Chapter 7: Family Bonding
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7: Family Bonding

 

"Pass for human?" Asked Seiko. "How is that possible? I always thought the Chimera were mindless monsters."

"Most of them are," Explained Reiko. "But they were always driven by some form of intelligence. We believe this intelligent force has somehow allowed the Chimera race to evolve what we are calling Infiltrator type forms. Whatever you do, don’t tell anybody about this."

“Won’t it help the Infiltrators if the public isn’t actively looking for them?” Asked Seiko.

“Yes,” admitted Reiko. “But we can’t risk the kind of paranoia that could occur if this becomes public knowledge. It could cause a level of chaos we just can’t deal with.”

“But what if this is just some sick prank?” Asked Seiko. “How do you know this person is telling the truth?”

“Well, since I’m already breaching confidentiality to warn you,” Said Reiko. “The source pointed us towards one Infiltrator. We managed to confirm that he was a Chimera and we have taken him into custody.”

“Were there any tell-tale signs?” Asked Seiko, fidgeting slightly. “I mean, if they’re hidden amidst ourselves maybe there’s something we can use to identify them.”

“Unfortunately no.” Replied Reiko. “The one we caught looked just like an ordinary salaryman. If there were any flaws, we couldn’t detect any.”

“I’m scared.” Said Seiko, this time invoking the memories of being threatened by Eiji and the arrival of the beast’s mother in the Blackened Lands. “How do we know who to trust?”

“Just be on the lookout for anyone acting suspiciously and don’t take any unnecessary risks.” Instructed Reiko. “Call Asgard, leave the fighting to the professionals and don’t be afraid to live your life.”

Seiko smiled. “Of course. I always feel safer with you guys around.” She said, sincerely.

“I know you’re scared and all, but you don’t have to be.” Said Reiko, patting Seiko on the head. “I think it’s because of our samurai ancestors your sis picked up the katana, but that wasn’t the only weapon they used. Maybe you could learn archery instead, just like how I was an archer way back then.”

“I don’t think I can get away with carrying a bow and arrows all the time.” Responded Seiko.

“It’s mostly to train your upper body strength and hand-eye coordination.” Said Reiko. “And you’ll have a little fun doing so. So, what do you say?”

“Yeah, that sounds great.” Replied Seiko. “Does this mean I get to use your old bow?”

Reiko laughed. “Well, technically it doesn’t belong to me, but I’m sure I can sneak it out sometime. Just about the only thing I can’t do is sneak you in.”

“Darn, I was going to ask you if I could see sis while she’s recovering.” Said Seiko with a bit of disappointment.

“Yeah, Arikawa’s kind of a hardass.” Said Reiko. “He’s never going to change his whole ‘employees only’ policy at Valhalla, but when Kuroha wakes up, you’ll be the first to know.

“Now let’s go shoot some targets.”

 

Reiko drove, using her car, to an archery range which she used to frequent in her youth. Not only did the staff there still recognise her, but they had newspaper clippings of her as a Valkyrie as well as pictures of her at the range. They even let the aunt and niece practice for free, as thanks for helping their business via association.

“Okay, so you hold the bow like this,” Instructed Reiko. “Position your legs like so. Attach the arrow to the nocking point. Grip the bowstring with these three fingers. Draw, aim and …

“Fire!”

Seiko released the arrow. She managed to hit the target (the very edge, but that still counted in her eyes) and let out a cheer.

“That wasn’t bad at all.” Said Reiko as she patted Seiko on the back. “If you keep doing this, you’ll get stronger and you’ll be able to pull the string back further.”

Of course Seiko already could pull it back further, but she thought it might look somewhat suspicious if her first shot punched through the target and lodged itself in the middle of the wall.

“It’s too bad your sister won’t let you in the Einherjar.” Said Reiko. “You’d be great there.”

“While I’d be happier to spend more time with Kuro,” Started Seiko. “I’m not sure I’d want to kill the Chimera, or anything else for that matter. I wish nobody had to fight.”

She though back to the beast she had killed with Zernyl back then. The one who was content to live in a cave with its mother. She then though of the Shadelings and started to feel a bit of shame for having casually killed a few of them, even if it was in self-defence.

“Listen, I know you’re a very empathetic girl.” Said Reiko. “But I just don’t think it’s possible to live in peace with the Chimera. You remember what they did to our family don’t you?”

Try as she might, Seiko could not figure out what Reiko meant by that question, but she could still pretend.

“Of course I remember.” Responded Seiko. “Still, maybe there’s more to the Chimera than just mindless violence. I mean, if they’ve learned to act human then maybe they can think like humans and can be reasoned with.”

“I wish they could.” Said Reiko, wistfully. “Look, let’s just stop thinking about the Chimera for the time being and continue with our archery.

The lessons continued with Seiko getting steadily better and better. By closing time, Seiko had managed to consistently get quite close to the centre, though she didn’t manage to get any bullseyes.

 

“Wasn’t that fun?” Asked Reiko, while they were in the car.

Seiko nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah, that was great. Thank you so much for taking me here.”

“It was nothing.” Said Reiko. “So shall we look for something to eat?”

“Sounds great.” Responded Seiko with enthusiasm. “I was thinking Italian. I’ve overheard my classmates talking about this place which opened last month.”

The two drove to a mid-price restaurant in the shopping district. Although there was a Chimera attack in the area just two days ago, the quick response of the Valkyries (minus Kuroha) and the diligence of the construction workers meant that the district had nearly recovered already.

Reiko ordered the spaghetti carbonara while her niece ordered the napolitan (with extra carrots).

“Oh my, there’s a lot of people staring at us.” Asked Reiko.

