chapter 17: Soldier recruitment
243 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With conviction, Liam turned his attention to Adhart, his gaze steady and unwavering.

"Adhart" 

Liam began, his voice carrying the weight of authority. 

"The reason for the call of your presence today is to bestow an identity for you or even a responsibility."

"My Lord?"

Adhart asked back.

"I have decided to appoint you as the Commander of our army."

"The leader of the upcoming soldiers that will be recruited, you are to train them, discipline them, and order them in my stead to protect the territory."

Adhart's eyes widened in surprise, a mixture of pride and determination flickering in his gaze.

"Thank you, my lord."

 Adhart hurriedly responded, his voice filled with gratitude and resolve. 

"I will do everything possible to fulfill this duty honorably."

Liam nodded approvingly, a sense of confidence in Adhart's abilities.

He naturally inquired about Adhart's background from the maids before considering this. With Rudolf's narration on how Adhart had saved them from multiple orc attacks in their past world, even when losing some of his companions, Liam's view on this mercenary captain changed.

'He's a good candidate. Brave, unyielding, kind, and also wise.'

'There are no other suitable candidates other than him.'

Liam confirmed within.

 Then, he explained the function of the barracks and stables, ensuring that Adhart understood their significance.

"As Commander, it will be your responsibility to oversee the recruitment and training of our soldiers."

"To guide them, and to assign them the various tasks of protection within and outside the territory."

Liam explained, his tone serious. 

"The barracks and stables will serve as the foundation of our army, allowing us to recruit soldiers to defend our territory."

Adhart nodded in understanding, absorbing Liam's words as he prepared for his new role.

However, Liam paused, a thoughtful expression crossing his features.

"I must confess."

 Liam admitted, his tone reflective. 

"When I first built the barracks, I hesitated to recruit soldiers immediately. I didn't fully understand how the barracks operated at that time."

Adhart's brow furrowed in confusion, surprised by Liam's admission.

"Why didn't you recruit soldiers right away, my lord?" 

Adhart inquired, his curiosity piqued.

Liam sighed, his expression rueful as he recalled his earlier hesitation.

"At that time, I lacked the knowledge and experience to utilize the barracks effectively." 

Liam explained, his voice tinged with regret. 

"It was only after observing the discoveries of other Lords within the global chat that I better understood how the barracks operated."

Liam continued, his tone resolute. 

"Adhart, you will receive the soldiers once they are recruited from the barrack and the stable. Consult with Rudolf on the area settlement for the soldiers and the area of tasks that might need extra help."

"Yes, my Lord. I will follow your command."

"Good. Now, you may leave and await the soldiers to be recruited."

-

Seeing the back of Adhart exiting the entrance, Liam opened the building panel. He shifted his gaze over the arrays of the buildings built and smiled. 

"With the blacksmith being finally built this morning, I can fully move on to the next step."

"First off, the first soldier recruitment from the barrack and the stable."

Saying this, Liam then selects the barrack first as he slides his fingers across the panel fluidly. The next moment, the panel changed accordingly with a new in-depth interaction system solely for recruitment.

[Barrack][Level 1]

[Recruitment]

Description: Will allow the lord to train soldiers up to the level of the castle. This building has the same function as the summoning portal but slightly different. The soldiers recruited here are loyal, and the lord can design their basic armor accordingly. Once every four levels of the castle, the lord can add higher rarity troops for recruitment and customize the armor accordingly. 

Seeing this, Liam then tapped on the recruitment column, and what came next was a single empty column with the word "design" in it.

[Recruitable]

  1. [Design]

Due to Lord Askme's presence within the global chat, many features and buildings were explained thoroughly for all of the other Lords to savor. 

From then on, his name had become akin to a Google Lord known for his generosity among the Lord of the people. 

The extent of his influence even caused a separate area with pinned messages regarding all sorts of information to appear. This undoubtedly helps many Lords facing questions and dilemmas of a particular issue.

Knowing the full extent of this recruitment feature from the global chat, Liam then decisively tapped on the design column. 

In the next moment, an array of pages filled with standard equipment came into his view, and next to it was a standing human mental model. 

With a few careful glances at the equipment, Liam dragged them one by one toward the model figure on the side. 

After a full hour of selection, a standardized level 1 soldier equipped with basic armor and weaponry stood before him in the digital representation.

The armor, called "Militia's Iron Guard," was a standard known for its durability and practical design.

 The standard of this set of equipment is among the best within the common rarity.

The chest piece was a sturdy breastplate made of iron plates riveted together, providing solid protection for the torso. Over it, a thick leather tunic was worn, offering additional padding and flexibility.

The soldier's arms were clad in iron vambraces, covering the forearms and wrists, while the legs were protected by iron greaves, extending from the knees down to the ankles.

 A simple iron helmet completed the ensemble, featuring a nasal guard to protect the face and cheek guards for added defense.

Though not extravagant, the Militia's Iron Guard offered reliable protection for soldiers on the battlefield, allowing them to confidently withstand the rigors of combat.

The name of this soldier type is known as the Iron Guard militia.

Satisfied with his choices, Liam nodded before focusing on the stable panel.

[Stable][Level 1]

[Recruitment]

Description: Similar to the barrack, the stable allows the lord to recruit cavalry units up to the level of the castle. These units are crucial for swift maneuvers and reconnaissance. Like the barrack, upgrading the stable will unlock higher rarity cavalry units and customization options for their equipment.

Liam carefully reviewed the information on the stable panel before proceeding to the recruitment section. 

