CH 5 Into The Abyss We Go.
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sudden change in the communication channel made Norman feel a strong crisis in his life.

In just a few minutes, hundreds of people were already dead.

It is hard to imagine how many people will be buried in the endless abyss when the ice layer collapses, buried in this dead and dark icy seabed, and forgotten.

Let us not forget this cruel mechanic from minutes ago that forced pioneers to move from the spawn point. The game threw us abyss monsters, so Norman drove his submarine and left the spawn point as soon as possible, or he would fall like the rest.

Although it is still unclear whether this threat mechanism is going to happen every time the game wants us to move, Norman hopes it is only aimed at the vicinity of the spawn point; if not, it will spread to the entire seven days.

But Norman didn't dare to gamble his life.

"Let's hurry; I need to start up the submarine!"

Norman took a deep breath, no longer hesitating, no longer delaying.

Calling up the control interface of the submarine, after a simple look around, I quickly became familiar with the control mode of the submarine.

Fortunately, perhaps for the convenience of players, the operation of the submarine adopts a fool-like control, which is very convenient and does not require too many complicated operations.

Forward and backward, up and down—all can be achieved through the buttons on the center console.

Norman didn't have time to choose a direction; he drove the submarine straight ahead.

The roar of the engine's propeller sounded.

The submarine started slowly.

About twenty or thirty meters ahead, the searchlight's dim light illuminated the scene.

The water flow expelled the white flocculent organic matter, which quickly swept away from the porthole to both sides and looked like cotton wool flying in the air.

However, in this dark and dead-deep sea, apart from those white floating objects, nothing else could be seen.

Outside the range of the searchlights, there is endless darkness in all directions.

The light shines through the water, and as there is no reference at all to the subs moving, it feels just like being in a dark void.

Not to mention abyss monsters—not even a single fish could be seen.

Such a scene made Norman feel like shit.

Because under normal circumstances, no matter what the light hits, it will always get feedback from some sort of object, making people feel at least some sense of existence.

But the submarine's searchlights do not shine toward anything that can reflect back.

There is nothing but darkness for crying out loud.

There is no way to tell what is waiting for you in the deepest depths of the abyss.

Humanity's fear of the unknown is its deepest fear.

Norman finally realized this; he never in his life thought that he would feel such dread of the darkness.

The scene in front of him made him almost get a deep-sea phobia; will he know that getting something like that means death?

Moreover, the sea area where he is located seems to be very barren, with no fish or aquatic plants. Everything is empty and looks extremely desolate.

Fortunately, after about ten minutes, the submarine gradually approached the seabed.

The submarine search light reflected on the seabed; it gave Norman a real sense of existence, and he felt relief.

However, the flat seabed was dead as well, covered with yellow sand and black rock.

Apart from that, there is no trace of any living beings; it was nothing more than a dead zone.

The only thing that made Norman feel more at ease was that the abyss monsters encountered by other pioneers did not seem to exist here yet.

After driving for more than ten minutes, the surrounding scenery did not change.

During this period, Norman took the time to take a look at the regional channel and found that most of the people had already recovered from the panic and gradually started to set sail as well.

And for the abyss monster that attacked, as the pioneers kept leaving the spawn point, the frequency of attacks has also greatly reduced.

The significance of the appearance of those abyss monsters before seems to be, as the Black Pearl said, simply an act to force the pioneers to leave and not to chase them.

It was only at this time that the pioneers could finally breathe a sigh of relief, and their scared hearts were temporarily relieved.

However, there was still a commotion in the communication channel.

The loss of life did not make people feel the slightest joy but caused a lot of panic.

At this moment, everyone realized the seriousness of the matter.

The people who were at a loss were suddenly alerted; this was no longer the world they were familiar with.

Everything has changed, and there are deadly creatures lurking around!

If you can't adapt as soon as possible and master the rules of survival, I am afraid that the people who can reach the first gathering outpost alive will never exceed one-fifth of the total number of people!

While driving the submarine, Norman silently peeked at the screen.

After watching for a while, he found out that the first round of crisis seemed to have been completely resolved, and there was no more valuable information to look at, so I closed the communication channel.

After checking the sonar detection system repeatedly to confirm that there were no abyss monsters nearby, Norman gradually slowed down his progress and began to formulate a plan.

Now, the key issues before him are food and fresh water.

If the basic conditions for survival are guaranteed, he confidently and boldly searches for supplies in the area and upgrades his sub or equipment for himself.

For food, he can use edible fiber and fresh water to make energy bars through the crafting station to satisfy his hunger.

