Chapter 1, Debts and Attack
117 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She has an unhappy home life. Her husband does not beat her, is not unfaithful to her, but he drinks, he comes home drunk every evening. He’s burning his candle at both ends; in three months I have seen him turn yellow and melt away. Lucie thinks it is drink. I believe he is tubercular.

Jean Paul Sartre - Nausea


Ghosting effect is the imprint a soul leave in a point somewhere in the z axis of a stable temporal coordinate.

Excerpt from the Horus Archive Page 28, section 3. Written during the reign of Schröffers.


He clutched his head over the figures in front of him.

"Not again" He mumbled.

Written in red streak is a proclamation of their debts. He thought for sure he could cover it, he had helped bring down the last demon lord. And though he is not the central figure, his contribution was decisive, the king had proclaimed so. That was why he is the fourth of great heroes of the last expedition.

But it seemed that having two girls to feed, drained his coffers easily. Looking back, he should have told them how much the king had paid him, since they seem to not realize how much of a burden this has caused him.

They simply are too lavish in their spending.

"Haa~" He dropped his head flat on the table, feeling a cold wash of marble surface on his cheek. "What should I do, I can't tell them now."

He had been confident. Very, with that much of gold they would have thirty years before worrying about working again. But no, of course not. They just have to buy a mansion, nope, not that old creaky wooden tavern that they lived in. No, she just really wanted a mansion.

It was her dream, and faced with such earnestness. He can't just deny her request considering how much of a help she was in the party. And even if it wasn't her dream, he was in such a mood that day that he wouldn't even bother to check the numbers on that paper.

And with just that, two thirds of that gold became a very useless house.

But at least she seemed happy with it. And those are a really pretty fountain, though a wine fountain seems very hedonistic now that he think about it.

He didn't mind much of it though, because he mistakenly thought that he could recoup losses with his usual way. Adventuring, slaying monsters, goblins! And given their ranks now, they should have access to a much higher paying contracts.

Ah well, such was the dream.

Turns out, when you strike the source of all evil. Evil vanished. Monsters, to be exact, vanished. Sure, bandits are plenty, and caravans needed guards to function.

But how much would you pay if a famous hero offers to guard your stale vegetables?

And so, with their ranks, there is nothing they could do.

The girls seems happy with it. But he had been going up and down looking for money to borrow.

Now he has exhausted all his options. And the payment deadline is looming ever so closer.

So he prayed. To the goddess he had only seen thrice.

"Please, just... do something"

And so, he fell into a very, very deep sleep. And the night came down bearing upon the earth like... like something. I don't know. The night deepens.


"Kazu~ki" A sweet voice grasped his heart in a warm tingly feelings. It was a voice he has not heard ever since he died. Who was it, his eyes felt so heavy. Mmhh, I'm probably mishearing something

"Kazuki~ wake up.. hey" That voice repeats. "... are you ignoring me?... hey!"

"Ack!" A sharp jab landed on his side. He fell down from the sofa to a soft purple carpet.

Carpet?... Right, he had probably bought a carpet to decorate the mansion. But as he rubbed his sides his eyes lazily scan the room he's in. Lamps? Computers? Laptops? TV?

"Huh!?" And in front of him, is a black haired girl. Her hair is so silky and soft that it fell without any straying thread down her chest. Even the ends of her hair is a straight line. Her blue eyes gazed at him in an angry look that he had often seen.

He had known her of course, but this is impossible. It was impossible to meet her. To see her is akin to seeing ghost! for someone like him, who has died nineteen years ago, to meet a living person in his original world is impossible.

To confirm, his gaze shifted to her left cheek... yep, below the eye one small beauty mark.

It is her.

"... Sumika"

As that name left his mouth, his mind cleared. The long nineteen years suddenly vanished from his brain as if wiped. It was just a blurry uneven dream. The names of his party he forgot, the deep trouble, and his many achievements. Suddenly whizzled out like a cruel dream. Why? It's not real anyway, why would I be proud, why am I even thinking hard about it. Such thoughts went past his mind. And little by little. The dream fades.

