Chapter 6: Welcome to Mallten
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Iona was staring transfixed on the town, she was in such shock she didn't notice the voices coming through the radio or even her father, as he called to her, she was finally drawn from her mind when a knock on the window dragged her out of the dread.

She startled, looking over to see Wyatt beside her door.

Iona cracked the door until Wyatt stepped back allowing her to exit. Wyatt rose his brow “What we doin' now?” he asked, scratching at the back of his neck as an excuse to keep his head down.

“Um,” before Iona could even muster a reply she had Arlene and Bonnie at her sides, worry lines on their tanned faces and questions coming from their lips.

“Should we go around?”

“This place ain't lookin' safe.”

“Lil Acron?” Irvin called glancing back to his gasping wife “Honey what's going on?” he asked.

“Um,” Iona sputtered as Nancy arrived.

Cooper stepped up beside Wyatt's leg, gasping at the town, he took a nervous step back and clung onto Wyatt's jeans. “Oh my god.” Nancy huffed, hand hovering over her mouth she looked behind her then back to Cooper “What happened? Are we leaving?” she asked facing Iona finally.

Nancy shook her head nervously as Wyatt spoke “We ain't got the supplies, we barely made it here.” he said before adjusting the bow on his shoulder “Me 'n Bonnie gonna poke 'round? See what we can find?” he asked, tilting slightly towards Iona as he gave a pat to Cooper's head.

Nancy mumbled, Cooper glanced her way nervously but kept still, he glanced back to the cars, towards Penelope's vehicle.

“Whoo, looks like downtown after the Burgs' lost the big game.” Ralph exhaled his laugh as he stopped at Wyatt's side, he grabbed Wyatt's shoulder and shook it “'Member how T-Deer took a weeks worth his Bidson's shit and lit a bag of it on every enemy player's motel doors?” he said with a laugh “You were so piss drunk I bet you don't even remember, do ya?” he said fondly, a wide grin on his face.

“Man take this serious.” Wyatt scolded lowly, voice hardly audible but with Ralph delivering a slap to the back of his head clearly proved he heard it. “C'mon.” Wyatt snapped in agitation.

“What should we do Iona?” Bonnie asked, axe in hand.

Iona turned her head as Irvin called for her again, blinking nervously, she frowned seeing the worry on his face. Ruth fanned herself, taking in deep breaths as she calmed down.

Ruth smiled at her, face flushed “Don't worry about me now.” she assured, waving her hand “I'm sorry, go back to the others.” she pulled the blanket back up around herself. She then pointed towards the radio, a long ignored voice calling from it as Irvin handed it towards her.

She took it as the voice came sputtering out “Hello? What's going on!” Dixie's voice called loudly, vibrating the radio in Iona's hand.

She gave a worried look to her mother before turning to face the group, clicking the side button on the device “The town's been destroyed, I don't know if we should drive through. The, just, stay back there with the kids, we're coming up with a plan.” she said sternly, sterner than she meant but Dixie didn't reply and the radio went quiet.

“Iona?” Arlene called.

“Give me a minute!” Iona snapped, sticking her hand out in a swift wave.

Arlene shrunk back, grumbling out an apology as she stumbled back towards Wyatt and Cooper.

Ralph rolled his eyes “Place looks looted, doubt there gonna much left.” he remarked gesturing back towards his truck “Arl, get my crossbow 'n I'll check the place out myself.” Ralph said with a scoff.

“Get it yourself.” Arlene murmured before Iona spoke, drawing Ralph's glare away “No ones going alone.” she clicked the radio on and began to speak “We're going in two groups, sweeping a small section of the town before we get the hells out of here. Everyone else wait in the cars and be ready.”.

“I should go.” Ford's voice came from the radio, his tone naturally low and snorting “I want to help.”

Iona was quick to reply with “You can help by staying back and keeping an eye on everyone.” she waited for protests but Ford never replied.

“C'mon woman, this ain't the trader camp ya thought it was gonna be.” Ralph said waving at Iona dismissively “Y'all should listen to me for once and we can get some fuckin' work done.” as he turned to his truck.

“Ralph!” Nancy snapped and he just 'shooed at her, ignoring her further as he moved to get his crossbow.

“I'm getting my bow too, I think we should have bigger groups this time.” Arlene said as she trailed after her older brother.

“Should I go?” Renáta called, arms crossed as she approached “I feel like I haven't done much other than follow you all around.” she scoffed sarcastically but she had a look of guilt in her eye.

“No offense but you don't have a lot of experience.” Iona replied.

“More numbers can't be a bad thing, 'sides, she could learn 'n maybe me 'n Wyatt can get more help!” Bonnie exclaimed happily. Pumping her fist once in excitement.

“This seems like a big first assignment.” Iona remarked shaking her head.

Renáta rubbed against her biceps keeping warm, ruffling the worn buttoned shirt she wore “As you know,” she chuckled awkwardly gesturing at her appearance, despite being in a literal apocalypse Renáta put a lot of effort into herself, she still wore the brand name fashion she packed with her, kept her jewelry, ear piercings and shiny rings, well tended and clean. While she was running low on supplies she still painted her face prettily with minimalist, professional, styled make up and well tended hair. “I'm not exactly from around here. I'm used to hotels, stressful meetings and constant big city traveling, small towns aren't my normal scene.” she said looking back and forth between the locals, she knew she was the only one not from Benslow, not from Edgeridge, it made her feel all the more like the odd one out.

Nancy stepped forward, unfolding her arms to give Renáta a supportive pat, which Renáta didn't seem too used to as she startled but quickly made up for it with a smile “I spent most of my adult life in Adambury. I lost most of my country girl edge,” Nancy joked as she pulled her hand away “We only moved back to Benslow a couple years ago, so, you're not alone.” she ended softly.

“Yeah!” Cooper assured, twisting around but he still hung off of Wyatt's pant leg, straining the fabric of the baggy, dirty, jeans to allow him to lean closer to his mother and Renáta “I grew up in the city!” he paused, then looked up at Wyatt who wasn't paying the conversation much mind, his eyes scanning the remains of Mallten instead. “I can't believe mom moved out of Benslow, everyone in Adambury were jerks.” then his brow pinched together, thinking, realizing his father was still in Adambury but he elected not to correct himself. Nancy noticed Cooper deflate.

“Thank you,” Renáta said gratefully, nodding between the three women, having her back to Wyatt though not purposely “I've always been told Edgeridger's were so hard to deal with but you all have certainly proven that wrong.” she added, slowly uncurling her arms more casually “That's why I want to help. Give back.” Renáta finished as she met Bonnie's eye, Bonnie of course was beaming at her all for the positivity.

Cooper sighed, he took a step back, putting his weight on Wyatt instead. Leaning on him rather than hold himself up, his arms fell to his sides with another huff.

“Cooper?” Nancy called which caused the boy to snap his gaze to her, forcing a smile on his face before he startled, nearly shaken away as Wyatt moved.

Wyatt spit into the dirt, nudging at the ground with his foot he halfheartedly grumbled “We doin' three 'n three then?” which drew Iona's attention.

“Ooh! What teams?” Bonnie exclaimed, looking between them “Should me 'n Wyatt be on a team?” she asked with a crook in her brow “Or is Ralph gonna lead?” she added, shifting her weight to her other hip with a roll of her round eyes.

Nancy shook her head without even thinking, scoffing out “I wouldn't trust his brother for this.” to which Wyatt shot her a look, nothing aggressive, almost hurt. He then looked away before she could react, pushing his tongue against his tusk, fingers fidgeting.

“Hmm, maybe we should have our two best scavengers lead the teams, which, hmm, no...” her voice trailed “What about Ralph? I know you can handle him but...” she blurted out, then looked up from her thoughtful pondering to see Bonnie frown.

“What 'bout'em?” Wyatt asked, peeking up at the two of them. Renáta cleared her throat looking away.

The other two gave him a pitied look, awkwardly glancing away and back to each other trying to come up with something to say. Iona shrugged, she needed to come up with a plan not baby people's feelings. Even if this is far from how she wanted this to go, any of this. “I don't want him throwing a tantrum and getting us killed, but I doubt any of the woman here would want him in charge.” she replied bluntly.

Wyatt moved, turning to better face them all which caused Cooper to stumble, Wyatt made sure the boy didn't fall but let him skip a step as he returned to his mother, she ruffled his hair before sending him off towards the other cars, when they all returned their focus to the archer they saw Wyatt's eyes narrow in offense as he waited for the boy to be out of ear shot, standing up a bit straighter Wyatt waved his hand towards the ground “He ain't a rapist,” he snapped, taken aback he shook his head as a mix of emotions tried to fight for control over his expression, he ended up looking distressed if not annoyed. “He's my big brother, damn, y'all.” Wyatt grumbled, he turned to walk away but startled when he saw Arlene at his side.

She put her hand out to stop his move, he flinched away before her hand touched his chest “Did ya hear that bullshit?” he stammered, gesturing his hands aimlessly before he grabbed the strap of his compound bow slung over his shoulder.

“Wyatt.” she said sternly, shooting a serious look his way causing him to stammer in retort.

Wyatt flustered, switching between angry and sad but the stutter in his voice lessened his emotion “Well, I-I wasn't expectin' you to defend'em but I didn't think ya'd agree with'em,” he stammered with a furrowed brow “That's your blood.” he ended with a grumble.

“Me, Wyatt, and Ralph can be a team.” Arlene said reaching out but not looking at Wyatt, he leaned away minutely but she still caught his shoulder, Wyatt grumbled but didn't brush her off “I kept him in line for years, I can always do it again.” she said with a humorous smile, closing her eyes with her twitching grin.

“Then me, Bonnie, and Renáta will be the other? Leaving Dixie, my father, and the teenagers as the defense,” her finger folded over her chin in thought “I don't want to stay long,” her gaze flicked back up to meet their eyes, the hunting party around her, minus Ralph and plus the ever nosy Nancy “I guess that will work for now, but it's not a habit I want to get into.” she added before taking a deep breath, bringing her arms to her side she looked between them all “We need to pack and move now while we still have light, we need the radios, weapons, and defenses.” Iona then faced Wyatt “Get your flashlight back from Cooper.” her voice came like a command and Wyatt only responded by lowering his head in frustration.

Iona then glanced to Arlene “I'll trust you to get Ralph ready,” and as she passed by she added “Wyatt too.” before she continued to her car.

Wyatt grumbled, a pout trying to be hidden behind sharp tusks “I can't believe you.” he said under his breath as Arlene pulled him forward, shaking her head in exasperation she gave a wave to Bonnie who gave a sheepish one back, they all moved to their vehicles and began to gather their things.

Nancy's gaze followed Arlene before looking back and forth worriedly, nothing but plains and distant woods surrounded the road. She watched Arlene's long hair in the wind, the strands a richer brown than her brother's dusty locks but just as unruly. She cleared her throat and followed after Arlene, quickly trying to catch up with the two.

