Chapter 4: The Celestial Forest and the Cherub’s Mistake
442 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two weeks have elapsed since Katherine journeyed into Metatron’s library. Now, she stands ready to explore one of Heaven’s forest regions, a place she had only read about in the books that Metatron lent her. She embarks on a trail that seems artificial at first, but upon closer inspection, it reveals itself to be a natural part of the forest’s landscape.

 

The forest is a spectacle beyond Katherine’s wildest imagination. Trees are adorned in a vibrant spectrum of colours, from the lightest of greens to the deepest of purples. The fauna of the forest resemble the mythical creatures she read about as a child. Chickens the size of elephants dart through the trees with incredible agility, ravens the size of horses fly with steel-like feathers, each flap causing the trees around them to shake, and even golden crocodiles with scales so flawless that they reflect the light of the sun.

 

The forest also appears to defy the conventional concept of the circle of life, with elements that should not coexist existing together, hinting at an existence where predation and survival are not the governing principles.

 

As Katherine continues down the trail, observing the wonders, she encounters an unexpected figure - a cherub that has the appearance of a winged rabbit. She had read about Cherubs and about them residing in Cherub Town. This one, however, seemed to be standing guard on the trail. With a firm, albeit squeaky voice, the cherub commands, “Halt, my name is Bunzel, you are not allowed to take this route.” Behind him, Katherine sees the trail fork into two equally majestic but similar paths. Puzzled, Katherine asks, “Umm…. Which route, because there are two behind you?” Bunzel, momentarily confused, turns around, then after a second of head scratching, starts to mumble to himself. Then with all the certainty and confidence he can muster, he points towards one of the directions. Katherine, raising an eyebrow, asks, “Are you sure? You don’t sound too sure.”

 

Bunzel’s fur bristles, his small body puffing up in indignation. “It’s my job to watch the path, and you don’t think I know which path it is?” he exclaims, his voice echoing through the forest. His eyes flash with a mix of anger and hurt.

 

Katherine, taken aback by Bunzel’s sudden outburst, raises her hands in a placating gesture. “I’m sorry, Bunzel,” she says, her voice calm and soothing. “I didn’t mean to offend you. It’s just that I’ve only just arrived here, and I don’t want to break any rules. And to be honest, your performance is not very convincing.”

 

Bunzel’s eyes widen at Katherine’s words, and he seems to puff up even more. “Not convincing?” he repeats, his voice rising in pitch. “I’ll let you know that I am very good at my job!”

 

With a huff, Bunzel turns around and points at one of the paths with a determined paw. “Just go down this path already!” he commands, his voice filled with frustration.

 

Katherine, not wanting to upset the cherub any further, nods and thanks Bunzel before heading down the path he indicated. As she walks away, she can hear Bunzel mumbling to himself. “Maybe it’s a better idea to guard both paths,” he adds, “I should have joined CHERUB.”

 

As Katherine ventures deeper down the route, she notices her surroundings gradually darkening, and the air growing colder. The vibrant hues of the trees subtly shift to darker shades, and she starts to shiver. The forest’s ethereal beauty takes on a more sombre tone, reflecting the uncertainty racing through her mind. She starts thinking she really should have trusted her instincts regarding Bunzel’s directions.

 

Eventually, Katherine arrives at a large gate, standing imposingly amidst the forest’s darkened landscape. The gate, ornate and ancient, yet still seeming brand new, appears especially out of place. With no other options in sight, Katherine gathers her courage and pushes the gate open.

 

A blinding light immediately engulfs her, momentarily obscuring her vision. As her eyes adjust, she braces herself for what comes next.

 

As Katherine’s eyes adjust to the sudden change in light, she finds herself standing under a pitch-black sky that is anything but empty. The heavens above are filled with countless stars, each varying in brightness and colour. Some are as white as fresh snow, others as blue as the deepest ocean, and some even radiate a warm, golden hue. The stars are scattered across the sky like a handful of diamonds thrown onto a black velvet cloth.

 

Among these celestial bodies, Katherine can see nebulae, vast clouds of dust and gas in space. They are illuminated from within, casting shades of red, blue, green, and pink across the sky. These nebulae, with their swirling colours and ethereal glow, add an otherworldly charm to the already mesmerising scene.

 

The area is lit by moonlight, but its intensity rivals that of the sun, bathing the entire area in a soft, silver glow. The moonlight is so bright that it casts long, dancing shadows around Katherine, yet it is gentle enough not to hurt her eyes.

 

With the aid of this extraordinary moonlight, Katherine can see a garden that easily overshadows the beauty of the forest she had left when she went down the path. The garden is a symphony of colours, with flowers of every imaginable hue blooming under the starlit sky. There are roses as red as rubies, lilies as white as pearls, and violets that match the purple of the night sky. The garden is filled with the sweet scent of these blossoms, creating an atmosphere of tranquillity and peace.