"???" Sumika raised her eyebrows, the little anger that was present before seems nonexistent. "Hey, are you okay?" She cupped his cheek, kneeling down to his fallen figure "You're pale"

Then she widens her eyes and frowned. "H-hey, what's going on" She wiped his cheek, and that was when he realized that he's crying.

"I-I'm fine really" He hurriedly clarified.

"No, that's not gonna work" She hugged him, and the smell of citrus shampoo basked his lungs. "There's no way you'll start crying for no reason"

They stayed like that for a long time, he felt uncomfortable. His tears won't stop, and they're soaking her sweater's shoulder. Then finally, after taking a few deep breath she parted. The empty air between them felt colder to him than if she had never hugged him.

Her hand stayed on his shoulder. And her sky blue eyes gazed intently at him.

"Tell me" she said.

He felt confused. There's no reason for him to cry, but she would think he's hiding something if he said that though, and he hates lying and-

"I lost my job"

That was the truth, and that surprised him. Memories of what was real strangled him. Right, he had just lost his job. His first job. They were fresh out of highschool and he lucked out to pretty good paying job recommended by his teacher. Three months in, they decided to move together, so they rented this apartement. She hasn't hold a job yet but has sent out many applications, so until she got one he's the sole provider.

She blinked. And slowly let go and sat in front of him. Then she laughed

"Ahahaha!" She slapped her thigh and smiled "That's it? You don't have to cry about it" Even so- "You should have told me last night" Even so- "so that's why you're sulky huh"

Even though she said so, Kazuki could see the worry in her eyes, the small twitch of her smile and her nervous touch on his skin.

"We still have savings right? we can stay afloat for another 2 months." She smiled. "Don't worry. I'm sure i'll-" Then she stopped "Ah right, let me check my emails"

But he felt warm. She has always been like this. She has always tried to protect his feelings. Even when they first met she has always pretended to be his older sister. But that was why he changed, that was why he landed a job, that was why he improved.

The relationship between them had changed since they entered high school. He had sworn back then to protect her. And he had succeded, she looked up at him. It was the opposite then, and when they reached second grade. He had begun to notice how sweet she is, how beautiful every lock of her hair is, how mesmerizing her eyes was.

That was when it start, she might argue that it started a long time ago. But that was when his love began.

"!!!" She she glaced at him with a smile "See!" She shows him the screen. "I got an interview scheduled"

He wanted to shot back, as usual, how she would flunk this. Because she always did, he had lost count of how many interview she failed. But he can't, so he just smiled.

"... I'm sure you'll bag this one"

But his words seems to have the opposite effect "Ew, what's that" Then he laughed "Ahaha~ disgusting. Where's your usual snark? Did you hit your head?" She glanced at the sofa.

She always hated serious atmosphere, but maybe that was the reason she had never landed a job.

"Right," She smiled "Now, buy yourself some drinks. We'll celebrate your first day as a free man tonight. Ah don't forget to buy me some snacks"

She took out 10,000 yen from their savings and handed it over.

"Here, don't worry your little head too much okay?"

She smiled.


Kazu woke up to a shaft of light landing on his cheek. He had fell asleep on the table and had forgotten to close the window. Curtains waved following the stream of gust flowing to his room and the street outside clamored loudly with wagons and steps.

It was still early in the morning and he stretched in his seat, and yawned. What a dream. No, maybe he had missed her a lot more than he thought he was. He stood and organized his table, hiding his financial sheet underneath many studies and leaned on the window to gaze at the streets below. And he saw a twin braided girl with a witch hat rushing between the crowds. What is she doing? He felt a smile came to his lips.

That girl is Aurelia the mage of his party. He sighed stepped away from the window. His hand reached up his cheek as he went to his bed. He sat.

"Sumika"

Though he had said it in his sleep, the name felt unfamiliar to his lips.