“Arlene?” she called, reaching out but pulling back just as quick. Stopping a few steps away.

“Huh?” Arlene paused, she turned around and looked Nancy over, trying to do so quickly and unnoticed. For a brief second she paused at Nancy's fidgeting hands, thin digits shaking. “You okay Nance?” she asked softly. When Arlene stopped Wyatt did the same, in an attempt to come off as not trying to eavesdrop he trailed away a few steps but kept close enough if they were attacked. Just a few paces off the road.

Wyatt took a look at the back of Arlene's head before he lowered his own, clearing his throat and spitting into the dirt he tried to become part of the background.

Nancy reached down into her pocket and pulled out a spare hair tie, this one was a thin material covered in elastic fabric and dyed to match the color of blonde hair. She gave an apologetic huff, her own medium length yellow hair was tied up in a pony tail “It might not match your hair but hopefully it'll keep something from grabbing it.” she explained trying to give a comforting smile but Nancy was close to breaking, clearly, her naturally round face looked all the more angular, shadows under eyes and cheek bones with dry lips bitten and worried.

Arlene reached out and took the tie with a quiet “Thanks,” letting her hand run along Nancy's before she hooked their fingers together and dragged her into a tight hug, Nancy hugged back, speaking as she exhaled into Arlene's shoulder “You're the only thing keeping me together.” Nancy said as she leaned back to look her in her eyes, Arlene's were a lighter blue than Ralph's or Wyatt's darker ultramarine colors but they weren't nearly as bright as the sky blue of her's and Cooper's, she didn't hold the same worry Nancy held either, she brought confidence to her face, reassuring Nancy with just a look. “You've been my biggest support since I moved back.” Nancy ghosted.

“And before that,” Arlene said in a way that was clearly meant as a joke, smiling at Nancy's grimace “Don't forget I was your best friend before that city slicker stole you away.” she interjected.

Nancy nodded in agreement, her chuckle seemed more like a scoff as the short laugh left her lips, but it wasn't humorless “And you've been picking up my pieces since, really, Arlene I can't thank you for everything you've done for me and Cooper, I know and it's selfish of me to say but be safe out there, please, I still need my best friend.” she said with the faintest grin.

Arlene yanked her into another but shorter hug, pulling away almost immediately after “Don't worry, just keep you and Cooper safe.” she finished before she moved to walk away, Nancy gave her a wave which Arlene returned before gesturing for Wyatt the follow.

Wyatt trailed after her, glancing briefly to Iona as she moved around her wagon.

Iona climbed into the back seat of the car, beside her mother and Irvin was talking the second she opened that door “What's going on?” he asked twisting to try and see her.

“We're just going to look around, find some water. No big deal dad, we'll be back in two hours. Tops.” she assured but her father still looked nervous, a bit awkward as he adjusted his weight in the seat “Do you still have your gun, just to be safe?” she asked, turning to look seriously at him.

“Of course. Locked in the glove box.” Irvin replied.

“You don't think we'll be needing it do you?” Ruth asking with a wavering voice.

“No, but aside from Wyatt's rifle that's the only one we got. I want you to keep it with you, and ready, just in case. But only if you have to, we don't want the noise drawing anything else.” She asked, brow pinching together with worry she failed to hide.

“I'll take care of your mother, don't you worry.” Irvin assured with a playful smile but he was met only with Iona's solemn expression “I'll take care of us both.” he added, smile fading into a smaller but more genuine one “I promise.” Irvin finished.

“Thank you.” Iona smiled as she yanked a blue backpack out from the trunk, pulling it to her chest “We won't be long. I'm taking the radio, most of the other's will probably be with Dixie in her van so we'll communicate through her. Keep the doors locked, and windows up. Got it?” she added as she fixed the bag to her back, adjusting the straps to fit more comfortably.

“I thought I was the parent.” Irvin said with a wide grin.

“Love you both,” Iona smiled back, leaning further back in to kiss her mother on the cheek and shake her father's shoulder affectionately “I'll have Ella-Mae check on you now and again, fill you in when we update.” she said as she pulled back and out of the wagon “Be back soon.” taking the radio before she waved goodbye.

Ruth blew kisses towards her as Irvin waved back, Iona shut the door and walked just a few feet down the road, looking back she saw Bonnie was the first approaching, the same knapsack she always brought along was hanging from her shoulder by a reinforced strap.

She had a bundle of radios in her arms “I left one with Dix!” she said as she got to her side, looking back towards the line of cars “Wyatt's gettin' the lights 'n Renáta's grabbin' weapons. Wyatt'll bring back your crowbar 'm sure.” Bonnie affirmed, nodding as she settled beside her. “You reckon it's alright we send all our ranged fighters on one team? I mean, they're all good with them bows 'n all but Wyatt's only just started teachin' me,” She gave a slight shrug, almost guiltily “They have the bows 'n I ain't even got an arrow to my name so it ain't like I can bring a spare. I ain't think Ralph'd be keen on sharin' and Arlene's bow was her momma's so I don't wanna ask her, 'm sure Wyatt'll let me borrow his, but, he hardly takes the damn thing off I ain't want him feelin' vulnerable without it.” she added, staring out into the city with her axe balanced on her shoulder.

“That's a good point Bonnie.” Iona replied, she didn't move her head but she glanced her way. “Wyatt will be fine, his siblings are there. Novice or not we should have someone with ranged capabilities.” she then looked back towards the row of cars, she heard Ralph's voice, a loud curse or a chuckle, followed by Arlene's but she couldn't make it out.

She finally saw them, Renáta was storming forward with a few different weapons in her arms, she looked disgruntled but didn't say anything beyond “Here.” as she handed over the items.

Just a few feet behind her was the McKinley siblings who all approached, wearing empty supply bags ready to be filled.

Laying out their things they all looked them over. They had seven radios between them, nine flashlights, and a variety of tools. Iona took to divvying out what they had.

The McKinley siblings kept their bows and melee weapons on their person rather than with the groups, Wyatt's sleek black compound bow was well tended but plain, with a built in quiver for four sharp arrows, the fifth held in Wyatt's hand, he also had his favorite hunting knife clipped to his belt.

Ralph had a thick crossbow limply held in his loose grip, there were mended cracks that were attempted to be hidden by a dark black and blue camouflage coloration, there were a few bright red accents but it was kept mostly dark. The handle was covered in duct tape. The top was equipped with five arrows of his own and he still had the long machete at his side.

Arlene had her own bow, a thinner pink tipped recurve bow meant for game hunting, she wore her quiver on her thigh, hung from her belt holding more arrows than either of her brother's carried.

Iona noted this, hand on her chin. She then briefly looked to Wyatt “Bonnie should have a bow, we need range.” to which he startled.

“Whut?” he stammered, absentmindedly grabbing the strap of his bow.

“Can I borrow it? Please?” Bonnie asked, quickly stepping forward to draw his attention away from Iona's stern but contemplative look.

He blubbered, opening his mouth to speak but before he said anything Ralph slapped his shoulder “Give it to the lady.” he snorted as he added “Maybe she'll give it to you later.” snarkily.

“Will you knock that off!” Wyatt growled out, shrugging him off aggressively, letting his voice raise more than he wanted before he sunk back, grunting in annoyance. He pulled the bow off his back and handed it towards Bonnie with out a word. He didn't meet her eyes as she took it with a sheepish thanks.

“Ralph. Shut up.” Arlene said blankly. Her voice plain and emotionless, she didn't even sound scolding. Just impassive.

Ralph shot her a look but before he could retort the group moved on.

Renáta began tying her wispy hair up in a tight ponytail “OK. I'm not much of a fighter, but, just gotta swing at the heads right? Can't be too hard.” she said clearly trying to put on a more confident front but they all could see right through her, her grin wavered grimly and her brow twitched with concern but still she was determined to try, despite the pit building in her stomach. She wanted to help more than drive the cars and help take stock of supplies.

“I'll take my crowbar,” Iona said as she picked it up, tapping the clean bar against her palm as she looked over the remaining weapons, they left a few for Dixie and the others. Most notably the metal bat that Ford used back in school.

They had a pair of wooden bats, a shovel, a second crowbar and a few kitchen knives.

Renáta screwed her lips, looking a bit nervous, she glanced to Iona “Can I have a knife? And maybe a second thing?” she asked, trying to sound sure.

Iona nodded gesturing towards the crowbar “I'll take one too, Arlene, the bat or shovel? I think the bat would be better.” Iona gave her opinion but shrugged, ultimately leaving it up to Arlene.

“I'll take the bat.” she agreed, nodding her head. She gestured towards it asking permission before she took it, Iona nodded, but Wyatt had moved to pick it up before he noticed Iona's reply. He handed it over to Arlene who gave thanks with a short bob of acknowledgment.

They left the shovel and Bonnie took the remaining bat as a last resort. Just in case. Iona looked over the group but she wasn't struck with the sense of confidence she hoped she would, she took a deep breath, adjusting her stance as she glanced briefly at the crowbar in her hands “Me, Renáta, and Bonnie will search the residential side, looks like the left side mostly. You three go through the businesses, hopefully everything hasn't been picked over already.” Iona instructed trying to let her gaze trail over all of them, making eye contact no matter how brief. Or trying too. “We meet back at the cars in two hours, everyone keep your radios on and keep communication clear, concise, and often.” she ended, looking back over towards Mallten's ruins.

“Stay safe out there, everyone.” Arlene said staring hard at the three women across from her.

“You too, make sure those brothers of yours get you back safely.” Renáta spoke mostly to fill the air, and almost entirely towards Arlene trying to give a pleasant smile.

“Hey.” Wyatt mumbled in offense.

“Awh nawh, ain't you hear? She don't need family no more-” Ralph suddenly stopped as Arlene halfheartedly slapped the back of her hand into his chest “You're thirty years old, act like it.” she snapped. Glaring at him.

“Watch the way you talk to me.” Ralph said, forcefully knocking her hand away. He went to turn towards her when Wyatt bumped his arm drawing his attention.

“Ralph, you want the radio?” he asked, and Ralph glared at everyone as he faced Wyatt, sneering he snatched the device from his hand, then he looked back to Iona.

“We all get one don't we?” then he snapped his attention back to Wyatt “I ain't stupid, runt.” Ralph growled through his grit teeth before he shoved passed Wyatt, moving towards the town “Fuck off, all of you. Talk shit all ya want I ain't listenin' no more. Waitin' five then 'm goin' alone.” he said darkly, voice low and angry as he stormed off, turning back and glaring at them all just for a moment before ignoring them completely.

There was a brief silence between them as Iona rose her brow, she didn't know if she should address that but as he looked away from the scuffed leather jacket adoring Ralph's back Arlene spoke up, taking a few steps to have her back to the town and the focus on her. “We're leavin' Dixie the last radio right?” Arlene asked trying to move past Ralph's outburst.