“You’re still wearing your Aesir uniform.” Answered Seiko. “And you’re a former Valkyrie too.”

“Well, guess I never really got used to the celebrity lifestyle.” Said Reiko. “By the way, why did you order extra carrots? I thought you hated them. I remember that time when you snuck them onto my plate, then I snuck them onto your sister’s.”

“Well, I thought they’d help my eyesight.” Lied Seiko. “Maybe I can stop wearing glasses if I eat enough.”

Reiko laughed. “One, vitamin A doesn’t work that way and two, your glasses complement you really well. You don’t need to get rid of them.”

“Thanks,” said Seiko as she let out a little chuckle. “But the carrots have kinda grown on me.”

 

While they were eating, Seiko was also drinking much more water than usual. She needed to tell the Chosen that Asgard was onto them and going to the toilet was a perfect excuse to use to get away from her aunt for a while.

“Hey, I think I need to use the bathroom real quick.” Said Seiko, about midway through her meal. “I won’t be long.”

Seiko went to the bathroom and found herself an unoccupied stall. She entered it and pulled out her phone as she sat on the toilet.

Wait, what was Ms. Terada’s phone number again? Darn, I never got it in the first place.

Of course, there was one thing she could do. Go on her schools website to find the phone number of the school administrator and call it.

“I really need to speak to Ms. Kirie Terada.” Said Seiko. “It’s important.”

“What do you need to talk about?” Asked the admin.

“It’s sort of a personal matter.” Replied Seiko. “Look, please, I just need her phone number.”

The admin gave Seiko Terada’s phone number, which Seiko proceeded to call.

“I’m sorry, I’m not available at this current time.” Announced a pre-recorded message. “Please leave a message after the beep.

Seiko called Ms. Terada’s phone two more times, only to get the same response.

Argh! This is so annoying! I’ll just have to tell her after school tomorrow.

Suddenly, Seiko heard a slight ringing in her head.

Hello Seiko, you must be surprised to hear this.” Said Ms. Terada’s voice. “The object you and the others retrieved yesterday has allowed me to speak into your mind. Thank you so much for your help.”

Seiko tried to respond with her mind. “Ms. Terada, I need to tell y—”

“And just so you know, this communication is one-way only.” Explained Terada. “I can send my thoughts to you but I can’t hear yours.”

Darn, just as I got my hopes up.

“I know you’re in the shopping district.” Said the Teacher’s voice. “There’s going to be a convoy passing carrying a person of interest nearby that will be attacked by the Chosen and our allies. You’re not experienced enough to be taking part, so just act like you’re not one of us. That’s an order.”

The ringing in her head stopped as the activity in there returned to its normal level.

She said to act normal, but maybe I can get Aunt Reiko away from here.

 

Seiko returned from the bathroom only to find a girl with short hair sitting next to Reiko at their table. Reiko turned to look at Seiko as she was walking back, causing the girl to turn around and wave to Seiko.

“There you are!” Shouted the girl as Seiko sat back down in her seat. “I’ve actually wanted to meetcha for a while. Kuro’s said a ton of great things about you.”

“Well, it’s great to meet you too.” Said Seiko, looking slightly embarrassed. “But I’m sure she was exaggerating. I’m really nothing special.”

“You’re just as humble as she said you were!” Shouted the girl. “And you’re just as cute too!

“Oh wait, I haven’t introduced myself. I’m Natsumi Hino, your sister’s one and only friend and rival.”

“I-I already knew who you were.” Said Seiko. “You’re a Valkyrie after all.”

“Ooh, did Kuro tell you all about me?” Asked Natsumi. “What did she say?”

“I meant I knew who you were because you’re famous.” Said Seiko as Natsumi gained a slightly disappointed look on her face. “Well actually, sis did say you had potential.”

“She did?” Said Natsumi as her eyes lit up. “That’s amazing! I’m so happy right now!”

I’m never going to get them away at this rate.

“Hey Natsumi,” Said Reiko. “You know you’re supposed to go back soon.”

“I know,” Said Natsumi. “I just wanted to spend more time with Seiko.”

Natsumi got up off her seat and started to walk away. “Well, I want to avoid being yelled at even more. Reiko, I’m looking forward to hearing more about Kuro’s past and Seiko, let’s meet up more often! The co— the thingy’s gonna be a hundred percent safe while I’m there to protect it! Bye!”

Natsumi ran out the restaurant and out of eyeshot.

“Don’t you need to go back too?” Asked Seiko to Reiko.

“I can stay a while longer”. Said Reiko, as she continued eating her spaghetti, which was almost finished. “I haven’t been assigned to the same mission as Natsumi.”

 “Kuro specifically told me to not go out while the Valkyries are active,” Said Seiko. “We should probably get home too before then.”

“You should finish your meal first.” Said Reiko. “You’re only halfway done and I don’t think this restaurant lets you take your leftovers home. I don’t think my sister raised you to waste food either.”

Seiko ate her napolitan quicker than usual but not too quickly to avoid raising suspicions. Just as she finished her plate, she noticed a familiar boy with blonde hair leave the restaurant. He noticed her too and gave her a wink.

Eiji’s here? Is he part of the attack too?

“This place is great, isn’t it?” Said Reiko as she paid for the both of them. “I think I’ll come here more often.”

“Me too.” Said Seiko as the two moved into the sidewalk. “Who knows, maybe we’ll me—”

Right in front of Seiko, a man in dark red scary-looking Mythrite armour, wreathed in flames and holding a spear dropped down from the sky as an armoured convoy consisting of white coloured armoured vehicles with the Asgard logo painted on them approached.

The man laughed, his voice distorted under the helmet.

“Run!”

0