"Sumika," He repeated and closed his eyes. "... Sumika" finally it settled. His heart felt a fleeting warm. How is she doing now, will she be alright? Did she manage to get that job? He laid on his bed and stared at the ceiling.

But he felt no sadness. Only warmth and nostalgic yearning.

He hugged his pillow and buried his face in it.

"... Sumika" Then he remembered the night he had spend with her "..."

With the memory playing back in his mind his right hand strayed down his crotch. He traced his finger along his stiff length, and began pumping.

"Hnggh... Sumika" He gulped and trashed around, face still buried in his pillows. Sumika's scent, her touch, her thigh. He imagined brushing his fingers along her hair and tracing a kiss along her neck.

"Sumika, I love you-"

The door slammed open

"Kazu something weird happened! People at the guild said-" Then the voice stops.

Kazu's hand decoupled with an explosive speed out of his pants, the loud snapping of his rubber webbings against his lower stomach echoed in the room and deleted any possibility of excuses. He jumped back and a sudden dizziness overtakes him as blood rushes up his head. His cock twitched but for the worng reason and then there was silence.

Kazu, who sat at the edge of his bed with tremble overtaking his body, stared at the woman at the door. Aurelia, stared at him through her glass with a look of pity on her face.

After a minute of silent staredown, Aurelia opened her pink mouth "The demon lord has ressurected" She walked in and continued "Well they're saying its a different one since his magical readings is different."

Then she sat beside him, the smell of sun and a little hint of olive oil masked her long braided locks. She placed her large witch hat on the table beside the bed. And righted her glasses which glinted.

"Ah, so uh" Kazu coughed "A new demon lord?" His heart became clouded in a foggy feeling.

"Yes, but the problem is that they're late at detecting it. And I mean I can't blame them, a new one wasn't supposed to appear immediately after we defeated the last one. Historically there was window of 5 to 6 years of peace, this is unprecedented"

His heart slowly restarted its beating. Wait, new demon lord? Wasn't his money problem was caused percisely because there wasn't any demon lords?

"Hold on, You said they were late at detecting it right?"

Aurelia raised her eyebrows at his sudden lift in moods "Yes"

"And that they're supposed to arrive in the next 5 years right?"

"Or 6 yes" Then Aurelia smiled and tilted her head "Ah i know what you want to ask."

"How did they find out?"

She smiled and pushed her glasses again. "There's a sudden surge of monster reports" She said leaning at him, her pink lips thinned and parted a little, and her white teeth peered from behind. "I guess it's time to hit the road again?"

Suddenly the amount of debt seems so little. Given his experience and honor he received, such trifling amounts of money wasn't even something to worry about. Just yesterday he was thinking of rationing their spending under the guise of training. But now, he felt like celebrating.

"Aurelia" He smiled "Buy us something to eat" he went to his coffers and picked ten gold coins and handed it over. "We're throwing a party" He put on a nasty grin.

The goddess really did care for him.

Aurelia received it with a smile

"Alright then, I knew you'd be excited" She smiled "We're not used to sit around while injustice spreads are we?" The she stretched "Really though, I'm just glad now that I know why you seem so down lately" She sighed "I guess your hero status lets you sense something is off earlier huh?"

"... r-right" a single sweat trailed down his back. "A-Anyway, go buy us something, we'll have a feat tonight. I'll look for Clara"

"Right," she smiled. She stood back up and put on her hat. "But before that, Kazu, what were you doing before?" Her eyes seems to posses an intensity unseen before.

"H-Huh? I don't know what you're talking about" That was cheap, he even tilts his voice a little, his nerves are fried.

"Hmm, I see I thought I saw you masturbating" She smirked and gazed at him with a half closed eyes.

"T-That would be wild haha"

"And you looked like you really... really enjoyed it too" She nudged his cheek and leaned closer, and closer. Until his face is covered in her hair. He felt her breath on the side of his neck and her soft breathing resounds in his ear.

"So... who is this" Her breathy voice, tinged itself with every air that passed her teeth. "Sumika?"