“Yes.” Iona nodded “We all have one and she'll have the last. If we can find more that would be ideal, I don't like leaving my parent's without one but the six of us need to be able to communicate.” she drew everyone in, giving a small smile and a nod of encouragement to the group before her as she finished.

“Sounds good. See you in two hours.” Arlene spoke like she was positive, as if she knew she'd see them all again. The warmer smile she returned made Iona want to believe her, she really did, a slight darkness, uncertainty, still clung to Iona's heart but pushed the thoughts away and agreed with a more genuine smile back “Two hours.” Iona gave a single determined nod of her head.

They all began to move towards the town, slowly the group drifted from each other. Breaking off. Ralph pushed forward keeping a few steps ahead of his siblings while the team of three women moved towards the one of two large neighborhoods in town.

Irvin watched them leave, nervous for his daughter's safety.

He looked back at his wife, Ruth was sweating. Her face was flushed but she was in an uneasy rest, or trying to be. Even he couldn't tell when she was sleeping anymore. His worried gaze fell solemnly. Glancing through the few parts of the back window he could see through the thick piles of supplies he saw Dixie in the driver's seat of the van, barely able to see her resting her head against the steering wheel.

In the passenger's seat was Nancy, she was staring down at the radio sitting still on the console between them.

Cooper had an open book in his lap while Penelope was leaned against him, both quietly reading while the conversation continued behind them, the teens were chatting. Or bickering. Cooper always had a hard time telling.

Ella-Ma was looking out of the window trying not to acknowledge the fight going on beside her, Ford and Fronie were going back and forth, Fronie's angry voice snapped out “It's not like you have anything to do either!” which caused Ford grimace.

“I tried! Iona doesn't let me do shit!”

“Language! Honestly, what is wrong with everyone!” Dixie shouted, her voice snapped in frustration before slammed her hands down on the steering wheel, causing the horn to honk just once. She spun around and pointed at them “I swear to Jaktu if you don't stop cursing in front of my daughter I'll teach you the manners you parents clearly didn't.” her voice came fast, strained, angry.

Her sudden outburst caused the whole car to quiet, shooting their attentions anywhere that didn't show Dixie's furious expression.

Ella-Mae, despite not even being in the conversation was near tears when she blurted out “I'm sorry.” to cut the silence, she folded into herself, bunching her hands between her thighs wrinkling her layered skirt.

“You didn't do anything wrong, Fronie did.” Ford said with a negative bite to his tone. A quick look to his sister before looking back towards Ella-Mae. His expression softened, then went a little cocky “We all know you're too good for that.” he said as he leaned his head closer to her and she leaned back, pressing against the van wall with an awkward smile.

“Shut the hells up Ford.” Fronie snatched his collar and yanked him back towards her. She stared at him, challenging, Ford's expression faded, trailing, he shook his head and grumbled. She shoved him back “You're such a loser.” she mumbled, crossing her arms and looking away from him, out of the other window and into the misty forest, though she wasn't really paying attention.

Ford muttered “Fuck off.” under his breath, quiet enough so only those three in the back heard, Ella-Mae cringed, waiting for Dixie to speak but she didn't, so she quieted down, lowered her head and stared at her scuffed white boots.

She thought. Just hoping those in town were safe, and having a better time than she was.

As the two groups passed the town line they found it eerily silent, they heard no voices. No alarms, no honking, not even chimes. The only sound was their own breath and the brush of chilled wind. A gust blew through broken homes and vehicles whistling through the desolate streets, Bonnie gave a final glance back to the McKinley siblings before focusing solely on her goal. The groups goal.

Find supplies, feed and water their people, and find someplace safe. Bonnie repeated this in her head.

Bonnie took lead with Iona close to her, at her right but a step behind while Renáta took up the rear, she walked backwards, just a few feet behind the others with her bat raised and ready. Her eyes scanned the empty roads, some inner alleys weren't even paved.

What few streets had sidewalks were marred with cracks that hardy weeds sprouted from, Iona swallowed, the town was sure overgrown for a mere month and some change, she thought she heard reports of trader's here, people, but there was no evidence of anyone for quite some time. There were few cars in the gravel drive ways, children's toys, luggage, destroyed mailboxes and hand painted campaign signs littered the yards. Broken. Discarded. Abandoned in panic as she assumed the townsfolk fled, there was still burn marks coloring what roads were paved as tires screeched out, they passed only one obvious crash, a t-bone accident, she looked away from the blackened blood that clung to shattered glass and noted the lack of bodies.

Iona took a deep breath and let her gaze trail over the first up coming house, a small light blue painted cottage style home, the large front bay window was broken in but there didn't seem to be much more external damage.

She jerked her head to the side and tapped at Bonnie's shoulder, the three moved towards it. Eyes and ears open.

Bonnie moved towards the broken window and used her axe to carefully remove the small amount of left over sharp edges. Iona and Renáta kept behind her, watching the street, the windows and yards, anywhere and everywhere for movement. She didn't even hear a bird chirp. Renáta frowned.

“Goin' in.” Bonnie spoke softly, taking the first step inside. She climbed through the window and looked over the living room in one quick motion. The wooden table was tipped over with magazines and pillows scattered about the floor. Blood splattered the couch but Bonnie could tell in an instant it was far from a fresh stain. She kept on as the other two followed her inside.

The main living space. A small room with cream walls, mirrors and paintings covered them but they didn't see family photos, a few portraits or couple photos but there were clear markings on the wall where larger and few smaller picture frames were hung. Discolored shapes and scuff marks gave that away.

Bonnie moved in, careful not to kick or crack anything underfoot she peeked down the end of the wall. The front of the house looked almost normal, doorway with hats and coats hung on racks with two sets of styled shoes. A couple Iona assumed by the size and looks, she followed Bonnie's gaze to the frosted glass of the front door.

Then Iona's head snapped around when she heard cracking, her expression hardened briefly when she saw Renáta cringing at the noise she made, stepping on part of the broken window pane. Iona waved and Renáta mouthed an apology before quickly side stepping to follow them.

Bonnie however quickly moved to the kitchen, most of the cabinets were hung open and barren. She pulled open the fridge then gagged, quickly shutting it from the fowl stench of rot. She coughed. Took a deep breath, then smiled at the two of them as if nothing happened.

She looked at Renáta “Grab anything edible, Iona, keep watch?” Bonnie said, paused a mere second changing her words to a question as if she had to ask permission. Iona nodded, keeping quiet she turned to keep her eye on the broken window. Occasionally looking back down to the hall of closed doors.

They snagged the precious few things that hadn't been already taken or spoiled in just a few minutes, they regrouped with Iona before searching further down into the back rooms of the single story home.

The first was a bathroom, Iona dashed in and snatched any good toiletries she could find, smiling triumphantly at the other two when she found a sealed pack of toothpaste in the back of the sink cabinet.

Not much was found in the master bedroom, Renáta searched the closest and nightstand drawers, she saw a few books of faith, some left behind clothes but nothing that seemed useful enough for her bag.

Bonnie slipped into the other room and searched the small office, the bulky home computer had a broken screen but the rest of the room looked clean enough, a bit dusty, cluttered she thought, but not filthy.

Knickknacks and local high school trophies lined the shelves but she didn't take anything, nothing of note stood out, she approached the desk and pulled open the drawer. Mostly scrap paper but she took a few loose low caliber bullets and the letter opener with her.

They regrouped at the thin entrance hall as fast as they could.

Renáta had a growing sense of ease, a faint confidence built in her as she, Bonnie, and Iona stepped outside once again.

They approached the door across the street, Renáta looked up towards the charred roof damaged from the singed skeleton of the neighbors house, this one was two stories, the overhang that protected the porch matched the wooden shakes of the roof. She saw the angled pitch, two windows on either side, bedrooms she would assume.

Her footsteps slowed when she thought she saw the curtain move, she squinted her eyes and tried to focus more on it but it didn't move again. Blinking back into herself she looked forward as Bonnie and Iona advanced.

On the other side of Mallten the McKinley siblings moved through the car covered street, just ahead of them was a four car accident that had burned itself out sometime ago but the marks in the asphalt remained.

They moved, keeping close together allowing Ralph to lead. It seemed to be the main business street of the small town, the sides of the wide two lane road were lined with buildings made of brick and compost siding.

Arlene looked to the left side of the street, few cars were parked proper while the rest were strewn about, a large pick up truck was driven into the front of a butcher's shop down the road, brick bashed in and scattered with the front glass window allowing a stench to cover this side of town. Still. After all these years off the farm the smell of rot brought her right back. Memories of untreated game left unattended for weeks at a time when her father would go on a bender and forget about it, only for the smell to linger, eventually wafting from the workshop until it made its way down into her bedroom window. She felt sick at both the smell and the memory, but she swallowed it down like she did when she was little.

She snapped back to look at Ralph when she heard him whoop, Wyatt grumbled but she focused on Ralph as he moved forward, practically hopping as he swung in the machete in his hand, twirling it as he charged towards a bound infected, it was trying to move until it notice him.

It looked like it used to be a man, his twisted arm trapped in the wreckage of a car accident. It attempted to move down the street, towards the other side of town. It wanted down the street, had a focus on its bloodied face until the sound of Ralph's advanced seem to sever that focus.

Blown out eyes drifted, trailing towards him with an indifferent laze that quickly gave way to hunger.

The infected creature's jaw snapped at him, cracking his arm backwards at the elbow as it tried to escape the wreck and devour Ralph, who only grinned at Its futile attempts.

He rose his machete ready to strike it down when the body went limp as a thin arrow pierced Its head. The smile dropped off of Ralph's face like he was struck, spinning around to see Arlene lowering her sleek bow.

“What the fuck!” Ralph growled, he stormed closer to the two of them.

“Will you take this seriously! Please.” Arlene pleaded, throwing her arms down in frustration and disappointment “We have people depending on us.” she remarked with a deep frown wrinkling her pretty face.

“We shouldn't be talkin'” Wyatt suddenly scolded, trying and failing to shut them both up when Ralph kept on.

He opened his arms wide holding his machete like an extension of his arm, staring her down “Exactly!” Ralph screamed, he dropped the weapon wielding hand to the side and pointed towards Arlene. Wyatt strolled towards him, shaking his head. “We're always stickin' our necks out for'em, for them! They ain't blood 'n I think it's high time they do some'a the work themselves!” Ralph practically screamed, red faced in anger.

“Don't give me that shit about blood, you've never given a damn about family unless it's convent to you!” Arlene screamed back, her voice cracked with a high pitch as she glared him down, then Wyatt was blocking her sight of him.

“Quiet down.” Wyatt grumbled now standing between the two, he kept an eye on Ralph “'Nough blusterin', c'mon man.” he added with disappointment clear in his soft spoken tone.

