Chapter 2: Disappointment
363 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Michael's steps were heavy as he trudged back to his apartment, the weight of Professor Ellis's words settling around him like a cloak. The cool evening air did little to clear the fog of disappointment and annoyance that clouded his thoughts. He had found solace in the routine and predictability of his current life, and the prospect of being thrust back into the unpredictable world of research left him feeling unmoored.

 

As he neared his apartment, Michael realised he needed to refill his inhaler. He diverted his path to the small pharmacy nestled between a bakery and a convenience store on the corner of his street. The bell above the door jingled softly as he entered, the familiar scent of antiseptics and medicine greeting him.

 

He made his way to the counter, asking for a refill of his prescription. The pharmacist, a middle-aged man with a kind face and gentle eyes, retrieved it but not without a sympathetic tilt of his head. "Just so you know, the price has gone up a bit since your last refill," he mentioned as he rang up the purchase.

 

Michael frowned, handing over his card. "Again? That's the second time this year."

 

The pharmacist nodded, his expression turning rueful. "Yeah, it's been happening a lot lately. There's been another merger among the big pharmaceutical companies. It's driving prices up across the board."

 

Michael sighed, his frustration growing. "It's ridiculous. You'd think with all the advancements, medication would become more accessible, not less."

 

"Unfortunately, that's the way it's been going. Healthcare in this country can be a real joke sometimes," the pharmacist agreed, handing Michael his bag.

 

The exchange left Michael even more disheartened as he stepped back onto the street, the pharmacy bag in hand. The reality of his situation sank in deeper with each step. The world outside the university's walls was not just one of exciting research opportunities but also one filled with complexities and challenges he had been happy to avoid.

 

The issue with his inhaler was just a small symptom of a much larger problem, and it made him wonder about the broader impacts of returning to a field that often seemed just as profit-driven as any other. The thought of engaging in work that could potentially be influenced by the same forces that made his medication unaffordable was disconcerting.

 

By the time Michael reached his apartment, the initial shock of Professor Ellis's ultimatum had faded, replaced by a swirling mix of uncertainty, determination, and a newfound awareness of the challenges that lay beyond the academic world. As he was about to unlock his door, he knew that the path forward wouldn't be easy, but perhaps it was necessary. The comfort of his current existence had blinded him to the realities outside his bubble, and if he was going to make a meaningful impact, he would have to confront those realities head-on.

8