"..."

"Kazuki~" She whispered "You didn't cheat on us did you?"

It was the stray saliva that caused him to gulp, not the fear, no way. It was simply a physical reaction, he has nothing to be ashamed of. As a matter of fact, just for the record in case this reached the divorce court, he didn't cheat on anyone. In retrospect it would be better to come clean from the get go before she bought up the possibility, because now admitting one would implicate the other.

Then after a long time of mental torture she drew back and gazed at his deep flushed face. "Of course not right?" She laughed "There's no way you're pumping yourself alone in your own bedroom with two girl that is completely willing living under the same roof" Her eyes are cold "On top of that, you won't be calling some other wench's name instead of me or Clara" she added

This girl... somehow she's pissing him off

"... I was mastrubating" He lost. "I-I did not cheat I wont cheat I promise you, there's no reason for me to cheat anyway. Please I was just-"

Aurelia's smile deepened. "Just what?"

"... Sumika was my old girlfriend" He began.

Then he described Sumika to her and her relationship with him

After listening to his story, Aurelia frowned and staggered. "Wow, uh" She was unusually confused. "That's pretty... You know I can't believe i'm saying this but I would have more respect if you just admit that you cheated instead of... making that stuff up"

"I'm not making it up"

"... Sure" She coughed "Hey uh, I feel bad now. You can go ahead and do it with Sumika" Her face is the image of pity "You have my full permission, and uh don't ask for Clara's permission consider mine as hers as well. In fact don't mention... Sumika to Clara." Then she mumbled "That will disillusion her from your heroic image"

Kazu don't understand why, but Aurelia is really pissing him off right now. "I told you i'm not making it up damnit!"

Then Aurelia burst out laughing "Sure," She said "I believe you don't cheat on us at least" She smiled "But really, I have never seen this side of yours and was just a little confused how to handle it. But yeah, I'll go now. Say hi to Sumika for me"

And she left. He sighed and lay back on his bed. And he experimentally rubs his cock, it came as a little bit of surprise for him, but he cannot get it up.

Deciding that it wasn't worth worrying about he got up from his bed and make his way outside. He have to prepare for the party.

As Kazu stepped out of his room and into the hallway, he nearly tripped over a small imp that had somehow wedged itself behind the door. "What the…" Kazu muttered, looking down at the ugly little creature. Before he could react, the imp leapt at him with a shriek, claws outstretched.

Kazu threw up his arms to shield his face when suddenly Clara appeared from nowhere, kicking the imp squarely in the chest and sending it crashing into the opposite wall. "Got your back!" Clara said with a grin.

Clara landed beside him and glanced at him with a smile, her red eyes seeming to ask 'how did i do? praise me!'

The imp was dazed but still alive, it struggled to its feet with a pained groan. Clara tensed, ready to strike again. But to their surprise, the imp held up its hands in surrender. 

"Glory to the Queen," 

it rasped before stabbing itself.

Clara frowned, her red eyes held a hint of confusion. She turned at Kazu and asked "Did that imp just speak?"

Queen?

Just as Kazu opened his mouth an explosion rocked the mansion. Exchanging an urgent glance, they raced downstairs and threw open the front doors, only to come face-to-face with an enormous orc swinging a massive club. Behind the orc swarmed a small army of shouting kobolds, weapons drawn.

"Holy shit!" He said, "Clara!" Kazu bellowed, drawing his sword. Clara was already weaving a spell between her fingers. Orbs of light flutterd along her fingers, her golden jewelry reflected their multicolored light. And her white shoulder length hair seemed to take a life of its own as it moved like it was underwater.

But Kazu noticed something. Behind the orcs, was hell.

The quaint streets of his hometown were now bathed in blood, flames and smoke rising from devastated buildings. Gripping his sword tightly, Kazu signaled to Clara and they both leapt into the fray.

They slashed and hacked at the endless tide of kobolds, but for every one felled, three more seemed to take its place.

