Chapter 4 A Large Centaur and a Tiny Rat
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She heard and saw nothing.  “Am I dead?” she thought. “Is this the afterlife? Nothing but pure darkness?” As she moved, throbbing pain from her left shoulder down to her leg brought her back to reality. She opened her eyes, and at first everything was blurry but then things began to come in focus. She saw a fiery glow that was intensifying from the cargo area.  A fire was building and filling the bridge and the rest of the ship with dark smoke. She began to cough and knew they had precious moments before they all would suffocate, if they were not already dead.  “Wouldn’t that be the ironies of all ironies,” she laughed to herself. “Suffocating on a newly discovered planet, rich in breathable air, when they had just escaped the vastness of space.  All because a stupid fish tells them to come.”  Someone grabbed her shoulder which made her scream in pain.  That someone immediately released their grip and then she heard a high squeaky voice.

“Tharros, are you ok?  I was trying to help.”

The rat was trying to help me.  Another irony popped into her head as she coughed again.

“I am alright Gennai,” said Tharros in between her coughs.  “Bruised but able to move.”  She found when she stood that it was difficult to stay upright. Due to the ship now sitting at an angle and her taking a hit to the head was making her lose her balance. She looked around and saw the chair that she was sitting in had been bent and damaged by falling debris which was why she found herself lying on the floor up against the wall.

“Have you spoken with anyone else,” she said to the rat.

“You’re the first,” Gennai said in between coughs.  “Hard to see with all this smoke.”

“First thing we need is a way out,” said Tharros looking around to survey the damage for a possible escape route. She saw light beaming in from above through large gaps in the ship walls. “There above, rat. Those holes in the ship wall look big enough for you to push through. Are you able to climb up there?”

Gennai balanced himself on the sidewall of the ship which had become the floor because of the position of the vessel.  Using his strong legs, he jumped and grabbed hold of bent metal and joists that were attached to the roof which had become more like the wall of the ship.  He then found places where he could grab which allowed him to climb and pull himself up to the place from where the light was coming.  

“I can see outside,” shouted Gennai.

“Good job rat,” responded Tharros still coughing and sensing the fire was getting worse.  “Can you make it through the hole?”

“It will be a tight fit, but I think I can.”

“Good!  Climb out, and as quick as you can try to find a way we can get out.  See if the main doors by the cargo area are blocked.  Come back as quickly as you can.  I will try to help the others.”

Gennai nodded in approval and began to work his way out.  Tharros began scanning the rest of the bridge through the dark, thick smoke. She was still coughing heavily and having a hard time standing. She knew time was ticking quickly.

The first place she searched was where Dyamion was sitting.  His chair had also been smashed, and the control panel was in pieces as well.  She found him on the floor, leaning against the front window.  The impact and rolling of the ship had sent them both flying from their chairs along with all the debris.  A metal joist coming down from the ceiling was hanging over top of him.  She was able to get under the joist and made her way to him.  She then noticed that there was another heavy joist lying on his legs, but the top part of his body was uncovered. She grabbed his hand and arm and lightly shook it hoping for a response.  No response.  She then lightly shook his head and began calling his name.  His eyes slightly open and he mumbled something she did not understand. 

“Dyamion!” she shouted again.  “Can you hear me?  We have to get off of the ship!”

His eyes opened wider, and he began to move his head.  He tried to move his legs, but the heavy joist was impeding his movements. He also felt a sharp pain in his arm.  “I can’t move, and I think my arm is broken,” said Dyamion.  He began to cough and wince in pain. 

“There is a metal joist on top of your legs.  I am going to try to lift it.  You try to move your legs out.”

Dyamion nodded in agreement.  Tharros put her good shoulder under the joist and began to lift.  The joist slightly moved but not enough to free Dyamion’s legs.  She began to lift again and suddenly someone was by her helping to lift.  The two of them lifted the joist and Dyamion slid his legs from underneath the joist. His legs were bruised badly but luckily no broken bones.

Dunamis helped Tharros to lift Dyamion from the floor.  “Put him on my back. I can carry him,” said Dunamis. 

Tharros helped Dyamion on his back and then asked Dunamis, “Have you seen the rest of the crew?”

“Makarios, Gelio and Atromitos are still secured in their seats but are unconscious.”

“Have you seen Igetis and Filos?”

