Chapter 46 -Celestial Chains-
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 46 -CELESTIAL CHAINS-

 

MICHAEL 

 

   My attack with Divine mana connected and hit the Angel Of Death, sending him flying backwards and hitting the wall behind him. He was distracted, his attention laid somewhere else.

 

   Did he not truly value our duel like a true Angel? Does he think that I am too weak to even make him use his powers fully? 

 

   I let out my anger in the air as my aura, Sammael’s facial expression told me what I wanted to know. 

 

   He truly regretted not being able to see me as an opponent and underestimated me and my potential as an Angel. 

 

   “Is that all you got?” I said l, flying closer to where he was. His Angel wings were already damaged, but he still was levitating, a magical spell? I thought. 

 

   Everyone below us saw how injured the Angel Of Death was, and rumors began to spread around. The murmurs of the people started to fill the silent room, neither I nor he were able to do something about it.

 

   “The Angel of Death is pretty weak if you ask me.” 

 

   “His arrogance brought him to his own death.”

 

   “So much for such nonsense.” 

 

   As the Angels talked, my eyes were only able to stare at them as a crowd. But Sammael's eyes did not look at them, not even once. 

 

   His blue eyes closed for many seconds, lowering his head while covering it with his hair.

 

   The aura around him changed along with his sword. The Holy Divine aura that surrounded him at first was gone, instead the aura that replaced the Holy one was much more sinister than a demon. 

 

   A dark black aura rippled across the room, then everyone felt the aura with pressure. The room then once again became louder as the Angels began to evacuate the flying temple. Only a few people stayed. 

 

   Igniting once more the Divine spell that I had hit Sammael with, one word left his mouth. 

 

   “…no”

 

   His eyes still closed and his face was covered with his own hair. 

 

   “No, what?”

 

   I said, frowning, thinking about how this angel was still able to speak while being hit with my most powerful spell. 

 

   He struggled to move out of the crater he was in, moving his arms slowly as he gasped for air. 

 

   “No…longer…” 

 

   Word by word, he began to trail off as soon as one left. Like he was hesitating in saying whatever he had in mind, as if it was his mind that decided to speak instead of his heart. 

 

   Nonetheless, I took this as an insult. With no longer wanting to hear his weakened words or phrases I activated the Divine spell but this time injecting more Divine mana into it. Sure, the flying temple would be destroyed in the process, but it was a sacrifice I had to do to eliminate this threat that may destroy our hierarchy. For the Angel God. For the Princesses. 

 

   I thrusted my hand forward, commanding the Divine spell to obliterate my target. Though he was strong enough to make me use my second phase, he isn’t strong enough to come out of this alive after not only having no mana core but to also use an Elemental craftsmanship as a source to mana.

 

   Well, no matter, he will no longer be alive in a second so there is no reason to cry about spoiled milk, I thought, turning my back to the attack while looking at the people who stayed.

 

   “Cry about spoiled milk, huh? What a load of nonsense you are saying but you should know better than anyone that you shouldn’t turn your back against your enemy when their status is unknown.” 

 

   Instinctively turning around to find the person who I thought wasn’t strong enough to avoid this attack, much less come out undamaged, stood in front of me with no injuries whatsoever.

 

   But ‘cry about spoiled milk’? Does he have a mind reading spell? 

 

   In that instance, he moved faster and swiftly. Almost like he was an entirely different person! His hair was longer with the same color but his eyes and aura, even his speech, were different, even his wings changed to black.

 

   I couldn’t help but to think, who is this person? Is this really The Angel Of Death, Sammael? The Angel whom I just had faced minutes ago?

 

   My sword cried, shaking in my hands like it was telling me to fight this battle. I was hesitant to do so, it only does this when I fight demons so why would it react like this? 

 

   There was only one answer. He was a demon who disguised himself as an Angel on orders from the Demon King. 

 

   A war. 

 

   But I won’t get answers just by standing here, I will have to get them right off his mouth whether he is or not. Yet my second phase seems to be running low on mana, will I be able to finish this battle before I run out of Divine mana too?

 

   Only one way to find out. 

 

   Without hesitation, I ignited my sword in a holy spell. Acquiring the Divine mana to pass from my core to my weapon, unleashing its true ability.

 

   “Divine Judgement.”

 

   Then I rushed forward, attacking with a swing directly aimed at his head. 

