Chapter 11
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Belili, come,” Saras called, waiving her closer. “You should take the wagon, too.”

“The slave can walk,” a harsh voice barked. “There is barely enough space for healer Gulan and the magus.”

Blinking away the fogginess that clouded her mind, Belili turned her head from left to right. There were horses and men carrying weapons standing around them. Have we been caught? She was so tired; she couldn’t remember where they had come from. 

“I do not think she can make it any further,” Gulan said in a conciliatory tone. “I agree, the boy can walk. But why not let the girl take the wagon and I ride behind one of your men? I have seen it done before.” 

A man with a black beard and hard eyes shook his head. “Impossible. The messenger reported that there are Epi-khmet in our lands and now you say they already attacked Zabu’s farm.” He gestured toward the far distance with his left, while his right rested on the head of the axe he carried on his belt. “I was ordered to take my men out there and find them.” 

Not having to walk anymore sounded good to Belili. I hope the adults make up their minds soon. Standing still, it is hard to stay awake. 

“Do you think you brought enough men to fight them?” the healer asked. 

“We could only find horses for eight,” the bearded man said. “If there are too many for us to handle, we will turn back and report. Anyway, the elders made clear that bringing you back was most important. The slaves can walk. If they fall behind, so be it.”

Master Jas’ar cleared his throat from inside the wagon. Laying on his back, he was hidden behind the side, but everybody still fell silent immediately. 

“The girl,” he said tiredly, “is my apprentice. I wish her to stay at my side.”

All eyes suddenly turned on Belili, who had trouble comprehending what was happening around her. 

Healer Gulan was the first to regain his bearing. “Then I shall walk. It is not too far now. I wish you good fortune out there chief. May the gods be with you.”

“…and with you.” The bearded man seemed irritated but didn’t argue further. Instead, he climbed on his horse and ordered his men to follow. The riders turned their mounts and off they went. 

Riding must be difficult, Belili thought, while Saras helped her onto the wagon. She didn’t know much about horses but some of the men had looked very nervous, clinging on to their beasts. 

“Lay down and sleep,” Saras said. “We should reach Urk in an hour or so.”

“When we arrive, I will have you stay at my house,” the healer said. 

The fog returning, Belili barely took note of their words.

‘Bread again? How about some warm meat? The last feast day was weeks ago.’ 

Belili didn’t recognize the voice but something about it was familiar. Who makes loud slurping sounds like that? I cannot remember.

‘At least the beer is good. I really wish to taste that red drink again that those Northerners brought fifteen summers ago.’

While the voice rang clear in Belili’s mind, her own thoughts were sluggish. The more she tried to focus the weirder she felt. Maybe I am still asleep? She had experienced this a few times before. It was a strange thing to notice and always seemed to happen close to dawn. 

‘Who is there?’

Belili was startled by the sudden question. Can the voice hear me think?

‘Of course, I can hear you. We are the only ones here. Where are you? This is my domain, understand?’

There was a note of aggression in the voice that frightened Belili. I…I do not know where I am. I think I am asleep.

‘What nonsense is this? You better leave before I find you.’

The flapping of a bird’s wings echoed through the darkness of Belili’s dream. I must run, she thought. But how do I flee in a dream? Once she had asked herself the question, she immediately realized the answer. 

She sat up straight, gasping. Her eyes wide she looked into Saras’ startled face. 

“Belili?”

“Where am I?” she asked, looking around trying to orientate herself. 

The room wasn’t big. Brown mudbrick walls, a single small window, and a simple curtain in front of the door for privacy. To her surprise, she sat on one of three cots. The other two looked untouched.

“We are in healer Gulan’s house,” Saras said. “In the servants’ room.” He paused for a heartbeat. “Did you have a nightmare?” 

“Hm,” Belili murmured. She wasn’t sure what it had been. “How long have I been asleep?” 

