***Chapter 14: The Info Chapter***
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

White sheets. Fluorescent lights. The smell of disinfectant. Belaphorde had ended up in a miniature heaven. He imagined his mother leaning on the bed, bemused because he was still alive despite his best efforts. Ghosts can have such morbidly easygoing attitudes. It's hard, being alive, but you might as well live while life is happening. Belaphorde could hear Marianne whisper something about God, carrying our crosses, and a larger plan. One must want to work towards betterment lest they be most pitiful of all.

A radio was playing, most likely to make sure no patients would feel lonely and help with confusion as they awoke, or perhaps it was just something to listen to for the workers on monitoring duty.

"It's been twenty-four hours since the incident, we now go live to our reporter Frederica on the ground in District 12, The East Waterfront. Frederica, what's the situation?"

The host dictated in an even voice. There was a second of silence before the radio buzzed with noise.

"Indeed, I'm here at the East Waterfront and you should hear the drills and trucks behind me. Rescue searches are officially over and the priority right now is to get the outer walls up and the pumps going. Sea water is coming in from the West end and a small fortress with turrets and barbed wire has been set up in the east to keep away further monster attacks.”

"How are the people dealing with this situation? Are we ready for the Kaiju to come back?"

"We are not. People are scared. The Kaiju came as suddenly as it marched across the district and disappeared into the sea. A shared sentiment among those I've interviewed is that no one saw this coming. After rigorous scanning, it has been estimated that twenty-thousand are dead or missing. It's a tragedy unheard of in Kaleido. Right now -"

A Kaiju for a bike. The potential for a bit of cash for twenty thousand lives and all the millions inside and outside the city that must have been affected.
He swallowed hard and with surgical precision put the thought away.

"Sir, can you hear me?"

Belaphorde snapped out of his daze by the soft voice of a green-clad nurse. He nodded and tried to speak but couldn't find his voice.

"You were taken into the emergency ward. Is there any way we can identify you or anyone we can call?"

Belaphorde once again attempted to speak but couldn't say the word "phone" so he instead did charades with his hands.

"There was a phone with your things but no in-case-of-emergency options. It's on the table beside you. Give me a second I have to report that you are awake."

The nurse scurried off. Belaphorde moved his arm with a tube of blood sticking in it and found he had enough strength to pick up the phone. After some fiddling, he figured out which button got it on and was faced with a number pad over a picture of Kaigo making a silly face with a tiny spotted dog splayed on his head. With his thumb, he typed "6969" which got him to the home screen.

He found the contacts with "The Böse" at the very top. He typed "I am Belaphorde the Guide. I survived the trial period. Hire me."

His head was spinning. With a soundless sigh, he dropped the phone on his chest and closed his eyes. With this hopefully, he would not be deported. The hospital had a duty to save lives but if there was any paperless like himself they would most likely be put on a boat together and sail away once their grace period was up.

The phone vibrated on his stomach. Belaphorde made himself comfortable as the nurse returned and he was too weak to do anything more but to surrender his fate to the people not undergoing a blood transfusion.

***

Two days passed when Belaphorde was moved between wards. After a quick visit by an Esper with healing powers, Bel had recovered his ability to think, speak, move his arms, sit, but he remained physically weak and his legs were stiff as wood. He had severe anemia and the pain he had undergone while Guiding had left a lasting physical impact on his muscles and nerves.

While he was drugged up on painkillers The Böse worked their bureaucratic magic to make sure Belaphorde was not immediately shipped away. It was because of her Bel had gotten to see a healer and been prepared for evaluation.

Belaphorde had been wheeled into a meeting room on the upper floors. It was soundproofed with large windows looking out over the gardens behind the hospital. White container-like rectangles with green text stating Care™ were packed wherever there was space between the ponds, trees, and pavilions. Efficient emergency solutions.

There was a knock at the door before two women walked into the room and took seats opposite Belaphorde. They were dressed in smart suits with their hair tied back in neat buns, one black and one blonde.

“Sorry to keep you waiting Belaphorde. I am Jenny, part of the management branch at Guardian and responsible for our S-rank Espers. This is Professor Tina, our leading researcher on Guides.”

“I believe we have already caught a glimpse of each other. It’s a pleasure to finally meet the mysterious Guide that’s been whispered about around the office for quite some time now. This might be a bit forward but would you mind if I strapped this to your arm? I’ve already gotten some data from blood samples but this would give me a more accurate reading on your Guiding abilities. It takes about fifteen minutes which is why I’d like to put it on right away.”

“I don’t mind. Please, go right ahead.” Bel responded politely and offered his arm, not thinking too much about what people could have possibly said about him.