But Kazu's mind was elsewhere. Queen? He has never heard of a female demon lord. In fact, he has never heard of a humanoid demon lord, and the dragons has always referred to that blob of hatred as 'he' perhaps Aurelia would know? Ah! Damnit! Aurelia, is she okay?

An earsplitting roar sounded behind them - the orc chieftain had recovered and now bore down on them, club raised high. Kazu barely managed to block the crushing blow with his shield, the force of it driving him to his knees. As the orc drew back for another swing, Clara let loose a fiery bolt of magic.

"Kazu! focus!" Clara panted, her robes tattered and singed. Before Kazu could reply, a kobold sunk its teeth into his thigh. With a cry of pain, Kazu spun and relieved the creature of its head in a spray of black blood. But in that moment of distraction, the orc chieftain's club found its mark. Clara flew backwards from the force of the impact, landing in a broken heap.

"No!" Kazu screamed. He slashed desperately at the orc but it was no use - the beast grabbed Clara by her white hair and dangled her limp form, her pale skin clad in black bikini is tattered in bruises and a slit on her shoulder bleeds red. Then suddenly the orc froze, its beady eyes going wide. Its severed head toppled from its shoulders, the body crumpling soon after to reveal a smirking dwarf standing behind.

"Can't let ye die before ye've paid what ye owe me," chuckled Alakazem, hefting the massive battleaxe from his back.


The long battle waged in the streets of town, with Kazu and his party gaining momentum under Alakazem's leadership. With great axe sweeping, Alakazem cleared a path to the city gates.

"Head to the guild, all this started when the bells rang!" he commanded. Clara pouted, angry that the dwarf presumed command of their party.

"We were handling it fine before you barged in. Kazu would have found a way," she muttered. But Alakazem just laughed.

"A pretty head like yours can think whatever it wants, wee lass, but less talking and more walking if ye want to keep it attached!"

As the group heads toward the guild, the streets erupt into chaos around them. Crazed townspeople run screaming as hideous monsters pour from rupturing sewer grates. Alakazem bellows orders to his militia, directing the soldiers to form a wedge behind his broad axe. They crash into the teeming dark tide, black blood spraying.

A misshapen beast breaks from the melee toward Clara. She freezes, face draining of color, as its maw splits open vertically into four snapping mandibles. Before it can pounce, Kazu slides in front of her, longsword cleaving through gnarled flesh in a spray of ichor. He glances back, relief washing over him at the sight of her unharmed.

The swell of fighting moves on, and they met up with Aurelia

"Thank gods you're both alright" She seemed like she has been in a very stressed mood before. And immediately tugs Clara's wrist urging her to follow.

But Clara wrenches away, face flushed with embarrassment and frustration. Through clenched teeth, she hisses, "Of course we'll be alright. We got through the last expedition, this is nothing. And frankly that was a little insulting four-eyes."

Aurelia frowns, eyes darting between Clara and the ongoing battle. She opens her mouth, closes it, then sighs heavily. "This is different than before. Can't you feel it? There's something...wrong. I'm not even sure he can-"

A thunderous explosion shakes the ground, cutting her off. She whirls toward the noise as a plume of fire and debris erupts down the street. Alakazem's voice booms out. "To the guild, now!" The group scrambles into action, questions swirling uneasily in their minds.

They reached the guild

The chaotic mess slowly dissipated as they went inside the guild. Two men has guarded the front door to alert the rest inside if a danger approaches. The party went through the door, and was informed to keep quiet before entering. But immediately after they closed the guild door, the rumbling sound of explosive bats and slashing swords are replaced by a sense of a chaotic courtroom.

The guild hall was bustling with activity as confused and anxious adventurers milled about. Clara remembered Alakazem's earlier comments. She turned to Aurelia with a puzzled look. "Hey uh Aurelia, did we owe that halflings money?"

Aurelia's brows furrowed in puzzlement - she knew nothing of this. "Huh?" She studied Kazu pensively as he avoided her gaze.