Or catch small fish and make grilled fish to fill his stomach.

However, Norman has lived in cities since he was a child, let alone fishing in the deep sea; he has never even been to the seaside and has absolutely no experience in this area.

Before making fishing nets, which he has no experience using, it won't be easy to eat grilled fish.

Therefore, his only option left is to make energy bars for the time being.

However, there is a prerequisite for making energy bars, namely, 100 ml of fresh water.

In other words, before that, he had to make a fresh water extractor; otherwise, he wouldn't even be able to eat energy bars.

"It seems that the foundation of everything has to start with the fresh water extractor, so my first goal now is to find 5 parts iron and 5 parts copper first."

"Or, just follow the golden text, find the old nest for the deep-sea crab, and grab a few crabs to fill his stomach."

Norman pondered and focused his eyes on the sonar display beside him.

After the life-threatening run just now, he was far away from the spawn point where he was born or teleported.

In more than ten minutes, he drove the submarine for a distance of about two or three kilometers, and the sonar detection system could not detect the HV points now.

It is obviously impossible to go back to the old den of deep-sea crabs.

However, with the voyage during this period, new HV points were spotted on the three-dimensional virtual map.

It's just that the number is a bit low—only three.

Norman looked intently at each green dot.

(Info Drop: At 320 meters.) There is a pile of iron ore. Hurry up and grab it. If you miss this resource point, you will not know when you will encounter it again.)

(Info Drop: At a distance of 445 meters, you are fortunate to find a piece of seagrass rooted in a barren zone. It has no special value in itself, but it is a natural breeding ground for some crustaceans. Look carefully, and you may find something good!)

(Info Drop: a distance of 478 meters, a storage box that flutters with the ocean current at no fixed point, lying quietly on the bottom of the seabed; no one knows what is stored in it; maybe it is a pile of rotten junk; maybe it is precious weapons and ammunition; or it may be a scarce material; everything is unknown.)

This time, Norman was indeed lucky.

There are no abyss monsters in those three HV points, and all of them have value.

In addition to iron ore, although the resource display of the other two HV points is not clear enough, in the early stages of seven days, even a pile of junk can still exert its value.

Iron ore is a key material for making a fresh water extractor, and it cannot be ignored in any case.

At the moment, Norman didn't think much and just drove the submarine, heading straight for the nearest pile of iron ore.

About five minutes later, the three-dimensional virtual map showed that the submarine was only 40 meters away from the iron ore.

The HV point is marked at the entrance of a seafloor fissure diagonally in front of the submarine.

That narrow seafloor fissure is impossible to pass through with the size of the submarine, and there is protruding reef terrain nearby, which makes it difficult for the submarine to approach.

At this time, he can only rely on manual extraction.

Norman slowly parked the submarine above the reef and then got up from the driver's seat.

Now is the time to man up; he can no longer hesitate.

Coming to the cabinet at the entrance of the airlock, it took a long time to put on the diving suit.

Then, he took the hand-held mining tool.

As well as the diving knife and harpoon.

Even if the sonar detection system did not detect the existence of aquatic creatures nearby, Norman had to be careful.

He was ready to go.

Norman took a deep breath, opened the door of the airlock, and stepped inside.

Following that, the rear hatch leading to the living cabin was instantly closed.

He presses the button on the door again, and the gate on the outer wall of the submarine slowly opens.

Immediately, the dark and icy sea water poured in from the outside, completely submerging Norman in an instant.

Immediately afterwards, a huge pressure lay upon him, and his body hit the floor of the sub instantly, as his body was hurting from the impact.

"Fuck me!"

Norman, who had no idea why this was happening, suffered for his inexperience.

He only had time to utter a curse.

In the next moment, with the continuous influx of seawater, the pressure instantly enveloped his whole body.

Norman felt as if he were carrying a refrigerator, or possibly two of them, on his back; his entire body was under immense pressure, and he thought his stomach was about to rupture!

Fortunately, this feeling was only experienced for a short moment.

When the oxygen system inside the diving suit started working, the diving suit began to resist the pressure of the seawater.

The suffocating feeling of pressure finally eased, and the only thing left was the coldness of the water and the tension of leaving the sub.

Norman was grasping violently for air and held his hands on the edge of the outer wall of the submarine for a long time before finally readjusting his state.

Feeling the biting cold that gradually spread throughout his body, he shivered involuntarily.

After looking around for a while, he couldn't help cursing out.

"So this is the deep sea of an alien planet, more than two thousand meters under a layer of ice... huh?! It's so fucking cold, for fucks sake!"

2