Chapter 5
468 4 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After receiving the system's instructions, Maxwell was left naked. He had thought it strange at first, but the system explained that his body would be destroyed and rebuilt, if there were clothes they could hinder the process, or worse.

A red screen appeared with a big warning.

[Maxwell Williams, you are about to begin the process of Regeneration. This decision is irreversible and will result in the complete restoration of your body, your stat points however, will be reset to 1. Do you wish to proceed with Regeneration?]

"Yes, I agree!"

With his confirmation, Maxwell felt his body numb and a screen with several strange codes appeared in his vision, he didn't have time to understand their meaning as he lost consciousness seconds later.

[Starting Regeneration...

RSPN Modular BIOS v1.639

Copyright (C) Hammond Robotics

GT52-UH7-C

Hammond Robotics Bootloader v832.42.007b

Verifying Consistency...................
Done.

Exec regen_respawn.cfg  -loopback 255  -verbose

Execing config: regen respawn.cfq

Hunk_OnregenStart: 67108864
Validating Operator Credentials...
OVERRIDE!! Auth code BISH-FU
Flashing BIOS version 2.0....................
Done.

cl_reboot  -soft  -remote

Reinitializing Software. please wait...]

A frightening scene, to say the least, was unfolding in Maxwell's body. His flesh seemed to dissolve like wisps of steam, revealing the pulsating red muscles underneath, which were soon consumed, exposing the raw vulnerability of his internal organs. Despite the chaos, Maxwell's heart continued its frantic pace, his heart's efforts were in vain and it soon stopped beating, succumbing to Regeneration.

Maxwell's skeleton seemed to resist for a moment, but even with all its resistance, it ended up becoming dust particles, disappearing into the wind.

From nothing, a single molecule fuses with others to become an atom and is meticulously assembled by the process of regeneration. Maxwell's body begins to come together like a mass of muddy clay, he looks like a disfigured abomination, but after a few minutes of refining, the mass comes together and defines, revealing Maxwell's youthful face.

Suddenly Maxwell's eyes widened and as a newborn baby emerged from its mother's womb he let out a high-pitched scream, his body pulsing with an intense burning sensation.

"ARGHHHH!!!"

Maxwell stood up, startled, but was abruptly knocked down again by the oppressive weight of gravity on his newly regenerated body.

*BAM!

"Ouch!" He groaned as he felt his new nerves register the sensation of his first fall. With effort, he tried to get up again, rocking from side to side like a child in its first uncertain steps.

"Shit, I feel so exhausted!" Maxwell was unable to stand up for long before lying down and giving up against the gravitational force.

[11 stat points have been refunded, please choose which stats to use]

"Ugh, so that's where the points that exceed the requirements end up." Maxwell didn't have to think too much about what to spend. "5 in INT, 3 in END, 2 in STR, and 1 in DEX."

Maxwell felt his body gain a little strength, at least enough to support his weight.

[Depositing rewards from your first regeneration]

'Sweet, let's see what toys I get' A smile grows on Maxwell, the best part of Regeneration.

[1x Pilot's outfit + Blueprint]

[1x Tactical Ability + Blueprint]

[1x Jump Kit + Blueprint]

[1x Primary Weapon + Blueprint]

[1x Passive]

[Choose your pilot's uniform]

A screen appears with various military pilot outfits. Maxwell doesn't take long on this tab and quickly chooses the Pulse Blade pilot outfit. It was the uniform he thought was the coolest.

The uniform then materialized in front of Maxwell, who picked it up and put it on, as he was still naked and the cold was starting to bother him.

Spoiler

Pulse Blade Pilot

[collapse]

Maxwell also sees his Jump Kit straight away, he equips it just behind his waist, a little above his buttocks.

"I hope I got it right, or my ass is going to be barbecued."

Spoiler

Jump kit

[collapse]

After fumbling for a while, he finally managed to get dressed and went to a nearby mirror.

"Oh my, some hot man broke into my house... no, wait, it's me." Maxwell took off his helmet and was almost startled to see his face, he looked several years younger. "The system wasn't kidding when it said it would regenerate my body."

"Anyway, on to the next one"

[Choose your Tactical Ability]

[Cloak: It allows the pilot to become temporarily invisible, making it difficult for enemies to detect.]