Clara flowned, then whispered "What do you mean 'Huh?' you're supposed to handle our finances right?"

Aurelia looks tired as she glared at Clara "No, Kazu told me that he'll handle it... ugh! come on we had this conversation how many times now?" Then she turned to Kazu and was about to open her mouth.

But the guildmaster clapped his hands loudly, calling for silence. The loud chatter died down as all eyes turned expectantly towards the stocky guildmaster standing on the raised platform.

Aurelia leaned in close behind Kazu, whispering sharply, "You better explain yourself after this." Kazu shifted uncomfortably, a trickle of nervous sweat trailing down his temple as the guildmaster cleared his throat.

"Adventurers, I'm sure you've all noticed alarming events occurring today..." The guildmaster's voice boomed through the silent hall. Kazu felt Aurelia's piercing gaze boring into the back of his head and gulped. This was not going to be pleasant.

The guild master's voice boomed through the silent hall. "It began a little after last month. Perhaps a week or so after the resurrection festival. The northern border inspection team detects a surge of unusual magical activity from the northeast, from the territory of the fairies." Because a wave of murmuring rose up he waved his hand. "Of course, fairies doing weird stuff are normal. That was why we dismissed their concerns back then." He paused "Of course, that turned out to be a really stupid thing to do" He smiled gravely

"Earlier this morning, there were unusual magical energy fluctuations surrounding the town. We kept this information confidential to avoid panic. It was a different shade from the demon lord, so we checked our fairy archives. There are none, this, however, began rumours among our members that there are a new demon lord in town."

He smiled a little wryly "You might have seen the bustle of wagons and carts this morning. That was our fault, somehow the words got twisted and leaked out of a panicked receptionist. Of course the people are not stupid, they heard this. And whatever else is one to do when you heard that a trusted institution is speculating on an early return of a genocidal maniac"

Murmurs rippled through the crowd at this revelation but were quickly silenced by the guildmaster's raised hand. "Then ensues a hysteria, rows of people flows south."

"Well you see, this seems to have disrupted something and pissed a lot of kobolds off" The guild master laughed "So in a way this situation is our doing" He smiled sadly "I have sent instant message to the capital branch, and no longer than a few hours did we received an answer" He smiled "From the king"

He paused, sweat beading on his wrinkled forehead. "The wise King has decided to summon the Ten Great Heroes. Among you stand the Second Great Hero, Alakazem the annihilator. The Third, Clara the flame merchant." Murmurs rippled through the crowd at the pronouncement. Clara lifted her chin with a smile.

The guildmaster met Kazu's eyes. "And the Fourth Great Hero, dragonslayer Kazu." More murmurs followed. Kazu shifted from one foot to another, acutely aware of the stares. If only fame brought fortune rather than debt. The guildmaster clasped his hands behind his back.

"Brave heroes, the kingdom calls you to confront this evil. I apologize for the chaos here today that prevented a more formal summons." He inclined his head respectfully. "If you would please make haste to the royal city, equipment and provisions await you there."

"Well the lot of you!" He laughed "Guess we'll pack up what's left and move south before the next wave, they designated a stand there. This town is a lost cause" He smiled

As he descended the platform, the adventurers buzzed with excited speculation. Clara squared her shoulders, facing Kazu and Aurelia. "Guess we got a job."


In a designated room, they began their preparation to depart. Aurelia had many questions swirling in her mind after the revelations about Kazu's debts and the chaotic events of the day. As Kazu busied himself gathering supplies, Aurelia pressed him for answers.

"Kazu, what was Clara talking about earlier?" she asked pointedly. "You owe Alakazem money? Since when? And how much?" Kazu avoided her gaze, focusing intently on packing his bag. After a long silence, he finally explained haltingly that he had borrowed a substantial sum from the dwarf to help cover living expenses. The mansion had proven far more costly than expected.

Aurelia looked utterly betrayed upon hearing the truth. "You lied to me? You said you could handle the finances!" Kazu shrank under her accusation but then began to make excuses.