“I have not.”

They both began coughing and Tharros was feeling very faint.  She knew in a few minutes she would pass out.  From up above, Tharros heard a noise and then saw Gennai.

“Tharros, the main doors are not blocked from the outside.  I am going to try and pry the main doors open!”

“Quickly!” replied Tharros.  “We don’t have much time!”

Gennai nodded and ran off to the main doors.  Tharros then began to walk towards the back of the ship and while doing so, stumbled and Dunamis caught her.  She was feeling very faint and having a hard time seeing.  Everything was blurred.  She knew she had breathed in a lot of smoke.

“We have to get everyone out…and I am too weak,” said Tharros in a weak tone to Dunamis.  “Leave me here…find the rest of the crew…get them out through the main doors.”

“I can carry you as well,” said Dunamis.  Without waiting for a reply, he lifted her to his back and set off searching for the others.  They found Igetis still strapped to his chair.  He had a nasty gash on his head, and he was unconscious.  Dunamis lifted him in his arms and began to walk towards the main doors.  Smoke was still pouring into the room.  His strong lungs and powerful legs were the needed advantage to get them out of this disaster alive. 

Gennai had found a metal piece that was torn from the ship and was using it to try and pry the main doors. Using all his strength he pried the doors a few inches before the metal piece gave out and broke.  He saw smoke beginning to pour out thorough the gap he created. An explosion erupted from the engine room causing a large fiery ball to appear above the ship and then disintegrate. Gennai instinctively found the closest covering at the time of the explosion. His nose and whiskers peering out from underneath his hiding place. He thought for certain that the whole ship was about to explode. After a few moments, he gained enough courage to exit from his hiding place and look around for something else to pry open the doors.  He found another piece of a metal joist that may work.  He shoved the joist in the opening and began once again.  The doors moved a few more inches and more smoke poured out.

Inside the ship, Dunamis and the three he was carrying, were almost to the main doors.  He was only twenty feet away.  Smoke was everywhere and he could see the fire in the cargo area and had felt the explosions.  He was coughing and close to fainting, but he continued.  He arrived at the main doors and set Igetis on the ground.  He saw the metal joist through the doors and could hear Gennai prying with all his strength. He could see that the doors had been smashed so they would not move easily. 

“Gennai!” shouted Dunamis.  “I will help you force these doors open!”

Gennai hearing Dunamis gained strength and began to pry the doors once again with more power.  Dunamis placed his hands in the space between the two main doors and began to push. 

With Gennai and Dunamis, they pried the doors another three feet which was enough to begin squeezing everyone through.  Dunamis picked up Igetis and squeezed him through the small gap.  Now Troks were known for being able to lift ten times their weight, so even though he was only a foot and a half tall, Gennai showed his incredible strength by grabbing hold of Igetis and sliding him as best as he could to the ground.  He then pulled him a safe distance away from the ship and then laid him down.  He returned to the doors and found that Dunamis was already pushing Dyamion through the doors.  He grabbed Dyamion and slowly slid him to the ground.  Dyamion was much heavier than Igetis, so luckily Dyamion was able to help Gennai by pushing himself across the ground, away from the ship to where Igetis was lying.  Dyamion winced in pain and began to cough as Gennai helped him lie down.  The fresh air began to fill the wolf’s lungs giving him strength. 

Gennai took a few heavy breaths to gain his strength and returned to the doors.  He found Tharros already through the door and sliding away from the ship.  Gennai grabbed hold of Tharros and slid her to the ground.  She then stood and held up her hands to say she could walk from here.  The fresh air was giving her strength as well.  Gennai returned once again to the main doors.  Dunamis was nowhere to be found.  He yelled for him and after taking a long deep breath, stepped inside.

He could barely make out Dunamis carrying two other individuals.  He was struggling to stay upright but continued to move forward.  Gennai ran to him and helped him carry Atromitos and Gelio.  The two of them pushed them through the gap and Gennai slid them to the ground like the others.  Tharros was there to help, and they carried the two to the others.

Dunamis did not even wait for Gennai to return.  He immediately went and grabbed Makarios.  By the time Gennai returned to the main doors, Dunamis was pushing Makarios through.  As Gennai grabbed hold of Makarios, he stumbled, and they both tumbled to the ground.  Gennai attempted to check on Makarios, but Tharros told him to go find Filos, she would help Makarios.  Filos was the only one left. 

