Chapter 43: Destruction and Shadows
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Becky and Sybil emerged from the cover of the Mystical forest, their hoods down to reveal their true identities, the mages guarding the Mana extractor immediately took notice. The mages, who had been diligently carrying out their duties, approached the newcomers with curiosity and caution.

One of the mages, a stern-looking woman with flowing silver hair, stepped forward and addressed Becky and Sybil, "State your names and ranks."

Becky, with her short pink hair and determined gaze, spoke first. "I'm Becky and I hold the rank of Elite Mage."

Sybil, her short green hair and shy demeanor contrasting with Becky's assertiveness, followed suit. "I'm Sybil and I'm also an Elite Mage."

The mages exchanged glances, clearly surprised by the appearance of these two unfamiliar Elite Mages.

The stern woman's skepticism was evident as she responded to Becky and Sybil's claims. "It's impossible," she declared with an unwavering voice. "There are only four Elite Mages and they have been assigned to other Mana Extractors. Your presence here raises questions."

She then turned to one of the other mages and ordered, "Perform a quick background check on the names Becky and Sybil. We need to verify their identities."

As the mage began to conduct the background check, they were met with a sudden, silenced gunshot. The mage's body slumped to the ground a small hole in their forehead marking the lethal shot. Dr. Kintovar had acted swiftly and decisively, taking out the mage with ruthless precision.

She then moved with calculated efficiency, swiftly stealing the mage's cloak to conceal her identity further. The forest fell into an eerie silence as the remaining mages stared in shock at their fallen comrade.

The stern woman's impatience was felt by them as she questioned the delay with a sharp and demanding tone.

"What's taking you so long? It should have only taken you seconds!" she exclaimed with clear frustration.In a remarkable display of mimicry, Kintovar imitated the high-pitched voice of the woman she had silenced. Her vocal imitation was uncanny as she replied in the same tone, "Sorry, ma'am, we're just experiencing some technical difficulties with the background check."

The stern woman frowned, seemingly satisfied with the response, but her impatience still lingered as she continued to wait for confirmation. She turned her attention back to Becky and Sybil with a posture rigid with authority. She revealed her rank and name to them in a no-nonsense manner.

"I am Solene and I am a teacher at the Academy," she declared. "Now, I demand a proper explanation for your presence here. This is a restricted area and unauthorized personnel are not allowed."

Becky and Sybil exchanged nervous glances, but Solene's stern expression remained unyielding. The situation was growing increasingly tense and her patience wore thin.

"I said, explain yourselves," Solene repeated somewhat annoyed. "You're not authorized to be here and you clearly are not Elite mages. I'd even go as far as to say you're not even apprentice class mages. If this is some sort of prank then let me make one thing clear: This won't end well for you."

Becky and Sybil hesitated for a moment and was unsure of how to proceed. They had expected some resistance, but the stern woman's unwavering authority caught them off guard.

Kintovar, using the mimicked voice of the mage she had taken out, called over a group of mages to check something out. Her tone conveyed a sense of urgency.

"Hey, I need some help over here ! There's something strange going on with the magic system. For some reason everytime I try to check them I am getting these strange circles which causes it to act up and I can't access the data. I think like, the whole system might be down."

Solene's eyes widened in disbelief. She exchanged a worried glance with the other mages present and they began to discuss the situation among themselves.

"This is highly unusual," Solene muttered. "I've never heard of the magic system failing like this. Investigate this."

The group of mages headed in the direction Kintovar had indicated, leaving Becky and Sybil with Solene, who still regarded them with suspicion.

Kintovar acted swiftly and with deadly precision. Before the group of mages could react to her call for help, she opened fire with her silenced weapon, taking them out one by one. Their bodies fell to the ground and the area was filled with an eerie silence broken only by the soft rustling of leaves in the forest.

One of the mages managed to shout a loud "HEY!" before Kintovar eliminated them as well, ensuring there were no survivors to raise an alarm.

Solene was growing increasingly concerned by the commotion behind her. Sge turned to look back at the scene. Her eyes widened in shock and horror as she saw the lifeless bodies of the mages strewn across the forest floor with their cloaks stained with blood. She took a step back with her hand instinctively reaching for her own magical staff but the realization of the danger they were in struck her like a thunderbolt.

"What in the world...?" Solene's voice trembled as she struggled to comprehend the gruesome scene before her. "What happened back there?"Kintovar stepped forward and lowered her hood, revealing her distinctive appearance, Solene's transformed from shock to a burning rage. Her eyes blazed with anger and her features contorted in fury.

"Kintovar!" Solene spat out the name with venom and a tone laced with intense anger. It was clear that the sight of Kintovar had ignited a deep-seated resentment and fury within her.Kintovar's sly smile persisted on her face. She raised an eyebrow and addressed Solene , "Oh, you've heard the rumor, have you? About two mages betraying the Academy and having secret discussions with a certain scientist named 'Dr. Kintovar'?"

Becky couldn't help but smirk at Kintovar's words. She added with a touch of defiance, "Yeah that worked like a charm, didn't it?"

Solene's anger flared as the realization hit her .Her voice quivered with anger as she spoke.

"You traitors!" Solene seethed and narrowed her eyes in contempt. "You will pay for this betrayal!"

Becky's words were laced with bitterness and frustration as she snapped at Solene."Oh shut up!" Becky retorted with her rough voice. "You shitheads never gave technology a chance! You killed off scientists and anyone without strong magic. My magic level was pitiful at birth and I almost got killed off because of it. I've had enough of your ways!"