"It's not that simple! Taking down the demon lord didn't bring as much reward as I'd hoped. The expenses just kept adding up. I didn't want to disappoint you all..." His voice trailed off at seeing Aurelia's expression.

She held up a hand to stop his rambling excuses, biting hard on her finger in frustration as she processed this revelation. Meeting his eyes intently, she said "It's not about the money, Kazu. I thought we were partners. We're supposed to trust each other."

Kazu's shoulders slumped. "You're right," he said heavily. "I'm sorry, Aurelia."

Just then Clara entered the room, having talked with a few of her fans outside. Her face falling as she sensed the tense atmosphere. "What's going on?" she asked hesitantly.

Kazu turned to her with an apologetic look. "I made a mistake, Clara. I borrowed money from Alakazem to pay for the mansion. I didn't handle our finances well."

Clara bit her lip, eyebrows drawing together. "The mansion? you said..." Her voice quivered slightly.

"No, no!" Kazu said quickly. "I wanted that too, Clara. I pushed for it as much as you. Please don't blame yourself." An awkward silence descended on the room.

Aurelia then stepped away from Kazu, turning her back to him as she struggled to compose herself. She took a deep, shaky breath before slowly turning around to face him again, a sad smile pasted across her pale face.

"I guess I trusted you too much," she said softly, her voice barely above a whisper. Kazu's shoulders slumped even further at her words, shame washing over him in waves.

"Aurelia, I'm so sorry," he began, moving towards her, hand extended pleadingly. But Aurelia held up a hand to stop him.

"Please, just...don't," she said wearily, shaking her head. "I know you're going to say it's all fine now that there's a new demon lord. That you can pay back your debts with the reward money." Kazu shut his mouth, words dying on his tongue - that was exactly what he had been about to say.

Aurelia sighed, a deep bone-tired sound that seemed to drain all the energy from her slender frame. She lifted her green eyes to meet Kazu's uncertain gaze. "But it's not about the money Kazu, I already told you that!" Her voice gained strength, echoing sharply off the walls. "You looked me in the eye and lied! I thought we were partners, that you respected me enough to be honest."

She paused, the fight going out of her as suddenly as it had flared. Her shoulders sagged. "But I guess I'm also to blame. I put too much faith in you without verifying anything. I let my...feelings...cloud my judgement." A faint blush colored her cheeks though her eyes remained hard as stone.

Her mind turned to earlier this morning... did he lie back then too?

Aurelia glanced at Kazu, her eyes still hard. "Yes, it was my fault too," she said quietly. "I knew you weren't ready to handle our finances. But I still let you convince me. I'm such an ... idiot"

Her voice broke on the last words. She turned away, a trembling hand coming up to brush angrily at the tears now trailing down her cheeks.

Kazu's heart shattered at the sight. He had never seen the normally unflappable mage so distraught. "Aurelia..." he began helplessly, hand half-raised in supplication.

She whirled to face him again, purple eyes flashing. "You begged me to let you do it. Said you wanted privacy, needed space from us to 'be your own man.'" Her mouth twisted bitterly around the words. "And like a fool I believed you. Believed in you."

Kazu flinched, shame burning through him. It was all true - he had pleaded his case passionately to Aurelia all those weeks ago. Insisted that he could manage their finances if she just gave him some autonomy.

"I'm so sorry," he repeated wretchedly. "You were right not to trust me. I betrayed that trust in the worst possible way."

Aurelia sank down on the edge of the bed, the fight gone out of her. She looked small suddenly, curled in on herself. Vulnerable in a way Kazu had never seen.

"What hurts most is...were you lying about other things too?" Her voice was barely a whisper.

She paused, a flicker of pain crossing her face. "I guess I felt that...with the separate bedrooms...we already lacked intimacy."

A faint blush colored her cheeks at the memory of those first passionate weeks together when they were insatiable in their desire, so often stealing away to each other’s rooms like a fucking pair of rabbits. Things had cooled since then, though whether from familiarity or... boredom, Aurelia wasn’t sure. Perhaps it was both.

