Devoid Tale 1: Prologue | Chapter 2: When I Fly
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up to the bright sun shining in the sky. I stretch my wings, feeling something tickling me. It's bugs crawling on my feathers. I shake them off and sit down on the branch, feeling the warm breeze rustling the leaves around me.

 

My tummy feels empty. So are the others. We all screech for food, and Mom hears us. She flies over with food in her mouth, flapping her big wings as she comes to us. Her feathers ruffle in the wind as she lands gracefully on the branch.

 

The food smells yummy, like fish. I hurry over and gobble it up. It tastes so good, and I feel happy and full. Mom watches with a smile, her eyes twinkling in the sunlight. She's happy too.

 

After eating, Mom gathers us all together. She gives us a big hug with her wings, and I feel warm and cozy. Her feathers are soft against my skin. My eyes start to feel heavy, and I yawn as I curl up next to Mom on the strong and sturdy branch beneath us.

 

When I wake up again, the bugs are back. I brush them off again, but now I'm hungry again. The others are hungry too, so we all screech for food. Mom hears us and comes back with more food in her mouth, her wings flapping as she approaches. The flap of her wings pushes the air.

 

The food smells just as good as before. I eat it all up eagerly, enjoying every bite. The taste is even better this time, like a delicious treat after a long day of playing.

 

After eating, I'm not hungry anymore. Mom comes close again. She starts screeching, and we repeat after her. She then hugs us tightly with her wings. I feel safe and snug with her, like nothing could ever harm me. My eyelids start to feel heavy again, and I yawn as I snuggle closer to Mom.

 

I wake up again, and the bugs are back crawling on my feathers. I brush them off, but now I'm not hungry anymore. Mom makes a loud noise, and we all listen to her. She starts flapping her wings, and we follow her to a big, bright cliff. The cliff is tall and scary, but Mom nudges us forward and tells us it's time to fly away.

 

One by one, the others jump off the cliff. They flap their wings as hard as they can, but they can't stay in the air. They fall down to the forest below, and I watch them go with a sad feeling in my tummy.

 

When it's my turn, I take a deep breath and leap off the cliff. I flap my wings as hard as I can. And for a moment, I feel like I'm flying. The wind rushes past my feathers, and I can see the trees below me. But then, I start to fall, and the ground gets closer and closer.

 

My heart rate speeds up from the fear of dying and pushes my blood faster, keeping my wings from collapsing on me. I'm falling too fast, I need to soften the impact. Wait, what does that even mean? I feel a warp of a person who looks like me but different in an odd futuristic way as I close my eyes and brace for the impact.

0