Saras straightened. “It is past noon. You missed the meal but Shala – she is Gulan’s wife - she said you can eat whenever you wake up. She is nice.”

Noticing a slight movement of the curtain, Belili tilted her head to look past Saras. A boy’s head stuck out of a gap in the curtain, looking at her with big eyes. He couldn’t be older than five. 

When their eyes met, he quickly withdrew. 

“Mother, mother,” he called. “The other magus is awake!” 

“That is Sabi,” Saras said, shaking his head. “He is Gulan’s youngest child. He has been running back and forth between the healer’s workroom and here all day.” 

“What did he mean?” Belili asked, rubbing her eyes.

“Hm?” Saras frowned for a moment before he understood. “You cannot remember, right? You were so tired when we met the patrol, you looked like you would fall over any moment.” He reached out to help Belili up. “Anyway, when we met them the chief of the town’s guard sent for a wagon from a farm close by. For master Jas’ar. There was an argument if you should ride on the wagon instead of healer Gulan. The captain did not like it but master Jas’ar called you his apprentice. Do you remember that?”

“I am not sure,” Belili said, following Saras out of the room. 

Her brother led her down a corridor with three more rooms – two on each side. The doorway at the end opened into a small courtyard with a well in one corner. 

The well was lined with a hip-high wall. On one side a picture of Urk, the town’s guardian deity, had been pressed into the building material before it had hardened. He was depicted as a man with eagle wings holding up a large water jar on its handle. 

“They have their own well,” Saras said. “In Urk, only the important people have a private one. Most folks go to the market for their water.” He stepped up to the side and picked up the leather bucket lying next to it. “You can wash up here before you eat. Gulan’s wife said she will give you some old clothing from her boys.”

He threw the bucket over the side and waited for the splashing. Then he pulled it up again on the attached rope. “Urk be praised for the water.”

“I can do it,” Belili said, joining him and reaching for the rope.

Saras handed her the rope with a concerned look. “Well, you look awful.”

Belili stopped pulling for a moment to follow Saras’ gaze. She had to admit that he was right. Even through the dust clinging to her, she could see the scratches on her knees, arms, and hands. Her feet had gotten the worst of it. Somebody had taken off her sandals while she was asleep and there were red spots where the strings had shaved her skin raw during the night’s exertions. 

“I am fine,” she said. “Can you get me those clothes?”

“…sure.” With one last concerned look, Saras turned to leave.

Belili was just about to heave the bucket over the side when she remembered something. “Where is Master Jas’ar? How is he?”

“He was fine last I saw him,” Saras said over his shoulder. “He is sleeping in the healer’s workroom. If the boy has not woken him with his shouting.” Then he stepped through another doorway and was gone. 

Thank the gods, Belili thought relieved. From what she still remembered from the previous night, master Jas’ar had been their biggest concern. His leg had caused him more and more discomfort with every step until he couldn’t deny it anymore. In the end, he had asked them to use his staff to carry him in the same fashion Motar’s boys had with the pole. That is the last thing I remember clearly.

“Urk be praised for the water.” She emptied the bucket over her head, the cold wet making her shiver. But with it came clarity. 

Before she threw it back over the site, she pulled her tunic over her head. It was one of only two Belili owned and the other was lost with her bundle back at the campsite. She would have to clean it thoroughly after she was done with her body. 

She pulled up another bucket, this time applying the water more carefully while rubbing the thick layer of dust away. As her skin was exposed bit by bit, so were all the bruises and scrapes. The later ones biting nastily as they were exposed to water and air.

‘Are you enjoying the view?’

Startled by the voice she whirled around. Blinking against the sun, she saw the healer standing in the shadow of the door, through which she had come. How long has he been there?

Gulan tilted his head and looked at her for another heartbeat before stepping out into the small yard. 

“You are awake,” he said, coming closer. “How do you feel?” He had exchanged his traveling clothes with a long white garment and a brown vest with decorative stitching. Walking upright in the sun of the early afternoon he looked much younger than he had last night. 