An uncomfortable silence fell between them, laden with regret and things left unsaid. Kazu cleared his throat awkwardly. "Still, I shouldn't have kept secrets from you both. That was wrong of me."

With a resigned sigh, Aurelia opted to return to their previous financial arrangement. "I think we should go back to our old system, Kazu, since you've demonstrated such poor money management skills." Her words are laced with venom as she glared at him "I will resume full control of the party's finances and administrative matters. You'll receive periodic high-level reports for transparency but will not have any direct access."

Kazu nodded meekly. "Alright," he acquiesced, both relieved and ashamed to hand back the burden of their accounts.

Meanwhile, Clara sat quietly off to the side, still stewing in guilt over her part in their dire financial situation. The grand mansion had been her dream, after all. During the last expedition she had always day dreamed out loud planning their retirement mansion. One that Kazu had indulged to both their detriment.

Noticing Clara's morose state, Kazu went over and wrapped her in a warm, comforting hug. "Please don't blame yourself," he murmured. "Buying this place was my choice too. I wanted it as much as you did." Clara managed a small smile as she burrowed into the solid warmth of his chest, reassured by his absolution even as her cheeks flushed crimson.

Looking up from her accounting ledger, Aurelia coolly informed Kazu that she would need a full report on all their outstanding assets and debts first thing after their meeting with the king. Kazu gulped but nodded.

Suddenly a sharp rap cam from the door

"What the fuck are ye doing?!" came the gruff voice of Alakazem from the hall. "Get the move on ye fucking shitheads"

The three companions froze, glancing at each other with flushed faces. That was embarrasing. They hurriedly prepares just shoving the rest of their gear haphazardly into packs.

With resolve steeling his gaze, Kazu strode to the door and swept it open. "Lets go!" he said trying to keep his embarrassment down, his bold voice belying the quavering doubts that plagued his mind.

Clara and Aurelia gathered their things hastily and moved to follow Kazu out the door. But Aurelia paused on the threshold, one hand drifting briefly, unconsciously, to her stomach. A myriad of emotions played across her fair features before she steeled herself with a visible effort and hurried after her companions, purple robes swirling.

Finally they meet up with Alakazem and his party of three, a pretty tall man with bushy beard and rippling muscles who Kazu likened to Alexander the Great from Fate sat with a smile beside Alakazem who laughed loudly.

"Ah, took ye long enough" Alakazem said and "Me and Alparslan were just planning our routes", then the tall muscle man raised his hand to greet them.

A blond elf, another member of his party was nervously kneeling behind them, facing south to the place of their religion and muttering something under her breath. She trembled so much that Kazu was worried she would dug herself a grave below her.

"Ah don't mind her, this sudden attack ruined yet another of her date" Meryl was a very unfortunate elf. She's cute, but not beautiful in the standard of elves, her jaw is not defined and looked very soft. She glared back at Alakazem with her green eyes.

"I'm NOT sulking" She yelled "... Sorry can you leave me alone for a while. I'm talking to my sister"

Alakazem smiled wryly "Right, sorry. Be quick though we'll move after I fill in our plans with the dragonslayer"

Soon enough the party had assembled their mounts and were thundering south through the rising pall of smoke that choked the streets of their once fair city.

The cries of battle and flashes of destructive magic could be glimpsed between buildings and alleys as they rode. It seems that the second wave arrived much earlier than expected.

Black blood smeared across formerly pristine cobblestones, the empty-eyed forms of townsfolk littering the way.

Clara suppressed a shudder at the sight, feeling that the situation is indeed as Aurelia said before, more dire than the last expedition.

Kazu's hands tightened on the reins until his knuckles turned white, anger and helplessness warring within him at his failure to protect their home.

Only Aurelia rode calm and poised... as she usually was.

And so they are done and began their journey south. To the king, they goes. Though it took them only another day to realize that there are no king to go to.

Sorry, new to the styling here.

0