“Oh always the knight in shinin' fuckin' armor, ain't'a bro?” Ralph easily talked over him which Wyatt only rolled his eyes in response to, seemingly used to it. The sound of glass shattered in the distance, Wyatt pinched his brow together searching for the source “Now yer ignorin' me?” Ralph growled through his grit teeth before he threw his fist sucker punching Wyatt while he wasn't looking.

Wyatt hit the ground hard, wincing before he turned his head “What the fuck man!” Wyatt shouted back, thanks to his thick jacket he didn't get much road rash but he felt his fingers sting in pain as they hit the rocky street to keep himself from collapsing completely.

“Ralph!” Arlene exclaimed in shock. She was torn between too much noise, she heard glass crunch, Wyatt cursing, growling, and Ralph's angry voice.

Ralph reached down and gripped Wyatt's collar, dragging him up partially on his knees “Ralph!” he grumbled, trying to pry his fingers from his shirt “Knock it off!” he shouted slamming his open palm against his forearm.

“Whattaya expect!” he shouted, delivering a lighter slap forcing Wyatt to grunt from the strike. Eyes wide Ralph pointed directly at him “All the disrespect, the shit ya'll 'er shovin' down my throat-” he was suddenly thrown, shoved hard as Arlene pushed him away with a shout.

Wyatt was thrown to the concrete as Ralph stumbled back, his face going through a quick motion of expressions, furious, then surprised, then a smirk grew on his chapped lips as he yanked his crossbow up, but before Wyatt could move to stop him he pulled the trigger.

Arlene's eyes went wide as the arrow flew towards her, whistling through the air with a terrifying speed, she blinked, shutting her eyes she felt the wind blow by her and she swore she lost a few locks of her ponytail as the sharp edge of the stainless steel arrowhead flew by and whipped through the air behind her.

She shrieked as Ralph shouted “Look alive!” as he reloaded the crossbow and raised it again “ 'cus they sure ain't!” he added and when Arlene finally forced herself to turn around she saw three shuffling infected lunging towards her.

She froze. Staring. Her heart was beating so hard she couldn't hear. She was like a deer in headlights.

Raw fingers were inches from her face, so close she could smell rot and soil. Then she was yanked back, a hand gripped her blouse as dragged her backwards until she slipped off her feet, grunting as she fell back into Wyatt, who had frantically crawled to her side and pulled her away from their undead clutches.

Rather than reloading Ralph instead let the crossbow drop, hanging from its strap as he charged forward and brought his machete down severing the hand that hungered for his kin.

Arlene leapt to her feet huffing, her eyes burned as she was too scared to even blink. Wyatt scrambled up beside her and ran to support Ralph.

Ralph grunted, suddenly shouting as he felt a cold, clammy, hand grip his shoulder and pull. “Get off me!” Ralph exclaimed, a crack of fear in his voice when clacking teeth snapped towards him. “Fuck!” he screamed, dodging back as what used to be a construction worker bit frantically at him, Its head jerking back and forth with jaws snapping like a rabid animal. Wyatt gripped the attacking corpse by the hair and pulled it back into his waiting knife, stabbing through matted locks and root encased bone his blade punctured the brain and sent the finally dead man to the ground.

Ralph turned and gathered his focus back while Arlene nocked an arrow and aimed at the encroaching undead. Small squared leaves sputtered from the mouths of the infected as they ravenously groaned and rutted having no other desire than to sink broken teeth into living flesh. He twirled the machete getting into his groove, Ralph rolled his shoulder, he took a few steps back and away from the rest as more shambling corpses came stumbling from the shattered glass of the hardware store front.

Ralph shuffled back, regrouping with his siblings as Arlene stuffed an arrow into another gnashing mouth, Ralph and Wyatt stood diagonal to their sister, just a few feet in front of her, their blades braced as they guarded her reload. Growls, noises they all would never forget, horrified that those guttural, hollow moans and deep feral screeches came from their fellow man, even still it caused the hairs on their bodies to stand on end, a shiver of primal fear demanding them to fight or flee filled them and they dug in their heels ready to fight.

Ralph wasted no time in severing the head of the handless infected, finishing the job he started. Wyatt struck down the next approaching, grabbing at the undead's jacket and pulling to better expose her blood matted head and pierce it through.

Wyatt spun on his feet and used the body in his hold to shield himself from another lunge “Shit!” Wyatt shouted as the sudden tackle sent him to the ground.

Wyatt's breath shuddered as he fought against pawing hands, he was pressed into the concrete and he felt fingers dig all too tightly into to his wrist in an attempt to pin him down “Git-” Wyatt's words cut into a panicked whimper as he tried to knocking the growling corpse away, he kicked against the boots that dug into his leg, he felt the weight of two bodies hold him down, flailing limbs pulled against both Wyatt's and the dead woman's jacket trying to find skin “Git off!” Wyatt exclaimed. Watching teeth grind and crack. Biting in search of flesh.

Arlene took aim, shooting another infected that aimed for Wyatt's shaking foot “ Wy!” Arlene screamed, her eyes flickered to Ralph watching as he took out the legs of a vine stuffed body, snapping back to Wyatt in a near instant, she dropped her bow to the ground without a second thought and ran forward dragging out her weapon and bringing it down over the attacking infected's head, Wyatt sputtered from the blood that splattered against his face, he spat, crawling backwards and out from under the two limp corpses he couldn't take his eyes off of.

Arlene pat his shoulder and forced him to look at her, he blinked, hand patting absentmindedly for his knife “I ain't ever getting' used to this.” he murmured as he grabbed her offered hand and jumped to his feet “Thanks.” before trying to gently shove her aside as he stabbed yet again, he cut along the jaw before slicing his knife back up to finish it off.

They both stumbled back, huffing, hearing Ralph's grunt as he struck down one of two remaining encroaching undead.

Arlene looked around, saw nothing, no more movement and she kept low and got to her bow as quickly as she could, grabbing the shaft and pulling the string up and over her.

Wyatt was relieved his own bow didn't snap in his fall, he stumbled to stand straight, he still felt dazed and out of breath, he looked over at Ralph who stood over his final three kills. He smirked back towards the two of them. “Must be 5'o clock.” he joked, looking down towards the uniformed bodies then back towards the store.

Arlene couldn't muster words as she stared at his back with such contempt. She was seething as she silently moved around Ralph as she fetched every arrow she could salvage, making a point of leaving Ralph's arrow pierced in the undead.

“What?” Ralph called.

Arlene just turned, giving Wyatt a tap of acknowledgment as she stormed passed him. She made a beeline towards a building with a broken neon sign that read 'Rob 'n Bob's bar.' she pushed open the door and disappeared inside.

Wyatt took an awkward step towards the building, pausing, looking back to Ralph as he returned his blade to his hip.

“Finally, we're celebratin'.” Ralph scoffed. Following Arlene forward and towards the bar.

Wyatt quickly grabbed Ralph's arrow before catching up to his siblings.

They entered the dim building, power off the main room was dark. The tables and chairs were strewn about with abandoned bags and possessions left behind from fleeing patrons, the place was desolate. Not even a corpse was left behind.

Directly to the left of the entrance was a short wall, a large squared archway opened to the two bathroom doors, men's room on the left, woman's on the right. The opposite side of the room was lined with plush booths and wall decorations, targets, posters. Toppled furniture led towards the thick wood bar surrounded by soldered down stools.

Arlene was sat there, her fingers tapped against the neck of a bottle, a small shot glass with hardly a puddle at the bottom of it was in front of her. She downed it the moment she heard the door open. Then she slammed the bottle back down “I need to throw up.” she said blankly. Hard stare didn't even look their way before she stormed to the ladies room, melee weapon in hand.

“You okay?” Wyatt asked but she just shook her head as she pushed open the bathroom door. Wyatt nodded, he rubbed his face feeling the swelling take place, he stretched his jaw and winced at the shot of pain.

“What's got'er panties in'a twist?” Ralph asked as he strolled behind the bar, whistling out a 'Woo hoo.' as he looked over the bottles on the shelf, some still looked sealed and it made a smile grow on Ralph's face, one of the first few genuine ones he's shown in some time “Looks like everythin' worked out just our way didn't it?” he said happily, pulling whichever bottled he desired off and lining them up on the bar.

“Just give'er a break Ralph.” Wyatt grumbled as he scanned the room with his flashlight, seeing nothing moving or reacting to their presence. He swallowed the lump in his throat and Wyatt glanced back to the front entrance, he was relieved to see nothing disturbing the closed glass doors. He let himself slump, adrenaline draining from him. Wyatt breathed in deeply as his shoulders fell, lowering his head and blinking tiredly.

“She needs to get back to reality, you all fuckin' do. This is kill or be killed, take them out 'fore they git us.” with a snap of his voice Ralph added a few shorter spirits beside the taller show bottles. Wyatt rolled his eyes before he turned his back, making sure Ralph didn't see. He took a step and moved towards Ralph reluctantly. Wyatt figured his brother would stop listening.

He knew it didn't matter but he spoke anyway “You ain't makin' any friends Ral, seriously, 'n I think you owe Arlene 'a 'pology,” Wyatt added but just as he thought Ralph ignored him. Wyatt sighed.

He was at the bar watching Ralph's back as he read the labels, taking his time to decide which he would take.

Wyatt reached over the counter and snuck a single beer, he figured he'd take one as payment for dealing with Ralph. It had been while, Wyatt hadn't drank since his flask was emptied first day of Benslow's infection and while he didn't have the shakes like his brother did he wasn't going to pass up the chance, who knows when he'll taste some lukewarm local brew again.

The bottle cap cracked open with a fizz and Wyatt just tossed it carelessly to the floor. Searching for anything useful, other than alcohol, which seemed to be the only thing Ralph was stuffing into his bag.

He picked through a few bags, Arlene remained in the bathroom a short time longer, she popped out for a moment to prove she was still alive before heading back to search the rest of the building. Voice frustrated and droning as she shouted “I'm checking the back for water.” before she was gone.

Wyatt was searching a leather satchel and dug out a note book from it, snatching up any pens or stationary he found when his radio buzzed. Wyatt startled, scrambling to grab it and lower the volume but he wasn't fast enough. A voice called from the plastic “Wyatt! You there?” came Cooper's voice, a light drone in it showed the boy was bored “Hello!” he manged to cheer before Wyatt could turn it down.

“What the fuck?” Ralph said with an accusatory tone, he looked down at his own radio which was silent in his pocket. “ 's that Arlene's bitch friends' kid? What's that brats' name, Clyde? Conner?” Ralph said in amusement, the smirk falling from his face before he popped open a smaller bottle and downed near half the thing in a few gulps.

“Cooper?” Wyatt spoke into the radio inadvertently answering his question “You alright? What's goin' on?” his voice came fast and with a bit of anxiousness he tried to hide.

“Yeah I'm okay! What's going on? You find anything cool?” Cooper asked and Wyatt could hear Penelope's whispering voice in the background “Say hi to Bonnie for me! She's with you, right?” he added before stammering “And did you find water?” he asked after clearly bring prompted.