Gennai stepped through the doors and searched for Dunamis.  Smoke was still pouring out and the fire was getting worse.  He stepped forward towards the bridge calling for Dunamis.  There was no reply.  He continued forward carefully into the bridge. Debris of all types blocking his path. He then saw Dunamis through the smoke, lifting a heavy metal panel.  Gennai ran to him to find that Filos was stuck under the panel.  Filos was also unconscious like the others.  Gennai grabbed Filos and began to pull him to the doors.  Dunamis stumbled and fell, hitting the wall hard.  He was exhausted and began coughing.  Gennai stopped and started to head towards him.  Dunamis waved him off.

“I will be fine!” he shouted.  “Get Filos to safety.”

Gennai pulled Filos across the unsteady floor of the ship and out the main doors to fresh air.  He found Tharros and Dyamion continuing to help each of the crew.  It appeared that most were now awake and responding.  He ran back inside the ship looking for Dunamis.  He found him leaning against the wall coughing and nearly passed out.  Gennai knew that there is no way he could pull him through the small gap. 

“Dunamis!” yelled Gennai.  “Can you make it back to the doors!”

Dunamis continued to cough and could barely stand.  Gennai grabbed hold of his arm and began pulling him toward the doors.  “Only a few feet more and you are outside to fresh air.”

Dunamis regained his strength and began to move forward again.  They made it to the main doors and with his last ounce of strength, Dunamis pushed through the main doors and fell to the ground.   Gennai ran to him and began patting his face.  Tharros ran to him as well.

“Rat!”  yelled Tharros.  “Inside the ship on the bridge, there is a med-kit and supplies.  I need them.  You need to go back into the ship and find them.  They were located near the back of the bridge.”

Gennai nodded and ran back into the ship.  Smoke was now pouring from every part of the ship.  The heat from the fire could be felt by the entire crew. Suddenly there was another large explosion.  Tharros and Dyamion began pulling members of the crew farther away from the engulfed vessel.  Pieces of metal and other debris began raining down on the crew. 

After helping everyone to move farther away, Tharros scanned around for Gennai.

“Have you seen Gennai!?” yelled Tharros to Dyamion.  He shook his head.  She looked at the main doors and saw a fire blazing through the open doors.  She became scared and ran to the doors calling his name.  She was frantic and thought that she had sent him in there to only perish after all that he had done.  She was surprised that she had tears in her eyes over that rotten rat.  From behind her, she heard him.

“Right here, Tharros!” he shouted holding the med-kit and other supplies.  “Sorry, I had to come out the first way I made it out because fire is now blocking the main doors.”

She reestablished her composure and said with a frog in her throat, “Good job Rat!  You have proven yourself very useful.”  She then grabbed the med-kit and ran to Igetis who was still unconscious, but he was breathing.

She cleaned his nasty gash and then bandaged his head.  She then asked about the rest of the crew to Dyamion.

“Everyone is pretty beat up,” replied Dyamion, “but by some miracle they are alive.”

“A large part of that miracle is a tiny rat and a large centaur,” acknowledged Tharros as she walked over to him and began to put his arm into a sling.

“I can do that,” resisted Dyamion reaching for the sling.  “Go help the others.”

“Stop it!” she yelled.  “I need you healthy as fast as you can if we are going to make it through this adventure alive.  Besides the rat is showing to be very useful.  He is helping the others.”

“What is our next step?” asked Dyamion as he watched her put his broken arm into a sling.

“First, we find what supplies are left after the fire calms down and then hopefully we have the ‘talking fish’ lead us to where we need to go.”

“How is he doing?”

“He is resting but that nasty gash means he took a hard hit to the head.  We can only wait and see.”

After she was done helping him, she patted his shoulder and began helping the others.  The ship continued to burn but it appeared that the fire was calming down.  Dunamis was already up and walking around.  He had found a metal piece that had torn from the ship, and he had bent it into the form of a shovel.  He began tossing dirt from the ground on any fire he found hoping that the fire would not spread to surrounding trees and bushes. The rest of the crew sat and rested, enjoying the fresh air that was now filling their lungs. They all marveled at the beautiful scenery of the newly discovered planet, praising the miracle that they were alive.

0