Chapter 43 -Tribulation- II
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 43 TRIBULATION (2)

 

   “Secretary Ana, what is this about?” I questioned, confused, of the images that were being projected. 

 

   Everyone in the room didn’t say anything, they only kept on looking at the information that the folders contained. Information that was considered “Classified”. Ana didn’t answer my question right away, no, she waited for me to open the folder and to read the information myself. Almost like she was telling me to read before saying something that was in front of me. 

 

   There were ten single papers with writing that filled the top and bottom, back and front. On top of those papers were small squared pictures or people, each different in age and description. It had their names, their family’s names along with their hobbies and many more things that even I found creepy. 

 

   -Oliver Hend, thirty-two year old man. Parents are deceased and have no lover. Living alone in the central city of Zery. It is very close to the capital of Oskon. 

 

   -Monica Massey, twenty-one year old woman. Parents status is unknown. Lover: unknown. Living alone in the central city of Zery. Once again, very close to the capital of Oskon. 

 

   -Sentinel Adams, forty-five year old man. Parents were killed by their one and only son. Lover: none. Living currently in the central capital of Oskon. 

 

   -Sophia Riggs, twenty-eight year old woman. Parent status: Alive. Lover: Daniel Riggs, having one child together Chris Riggs, ten years old. Living in the capital of Oskon but frequently visits Pleoca. Reasons: unknown. 

 

   -Lois Hass, nineteen year old woman. Parents status: Alive. Lover: none. Currently goes to college. Living in the outskirts of Oskon. 

 

   Something seemed off about this, though it has information about their ways of living. It never has described the way they look like in the picture that were provided with. Looking back at the pictures, I noticed that each one of them had names in the back. Names that corresponded with each of the five individuals that information was in the “Classified” paper. 

 

   I was confused, why would the High-Commission collect data about these people? What is the High-Commission trying to gain by doing this, are they part of a terrorist group? The more thinking I put into it, the more questions appeared than answers. Every corner that I turned, more problems spawned.  

 

   “Lady Ana, I don’t seem to be catching up with what you are trying to say here. If you may, can you explain the reason why High-Commission is doing this in the first place?” Announced General Charles. 

 

   A quick glance at everyone aside from Secretary Ana, we had all been confused at the sudden info drop. 

 

   The Secretary let out a sigh, “You are right General Charles, my mistakes everyone.” Ana took a step aside from the top table and scrolled to the next presentation slide. In that slide, were the pictures of the five people from the folder but in a different place from the ones in the folder. 

 

   She then continued, “These five people are under suspicion of trying to initiate the war between Oskon and Pleoca. Pleoca had recently been on par with Oskon when it came to strength but not armies. The High-Commission has decided to keep an eye on these particular people, their reasons are a bit unbelievable.” 

 

   I spoke next. 

 

   “What do you mean by ‘Unbelievable’, Lady Ana?”

 

   “The High-Commission thinks that these five people are anomalies in this world. To put it in simple words, these five people are not human.” 

 

   “‘Not human’? What makes them think that, Lady Ana?” Said Lady Amelia, not fazed by the comment that the secretary left on us. 

 

   Ana changed the slide to another slide, containing five video footage. Without a word, Secretary Ana played them while stepping away from the light. 

 

   The videos each were from a camera that was put on helmets of the soldiers during the war, but the thing here is that there was no war between any country during these past years. Unless… 

 

   I kept watching the videos, with all the attention I needed to put and figure this out. In every one of them appeared the five individuals from the folder. Unleashing such phenomenon power towards the soldiers that were recording, from killing a couple of the troops to destroying entire camps were battalions resided. 

 

   It ended… The footage that was played and watched with doubt left all of us speechless. 

 

   Just what in god's name did I watch? There wasn’t a simple way of putting into words what the videos footage had, it was just hell itself. 

 

   “My apologies if these videos were too strong for some, but this is the only evidence we have that these people have supernatural powers that go against the laws of humans.” The secretary bowed as she spoke. “But now that you’ve seen it, you now know what is going on right now.”

 

   General Charles was next to speak, though his tone was a bit different from his calming one. “So what does the High-Commission want us to do about this? To me it seems like they have been hiding this tribulation and information from us since the beginning, and now they want us to clean this mess?!” 

 

   The general was right, the High-Commission had been investigating these abnormalities for quite some time before revealing this information. Though something does not sit right here, if there are people with superpowers out there, how come there hasn't been anything announced yet? There must be a reason why these people have powers and are using them against Oskon. 

 

   Yet, many questions still lie on the floor to even begin to look for the answer right away–even when there is a war around the corner. 

