Chapter 1- In which Calais just wants a break
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The only thing Calais thought about, as she pushed open the door to her rental apartment, was taking a shower, changing into her pajamas and relaxing the whole evening.

Her day had been extremely busy. First, she got up at seven am, because she had to go to an event at nine. Then, right after said event ended, she had to take a taxi to the other side of the city where her college was located. When that ended, she had to meet up with some friends that she didn’t even really like. And on top of all that, she fought with a waitress.

So, naturally, she was tired and didn’t want to talk to anybody.

Except, her amazing goddess mom was there to annoy her.

As soon as Calais entered, the goddess yelled:

,,Hiiii! Back home early today I see!”

Calais stared at the clock she had hung on the wall three months prior, when she first moved in.

,,It’s actually late” she said ,,already nine pm…”

The goddess took a seat on Calais’ bed, which annoyed the girl.

,,In any case, how was your day?” 

,,What do you want, Verita?” Calais asked, as she placed her bag down.

,,To chat with you? What do you want Calais?”

,,You to get off my bed” Calais mumbled ,,Listen, I’m very tired and would like to relax and sleep…”

Verita crossed her legs and scoffed. She ran a hand through her long hair.

,,You can relax while talking too.”

Calais didn’t respond to that remark and instead took some clothes out of her closet and then went to take the bath she had been waiting for, while also kind of slamming the door behind her in the process.

,,What am I going to do with her…” Verita thought, before deciding that it would be best to leave Calais alone. With a quick hand motion she disappeared into thin air

A few months ago, before Calais started packing for college, the white-eyed goddess suddenly showed up in her house, screaming that she had found her long lost daughter. Calais had been very scared and went to tell her parents. Instead, both her mothers had laughed at her and told her that she really needed more sleep.

And so, Calais had now been deemed as crazy while also having a goddess following her around almost every day.

Calais hated having someone cling to her 24/7, especially if that person didn’t know when to shut up. So, she decided to ignore Verita for the most part. And mostly, avoiding to acknowledge her presence.

As for the goddess herself, she absolutely adored Calais, which resulted in her clinging on to her so-called daughter even more.

When Calais exited the bathroom, now dressed very cozy in neon pink pajamas, she let out a heavy sigh, and then dropped onto her bed.

Forget about the day she had, the whole week had been terrible! Especially since she had lots of exams and events she needed to take part in.

Now that the week had ended, Calais finally had time to relax and enjoy the simple pleasures of life, which, in her case, were biscuits and tea.

And plus, the number one annoyance had left!

As soon as the clock hit 11 pm, she went to sleep, much too tired to think about exams and immortal goddesses that somehow adopted her.

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

The moment Calais woke up the next day, she was sure that something bad was going to happen.

Whenever she had that sort of feeling, ever since the goddess had appeared in her life, a terrible event was bound to take place.

Which is why Calais kind of wanted to cry. Her week had been terrible and tiring enough, so she didn’t need something bad to go down.

With that in her mind, she decided to stay home the whole day, so she could avoid whatever was meant to happen. First, she decided to go brush her teeth and then make herself something to eat.

At first, it sounded like a very good plan, until, right when she entered the bathroom, she was met with the following sight: A girl, sleeping peacefully in her bathtub.

Calais stared at her and then remembered she was supposed to be yelling for help. Instead of an actual yell, more of a squeak came out.

The girl in the bathtub opened her eyes. Just like her dress, they were blue, only a much lighter shade. Her short, dark brown hair, with a long sidetail was making her look very aesthetically pleasing.

,,Morning” she said ,,Comfy bath you’ve got.”

Calais felt like fainting.

,,I was about to steal your blanket too, but, oh well, you woke up.”

Calais was really taking the fainting option into consideration.

,,Fancy meeting you though, Cala-i-s, I assume?” The girl got out of the bathtub. She was now towering over Calais.

,,Actually” Calais began ,,You’ve pronounced it wrong.”

,,Well, it’s not my fault your name is complicated” the girl said and reached out, so they could shake hands ,,The name’s Beryl.”

,,Like the stone?” Calais asked and then shook her head ,,Forget that, why are you here? How did you enter my house?”

Because Verita was always coming in and out whenever she liked, finding a girl in her bathroom wasn’t so shocking. Calais still thought it might’ve been nice if she wouldn’t get another goddess this time.