 

   My eyes opened fully, the moment my sacred blade was about to touch his neck he disappeared. 

 

   “Not bad, not bad at all, now I can see why he was losing to you. But truth to be told, he was holding back like always.” 

 

   Behind me?!

 

   Half-turned face, I was only able to see what he was doing while talking. Facing down at the ones that stayed, holding his chin like he was planning something. 

 

   His importance wasn’t in this place but in his mind, did this battle not mean a single thing to him? If so, I have to once again remind him of my strength. 

 

   I unleashed my heart, mana core, and power. If I wanted to end this, it had to be with this one shot. Putting it all in my weapon that I trusted as a partner, one that’s been with me for countless years and battles.

 

   “Cluster Lash.”

 

   Flying to the top of the temple then going back down at full speed and force, being only a few meters away from him I held my sword above my head before turning it over into the top of his head.

 

   “Void Bending.”

 

   The Divine mana around me vanished the moment those words came to an end. My second phase, my attack, my authority.

 

   Sammael then grabbed my weapon’s blade, pulled it towards him and to the side before kneeing my stomach and throwing me to the ground below us. 

 

   “S-such strength…”

 

   My complete control over my second phase vanished, being unable to use it. I was back to my three-halo form, back to mana. I couldn’t use mana, not now at least, my regeneration abilities didn’t work out. 

 

   I tried to get off my back, but it seemed impossible to do so in such a state I was, I was close to overdriving my core to the point where I would lose control over my body. No, I think I did at one point. 

 

   Out of the few people who stayed, Marshal Klyde and Marshal Gabriel were already running to where I was.

 

   “Star Michael, are you okay?!” Both said, chanting healing words into form. 

 

   The light of green enveloped my body and it felt like my fatigue had been lifted from my body.

 

   My eyes scanned the other people who were here too. It was the party that was described in the report, surrounding the girl with horns in between a yellowish dome. 

 

   The dragon general: Chuzeoth. The two Millguards: Pearl and Eugene. The demon girl—who’s name I still didn’t know, that’s not the case, I just didn’t feel like remembering a name from a demon.

 

   They all—aside from the demon girl—were staring at the Angel Of Death. Eyes that desperately sought a hope of something, something that they thought was a lie. 

 

   Moments later, Sammael landed a few feet away from me, next to where his party was but not close either. In my eyes it looked like he was distant from them, yet looking at their faces it seemed that I was right. 

 

   Sammael took one step forwards, then another step slowly like he was installing fear into those who were around him, seemingly to make his presence known. 

 

   Is his magical powers infinite? I thought, thinking that I would have to fight again. 

 

   My status right now was in no way of choice for another fight that required magically changing every moment to overpower one another. 

 

   Dammit. I can’t stand up right now. Barely even able to stay awake with all this stress going on right now. 

 

   “Don’t worry Star Michael, we Marshals shall protect you!” Said Klyde standing in front of me with his unsheathed sword. 

 

   Next to do the same was Gabriel. “Even though the ceremony for my promotion rank is next week, I still can’t let our strongest Star die when our God is gone.” 

 

   The two Marshals then let out their breath before unleashing their magical powers, readying their stance as the Angel approached without hesitation.

 

   Both then proceeded to take their powers and use them to attack the Angel, dashing away with their wings and weapons. 

 

   I opened my mouth to warn them, but it was too late, the two Marshals had already been in the Angel of Death’s perimeter, a deadly force then pushed them away into different directions. He’s trying to fight them separately. 

 

   Gabriel seemed to have taken this into account that he gave a nod to Klyde before heading headfirst into the Angel’s range, Klyde stayed away from his opponent's senses and instead focused on finding his weak points. 

 

   The auburn curly hair Angel attacked the Angel of Death with a variety of moves, including ones that even I couldn’t resist against. However, Sammael didn’t block them but instead used them as an option to lure the other Angel. Klyde rushed, aiming for his back while Sammael was distracted by Gabriel's rapid attempts at attacking. 

 

   Klyde’s flank was avoided as the Angel of Death moved to the right side to make Gabriel’s rapid attack land on Klyde. 

 

   The curly haired Angel managed to stop his attacks from reaching Klyde, but Sammael was already attacking them by kicking both back to where I was, Klyde couldn’t block the kick, resulting in him being forced into the ground while Gabriel being a few feet away from him. 

 

   “Ohh, that’s good, you managed to block my kick. Interesting, yes, interesting!” 