[Pulse Blade: Throws a pulse blade that temporarily reveals the location of nearby enemies, providing valuable information about the environment.]

[Stim: Provides a temporary increase in movement speed and health recovery, allowing the pilot a quick and agile advantage on the battlefield.]

[Grapple: Fires a hook that attaches to surfaces, allowing the user to move quickly around the environment, reach high areas, or escape from danger.]

[Phase Shift: Instantly transports the user to an alternative dimension for a short period of time, making them immune to damage and allowing them to escape from dangerous situations.]

[A-Wall: Generates a portable energy shield that provides temporary cover and protection against enemy attacks, allowing the user to defend strategic positions.]

[Holo pilot: Creates a holographic projection of the pilot, confusing enemies and distracting their attention, allowing tactical maneuvers and flanking.]

"I choose Phase Shift."

Maxwell was no fool, blame Respawn. Tactical had its specialties, but when it came to survival, Phase Shift stood out above the rest. He's very fond of Pulse Blade, but he's not in a game, but in real life, there was no second chance.

A glove then materialized in front of Maxwell, and he quickly put it on his left hand.

Spoiler

Phase Shift glove

[collapse]

"Cool, but, how do I activate this thing?"

Maxwell snapped his fingers, clenched them into fists, and then wiggled them in a futile attempt to activate the Phase Shift. Frustration crept into his expression as he tried every gesture he could think of, even mimicking the iconic Spider-Man web-shooting pose, but to no avail.

[You need to choose the hand signal that will activate the glove. Choose a signal and stay in that position for 1 minute, then repeat the signal 10 times successfully, this will define it as the activation signal. Don't choose an everyday movement.]

Maxwell chooses an "OK" hand signal, Jack Cooper rarely did it, but it was always nice to see when it happened.

Performing the signal, Maxwell was amazed to see his apartment turn gray and lifeless; he was now in an alternate dimension where no one could hurt him.

After exactly two seconds, he comes back to reality, a little thoughtful. Could Lilith enter his dimension? She was a Siren with space power, something to consider. The lights on the glove turned red, and after 15 seconds returned to the standard blue, indicating that it was ready to be used again.

'I can answer my questions about this later, but perhaps she's the only one with the possibility.'

[Choose your primary weapon]

A new screen opens with a huge arsenal, Maxwell realizes that there were both weapons from Titanfall 1 and 2, a pleasant surprise. He didn't take long and chose a CAR, an automatic submachine gun with a capacity of 30 bullets and non-existent recoil.

Spoiler

CAR smg

[collapse]

The system also gave him two more magazines, three in total, counting what was already in the gun, which Maxwell was grateful for.

[Choose a passive]

"Hmm, no new options? I choose Mechanic so." After seeing that there were no other new options, Maxwell chose the one he wanted most.

"*Phew, I think that's it" 

'Stats'

_____

Name: Maxwell Williams

Regeneration: 1

STR: 3

END: 4

DEX: 2

INT: 6

_____

Tactical Ability: [Phase Shift]

Boost: [None]

Skills: [Fast Regen lv.2] [Auditory Control lv.1] [Trigger Discipline lv.2] [Mechanic lv.1] [CQC Repertoire]

_____

"My [Fast Regen] has finally leveled up." He wondered how much he had improved, but that would be for later, he wouldn't be shooting himself to test its effectiveness.

Looking at the time on his ECHO, Maxwell realized that it was still early; his Regeneration hadn't taken long, something like half an hour or so.

Maxwell goes to change and puts his uniform and CAR inside the ECHO, leaving only his Phase glove and Jump Kit, as he feels very safe with the Phase glove. Maxwell wanted to test his Jump Kit but his apartment was too small for it, so he left his apartment and went to a place in the metropoles where the buildings were abandoned. He wanted to test this engineering marvel.

He stood between two buildings, warming up a little and starting to run to gain momentum. Approaching the wall, he activates his Jump Kit and begins to run up the wall, but after two steps he falls to the ground.

"Damn it, they make it look so easy." Although he didn't succeed, there was a smile on his face, unwilling to give up at the first attempt. 

Maxwell had fun until the afternoon, wanting to master his proficiency with the glorified jetpack.

19