Solene's anger mingled with disbelief as she struggled to comprehend Becky's reasoning. She shook her head in disapproval and countered Becky's argument with a stern voice.

"That's ridiculous," Solene retorted. "Betraying the Magical Academy for such grievances is unforgivable. There were rules and traditions in place for a reason and you chose to abandon them. You have no idea what consequences your actions will bring."

"Screw the rules! The rules set in stone by the Magical Academy left us with no technology, no progress, nothing! We were held back by outdated traditions and the arrogance of those who wielded strong magic. We deserve a chance to live in a world that values everyone, not just the magically gifted."

Solene remained resolute as her loyalty to the Academy unshaken. She spoke with unwavering conviction. "The Academy's traditions exist to maintain order and protect our world from chaos. What you did was a betrayal and there will be consequences."

Sybil stepped forward. She addressed Solene with a heavy heart.

"Please, forgive us for what we are about to do.”

Becky followed suit using her own custom-made weapon which in hand was a formidable hammer with intricate enchantments. She added to Sybil's plea, "These weapons, they were created by the Doc Kintovar. And we’re going to use them to kick your ass, baby!”

Solene's anger burned hot as she glared as if glaring into their souls at Becky and Sybil

"You choose machines over magic?" Solene's voice dripped with disdain. "This is reckless and foolish! If you were Sword Magic users, I might understand, but to forsake your own magic for these contraptions is beyond comprehension! Put those flimsy weapons down, NOW!"Without warning, Becky slammed her massive hammer into the ground with incredible force, sending shockwaves of earth and rock rippling toward Solene. The ground trembled as the seismic waves surged outward, threatening to engulf Solene in their destructive path.

Solene, suprised by the sudden assault, had little time to react. She raised a barrier of magic in a desperate attempt to shield herself from the oncoming onslaught of earth and rock. The ground shook violently beneath her and the impact of the seismic waves sent her stumbling backward with her magical barrier straining to hold.

Becky's held a note of defiance as she commented, "Don't judge what you've never seen in action."

Sybil's movements were swift and graceful as she vanished from Solene's line of sight. In the blink of an eye, she reappeared behind the stern mage w holding her sword with precision.

With a swift, fluid motion, Sybil's sword danced imbued with the power of the wind. As the blade sliced through the space around her it created cutting gusts of wind that slashed towards Solene.

Solene reacted quickly, calling upon power. Her body seemed to split into two distinct halves—one radiating blinding light and the other shrouded in deep darkness. The light and darkness intertwined, forming a protective barrier that covered Solene's body like armor.

The cutting gusts of wind clashed against this Armor of cosmic light and darkness, creating a display of sparks and energy.

Sybil and Becky, realizing the formidable defense Solene had put up, stepped back cautiously. They exchanged a quick glance acknowledging the difficulty of the situation.

Solene, still shrouded in her armor, looked at them

"What's the matter?" Solene sneered. "Can't penetrate my Cosmic Armor? It seems you underestimated the power of a mage trained at the Academy."

Solene, still encased within her cosmic barrier, began to chant with a commanding voice. The words she chanted echoed through the mystical forest.

"Chronos Astra Orbis!"

A clock-like energy radiated from Solene, forming a circular pattern of symbols in the air.

From this celestial array, four swirling cosmic orbs materialized, each resembling a miniature planet with its own unique color and energy. They revolved around Solene, their movements graceful and mesmerizing, like celestial bodies in the vast expanse of the cosmos.

Becky's showed her surprise and curiosity as she muttered, "Wait, what's this? Cosmos magic? I've heard of elemental and other affinities, but this is new…"Solene's words carried superiority and disdain as she glares at Becky and Sybil, "This is what happens when you choose to defy the academy without knowing anything. Your ignorance and reliance on technology are clear signs of your lack of knowledge."

Kintovar decided to shed some light on the topic of cosmic energy. Kintovar began to speak with authority.

"Cosmic energy is the mystical force that binds the very fabric of the universe. It is a power that transcends conventional magical affinities and taps into the celestial forces that govern our world and beyond."

She continued with her tone filled with a hint of condescension, "It's a rare and elusive affinity because it requires a profound understanding of the cosmos and the ability to harness the energies that flow through it. Mastery of cosmic energy allows one to manipulate the fundamental forces of the universe, creating unique and powerful spells."

Kintovar's gaze bore into Solene as she concluded, "But it's clear to me that you are not a master of this affinity, or you would have succeeded in removing the mage’s from this island long ago."

Kintovar's words seemed to strike a nerve with Solene, eliciting a growl of frustration from the stern woman.

Turning her attention back to Becky and Sybil, Kintovar spoke in a hushed yet confident tone, "You see, Becky and Sybil, despite her experience as a teacher, Solene is no master of cosmic energy. With the right strategy and teamwork, we can defeat her. Becky cracked a confident grin and said, "Well, looks like we've got a fighting chance after all!"

Sybil nodded in agreement.

"Let's show her that technology and power can stand against the old ways."

As Becky and Sybil prepared to face Solene with newfound determination a sudden barrage of magic beams came from behind them, catching them off guard. Kintovar, who was still standing nearby, shouted in surprise, "What?"

The beams of magic struck Kintovar with incredible force and she collapsed to the ground, unconscious. It was a sudden and unexpected attack that left Becky and Sybil in shock.

“K-Kintovar?!”

 

0