 

   Sammael said with brimming enthusiasm that made me think that he was a battle-junkie. A smile appeared in his face that reached his crimson eyes, but then changed quickly into a rather dark expression.

 

   “But that won’t be enough to keep me from killing all of you, but not to worry there’s a reason for your noble sacrifice. After all, if you all die, Alter will fall into a deep despair and I will give him false hope, manipulating him to my liking.” 

 

   W-What!? 

 

   Just what is he saying…Alter…false hope…manipulating him to his liking? 

 

   In that instance, Gabriel once again dashed forward, holding his sword high above his head to strike down his foe. Closing the gap between them in a second, Gabriel put his attack into work. Fast action and movement not letting Sammael–or whoever he was–into only dodging while forcefully having to parry some attacks. 

 

   The Angel Of Death let out an annoyed expression, his brows went forward with his gritted teeth. He then spoke, “Your attacks are getting annoying Marshal, but that is all. There is no strength behind them but only hypocrisy.” The authority that came out with his words didn’t seem like those of an amateur, they were genuine. 

 

   Gabriel was in shock; Sammael’s words had hit him like none other. It didn’t just bounce off like they normally would. Instead, those words crashed deep down into his heart leaving a hint of doubt and guilt. 

 

   I cursed in my mind, seeing as the Marshal wasn’t attacking anymore but only stood there like he was frozen. A wide and menacing grin spread across the Angel Of Death’s face, his blood-colored eyes had killing intent in them and would kill without hesitation. 

 

   Move! Move now! 

 

   I told my body, pleading that it would answer my call. It needed to answer it, my companion was about to die here and because of my own unfinished battle and selfishness. If only I could access my powers, if only I could tap into mana once more. But it was futile, whatever the spell that was casted on me earlier has left me with no access to my magical powers. 

 

   A dark purple blade appeared on Sammael’s right hand, complementing his black wings. The cutting edge and the tip of the sword had gray symbols, the hilt of the sword was a dragon's horn colored gray as well. 

 

   The orange symbolic outlines that were on his dark gray coat lit up, the atmospheric force swirled around him like a typhoon. He’s unstoppable now.

 

   “Celestial Chains” 

 

   Golden chains broke free from the ground and wrapped around Sammael’s arms and torso. These chains…could it be!? The golden chains brought down the Angel Of Death making him seem like he was up for execution. 

 

   Sammael’s awareness backed off from Gabriel to the Golden Chains that pulled him down to his knees, something that even I–the strongest out of the rest of the Star-ranked Angels–couldn’t even do with all my power. 

 

   Nevertheless, I didn’t doubt the user identity at all. Since there are only three Angels that could use this magical power, now only one remains at this moment. I only watched how the Angel Of Death struggled as hard as possible to unbind himself from the Chains, Holy Chains. Being bind by these Chains meant your life was spent in eternity with them, whether you successfully lifted them from the user’s body or had cut them, they would always be part of you like an extra part of your body. 

 

   I felt a hand on my left shoulder, it was Klyde. He was a disaster; his face was covered with blood and dirt. “Marshal Klyde, you seemed to have gotten the edge of the stick,” I said with a small laugh. 

 

   Klyde looked at me with widened eyes of disbelief, he scoffed and said, “Star Michael, I would never have thought I would see the day where you laughed.” 

 

    I stiffened. Has he–has everyone felt like this when they saw me? Though I was always a person who would take their duty seriously, for him to say that he would’ve never seen me laugh is completely…

 

   The relaxing feeling spread all over my body, my eyes closed, and I sighed. 

 

   Then a horrifying roar sounded and echoed in the temple, everyone’s attention even Gabriel’s who was still in shock sweated with fear. Anger, hatred, hostility, loathing. ominous feelings pulled apart, tearing cracks in the pillars and on the grounds below us. 

 

   “HOW DARE YOU! HOW DARE YOU BIND ME WITH THIS CELESTIAL CHAINS! I SWEAR IN MY NAME, I WILL KILL YOU! YOU HEAR ME, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU! I WILL HAVE YOU AT MY FEET BEGGING FOR MERCY!”

 

   At that moment, the dragon general Chuzeoth appeared behind Sammael and knocked him out cold. The dragon’s eyes were filled with disbelief and rejection of the situation, grabbing the unconscious Angel as he fell weakened.

0