 

The sight is so breathtaking that Katherine can’t help but stand in awe, her heart filled with a sense of wonder and admiration. This celestial garden, under the star-studded sky, is a sight to behold

 

Beyond the celestial garden, Katherine’s eyes are drawn to a maze that seems to glow with an ethereal light. The maze is made of rose bushes, each one luminescent, their soft glow illuminating the path ahead. The roses are of a variety she has never seen before, their petals shimmering in the moonlight, casting a mesmerising pattern of light and shadow on the ground.

 

The maze is intricate, its paths twisting and turning in a complex pattern that would be impossible to navigate without the luminescent roses guiding the way. Despite its complexity, there is a sense of tranquillity about the maze, as if it exists not to confuse, but to guide those who dare to enter.

 

Past the maze, Katherine can see a large mansion looming in the distance. The mansion is pitch black, it’s dark silhouette standing stark against the starlit sky. But what catches Katherine’s attention is the gold detailing on the mansion. The gold glimmers in the moonlight, adding an element of grandeur to the otherwise sombre structure.

 

The mansion is imposing, its architecture a blend of Gothic and Baroque styles, with tall spires reaching towards the sky and large windows that reflect the starlight. Despite its intimidating appearance, there is a certain allure to the mansion, a sense of mystery that beckons Katherine to explore further.

 

As Katherine tries to take a step further, she is lifted off her feet, she can’t help but gasp in surprise. She has been snatched, by what feels to be extremely large and bony hands. She turns her head to look at her captor and finds herself staring into the hollow eye sockets of a towering skeleton. Despite its terrifying appearance, the skeleton is impeccably dressed in a 3-roll-2 style suit, complete with a grey shirt and black tie. The contrast between the skeleton’s fearsome form and its sophisticated attire is almost comical, and Katherine would have laughed if she wasn’t so startled.

 

Without wasting any time, the skeleton starts sprinting, holding Katherine steady. They head towards a large wooden canopy that fits the rest of the theme - gold and pitch black. The canopy is slightly elevated off the ground, and on all sides except one are intricate wooden railings to stop people from falling. The one side that doesn’t have railings is the entrance to the inside of the canopy, which has stairs to account for the elevation.

 

As they approach the canopy, Katherine can’t help but feel a sense of dread. She doesn’t know what awaits her inside, but she knows she has no choice but to face it. The skeleton carries her up the stairs and into the canopy, its bony fingers never loosening their grip.

 

Inside the canopy, Katherine is met with a sight that takes her breath away. The interior is as grand as the exterior, with ornate decorations and luxurious furnishings. But what catches her attention is the figure sitting on a luxurious garden chair.

 

 It's an angel with an aura of otherworldly magnificence. His pitch-black hair cascaded in sleek waves, framing his chiselled features with an air of enigmatic allure. Eyes like molten gold glowed with an intensity that seemed to pierce through the darkness, radiating an unearthly brilliance that captivated all who beheld them.

 

Above his head floated a halo of ethereal light, casting a soft, iridescent glow that illuminated his countenance with divine splendour. His raven wings, expansive and majestic, unfurled behind him like the cloak of a celestial being, their feathers shimmering with an iridescent sheen as if touched by the light of distant stars.

 

In Front of him was a table that was equally as luxurious as the chair and in front of that table was another chair but it was facing him this time.

 

The skeleton, surprising Katherine with its ability to speak, says in a deep, resonant voice, “Master, I have brought the intruder.” The angel, who had been silently observing Katherine, finally speaks. His voice is cold, yet there’s a certain charm to it that sends shivers down Katherine’s spine. “Indeed, you have,” he says, his golden eyes never leaving Katherine.

 

He then introduces himself, “I am Azrael, the Angel of Death.” His tone is indifferent, but there’s a hint of curiosity in his eyes as he asks, “What brings you to my private garden?”

 

Katherine, gathering her courage, replies, “I was exploring the forest and ended up here because of the misdirection of a cherub named Bunzel. But now that I’m here, I must say, your garden is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.” She gives Azrael a genuine smile, her eyes reflecting the starlight.

 

Caught off guard by her compliment, Azrael finds himself returning her smile. “Well, visitors are a rarity here,” he says, “and it’s even rarer to find someone who appreciates my garden, even if they are technically intruders.” This interaction prompts a complete shift in Azrael’s usual demeanour. Known for his limited social interactions, confined mostly to his siblings, and even those being infrequent, Azrael finds himself delighting in the conversation. The opportunity to engage with someone brings an unexpected joy to his solitude.

 

Over the next few weeks, Katherine finds herself visiting the celestial garden more frequently. Azrael, to her surprise, welcomes her visits. They spend hours talking about everything, from the stars in the sky to the flowers in the garden. Katherine finds herself drawn to Azrael’s wisdom and kindness, while Azrael finds Katherine’s curiosity and zest for life refreshing. And about a year later a romance starts to bloom. Little did they know, this was just the beginning of an epic saga that would unfold in their name for years to come.

 

Spoiler

Timeskip coming soon, then the real mc will be born in a few chapters then it will finally become self insert and live up to its tags

[collapse]
3