Chapter 1: In the Beginning
162 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the dawn of 1920, within a humble abode in New Orleans, Louisiana, a woman named Katherine Arnaud found herself on the precipice of death. The room, awash in the soft radiance of sunlight seeping through lace curtains, was heavy with a somber silence, broken only by the rhythm of her labored breaths.

Beside her, seated in an upholstered armchair, was Alastor Alexander Arnaud, a man in his late twenties. His spiky chestnut hair, brimming with vitality, contrasted sharply with his pallid complexion. His brown eyes, slightly slanted, held a playful gleam that hinted at the mischief within. His attire, reminiscent of the 1920s, added an air of refinement to his demeanor.

Katherine, her eyes brimming with maternal love and wisdom, spoke to Alastor. Her voice, soft yet firm, carried the weight of a lifetime. She said, “Alastor, I am afraid my time has come, and I will be going soon. Alastor, I want you to know that I am proud of you. You have grown into a fine young man, full of courage and kindness. I hope you will pursue your dreams with passion and joy. But you must also remember, Alastor, that there is more to life than fame and fortune. There is love, friendship, and family. Don’t ever lose sight of these things, Alastor. Don’t ever let the world make you bitter or cynical. Keep your heart open, and your mind curious. And most of all, keep your smile on. I love you, Alastor. You are my greatest treasure, my dearest son. And remember, I will always be with you, in your memories and your smile. Goodbye, Alastor. Goodbye, my little Al.”

As her words filled the room, Alastor’s smile, his signature grin that could light up even the darkest corners, began to falter. The playful gleam in his eyes dimmed, replaced by a flicker of uncertainty. It was a sight rarely seen, a crack in his usually unshakeable demeanor.
Noticing the change, Katherine reached out, her hand shaking slightly as she placed it gently on his cheek. Her touch, though frail, was warm and comforting. She whispered, “Don’t let your smile fade, my little Al. Your smile is your strength, your shield. It’s a beacon for those lost in the dark. So, smile, Alastor, smile like you mean it.”

As Katherine’s words faded, Alastor’s smile, his signature grin, began to strengthen once more. It was the last sight Katherine saw, a comforting image that brought her peace in her final moments. However, unbeknownst to her, beneath the warmth of his smile, a tempest was brewing.

Beneath the facade of his cheerful demeanor, a bitter and dark reality was taking shape. His smile, a mask that hid his inner most thoughts, was a harbinger of the path of pain and chaos that lay ahead. His future was shrouded in mystery, a path that would lead him down a road less traveled. His destiny would send shivers down the spine of those who dared to cross his path. His smile, the very symbol of his strength, was also a harbinger of the tumultuous journey that lay ahead. It was a smile that held an ominous hint of the bitter and dark future that awaited him, a future that would leave a path of pain and chaos in its wake. Little did she know, the last thing she saw, the strengthening of her son’s smile, was also the first glimpse of the chaos to come.

But that’s a tale for another time, our narrative remains entwined with Katherine’s journey for now.

4