***Chapter 8: World’s End Party-Boy***
36 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"All I want to do

Is be more like me

And be less like you"

Numb by Linkin Park was being blasted on repeat through a thousand-dollar speaker system.

Kaigo lay motionless on his white leather sofa. Cans of Monster Energy and Diet Coke decorated the coffee table. How long had it been since he had a full night's rest? Weeks? Months?

The walls were decorated with graffiti painted on sound-absorbing canvas boards and a Renaissance-like family portrait of a rich modern family. The painting had several tares and a splash of red wine in its center.

The ichor was near unbearable. It was like a beast that screamed in the Esper's mind to fuck everything and go ape shit. It took away memories and reason, eating away at a person like a virus. That is if it didn't immediately take over.

Kaigo was strong and could hold a lot of ichor, but it still affected him. He would wake up after a few hours by unbearable pain and lashed out at anything that moved until he got to his senses. In battle, he only used weaker versions of his powers to keep himself from going over the edge. It was no way to live or to defeat their new legendary enemy; the Knave.

To compare Kaigo to a hero from the myths of old; He was cursed. The fate of humanity on his shoulders. Not to mention the drinking, partying, and attitude.

His phone vibrated on his chest.

"Incoming call from 'The Böse'."

He swiped to answer the call.

"Hello, sunshine. My bestest friend. American babe. Jenny from the block."

"I can't hear a thing over that music. Wait, is it what I think it is? When did you start listening to old emo music?"

"It was in the vibes today."

"Turn it either off or down. I can't hear anything."

Kaigo pretended to think for a second."Hmm- No dice."

"Fine, I'll just speak then." Jenny made a resigned sigh and continued.

"Several Rifts have appeared in inhabited areas on the Outskirts. You are on standby until further notice. In other news, the higher-ups have agreed to go with the emergency recruitment program. Hopefully, that means the Rifts will be resolved quickly and that the guilds will get some much-needed reinforcement."

"Yeah, yeah. Anything else?"

"Yes, one last thing. You should get happy by this, it's information regarding your mystery Guide."

Kaigo sat up and lowered the music volume with two clicks.

"Witnesses report of a 'Killer Guide', 'Omen Guide', 'Blue' or just 'The Guide'. He's been active in the Outskirts for a long time. Apparently made a guild that saw great success with an elderly Esper known as 'Little Big Boss' or 'Phantom'."

"According to our informants, they have organized risky raids with high death tolls. Though the Guide should be much frailer than even the lower-ranking Espers he has been at the front and come out unscathed. You have confirmed he carries firearms and left a scene of bodies. The latest activity was a duel between the Guide and Phantom against a rival gang member on a busy street. All and all we have made a profile of your Guide that paints him as an ambitious gold-digger. Cold and dangerous."

"Wow. That's quite the information you got there. Great job Jenny! I'll keep in mind to use the big boy gloves with him. Will he be there for the big Rift party?"

"Looking at his profile, absolutely. He will be there to try and score big. Our directive is to catch the Guide and bring him in for testing. If he really is able to Guide S-rank Espers he's invaluable."

"Now I'm starting to feel fired up! I'll hit the club and then join the search! I want to take my bike for a spin."

"As much as I like your enthusiasm, need I remind you that one; you are to keep back unless there's a high-level threat, two; there are no roads out there, only muddy rivers."

"Okey-dokey. I get it. Taking out the heavy-duty dirt bike! Thanks again sweetie, best manager ever."

"You are on the verge of rampaging don't -"

Kaigo ended the call and changed the music. As LMFAO shouted "party rock" he was diving into his Guardian-branded bodysuit. Kaigo shuffled to the beat and downed an energy drink. Maybe the lack of sleep had made him hysterical, but Kaigo didn't care. He was a hero after all. He needed to go out there to fight the baddies and get the chicks, as party-rock heroes do.

But first; a detour to the dance floor.

3