Belili lowered her eyes nervously. “I am fine. Thank you for letting us stay here.”

Stopping in front of her, the healer went down on one knee and took her hands. Belili didn’t dare to resist. 

“You have quite the collection of bumps and bruises,” he said, as he slowly examined her arms. “I wish I had known. I could have treated you earlier. Does it hurt a lot?”

“I am fine,” Belili said, her eyes on the ground. She couldn’t suppress a shiver when his hand ran down her leg stopping at abrasions on her knees. 

“Brave,” Gulan said. “But I guess you must be, being a magus’ apprentice.” There was a slight edge in his voice. Belili couldn’t say what it was but it increased her nervousness.

“Is Master Jas’ar well?” she asked quickly.

“Hm?” The healer blinked. “Ah, yes. I had to redo some of the stitching but he should heal as long as he gets enough rest and there is no inflammation.”

Steppes from the second doorway made both their heads turn. 

A moment later Saras came around the corner carrying a bundle of fabric. When he saw the healer and his sister, he slowed down looking unsure from one to the other. 

Healer Gulan met his eyes and then looked back to Belili. “We will apply an ointment for the scratches later. For now, let’s get some food into your belly.” He rose and walked toward the door her brother had come from. 

‘Ha, some food now and maybe plant another babe later. Greedy boy.’ 

Again, Belili startled but this time she recognized the voice. It was the one from her dream. She knew it was in her mind but she still felt the urge to look over her shoulder as it felt like the silent laughter came from right behind her.

Saras waited until Gulan had walked past him before he came closer and handed her a simple tunic. 

Belili pulled it over her head. The sleeves were a little short but it still reached down well over her knees. It was made for a boy younger than her who wasn’t expected to work in muddy fields. 

“Are you alright?”

Glancing up at her older brother, Belili saw concern of a different kind than before. He was clearly uncomfortable, looking back after the healer.

“I told you, I am fine,” she said, freeing her hair from the collar. “I was just exhausted.”

“…I mean just now.”

She raised an eyebrow as if she didn’t understand right away what he was talking about. “He is the healer. He just looked at my bruises.”

And if it was different, there would be nothing you could do about it, she thought. Not that she expected it. The other women had taught her about such things. She was Zabu’s property and she was still a virgin. It was unlikely that she would be touched without his permission. But Zabu is probably dead. She quickly pushed the thought aside. “Have you heard anything about the others?”

Saras shook his head. “No, the patrol we met has not returned yet.” Then he thought for a moment. “I think that is when the healer started to look at you funny. After we met the patrol, I mean.”

Not wanting to talk about this, Belili tugged on his arm walking toward the door. “I am a girl. Men look at me like that.”

Saras twisted his mouth. “You are not that pretty. And you were really dirty then.”

He let out a grunt when she elbowed him in the site. “No, it is true. Remember, I have been to Urk before with Zabu.” He grinned mischievously. 

They stepped through the door and entered into a spacious kitchen. It was smaller than the one on the estate, but Ninkar had to feed almost twenty people. 

Besides them, there were three people present. Gulan stood in the back, talking quietly to a young woman. His hand rested on her enormous baby belly which seemed to be too large for her slim frame. A quiet smile played on her lips while she looked up at him. 

When she became aware of them her face brightened. “Ah, you must be Belili. Come in.” She waved them closer. 

Belili bowed her head. “Thank you for the tunic. I will be careful not to dirty it.”

“Then you would be the first in this house,” the woman said. “I am Gulan’s wife Shala. Are you hungry?”

Feeling overwhelmed, Belili only nodded. The healer’s wife had the warmest, most beautiful smile she had ever seen. Taking Belili by the hand, she seemed to radiate warmth. 

“Saras, could you help Rani serve?” Shala asked, guiding Belili to the next room.

“Yes, Shala,” Saras said, hurrying over to the girl bending over a pot at the other end of the kitchen.

