Chapter 002: Partners
7 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The restaurant was much more vibrant and lively than the hospital room. People were chatting, and the aroma of fresh spices tingled the noses of many customers.

Antai stared down at his leather wallet. It was empty. His stomach growled. He raised his head up to look ahead.

Akaishi was rampaging over the cups and plates like a beast starved for months. "Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum..."

Antai smiled. "Listen, Akaishi."

"Uh?" He looked up from the food he was indulged in. "What happened, Mr. Antai?"

"Don't you think it's a little 𝘡𝘰𝘰 cold for your clothing? It's mid-november, and you are merely wearing a shirt and pajamas."

"Is it really winters?" That question was as airheaded as anything could be. "I still feel warm somehow."

"I once heard a rumor, that if you eat in winters you get cold."Β 

"Really?!"

Akaishi passed a bowl of ramen to Antai. "Here, let's share." He smiled warmly.

Antai sighed. "He's giving it to me like it's 𝘩π˜ͺ𝘴 money's food." As he began to eat, he said, "If my partner was here, I would have given you a better treat than this."

"Partner? You have a partner, Mr. Antai?"

Antai smirked. His eyes shone in a mischievous glow. "You see, I am a very busy man. I can't handle all my cases by myself, hence even a super detective like me needs a partner."

Akaishi raised an eyebrow in suspicion. "'Busy,' you say?" Laced in skepticism, he ranted. "On our way here, you did 𝘯𝘰𝘡𝘩π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 about my case, but eat cotton candy, nap in the taxi, and flirt with the waitress!"

Antai leaned back in his seat. Lifted his head up, and hid it behind his palm. "You are making me sound like a bad detective, Akaishi!"

He made sure his voice was loud enough to be audible throughout the room. "Those words were like poison to my heart! Now I have no purpose, but to die, die, die, die!"

"He is even mimicking the dramatic echoes."

"Please don't interrupt my dramatic echoes-"

The waitress came to the table. Smiling, she leaned forward. "Anything else, sir?"

Antai held her hand. The room grew light, and the world grew vibrant. "Your heart." His voice was honey warm, mesmerizing.

"I am afraid, that it is called cannibalism."

"Aw, damn!"

Akaishi sighed. "Where am I stuck? This morning when I woke up, I remembered nothing about myself. I just took whatever this man said as facts. I can't even question him. On our way here, he was with the police, and this 'ability' concept is also real. He's legit. But how does that connect to my amnesia? It's all still too overwhelming for me. Man..."

He is the boy with no past.

"Oye, Antai!"

A voice thundered the entire restaurant. All staff, and all customers turned their heads. Akaishi's head followed the voice. A tall man stood on the gate. He was breathless. He had neatly combed dark purple hair, and a pair of light blue eyes.Β 

He shouted again, "Oye, Antai! You damn dumbass, gave me the wrong address five times!"

Antai raised his hand up in joy. "Here, Torusu!"

πŸ„½πŸ„°πŸ„ΌπŸ„΄: πŸ…ƒπŸ„ΎπŸ…πŸ…„πŸ…‚πŸ…„ πŸ…ƒπŸ„ΎπŸ„ΈΒ 

πŸ„°πŸ„±πŸ„ΈπŸ„»πŸ„ΈπŸ…ƒπŸ…ˆ: πŸ…†πŸ„°πŸ… πŸ„°πŸ„½πŸ„³ πŸ„ΏπŸ„΄πŸ„°πŸ„²πŸ„΄

Torusu made his way across the room in fit of rage. Antai awkwardly smiled. "How's it going, Toru-"

"You little gremlin!"

Bam!

Torusu punched Antai on the head. "Why would you give me wrong addresses?! And not once, but five times?!"

"To mess with you, of course."

"You..."

Akaishi tried to speak something. "Um, well, I am here, too."

Torusu looked at him, then back at Antai. "Oh! You are the zero memory boy, huh? I would like to apologize for my behavior, and for ignoring you."

"No, no, no, I would love to be ignored by you-"

"For introduction, I am Toi Torusu, this manic's partner. Once again, I apologize."

"No, no, it's fine."

Antai looked up at his partner. "So, Torusu, any reason why you wanted to meet me in person?"

Torusu took a seat. He looked around, as if checking for any ears listening to them. The atmosphere grew thicker. "Mission."

"Mission?"

"An illegal deal of nullifiers is reported to happen two hours from now. We are the closest to the reported spot, so boss gave us the job."

"I see."

"But aren't you busy on this amnesia case? I should handle it myself-"

"No." Antai gazed at Akaishi. The latter gulped, thinking, "This isn't looking good for me."

"I will rather take Akaishi with us on the mission."

"You will what?!" The other two shared the same reaction. Antai assured, "Trust me. After all, I am one of the sharpest detectives ADO has to offer."

In the audible silence between the three, they shared glances. Akaishi felt a chill down his spine. "Oh, man! Where am I stuck? Illegal? Nullifiers?! What even is this all?!" Goosebumps.

Torusu narrowed his eyes, gazing at the smirking Antai. "What even are you thinking, Antai? I know you are a dumbass, but not an idiot. What's going on in your mind? I guess I'll have to just wait and find out."

1