Like with the barrack, he was presented with the option to design the equipment for the cavalry units.

As Liam meticulously navigated the array of equipment options, his mind buzzed with careful considerations.

His fingers hovered over the armor options, each representing a delicate balance between defense and agility.

 "We need armor that can withstand a blow but doesn't hinder mobility."

Liam remarked, his voice reflecting his thoughtful deliberation. 

"These segmented plates might just strike that balance."

His gaze shifted to the spurs and stirrups, vital tools for maintaining control on the battlefield. 

"Control is key."

He noted, and his tone was firm. 

"Without it, our cavalry loses its effectiveness. These spurs and stirrups will ensure our riders remain in command of their mounts, even in the heat of battle."

As he examined the lances, Liam's expression softened with admiration. 

"A lance isn't just a weapon. It's a statement."

 He remarked a hint of pride in his voice. 

"With these banners flying high, our cavalry will strike fear into the hearts of our enemies."

Turning his attention to the saddlebags in the equipment pages, Liam nodded in approval. 

"Every detail counts."

 He murmured, running his fingers over the sturdy leather on the panel.

"These saddlebags will give our riders the essentials they need to endure even the longest campaigns."

With his selections for the stable and barracks finalized, Liam resummoned the building panel again.

As he surveyed the panels for the stable and barracks again, Liam noticed a subtle change. 

The columns had shifted slightly, and when he opened them, he was greeted with the sight of the first recruitable troops design he had painstakingly crafted.

"Granted that the recruits for now are based on the castle's level, I will have to spend some resources on upgrading it."

"The recruited soldiers will be the true backbone of the territory, akin to that of a shield. And the slime knights are akin to a sword to penetrate the enemy defense line."

A sense of pride swelled within him as he gazed upon the detailed renderings of his soldiers and cavalry. 

Without hesitation, Liam tapped on the recruit button, eager to see his designs brought to life. 

The recruitment capacity of both buildings, being at level 1, was limited to 40 soldiers each. 

The required resources for recruitment were displayed clearly: 5 units of wood, five units of stone, and ten units of food.

With a sense of anticipation, Liam confirmed the recruitment orders.

[Ding, automatically deducting 400 stones, 400 wood, and 800 unit of food]

Hearing the prompt, Liam then reshuffled the panel to the map feature and focused his gaze towards the stable and the barrack. What came next into his view was a slight change occurring within these two buildings.

"There's no flashy portal this time, but instead... it's more of an illusion of a group of soldiers training in the barrack."

Above the building, a timer appeared alongside the changes below. 

"30 Minutes for 40 soldier recruits? That's handy."

Liam smiled at this discovery. 

Next, Liam focused on the stable, and the same thing happened. In his eyes, a group of soldiers is training within the stable. Constantly brandishing their lance towards the puppet in front of them tirelessly, it seems to be repeated repeatedly.

"50 minutes for the stable, the resources used are the same. However, the duration that it took is different. "

"Well, it isn't that big of a deal."

Liam waved his hand indifferently and resummoned the building panel again, back to the main menu listing all the buildings within his territories.

[Buildings]

1.[Castle][Level 1]

Description: Upgrading this building at the heart of the territory will allow the Lord to unlock more features and buildings to be built.

Upgrade requirement: 3000 Woods, 3000 Stones, Level 1 Wall, Level 1 Barrack, Level 1 Stable.

2.[Arrow Tower][Level 1]

Description: A standard arrow tower, useful against mortal soldiers and for spotting.

Upgrade requirements: 100 woods, 100 stones, level 1 castle, level 1 blacksmith.

3.[Wall][Level 1]

Description: The shield of the castle, once the wall is broken, then the castle will be left vulnerable.

[1000/1000][HP]

Upgrade requirement: Level 1 castle, 5000 Woods, 5000 stones.

4.[Barrack][Level 1]

Description: Will allow the lord to train soldiers up to the level of the castle. This building possesses the same function as the summoning portal but with minor differences. The soldiers recruited here are loyal, and the lord can design their basic armor accordingly. Once every four levels are upgraded, the lord can add higher rarity troops for recruitment and customize the armor accordingly.

Upgrade requirement: Level 2 castle, Level 2 blacksmith, 700 woods, 800 stones.

5.[Summoning Portal][Level 1]

Description: The second heart of a territory to increase population; the higher the level, the more the lord can summon.

Upgrade requirement: Level 2 castle, 1000 woods, 1000 stones.

6.[Stable][Level 1]

Description: Will allow the lord to train soldiers up to the level of the castle. This building possesses the same function as the summoning portal but with minor differences. The soldiers recruited here are loyal, and the lord can design their basic armor accordingly. Once every four levels are upgraded, the lord can recruit higher-rarity troops.

Upgrade requirement: Level 2 castle, level 2 blacksmith, 700 Woods, 900 stones,

7.[Alliance Hall][Level 1]

Description: Will allow allied troops to reinforce the lord's castle when under rally from the enemy alliance. 

[Reinforcement capacity][0/10000]

Upgrade requirement: Castle level 2, 400 woods, 400 stones.

8.[Blacksmith][Level 1]

Description: Allows the lord to build equipment to be equipped for the lords and commanders.

Upgrade requirements: Castle level 2, 500 woods, 500 stones.

[Basic houses][Permanent][Can be adjusted]

Upgrade requirement: adjustable[The people can interfere manually. The lord doesn't have to upgrade them]

[Building slot] 

  1. [Available]
  2. [Available]
15