 

   Glancing between everyone in the room, it appeared that I wasn’t the only one with questions or concerns about this ‘case’. Whatever had happened, the High-Commission has let it get out of hand and now places the responsibility towards us. It’s like we are being framed or hell, thrown into a bottomless pit with no tools to get up.

 

   “Why us?” Asked, Julian Hart. 

 

   Ana lowered her eyelids before speaking, “The reason is simple, the High-Commission thinks that the heroes that help this nation are more than capable of stopping one more war. No matter the threat.” 

 

   I raised my right hand, causing her to switch her focus towards me. “If that is the case why is General Charles and I here? I mean I get why the general is here but not me.” 

 

   The secretary gazed at general Charles, almost like she was telling him who was going to speak up to clear this misunderstanding. At least that's what I was thinking. 

 

   “Listen… um Ethan. The reason why you are in this is because your role from here on out is going to be crucial.” 

 

   Crucial? ‘My role from here on out’? I put a hand up, signaling the general that I wasn’t getting what he was saying. “Ah, General. What are you talking about? It’s clear that my role from here on out would be a low-ranked soldier until I've done something important that would cross the higher-ups’ mind before thinking of promoting me.” 

 

   Even though it sounds ridiculous, that’s how things worked here in the military for commoners like me with a soft background. I didn’t mind at all being a low-ranked soldier for the rest of my life if it meant that I could keep on helping people. 

 

   General Charles had a puzzled face, but he let out a tired sigh. “Ethan, like I said before. I’m going to retire after this ‘war’ is settled, meaning if I retire I have to choose a successor for the role I'm giving up.” Still not being able to follow what the general was talking about, I decided to open my mouth, the second the words were about to leave my mouth, the general just talked over it. “The higher-ups gave me a list of people who they think are worthy of such a position but I already chose someone.” 

 

   He paused for a couple of seconds, in those seconds he only stared at me. 

 

   “Ethan, the one I chose was you.” 

 

   I was speechless. Me a General? I shook my head in disbelief, this can’t be right. Ah I know, it must be a joke right? The general must be playing a prank on me… but the general is known for being serious. 

 

   “May I ask why, General?” I questioned. “So even if you have doubts or should I say questions? But you are not aware of your own kindness. Helping those in need even if you don’t get nothing out of it, being the hardest working soldier out of anyone I’ve seen so far. Something that every other candidate that the higher-ups gave me lacked.” 

 

   “But if you don’t want the role then I will choose someone else–though I doubt I can find someone like you.” He wasn’t looking at me anymore, his eyes swept across the information that the secretary had given before. 

 

   Can I really take an important role like that? 

 

   Am I even capable of doing it?

 

   Am I worthy of it? 

 

   Questions and more questions arrived in my mind, causing my awareness of the moment to forget. Only focusing on the questions and in my capability. While my heart said yes, my mind said no. 

 

   The more I thought about it, the more veiled it became. I couldn’t take on this role, but if I did, I could help even more people in need. It became a dilemma towards myself, the indecisiveness was eating over me like a deadly and slow plague. 

 

   But in the end I came to a decision. 

CHARLOTTE BAMFORD 

   “Heaven’s Wrath” 

 

   The only magic spell that every Tri-elemental has in common. Mixing all three affinities, Earth, Water, and Wind. Turning it into a deadly spell, killing almost everything in its path. Its circle tri-colored orb sucked in the mana from me and in the atmosphere, my control over it was not perfect but it was acceptable. I was capable enough to not let it go rogue and let it obliterate everything. 

 

   “Now let me see how you Drakons cry in despair.” 

 

   “Release” 

 

   The magic spell cried out in an otherworldly sound as it began its destruction towards its environment. The mana beast ran for their lives when they saw how the gigantic Drakon’s body was eradicated from existence, the only thing that was left was its disgusting head that gushed out purple blood. 

 

   It felt good knowing that I made a Drakon bleed with my own power. However there was a downside to it. It requires every bit of mana that the user has. 

 

   The multicolored orb suddenly exploded, reaching to where my team and I were. Is this the end of my life? I thought as the explosion radius was already meters away from me. 

 

   Yet, a silhouette appeared in front of me. The silhouette was holding a shield, around the silhouette there was an aura that spread like a dome, protecting the rest while protecting me too. I felt a smile appear in my face, “You are late, idiot.” 

 

   “Sure am, princess.” 

 

   Turning his head along with his concentration, stopping the explosion to harm any of the team members with the role he was given since he joined the adventurers guild. 

0