“You can eat here,” Shalla said, guiding Belili to a seat at a knee-high table surrounded by pillows. 

Belili hesitated. “Is this really fine?” 

This was clearly where the family of the house ate and entertained guests. Her kind wasn’t supposed to eat in a place like this. Maybe she does not know that I am a slave, she thought. But how could she not?

Gulan’s wife frowned but her husband put a hand on her shoulder. “Please take a seat, Belili. You are master Jas’ar’s apprentice. And even if you were not, Shalla would insist. She likes to have guests.”

“That is because you never invite anybody,” Shalla said, pointing Belili to a way to nice pillow. 

“Your parents were here just the other day,” he said while his attempt to help his wife lower herself next to Belili was waved off. 

“And conveniently you had to go travel around the western farms,” Shalla said, trying to find a comfortable way to sit with her belly. 

Her husband took a seat opposite to them. “I had to go now, so I can stay here during your final month.”

“See Belili, this is my third pregnancy and I have not lost a single babe yet,” Shalla said proudly. “The women say I am blessed to have a healer for a husband.”

“Maybe you should listen to the healer then?” Gulan smiled.

“Of course, those women talk all kinds of nonsense,” Shalla said, ignoring her husband’s expression. 

Following the couple’s bickering, Belili felt slightly uncomfortable. As if she was intruding on a private moment between the two. 

Shalla seemed to sense her discomfort, taking her hand and squeezing it lightly. 

Belili winced. 

Frowning, Shalla examined her hand. “Oh, did you fall? You are all scratched up. Husband, did you see this?”

“It looks worse than it is,” the healer said, calmly. “I will put some ointment on it once she has eaten.”

Looking somewhat unhappy with her husband’s lack of concern, Shalla turned back to Belili. “Tell me about yourself, Belili. Gulan says you are master Jas’ar’s apprentice? I did not know women could be magi.”

“If the gods choose to bless them with the gift of magic, they can,” Gulan said. “In some of the ancient records, there are female names recorded for two of Nemki’s seven sages.” While he talked his tone subtly changed and the warmth in his eyes was replaced by something else. 

Her attention on Belili, Shalla didn’t seem to notice. The former wasn’t sure what to say. 

“I…I am just a slave from Zabu’s farm,” Belili said. “I do not know about magic and such things.”

Shalla frowned and looked questioningly at her husband.

Is she disappointed? Belili thought. She felt a pang of sadness at having to disappoint the kind woman. 

Gulan nodded. “Belili found Master Jas’ar injured in the mountains and brought him back to Zabu’s farm. They only met two days ago. But I was there when he named her his apprentice before many witnesses.”

“How exciting,” Shalla said, turning her smile back on Belili. “You must be overwhelmed by all this.”

Belili could only nod. So much had happened, her mind struggled to grasp it all.

Thankfully, Saras and the girl Rani chose that moment to serve the food, distracting Shalla for a while. 

The meal placed in front of her consisted of a soup with lots of vegetables, fresh bread, and even some lamb. Only on feast days servants and slaves could hope for such a treat. 

Reading her feelings, Shalla patted her arm and gave her an encouraging nod. “You must eat plenty so you can serve the magus well.” 

Understanding that their hosts weren’t just kind to her but by extension showing respect to master Jas’ar made Belili feel a little more comfortable. She slowly nibbled from her spoon. Only when the first couple of bites reached her stomach, she realized how famished she truly was and she began to eat with more enthusiasm. 

Seeing her single-minded focus, the couple let her be and talk silently about things that had happened during Gulan’s absence. 

“Gulan, there was a messenger.”   

All three looked up to Rani who stood at the kitchen door with Saras gawking over her shoulder.

“The council of elders is gathering in the head’s house,” Rani said, seeing that she had everybody’s attention. “The patrol is back.” 

“The messenger said, only half the men returned,” Saras said with nervous excitement in his voice and Rani nodded, confirming his words.

0