“I told y'all this channel was for 'mergencies only!” Wyatt scolded lowly, trying to stay quiet but sound strong, it came out in an awkward half whisper.

“I was worried.” was Cooper's small reply. And just like that all of Wyatt's frustrations drained from him, replaced with a bit of guilt.

“'m alright.” Wyatt replied quietly “Now swap back and get the radio back to Nancy, 'kay? 'm gonna keep on this channel, call if ya got a' 'mergency got it? A real one.” Wyatt added, he felt Ralph's gaze on the back of his head, he felt the judgment, Wyatt gripped the radio tighter grumbling before he stuffed it back in his pocket.

“Pussy.” Ralph insulted, taking another gulp of a clear alcohol. “Now, I ain't get it.” Ralph spoke bitterly. Stopping. Waiting for Wyatt to reply he stared at him.

“Get what?” Wyatt snapped back, he jerked his head around to shoot him a glare before he moved back to searching for anything useful.

“What's the fuckin' goal there? You spent two years now playin' dad to 'er kid and you ain't even got 'n'er panties yet. Make a fuckin' move lil' bro.” Ralph began packing the bottles away, leaving one out to drink now and again.

“She's Arlene's friend.” Wyatt replied simply and curtly.

“Well Iona's got that big bitch practically glued to 'ya, now that ain't 'cus she's sis' friend, I bet it's 'cus you can't seal the deal for shit.” Ralph

“Will you knock it off 'bout Bonnie? She's just'a nice girl.” Wyatt replied, he lowered his shoulders with a deep exhale “Bro,” Wyatt sighed out his words struggling between exhaustion and anger “I fought wit'ya too many fuckin' times today.” his voice was a frustrated plea as he shook his head “Let's just get this shit done 'n get outta here.” Wyatt ended with a tone that made it clear he was done speaking.

Ralph was grinning ear to ear as he rose the bottle back to his lips.

“Took everything I could find, found some water jugs.” Arlene's voice came from Ralph's radio, however not from Wyatt's. “Coming back now.” she added flatly.

“Here that runt? Seein' as you ain't on our channel.”

“I heard.” Wyatt snapped.

Back towards the sprawling neighborhood the air felt still, stagnant. Despite the gentle breeze that rolled through their hair.

Iona glanced towards the ground, boots treading through tall grass. Grass taller than the neighbor's. She looked back to the door as Bonnie braced herself in front of it.

Iona stood with her crowbar raised ready to hit anything on the other side while Renáta watched their back.

She scanned the tall fence lines, searching, her eyes squinted when she thought she saw something. Sharp, brown. Bobbing. She saw something move, she raised her hand trying to block out the sun's glare “Guys-” her voice was cut off by her own shriek, startling as Bonnie broke in the locked front door. She spun around and swiftly followed them inside.

This house was covered in dust, but the rooms looked mostly untouched at first glance. Bonnie led again, moving through the messy living room, there were plush pastel blocks and blankets set around the child proofed room, Renáta noticed the efforts that were made, covers on the outlets in the hall, then locks on the kitchen cabinets. Following Iona she slowed to a stop when she saw a small set of magnetic letters. Large, rounded and in bright primary colors.

Iona began to open the cabinets, she perked up surprised to see a few decent canned goods behind the expired boxes and bags, but Bonnie wasn't searching like she normally would. She cocked her head looking at Renáta's lost expression.

“You okay?” Bonnie asked softly, reaching out to gently clasp her shoulder.

Renáta jumped, spinning around to face her she forced a wavering smile that failed to meet her bleary eyes. She sniffled, nodding “Yes! I'm, I'm sorry, my niece...” her voice trailed looking back to the magnets briefly “She was on The Bridge.” she added quietly.

“'m so sorry.” Bonnie replied lowering her head solemnly, she gave a gentle rub to her shoulder “If ya need ta talk-” “I'm okay.” Renáta interrupted before looking guilty for doing so.

“Thank you, Bonnie. I'm okay.” she said, forcing another smile before looking back to the fridge “Hold your breath!” she said before pulling it open.

The dairy products had long curdled and molded but Renáta pulled the few bottles of water and flavored fruit drinks that remained inside out and into to her supply bag.

Bonnie joined in and they had the room looted in record time. With fattened packs the three moved towards the side room, it looked like a small crafts room, as they stepped towards the double glass doors Iona glanced towards the stair case.

She stopped in her tracks when she heard the creaking of wood. Her attention snapped to the top of the staircase but she couldn't see anything, no movement, nothing, she almost moved to turn away when the low, drawn out screech crept back into her senses and this time she couldn't ignore it. “Wait.” she called and her companions paused at her word, they glanced her way with brows pinched in worry.

“Stay close, I hear something.” she added as she began to travel up. Low, nearly crawling she moved upwards quietly with the others just as silent behind her, she peeked up, looking around, the hallway was untouched, the walls still held family photos, paintings, there was a single mirror hung up above a small table with a pot filled with bright flowers on it, but what drew all of their attentions was the long, thin, root looking tendrils that spread out of the doorway beside the table, they saw vines loop around the browned plant matter, it ran up the leg of the table and sat unmoving, sneaking back into the open door. Many more vines and roots came from it, spreading across the floor and down the hallway, still as a photograph.

The three woman walked in a tight knit group, near touching they crept towards the door led by Iona with her crowbar at the ready.

She wanted to swallow the dreadful lump in her throat but her mouth was so dry she got no relief, trying to keep focused forward but her gaze kept trailing down to those vines, they put her on edge, small squared leaves just gently waving in the wind their movement made.

Back to the door they all grew looks of horror and disgust.

The walls were painted with light grey and soft yellow stripes, plush animals and brightly colored wall decorations filled what looked to be a lovingly crafted nursery. White wicker furniture was embossed with plant life, long, shifting, faintly slithering.

It all culminated into a massive bustle, large, square leaves grew from tall stalks, thick and a darkening seafoam in color at the base but as the it rose up the color drained into near white before it split into a

beautiful thicket of lively, swaying red flowers with sharp blooming petals reminiscent of of an eight pointed star, an explosion of light crimson which drained into black veins that ran across the soft curve of the corolla, fading down, getting darker towards the blackened sepals. It blossomed from the rottan crib and grew tall, bursting up like a flowing fountain of stems and leaves, wrapped around the long dead fan was plant life that further clung to the ceiling and ran down the walls, some spread across the carpet while others dug down into it, rooting into the frame work of the house itself.

A sudden hot bile built in Renáta's throat as she felt herself grow sick, she stumbled back, hands covering her mouth as her bat fell to the floor.

Iona jerked back when she watched the vine recoil, flinching back and away from the falling bat it moved so quickly, snapping itself back into the nursery so fast she hardly saw it move “Get back!” she barely had time to cry out as gripping tendrils burst from the door frame like a lunging octopus aiming for prey, Bonnie couldn't help but scream in panic as thin vines tightened around her muscled frame.

Her gaze snapped up, still screaming, staring to where the ends of the grasping vines were and she saw the hollowed face of a of a woman, her dry, wiry hair was intertwined with plants that grew from her head like fungus. Moss covered her face, mouth broken, jaw pressed against the floor at an odd angle as small stems emerged from the cracks in skin, twitching, the bulbs that forced their way out of her split lips flowered reveling the same sharp petals that colored the room a sanguine red.

All Bonnie could focus on were the eyes. A dead gloss that switched from indifference to desperation. Bloodshot whites of the eyes were dwarfed by blown out pupils, whatever color her eyes once held were corrupted into a sharp, spiked, iris, pitch black and mimicking the star like shape of those flowers. That hungry gaze locked onto Bonnie as she felt a pull, the vines trying to strong arm her inside she twisted her heel to brace herself.

The dead body moves, her crushed shoulders dragging along the floor as what used to be her arms jerked back, flesh moved as if there was no bone left in her forearms, right after the elbow became so interwoven with plant matter they couldn't tell where infected wounds became thick wooden roots, splitting at the center allowing sets of thin leaf spattered tendrils to draw prey to her stuffed mouth.

The corpses' arms swayed. Whipping vines slapped at them, desperate to grab, seeking, searching for life. “Bonnie!” Iona called as her arms wrapped around her middle, acting in the first way she thought Iona pulled her back, yanking as hard as she could she grit her teeth forcing the vines to stretch, threatening to rip from the force some snapped back like a rubber band while others strained to hold on.

“Git it off! Git it off!” Bonnie screamed, struggling to overpower the pull she jerked her axe in a desperate attempt to cut the rest away.

“Renáta cut the vines!” Iona demanded, eyes locked on the infected woman, her choked growls grew louder as Bonnie's fight intensified “Cut it!” Iona shouted trying to rally Renáta to her feet but her voice was nearly lost as a shriek broke their panicked spat, low, hollow and ever growing the infected Veryin's neck snapped back at an unnatural angle, throat bulging with slithering vines the bone gave no resistance. The call she made was unlike anything they've heard before. A sound horrible and unique to these retched creatures devoid of thought, of feeling.

“Renáta!” she called, the thick soles of her boots squeaked against the wooden floorboards, she felt he shoes hit the door frame as they were dragged across the floor.

Renáta finally found her feet as she threw herself up to stand, she scrambled for the kitchen knife she brought along when another noise called back.

Renáta froze in fear watching their struggle, every fiber of her instinctual being pleaded with her to run and escape. The hair on her body stood alert as a wave of new carnal fear over took her. The bellow that echoed through the town rung through the empty home like a distant hail, the cry sounded inhuman, the drawn out bay trailed with a guttural edge before it finally pittered out. She felt like that noise burrowed into her head and shook her very core, she could have been standing there for hours for all she knew but Iona's cracking voice brought her back. “Cut the fucking vines!” she roared.

Renáta lunged forward, raising the knife as she moved she yelped in surprise when her feet didn't follow her, her knee jerked forward but her boots were wrapped in vines throwing Renáta forward and off her feet.

She swiped her hands forward and the kitchen knife slipped from her fingers, the blade sliced into tender vines and the rest of them recoiled back like they were cut themselves. Iona grunted as she hit the wall and felt Bonnie crash into her chest, the heavy cans in her bag dug into her ribs in a way Iona knew would bruise but she kept down her yelp.

Bonnie lunged forward thoughtlessly when Renáta cried out in pain leaving Iona staring in shock at the defiled bedroom. Renáta held her arm, the bloodied blade slipped to the floor and out of Renáta's reach, Renáta gripped her bicep, a long slice tore into her skin and ripped her dirtied blouse after having accidentally cut herself in the fall.

Severing the tendrils holding Renáta with her axe Bonnie dragged Renáta up and to her feet, stumbling back with her in hand they watched as smaller curling ferns lurked closer, slipping forward like a creature dying of thirst it lapped up the blood, bending back like a cat's tongue it slathered its leaves in the living warmth and shivered.

