and she turned to face him.

He waved her over as he pulled Bill up into his arms. She looked back to Ewell guiltily before she went to her husband.

Monet had her head in a cabinet trying to ignore the raised voices coming from the main room, she was packing everything that still looked edible in an emptied hemp sack, any cans, pouch foods, sealed bottles, whatever she saw.

She yelped. Suddenly surprised when a voice called out from behind her. Jumping in surprise she smacked her head on the top of the cabinet, then she yanked herself out rubbing her head.

“Can I help?” Steve asked. Hands shoved in his short pockets. He looked upset, frustrated, but held a slight bit of amusement from seeing her startle.

“Sure.” She replied, giving him a small smile despite the twitch of pain on her face. “Thank you.” she added as her hands fell back to her lap.

“You got another bag?” he asked, glancing around the room aimlessly “So I just grab cans or what?” he added, voice low and disinterested.

“Yes please,” Monet nodded “Anything that looks like we could eat or drink it!” she tried to force a cheer in her voice, she gestured over across to the other row of cabinets “I think I saw some rice boxes in there, you can take this bag. I'll find another one.” Monet said before she pushed herself up to her feet and handed over the partially filled bag.

Steve nodded, approaching lazily he grabbed the bag from her then wandered over towards the signaled cabinets.

After Monet emptied another bag for their use it went much quicker having two people, Steve stuffed whatever he could find into the sack, sighing and dragging his feet but all effort to get him to talk failed and Monet gave up, instead raiding every drawer, shelf, pantry and cabinet, most already empty and by the time she moved towards one of the final rows of clear glass jars she heard Creed's voice.

“Everybody group up, we're heading out!” he called, drawing everyone together and back to the main doors back into the school, everyone had their things, Jake took a sack from Monet but when Creed offered to take Steve's he shook his head in polite refusal.

Priscilla, nor her friends looked close to pleased, the Days' were stuck close together and ready. Ember with Monet and Charlene at her sides and finally Creed, Jake, and Armella closest to the door.

“You all ready?” Jake asked, raising a brow, trying to seem enthusiastic while his chest filled with nervous dread.

0