***Chapter 11: Cinderella Story***
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The resistance launched fireworks at the city Guild's jeeps. Years of neglect and mistreatment from the city had its consequences. The rotting buildings they left behind were being used against them.

Belaphorde was in his own world of troubles. Running away would be useless considering the Espers next to him. The only trick he had against them was an unreliable sleep spell.

He calmed his mind and appeared as unbothered as the Guide could manage, saving up his energies. With his muscles relaxing he could not help but to jawn. God, he was tired.

"Not been getting enough sleep, BF? Hunt's too boring for you, ey?" Hertha snatched Bel’s cap, fanned herself, and ruffled his hair.

“Apologies, Aunty. Rest is an expensive luxury.” He huffed and leaned away. “Speaking off, with our haul, what do you think my share will be? I need to carefully plan my budget.”

Hertha clicked her tongue. “BF, we just got here. We are all in mourning for our loss and you want to immediately talk money. Leave it for when we arrive at the safe house.”

“Alright, Aunty.” He weakly held out his hand, to which Hertha responded by fanning herself faster.

Belaphorde looked over to Lala, holding the javelin and bodybag close. She wiped away tears from her red face. “I’ll… I’ll pay my respects if you don’t mind.”

Hertha shrugged. He walked over to Lala and offered a handkerchief from his pocket. An old Christmas gift from Vigo he always kept on hand.

“Thank you.” Lala cleaned her hands and blew her nose multiple times. The javelin was slowly dissolving into tiny sprites of light as she was losing her copied ability. Belaphorde stayed silent, diverting his eyes.

“They must have meant a lot to you.” He carefully stated.

“More than you’d ever know. Goldie is my world. There will never be a brighter soul in this earth.” The usually chipper lady looked so very fragile as she handed back the dirty handkerchief.

The other Satellites stood nearby. Tired, teary, or just keeping it together. They were a tight knit group. Belaphorde felt sorry for them, even if he was being swindled. He assumed they had connections to the Skulls and were offered a bounty.

Like strikes of lightning, an explosion erupted from the barricade followed by fire and clouds of smoke. Splinters and ash flakes rained from the sky.

“We are human! We are human! We are human!” the Skulls, anarchists, and furious refugees chanted as they threw what they had at the city Guild parade.

As the cloud of smoke welled over them Belaphorde made his escape. He slipped into the nearest tent, a sick bay with rows of people on mats. He snuck across the tent to exit the other side when Hertha called out to him in the tone of a disappointed parent.

“You really want to do this, kid?”

Belaphorde turned, the older Esper standing by the entrance framed by the light coming through the smoke and with her arms crossed. The spark to fight was snuffed out. Belaphorde turned around and walked back out with a stoic expression.

“Come on now. It’s nothing personal, not on our end anyway. I admit, I didn’t fully believe it when I heard you had gone and become a killer.” Hertha walked casually beside him not needing any restraints to keep Belaphorde captive.

“You got the guide? Hurray! We gotta be quick, I need to head back. Things are getting crazy!” The magenta-haired Skull girl skipped up the blackened street with a smug Pyro behind her.

“You should break one of his legs. He won’t need em anyway where he is going. Indefinite communal service is not enough for this abomination.” Pyro’s words were filled with mirth and disgust for the Guide.

“Don’t start with one of your speeches about ‘natural order’ or nothin Pyro.” Hertha butted in. “Now, what’s the plan Kiki?” She addressed the Skull girl.

“Since we love you Satellites so much you can all follow along to Sammy’s Garge Diner. It’s not far from here and we got plenty of beer and guns keeping it safe. So just follow me kings, queens, and in-betweens! To the fort!”

The girl dramatically pointed as police sirens and water cannons mowed down the barricade. The city had gathered enough of its forces to overwhelm the mob, keeping them away with energy barriers around their vehicles. The Guild squadron marched down the street. The resistance scattered, fleeing to new positions and attacking in small bursts with bombs, bullets, and fire.

From over the wall, a lone bike flew across the sky propelled by water jets. The bike had an odd thin frame painted in gray camo. The rider looked like a professional athlete with a suit filled with logos, a black helmet, and a long sports bag peeking over their shoulder.

The rider landed in front of the group, driving ahead with the momentum while pulling the brakes, drifting to turn around and drive back right up to Belaphorde.

"Get out of my dreams, and into my car!"

The driver sang like he thought he had made the coolest pickup line performed by anyone ever. The whole group stood quite in disbelief until Hertha responded with a dumbfounded;

"What? The hell you are takin' BF."

"Okay, bad reference, but we still gotta go and save the world. That Guide is the only one who can help me stop the Kaijus from coming."

Belaphorde stepped forward the moment he recognized that annoying frat boy voice and without hesitation, the Esper scooped the Guide up into his lap and began driving. It was an awkward seating arrangement but there was no space except for the small driver's seat on the extra light dirt bike.

The Satellites tried to react as another Esper appeared between them and the bike—a muscled beast covered in smooth black fur. The ends of the hair turned into wisps of shadow. Their yellow eyes shone like the full moon on the midnight sky. A growl was all it took to intimidate the Satellites to give up the pursuit.

"Finally got you in my arms. I'm Kaigo, S-rank Esper of Guardian. What's your name handsome? I heard someone call you BF."

Belaphorde was thinking of trying the sleeping trick but could not find any exposed skin. However, something about Kaigo's obnoxious behavior made him want to laugh, like how he even entertained the thought of being a true S-rank.

"I'm Belaphorde. Thank you for the rescue." He answered in a shaky voice, trying to find a better position between the Esper and the steering wheel.

"That's one way to react to a drive-by kidnapping, but we vibing. Hold on I'm going to do some tricks and get us into the Rift."

"Wait-” Belaphorde tried to gain some composure while he felt like a glass bottle in a shopping cart. “I have one condition."

"Yeah? I guess going into a Rift is scary. What do you want?" Kaigo’s tone changed, becoming more mocking than playful.

"Cash. Or any valuable I can take right now. I don't work for free."

Kaigo sighed. "Yo, Valentina! You got anything on you? This guy needs some emotional support money to hold on to." He put a hand off the wheel to hold on to the Guide as he used a mound as a ramp and landed right on a smaller crystal monster, crushing it under the wheels.

From the shadow under an obsidian golem appeared the panther, cutting right through the monster with its claws. Surrounded by the dying black glitter she jumped and ran alongside the dirt bike.

Who carries around cash? I only got my engagement ring and I’m not handing that over.” A boasting feminine voice echoed in Belaphorde’s head like the panther was talking from inside his skull. “You girlies figure something out.” She flicked her tail and sprinted ahead.

“Ah, fuck. Guess you gotta be happy with just saving the world and the promise of getting everything you could wish for when we are done. But since I know your type I can let you have my phone. Only thing of value on me. Left boob pocket under the suit. Code 6969.”

Belaphorde could sense the wink through Kaigo’s helmet. He felt a pit in his stomach for even having to demand money and whatever *this* was definitely did not help.

“Can we stop so we can make better seating arrangements and perhaps give me a proper explanation of what is going on-?!” Bel’s heartbeat stopped as Kaigo leaned the bike to drive past another monster.

“Too late; Rift time!”

They blasted through the hoard. Valentina destroyed anything in her path and Kaigo blasted away anything that got too close. Water, crystal dust, and mud splashed over Belaphorde in waves until they reached that gate of pure white. He held his breath and braced himself.

2