Renáta looked down to the knife then back to the slack jawed face. They weren't able to focus, no one was, waving vines, drowning leaves, and the face, that woman. What used to be a woman, her sunken eyes rolled back into her head exposing thin needle like tendrils piercing through and following into the tiny veins inside, tinting the whites of her dead eyes green. The undead expelled petals and wilted leaves, clearing room to allow a bellow of inhuman tones, another wailing call.

Iona quickly followed her gaze and muttered “Forget it.” before she moved to pull them all away.

Abandoning the knife as the handle was wrapped in plant matter and dragged into the nursery they ran towards then down the stairs, back on the main floor Bonnie led, hand tight around Renáta's wrist dragging her along right behind her, with Iona taking up the rear.

Bonnie kept her protective hold, glancing back to ensure Iona was still there.

Iona looked up, she felt Bonnie's worried gaze no matter how fleeting it was but she couldn't bring herself to focus on Bonnie's soft visage, instead all she could focus on was the window, that thing. She held back and Bonnie stopped when the third set of footsteps went quiet.

“Don't open the door.” Iona ghosted. Standing still but shaking like a rabbit locking eyes with a fox.

Bonnie skid to a stop just a few feet from the front entrance “What?” she questioned, looking between her and the broken wood.

“Look.” Iona couldn't describe it. She didn't even want to point in fear of what the creature might do. She remained still. Only able to muster a minute nod outside.

Bonnie looked through the front window following Iona's command while she took a step backwards, Renáta was confused, inching away in reverse to avoid bumping into Bonnie. Her brows pinched, shaky breath puffing out against Bonnie's hair the three didn't know what to do.

Outside was a creature, four legs moving slow with its massive head lowered in a prowl. A thick, furred, muscular body was inching towards the home they were in, tall sloping shoulders trembled as the beast moved forward, it looked like it had once been a moose, wide hardy body had been eaten away on one side, the head faced forward, as if it was a predator stalking through tall grass. The matted fur was skinned back revealing bone and sinew across the skeletal jaw, hung just an inch open with flaring nostrils that secreted a green tinted blackened sludge, congealed, thick, dripping down its muzzle and wetting the long beard the trailed down its hairy chin, plants grew from the locks, wiry chin hairs intertwined with vines and sharp edged leaves.

The body was twisted and plagued with rot and foliage. Painful looking welts swelled around growing stems. It looked halfway between a rotting bustle and dying, desperate beast, but those eyes. They held focus, desire, knowing. Looks they rarely saw, Iona swallowed, she stumbled back watching as it walked through a wooden fence like it was nothing more than paper tape.

Behind the undead beast was a gaggle of infected Veryin, different races and ancestry, people of the town or maybe just passerby, they all looked so physically different, slender points to rounded lobes of ears, short blunt teeth to long lower tusks, but no matter how different their skin tone, their hair colors, or facial features were, they all held that same look. Clueless. Lost. Absent. Eyes held no warmth, no understanding, no thought. Mindless as they flocked behind that massive infected moose like aimless chicks soldiering after their mother. Nipping and nudging against one another but focused on their leader, their hen, the bull moose rose its half fleshed face and expelled a blood curdling scream. Grunting, guttural, a blaring noise that grew louder than any old mechanical alarm they've heard of.
Its massive antlers spread large above Its head, tangled with flowers and thin, spindling tendrils of soft fern.

There were over a dozen humanoid corpses trailing after the Moose's hoof falls. They all were focused solely on the beast before them, as if that was the only thing that mattered, marching the path to sustenance, to salvation. Growls, yips, and yelps escaped their throats as they searched for meaty morsels of food. Trying to hunt down and devour the three, and suddenly Bonnie yanked Iona away from the window.

Fleeing back and out of that things' sight line they hid back behind the kitchen wall.

Iona didn't know what to do. Her mind was racing, escape, fight, die, all different options flew by until she closed her eyes tightly. She yanked the radio up to her lips “Arlene!” she shouted into it, a sudden panic in her usually cool voice.

Standing a few feet from the bar Arlene picked up her radio but no matter how quickly she tried to reply Iona's voice came faster “Renáta's hurt we need help!” was her plea.

Jumping up from behind the grocery store counter Arlene looked up at her two brother's, worried expressions shared between them all. Even Ralph.

Then the three sprinted from the front door, running down the desolate streets towards the sprawling neighborhoods.

They wasted absolutely no time preparing themselves, Arlene held her bow low with an arrow in hand ready to fire the moment she saw a target.

In reality it wasn't long but as Arlene sprinted through the small town it felt like decades, the worry scrambling her senses until all she could do was imagine her friends being ripped apart. In reality it took them a short few minutes until they arrived at the main street of the neighborhood.

The trio skid to a stop as they saw a siege taking place, over a dozen infected bodies dragging themselves on broken limbs and half limp twitching roots.

That spore infected moose lifted Its massive head, small, thin sprouts wormed from under the skin as they bloomed into tiny red petaled flowers in unison with the echoing call. The hollow drone blared around them as Arlene snatched up her radio. “We're outside, what is that thing!” she kept her volume low but her tone was a high, shrill, whispering as she scanned the houses “Where are you?” she added almost immediately after.

“Look at that monster.” Ralph huffed, wide eyed and nearly speechless. Wyatt was stunned silent just watching it move.

“What's going on?” Dixie's frantic voice came from the radio but it was almost cut off by Iona, she shouted “Keep coms clear!” as her and her team hid from the encroaching undead “Two story on the right, we're in the kitchen.” Iona added.

Ralph let out a deep breath as he fell backwards a step, he shook his head as the undead inched ever closer to the front door, finally passing the stairs onto a porch. “There's too many, they're fucked.” he said, but was barely heard.

The cacophony of groans and howls that trudged from the throats of corpses sounded loudly, their voices joining in with their mother hen as the moose sputtered and wailed.

“Can you go out the back?” Wyatt asked, falling back into himself and switching the radio station to talk to the group, he turned back, locking his attention on Ralph who took another drink of his stolen booze “We'll distract them.” Wyatt added, eyes dashing back and forth across the horde of bodies and towards the fenced background.

Iona looked towards the end of the kitchen, tucked in the back and blocked by a few dining room chairs was a garden like glass door.

She jerked her head looking towards Bonnie who nodded and quickly got to work clearing the area while Renáta scrambled to block the kitchen entrance however she could “Just a few minutes.” Iona added, then Bonnie let out a quick “Psst!” drawing her attention.

Renáta squeaked, she saw undead closing in. Slamming against the door and walls as others meandered towards the windows. She stacked the kitchen chairs faster.

Iona crept over to her as Bonnie pointed out towards two undead in the backyard, one was trapped in the fence, its plump body thrashing against the broken bottom posts. There were a variety of differently sized ditches dug under spots in the yard assumingly by the residents dog, who was now no where to be seen, the other infect had slipped through before hand, absentmindedly staggering about the growing grass of the backyard. The dead expression on the rotting face of the undead searched for them. Looking back and the other's flailing body.

“There's two in the back,” Iona said into the radio as Bonnie quietly removed the last chair “What's gonna stop that thing from running us down?” Iona shout whispered, ducking down to avoid the sight of the infected, what used to be a woman was blearily scanning the back of the home looking for movement.

Peeking out from their hiding place Wyatt glanced back to his siblings, he was pressed against the fence, Ralph and Arlene just feet from him in the overgrown foliage “You too drunk 'ta hit'ya target?” Wyatt asked as he quickly snatched the bottle from Ralph's hand “Get the legs, we ain't outrunnin' the moose but we can ditch the others.” Wyatt replied, waving for them to move to position and while Arlene nervously did so Ralph sneered, he hated being told what to do and having his little brother give him a command didn't sit well with him, he was about to retort when Wyatt shot him a serious glare and with a scoff Ralph relented. Vanishing as he slipped through the other side of the overgrown bushes.

“Wait for 'a signal, got it?” Wyatt spoke into radio.

“Got it.” Bonnie replied. Fast and to the point.

Wyatt looked back out, the moose had about five humanoid plant bloated corpses circling it like uncoordinated meat shields and Wyatt breathed heavily, waiting, watching, he quickly knelt down and dragged his knife with him. In one quick move he sliced it down across his loose under shirt and began stuffing the top of Ralph's stolen alcohol bottle with the fabric. He put a hand over it and shook, dousing the dirty plaid scraps before he scrambled to find a lighter.

After patting his pocket he yanked the small fire starter from jeans pocket and lit the barely dry edge of engulfed fabric. In short. He made a Molotov.

He watched the fire, how it flickered, licked at the sky and began to devour the rippings at a terrifying speed. He swallowed his nerves and shouted “Fire!”, Arlene and Ralph loosed their arrows and they whizzed through the air, and as they did so did Wyatt. He charged forward following the projectiles, one buried itself in the moose's shoulder while the other stabbed into the exposed bone of Its back knee, it let out a cry. A bellow.

Then suddenly all the infected, those who used to live in this town or died scavenging it twisted. Snapping back towards Wyatt as he hurled the bottle towards the group, the glass exploded across the back of the rotting animal spreading fragments and fire over Its matted fur. It buckled as Its legs gave out from under it, the opposite side bent at odd angles trying to force the massive weight of the half devoured beast up, hoofs dragged against concrete as the shrill noises that left the creature's throat began to spread.

It roared. Wailing as it fell. Lit booze flew in every direction splattering some humanoid infected who hissed in anger. Wyatt snatched the radio back up to his lips “Bonnie, go!” he commanded in a fast, breathy voice.

Iona heard the crashing of glass in the living room as she turned to nod at Bonnie, she was crouched by the white wooden door, axe in hand and face determined.

“Stay quiet and fast, keep close and run like hell when you see Wyatt.” Iona said quietly, looking back towards Renáta drawing her attention.

She sheepishly watched, twisting the crowbar nervously in her hands.

“Ready?” Iona asked and Renáta nodded, turning back to Bonnie she held the doorknob still.

“We can do this.” Bonnie said with a quiet cheer. The moment they heard Wyatt's voice through the radio, nearly drowned out by that cry, Bonnie charged forward slamming the door open wide, she sprinted shoulder first as she threw her weight into the infected's fragile frame, her thick jean jacket darkened from the sudden stain the contact made as the corpse's water logged flesh squished against her. She shuddered, then the infected hit the ground with a displeased growl.

Renáta followed a single step behind Iona as they ran to the fence gate, Bonnie remained behind delivering the killing blow to the fallen body, the twitching vines stilled along side the flailing limbs as she severed head from neck.

Her head jerked up from a sudden shriek, the trapped undead thrashed and wailed, trying to roll, move, anything as swirling tendrils flicked and slithered and hands clawed at flesh, reacting as if it was on fire. Bonnie shook her head and turned back towards the others, the large stones that were used as a path was nearly swallowed in over grown nature, Iona grumbled, fingers shaking as she struggled to unlatch the metal lock.