Tina strapped what looked like one of those bands that test your blood pressure with three cords going between the armband and what looked like a graphic calculator.

“Now then." Jenny took out a tiny notebook from her jacket. "We find ourselves in an emergency situation and we would like your help as a Guide that has proven to be able to handle an S-class Esper. Kaigo is currently in a catatonic condition but he is alive. We are still investigating what happened during that mission, but more importantly, we need to get together a team that can deal with the Kaiju when it comes back. We believe you could be a key player in this."

Belaphorde pondered in silence before raising a questioning finger. "Excuse me, I'm all new to this, what do we know about Kaijus? Why would it come back?"

"There's still a lot we don't know but through observations, we have noticed patterns. The Kaiju acts as a high-ranking crystal monster. Lower-ranking monsters break from regular weapons as well as Esper powers. Higher rank means higher piezoelectric density, crystal energy, causing a number of phenomena including forcing Espers to produce ichor and their bodies being less responsive to forces other than Espers abilities in a like-dissolves-like situation."

"Monsters and Espers are the same?"

"Exactly," Tina explained. "Think of it as an element. Espers powers are in gas, ichor is liquid and crystals are solid. It also means that to deal with something like a Kaiju the Esper will need to have enough strength to take it down and a Guide since we have not found another way for Espers to dissolve ichor."

Jenny tapped her fingers impatiently on her notebook. "When a Kaiju appears they usually wreak havoc before disappearing into the sea and then return to the area of their entry Rift at a set interval, usually between two to three months. The event starts with the forming of a Rift, which would give us a few hours to prepare. If the Kaiju succeeds in reaching the Rift they either will transform into a stronger form or summon yet another Kaiju before restarting the cycle. To get to the point, we have two months, we might want to hire and train you. But first, we have some questions for you, Belaphorde.”

“Go right ahead.”

“What is your experience with Guiding? Have you received any form of training?”
Belaphorde’s mind went blank for a second. There was something bizarre about being asked a normal job interview question. All he could do was shake his head and speak honestly.

“I awakened as a Guide in my early teens. Since then I’ve been doing it for a living. That’s about it.”

“Any difficulties or challenges you have with Guiding?” Tina said while leaning over to look at the device.

“I guess I often experience substantial pain. At times the Esper I’m Guiding says they become tired. This situation I’m in right now is something new.”

Jenny scribbled down a few notes. The professor hummed in understanding and looked at the measuring device, the screen blinking with numbers.

“I’m sorry Belaphorde but it seems like you have been Guding in the most exhaustive way I know. Most of these symptoms, especially with the Espers becoming tired are frankly amateur mistakes.” Tina informed him with a curt smile.

“I… I see.” Belaphorde was stumped. Had he really been so wrong?

“What’s your verdict, Tina?”

“The results are remarkable. He has been running with weights and it shows. With some instructions I see this working swimmingly. However, Belaphorde, it would seem you have been burning out for quite some time. In your current state, you are unable to do any Guiding. Do you have any Esper you resonate with? Someone that while you are Guiding them you heal?”

“Yes. My…” Belaphorde chose his next words carefully. He wanted the highest chance of having Vigo be moved into Kaleido. “My father. He is still in the Outskirts and needs medical care. When I Guide him I feel this resonance as you called it.”

“Marvelous.” The professor clapped her hands excitedly. “Maybe we can finally get an actual treatment plan for our poor Espers. What do you say, manager?”

Jenny leaned back in her chair and rubbed her hands over her face. “Finally, something is looking promising.”

“Before I agree to anything I’d like to put forward some demands.”

“Such as?” Jenny challenged.

“I need a written contract. Legal documentation for me and my Father. I want benefits, a bank account, some starting capital, a salary, and an apartment.” Belaphorde tried to think of what else he needed to cover his grounds. If only someone else with more knowledge in these matters and not with running in their ears due to bad blood was there to help.

“Noted,” Jenny replied. “However there’s only so much we can do, for now, considering our limit in time and resources. What I can promise is Guardian can hire you and your father and provide temporary working visas and we can work from there. I can also promise to provide legal guidance at a later date.”

“I trust your word manager Jenny, but I still need some cash upfront. I don’t like having to just trust in words.”

He could feel Jenny lose trust in him as she gave him a scrutinizing glare.

“One thing at a time everyone,” the professor interjected. “This is a package deal. Belaphorde can’t work if we don’t find his father first. Jenny, you will get some time to prepare for a future meeting. Belaphorde, you tell us how we are to find your father, we have a team pick him up and we can circle back when that is done.” Tina gave Belaphorde a look of reassurance and offered that they all would take a small coffee break before sitting down and Belaphorde would have to explain to them how to find Vigo in a way that would not put Tobi or any of his associates in danger.

1