,,So, heard your goddess is Verita. Isn’t that pretty boring ?Do you even have any cool powers?” Beryl asked then yawned.

,,Uhm…why did you change the subject though… And no, I don’t have any…cool powers” Calais replied ,,But yeah, to answer your question, she is. Why? Are you another goddess?”

Beryl blinked a few times then burst out laughing. It took her about twenty seconds to calm down. She smirked.

,,Why, do I look that pretty to you?”

Calais gulped.

,,No. So…?”

Beryl crossed her arms.

,,Well? Are you going to stand with them or not?”

Calais also blinked in return.

,,Them who?”

Beryl walked past her, opened the bathroom door and stepped out into the room. She looked around, analyzing everything.

Eventually, after making sure that Verita wasn’t snooping around, she said:

,,Does she bother you?” Beryl asked ,,That…shitty immortal.”

Calais didn’t know how to respond. Verita did indeed bother her a lot. Yet, sometimes…she sort of missed the happy presence of the goddess.

,,If you stand with them, I don’t mind” Beryl calmly said.

,,I don’t understand” Calais cut Beryl off ,,What the hell are you talking about?”

Beryl turned to her.

,,Let’s discuss this…over a cup of tea.”

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

Calais now stared at the girl in front of her. Beryl looked very unbothered as she placed her cup of tea down.

,,So…let me guess. One day a random goddess showed up, named Verita.”

,,She claims that I’m her long lost child” Calais added. Beryl laughed again.

,,Well, that’s awfully far from the truth. You’re her…successor. I mean, we all are, in a way. These gods…every few centuries they look for someone to take over their position. They train them for a bit and eventually bring them to their grand palace, where all gods reside. Everyone should be there by now, except you. Why hasn’t Verita brought you there yet?”

,,Wait…she…”

,,Didn’t tell you anything about it? How…awfully convenient. Didn’t even let you have a choice. But also, that was a smart move.”

Calais didn’t respond.

,,In any case, Verita’s plan was, probably, the following: Bring you to the palace in a week and then have you forced to become the next goddess in her place.”

Calais opened her mouth in shock. Beryl frowned, placed her hand under her chin and closed it.

,,There, there. This is such a shocker! Goodness. Anyway, you have two options right now.”

,,And those would be…?”

,,Option one” Beryl raised a finger ,,You go with Verita and the rest and become the successor.”

,,Yeah that’s sort of out of the question…”

,,Or option two” Beryl said ,,You join the rebellion.”

,,What rebellion?” Calais asked ,,Listen I don’t know the others…or much about the whole situation. So, explain.”

,,Well…there are about…9 without you and including me. They’ve all been chosen. Two of them are starting a rebellion. One is Natty the other one’s named Vincent. Natty hates everything about the powers that have been bestowed upon her. Vincent…was chosen to become a god by accident. So they’re starting a rebellion. Are you going to join them?”

,,Well, that depends…do they have any chance of winning?”

,,With you, they might” Beryl smiled ,,Natty would love to have you.”

,,Are you really on the not rebelling side though? Because it sounds to me like you’re trying to convince me to join the rebellion instead. Or…you’re not Beryl. Maybe you’re Natty. I have no reason to trust you.”

,,Fair enough” Beryl shrugged ,,But what will you choose, Cala-i-s? Rebelling and carrying on with your life” Beryl closed her eyes ,,Or becoming a god? Though, if I were you, I would choose the first. After all, immortality is a myth.”

,,And what do you mean by that…?”

,,You will find out, if you join me.”

Just then, Beryl’s features started transforming. Her skin had become a darker shade. Her eyes shone green and her hair was the same color as before, only longer and with green highlights.

The girl who was now standing in front of Calais reached in her pocket. She took a hair tie out and put her hair up into a bun.

,,You are…” 

,,Take a wild guess” the girl grinned.

,,Natty. The one with the rebellion” Calais guessed ,,You wanted to know my opinion because you’re running short on time. You disguised yourself as Beryl so you could find out my opinion. But this conversation got tiring and long so you decided to reveal yourself.”

,,Good job” Natty clapped her hands ,,In any case, join us. You’ve got nothing to lose.”

,,We just met” Calais said ,,I’ve got every reason not to trust you.”

,,And you’d rather trust the person who almost tricked you into becoming a goddess?”

Calais remained silent.

0