The second she did Renáta threw open the door, screaming when she saw the half rotted face of a plant infected corpse, Iona was blocked, hardly managing it she drove the crowbar down into it and nearly puked as she scored off the decaying skin of Its lower jaw. Scraping off skin and exposing broken teeth and bone. Renáta yelped in surprised when Iona grabbed her from behind, she startled and tried to jerk away but Iona gently shoved her aside and cut down the infected by slamming the sharp edge of metal into Its festering eye socket.

The thing went limp.

Renáta was pushed forward as Iona and Bonnie fled the yard, grabbing at Renáta's bloodied blouse they dragged her along with them.

In front of them were several more shambling undead careening towards them, they could see the sudden flashes of light from the exploded Molotov watching fire spread across the circling horde, but the only thing they could hear was that moose. Even when Renáta cried out in fear all that reached their ears were hollow tones and inhuman bellows as some infected Veriyn joined in, adding their voices to the focus rending dissonance.

“Wyatt!” Bonnie called in sudden joy. She saw him stagger back after throwing the fiery bomb. Eyes wide as the undead reacted. They screeched, their dry throats bursting with roots.

He looked at her as his sibling's came to his side, without a word Wyatt snatched Ralph's crossbow and shoved them away, the two began to run after Arlene called out for everyone to follow.

The moose's wail was loud, Its legs buckling, struggling and kicking from under the weight of its own collapsed body, it brayed, bucking broken hips and bent knees, raising Its muzzle high a spiraling mass of intertwining and thrashing vines burst from its throat, the flowering red petals twitched and trembled almost as if it was vibrating. The frantic writhing forced the moose's jaws open wide, too wide, the muscles tore to accommodate the mass of dying roots that forced themselves from the now broken jaw like they were trying to flee.

Iona felt the radio buzz but she didn't hear it.

As the undead beast tried and failed to find footing the humanoid undead around it seemed to break, as if they short circuited, they yowled, bodies cracking with deep trembles as they stood shaking in place.

Some began to act as if they were burning themselves, thrashing, striking themselves and rolling about, those that snarled, snapping back into their predatory hunt leapt back away from the fire, limply throwing their arms around trying to deter the flames attack, or that's what the group assumed the strange movements were.

“Move!” Arlene screamed. Finally her voice broke over the undead.

That got the rest of them moving and suddenly the streets were filled with the sound of stomping footsteps, fleeing away form the horde, the undead scrambled over themselves in a way that was almost akin to fear in an attempt to escape the grasping flickers of the raging fire. Fueled all the more furiously with the addition of fresh plant life and decaying flesh as a foul smelling accelerant. Dashing passed Wyatt Bonnie dare not look back. None of them did but Iona, who had to, she wanted to ensure they weren't being followed and she saw those shambling corpses collapsing in every direction she looked forward to lock her gaze on Arlene's back, she just had to follow her, follow the group.

They just had to get back to the cars.

Wyatt cursed himself for wasting the arrow but he shot off another, piercing through the closest undead collapsing it before it could regain its composure, he waited until Renáta passed him by before he began to run, taking up the rear he shouted out “Keep goin'!” as he quickly moved after them.

Rushing down the streets as fast they could they sprinted towards the main road, the cries of the undead were still loud in their ears but they faded, over taken by an even louder noise, a gunshot. Iona stopped in her tracks. Bonnie and Renáta went passed her, hardly noticing she stopped, they shared worried looks but Ralph snapped “That better not been my rifle.” and kept on, he moved faster. Dashing past Arlene.

Iona suddenly felt arms behind her, Wyatt's strength whisked her forward as she was almost carried forward beside him, her wide gaze snapped to him in rage for a mere second, then she eased realizing she wasn't about in be eaten by an undead and allowed herself to be drawn alongside him, she barely heard him whisper “'S gonna be okay.” before he reached down and shouted into the radio “Y'all there?” only for Iona to even quicker grab for her own.

“Hello? Dixie? Dad? What's going on?” she shouted between her deep breaths as they continued to sprint. They got no response.

The moment the front of Iona's cars appeared they heard screaming. Wyatt broke away from the rest of them as he called out “Cooper!” upon seeing his brother, Ralph drove his weapon down cutting into the top of an infected's head like a coconut, ripping it out with a struggle and a sludge of congealed blood.

Wyatt tossed him back his crossbow as he passed him by, expecting him to protect their rear. He caught it with little problem.

Iona saw her mother briefly, her trembling form under her knitted blanket as she hid in the back seat, Irvin however was outside of his open passgenr's door, he was shaking as he held up a pistol aiming towards a few encroaching undead.

Ralph staggered back catching Wyatt's fleeting gaze before he pointed back towards the vans, Wyatt ducked around Iona's car and ran, Bonnie released Renáta and ended up only a step or two behind him.

Renáta looked to Iona, panic and bewilderment on her face it was clear she was dumbstruck, lips twitching as if she couldn't speak. Her eyes begged for direction but Iona could only focus on her parents, she ran passed Renáta who held her weapon in loose fingers watching as the cars in the back became the target of four undead.

“Dad!” Iona shouted as she sprinted to his side, he startled, lowering his aim to look at her she quickly placed a hand over his and lowered the gun further.

“Acorn!” Irvin suddenly snapped back to himself, the distant fog in his gaze clearing as he laid eyes on his daughter's worried expression, he then looked back towards the vans stammering.

“Get in the car, stay with mom!” Iona demanded before following the rest of them. She heard the string of Arlene's bow cracking back as she sent another arrow loose.

Bonnie knocked down an infected blocking the way allowing Wyatt to sprint past her as she raised her axe up high, the van door was shut tight but there were a few figures outside, screaming. Wyatt charged forward shouting out “Get back!” as Ford was yanked down, a corpse grabbed at him, forcing him face first into the street with a cry of pain, gnashing teeth snapped down towards him but just before the jagged fangs tore into his throat Fronie gripped the thing that used to be a woman back, tearing at the straps of her filthy nightgown and her jaw snapped shut, empty, just missing the back of his neck, the undead's body flailed in retaliation, Ford was screaming as he began to crawl away from the bare feet entombed in moss that kicked in protest.

Tears ran down Ella-Mae's face as she swung a metal base ball bat aimlessly. Stumbling back as two infected gunned for her.

Wyatt stabbed into another puss filled eye socket and the undead's head slammed down against the van's headlights almost cracking the thick plastic. There was so many screams, different voices crying out in horror he could even hear a few muffled by the thick car doors, he looked up and saw Dixie in the front seat clutching onto Penelope, her mouth was moving but Wyatt couldn't make out her words as Penelope sobbed, he didn't see Nancy nor Cooper but the windows were dark, he looked back towards the twins and was suddenly shoved into the hood, Wyatt yelped as he felt his leg slam into the tire, he brought up his knife in time to block the snapping jaws of an assaulting undead. “Bonnie!” he cried out, struggling against the massive weight of the offending corpse, the bulging vines that stuffed the bloated stomach of the obese undead pressed into Wyatt's middle and he felt like puking, bare infected skin against his shirt he could feel the tendrils slither like snakes inside the rolling gut of the reanimated corpse. Wyatt swallowed “The kids!” he added as shoved against the creature's mass.

Bonnie followed the shouting until she heard a cry of pain, Fronie was screaming before she managed to reach them.

Bonnie barreled down two infected, slicing through decaying bodies with forceful drags of her axe, her heavy boot slammed into the ear of a crawling body that was attempting to mount Ford, dragging at his jeans trying to bite at him.

Ford was screaming, his hand fumbling to try and paw out the shovel he'd dropped but his eyes were locked on the bugged eyes of the corpse.

Bonnie buried the sharp head of her axe into the nipping infected, she moved to cut down the next when she saw Fronie, she gasped in horror, Fronie was on her back, limbs kicking as her gargled cries filled Bonnie's ears, she saw the blood the poured from a gaping wound in her shoulder as flesh was torn from her body and swallowed by a one armed undead, Ford bellowed, calling out her name until his voice cracked from strain. A second infected, the one she had wrestled away from Ford was back at her in an instant, ripping at her legs as it attempted to claw away her skin, so far protected by her jeans.

Bonnie swung again knocking away the gnashing jaw feasting on her, Bonnie was repeating “Oh gods, oh no,” again and again unable to look away from the look of agony and fear plastering the young girl's expression, Wyatt suddenly snatched the nightgown, yanking the infected he threw the plant riddled body to the side giving Arlene a clear shot on its head.

“Fronie!” Bonnie cried out as Ford just let out a strangled wail. He crawled to Fronie's side as she convulsed, her lips moved as she tried to speak but her eyes ran over her brother's searching for injury, relief hit her face before the pain overtook it again.

“No, no, no no!” Ford's hands aimlessly hovered over her trying to figure out what to do, he didn't even look away when he heard Ella-Mae scream.

Bonnie was on her knees balling up her jacket to shove it against Fronie's wound slowing the bleeding as much as she could, eyes filling with tears she held Fronie's hand and said “You're gonna be okay.” with a wavering smile.

Arlene ran past Wyatt as Ralph dragged the large undead away from him, slaying it without a second thought. Wyatt hardly took a second to catch his breath when Ella-Mae's whimpers hit his ears, he shoved Ralph towards Bonnie with a choked thanks before he ran to the opposite side of the van, on this side he saw the final undead reaching out towards Ella-Mae swinging its hands which she struggled to knock away with her bat.

Her teary eyes met Wyatt's and she pleaded “Help!” with a shaking voice.

Wyatt charged forward and stabbed against the infected before it even managed to look his way. Ella-Mae was crying as she suddenly threw herself into Wyatt's chest after dropping the bat in fear. He startled, patting her shoulder awkwardly, then when Ford screamed again Ella-Mae broke away in an instant to run to him, her mind locking on worries for Fronie, Wyatt turned and trudged after them.

Arlene and Bonnie were frantically trying to stop the bleeding, the van's side door flung open as Nancy covered Cooper's eyes. Nancy swept Cooper away, backing up towards Irvin's car and Dixie swiftly did the same, abandoning the van without seeing Fronie or any of the undead if she could.

“Fronie!” Ella-Mae sobbed falling to her side.

“Get 'er in the car!” Bonnie shouted, with Ford's help dragging up Fronie as she screamed in pain, her hands clung to the bundle of fabric pressed against her trying to find any relief.

“It burns!” she screamed, voice cracking as she kicked her legs accidentally slamming her boot into Bonnie's shoulder.

They laid her over the back seat and Ella-Mae climbed in after her, settling in the back she let Fronie rest her head on her lap as she put more pressure on her wound, Fronie grit her teeth and cried, her fingers digging into Ella-Mae's wrist as she pulled at her, smudging hot blood across her pale peach skin causing. Ella-Mae whimpered. Forcing a smile she then spoke through her tears “It's gonna be okay!” she assured desperately.

Arlene tossed her bow into the van and jumped in, ripping through the back to find a first aid kit.

Iona grabbed Ford's shoulders, he was stood in shock, voice quietly babbling and gaze unfocused, she gave him a strong shake forcing him to make eye contact “Ford!” she called to gain his attention “I need you to drive the van,” but as she spoke Ford shook his head no, Iona responded by nodding yes “For your sister okay? For Fronie, get in there and drive her to safety.” she said blinking the tears from her eyes to put on a strong face, small, fake, twitching smile trying to reach him.

Ford lifelessly nodded before she turned him, aiming him towards the van with a gentle push before she turned to address the other's, Ralph had run off, seeking out any other enemy but all he could hear was the distant braying of a dying moose and the growls from the meandering corpses stumbling from the deeper in the woods. “We gotta move y'all!” he shouted.

“Everyone back to your cars!” Iona commanded, her eye line scanning the woods she saw nothing close enough to attack, running towards her wagon she threw herself into the front seat and revved the engine.

Ruth was gasping, breath heavy and heaving, Irvin was sitting in the back beside her waving his hands at her trying to give her air. She groaned.

Iona waited, Renáta's car drove away first, followed by Dixie's and Nancy's, Iona looked back to her parent's, her own breath heavy “Mom take your meds,” she said looking back towards Ford's car waiting for it move, she looked back, Irvin's face was scrunched in worry, Iona frowned “Where are your meds?” she asked.

“I, I'm fine!” Ruth assured, waving her hand as she attempted to calm her labored breath.

“Dad?” she switched to look back to Irvin “Where are they?” she asked seriously.

Irvin stammered, he looked to Ruth then back to Iona, he then exclaimed watching Ralph's truck and the final car of Ford's driving off, Iona spun her focus back to the road and followed them all. They returned to their line and drove forward, Iona was too frazzled to do anything other than drive. The radio was forgotten, the gun that sat on the seat beside her wasn't given a second thought, all she could hear was her mother panting and the sounds of engines.

They drove. Speeding through the streets of Mallten passing by the smoldering horde and dodging the few remaining stragglers

“What is happening!” Nancy's voice came from the radio, Iona pawed around the seats to grab it, eyes locked on Ford's moving car “Whosoever at point stop at the first safe clearing you see!” Iona shouted into the radio “Arlene's on it but we need a still place to patch Fronie up.” then she spiraled, word vomit pouring from her mouth as she held the talk button down “What in the hells happened? Why didn't anyone contact us? Why did they get out of the car? We told you all to stay put and call us!” her voice viciously screamed “Nancy? Dixie? Why the fuck didn't you stop them!” almost the instant those words left her throat Dixie's voice blared from the radio nearly talking over her.

“I was keeping Penelope safe! We should never have sent so many into town!”

“Stop bitchin'!” Wyatt shouted shutting the both of them up “This ain't gettin' us no where, shut the fuck up and we'll fix this shit when we regroup.” he snapped, voice shaking and uneven. Controlling the emotion from his tone best he could his voice just came out low and choked.

The roads looked the same as the previous weeks, long stretches of barely paved streets entombed on every side by thick foliage and a continuous rolling fog. Nothing looked different, it all looked the same, it was driving them crazy.

They drove for a short time, no one was keeping count, Iona only knew they were slowing to a stop when Ford's car pulled to the side of the road beside the other's as they stopped.

They pulled off into a wild field, trying to park the larger cars closer to the treeline to keep the smaller close together they all came to a fevered stop.

Iona threw herself out of the car and ran towards the van's side door, she pulled it open and was assaulted by the sound of Fronie, Ella-Mae, and Ford sobbing. Arlene's back was immediately in front of her, she was hovering over Fronie doing her best on her neck, she poured antibacterial peroxide over it causing her to scream out in pain.

“I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!” Arlene exclaimed, fighting off the tears in her own eyes. Ella-Mae was silently crying, chest heaving as she stroked Fronie's orange hair. “It's gonna be okay!” Arlene hushed, trying to assure them both. Her forced half smile wavered as she watched Fronie's face further twist in agony.

Arlene craned her head back, feeling Iona press beside her to see Fronie. Placing a hand on Arlene's shoulder. Arlene leaned into Iona's ear to whisper “The bite isn't too deep but I'm worried... Wyatt would get infections all the time just getting bit by the dogs! Who knows what those things carry in their mouths.” her voice was swapping between loud and quiet, trying to keep her focus on patching the injury and keeping her voice down to make sure Fronie didn't hear her, then suddenly Wyatt was behind Iona, almost pushing past her to get closer to his sister, he worriedly looked over the lot of them before settling his attention on Arlene.

“She okay?” he asked but his voice was quiet compared to Fronie's cries.

Too focused on Fronie Arlene was stammering, unable to reply, then “Wyatt.” Iona suddenly spoke, she spun around to grab his shoulder and pushed him back, which caused his face to screw “Take Bonnie and check the woods. We are not getting snuck up on again.” she demanded harshly.

“But-” his voice was cut off as Iona shouted “Now!” over him.

His expression fell, teeth grinding together as he snapped his mouth shut. He turned, shaking his head he moved to find Bonnie.

Iona didn't spare him a second glance and instead squeezed past Arlene and into the van, moving to help tend to Fronie.

Wyatt stormed off, approaching his truck as the rest of the group began to appear from their vehicles. He passed the open driver's door where Ralph was and shuffled about in the flatbed, he was mumbling to himself, cursing probably, he snatched a few spare arrows from the back. He spun around, moving right back the same path he came but stopped at the door, he shot a look to Ralph, hardly turning his head as he spoke “Keep a good fuckin' watch.” Wyatt snapped at Ralph, who was sat in the driver's seat trying to light a cigarette.

Ralph scoffed “Whatever.” as Wyatt turned back. Wyatt saw the gaggle of people hovering back trying to look into the van, see how Fronie is doing, he saw Bonnie was with them frantically talking to the rest of the group, Nancy covered her mouth as she put a hand on Bonnie's bicep. Dixie and Penelope were noticeable absent.

A smaller figure broke out of the crowd, Cooper charged forward and until he slammed against Wyatt's side, nearly knocking the two over “Wyatt!” Cooper exclaimed as his eyes remained fixated on the van “What's going on! No ones talking to me!” he added unhappily. Voice cracking.

“You okay?” he asked, ruffling Cooper's hair absentmindedly as he gently pushed him back, Wyatt he kept forward towards Bonnie. Cooper dropped his arms as Wyatt moved past him.

Cooper pouted “I'm fine, but, Wyatt?” he called again but Wyatt didn't stop, a few feet from Cooper Wyatt got to the small gather and Bonnie's shoulder.

She spun around with a start before easing back quickly “Whut?” Bonnie asked. Brow pinching together when she saw his bruising face, but she knew better than to bring it up. Instead she glanced around at the people surrounding them rather than draw attention. Trying not to stare.

“Iona wants us to secure the woods.” his voice came harshly “Now.” he added with a mocking tone.

Bonnie stammered gesturing around to the general chaos around their camp, unable to come up with proper words. Wyatt shrugged, sighing out his frustrations “Gotta make sure nothin's in the woods.” he added “C'mon.” and with that Bonnie just gave a sigh of her own and followed him, quickly retrieving her axe, and returning Wyatt's bow before hand. Shrugging his shoulder to secure his bow strap, easing it back into place. He felt more natural with it, relieved to have it back.

With a final look back to the camp Bonnie and Wyatt snuck into the tree line. Fading into the fog and bustling plant life.

The woods were a complete contrast to the camp, the thin trees were still as a picture and silent as a painting.

The twigs crunched under foot as they began to scour for any signs of movement. Bonnie kept her eyes up, she was the look out, the scout. Eyes and ears open to any potential threat while Wyatt poured all of his focus into the dirt, searching for minute disturbances and signs of faded tracks, it was difficult to tell if fallen branches or bald spots in moss were natural occurrences or because some thing passed by.

Even still Wyatt's eyes searched.

Bonnie's eyes scanned the picturesque foliage around them. They sunk deeper onto into the ever encompassing forest until nothing but the woods surrounded them. So far no sign of anything. No life, or unlife. Not even a chirping bird or the buzz of an insect, a shudder ran down Bonnie's spine before her head snapped up.

“Hush.” Bonnie shushed and her and Wyatt went still. Silent. Scanning the treeline they could hardly make out a few feet from the fog, more thin trunks and wild crop, Bonnie's eyes darted to the left, then right. Then she focused north drawn by a snapping twig. Noise.

Something was moving out in the pines.

Wyatt joined Bonnie's side before she had time to look his way, his bow was lowered but his fingers held steady on the string, arrow notched and ready to be pulled back. They locked eyes and Bonnie briefly nodded forward.

Wyatt knew what she meant and immediately stalked to the side, she broke off and moved to the left while Wyatt moved to the right, Bonnie held her axe ready. The two encircled the noise, shuffling in the leaves, until they heard a voice.

What sounded like a fall came first then a man's deep voice growled “Fuck!” with a pained grunt. Bonnie and Wyatt crept closer, staying low and prowling, hunting closer like wolves.

Wyatt peeked up briefly and saw Bonnie ready across from him, then the two leapt forward.

Bonnie slammed her boot forward first, forcefully knocking the stranger down in a way she hoped wouldn't hurt too bad. The man yelped out a curse as he hit the ground face first.

Wyatt circled around bow drawn until he made it to the man's face, aiming the arrow at his lowered head.

“Who are'ya!” Bonnie demanded with a low tone, keeping her voice quiet but commanding. Then her eyes darted to something shiny, a gun. The small revolver fell a few feet from the man's hand and with a jerk of her head she drew Wyatt's attention to it.

Keeping his eyes trained on him Wyatt knelt down and picked up the revolver, stuffing it in the back of his pants before quickly aiming back at him. The stranger slowly sat up, arms raised in defeat. Now the man sat on his knees, dropping his hands flat against his legs.

“Answer 'er.” Wyatt huffed, pulling the arrow back just an inch for intimidation.

Which seemed to work, sighing deeply the outside raised his head. Finally looking up his face was exhausted and paled, short brown hair was peppered with grey strands, light stubble ran across his squared jaw and his bagged light steel colored eyes shifted between the two, Bonnie kept behind him, letting him feel her looming presence. Forcing him to pay attention to Wyatt with a sneer.

The men's eyes met. Then Wyatt blinked. Slowly he lowered his bow as his head cocked in confusion “Dominic?” Wyatt called which made the stranger inch back in surprise “Dominic Decker?” he finished growing a faint smirk.

“How do you know me?” the outsider, Dominic, growled in reply.

“I was at yer weddin'.” Wyatt said in amusement, fully lowering his weapon as Bonnie did the same, sharing the look of bewilderment Dominic wore.

0