Chapter 4: Call for help
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4

this is a fictional story by realTensai

 

“You have two months left to live.“

Alvis woke up to this all too familiar scenario.

He clutched his throat, attempting to halt the bleeding caused by the vampire’s long nails. Alvis breathed as if he had just completed two marathons. However, as he touched his throat, he felt no blood—only an unusual amount of sweat trickling down his neck.

I’ve respawned.

“My son, calm down. I know it is hard.”

Alvis’ dad comforted him, placing a hand on his shoulder. Both his parents likely assumed Alvis reacted this way because he discovered he had little time left to live.

However, this was not the case. I already died twice!

Alvis bit his tongue, trying his best to calm down. First, he had to control his breathing. Only with stable breathing could he utilize his brain to the fullest. It took him a few deep breaths in and out to get his heart beating in a calm tact.

Let’s start with this annoying blinking of the blue box.

The moment he had respawned the blue box with all his stats on it started blinking. Alvis didn’t know what was wrong with it, so he didn’t want to ignore it any longer. As soon as he focused his consciousness on it, it appeared in front of him.

NOTIFICATION

[YOU DIED!]

Experience is awarded for dying!

New Skill unlocked!

Level Up!

LEVEL 1: A mysterious attacker

Mission: Survive

General:

Name: Alvis Silva

Race: Human

Class: None

Level: 1–> 2

Skills: NEW! Basic mana manipulation Lvl.1

Stats:

Mana: 61-> 66

Strength: 19–> 21

Intelligence: 50-> 52

Endurance: 16–> 21

Reflex: 20–> 22

Health: 20/20–> 25/25

W-What?

Alvis analyzed the new information he got, though the input made him stumble back on the bed. But he had to take it all in and understand the meaning of it.

So, I died again and respawned in the same scene as last time. However, now a few things have changed. First, I leveled up. Before I was level 1 but now I am level 2. What kind of difference that will make, I don’t know, but leveling up is always beneficial.

Second, I got a new skill. Or better to say, my first skill. It is called basic mana manipulation. Guessing by its name, I probably can manipulate mana now. So even though I’m a human, I can cast spells. Well, before I died, I created fire, so unlocking this skill probably had to do with that. But can I create more than fire? The skill is called basic mana manipulation and not basic fire creation, so I think I could do more than just create fire. Though I will have to try it out and see.

Third, all my stats went up. They either went up by five stat points or by two. My mana stat, my endurance stat, and my health bar went up by five. My intelligence, reflex, and strength by two. Judging by this contribution, I can conclude that it has to do with what I did before I died. Before I died, I used my mana for the first time. I also had to endure slowly bleeding out, so it was no wonder that those two stats went up by five. The other stats just went up by two, though I had no problem with that.

Alvis paused a second and opened and clenched his fist a few times. He flexed his humble biceps, and it even responded. As he gazed at his own body, he didn’t notice a change, yet he still felt it.

I feel kinda stronger.

Alvis closed his eyes, focusing on the raging flame within him. Its immense energy boiled like a volcano about to erupt. Alvis’ eyes shot open, his breath out of control, and sweat dripping down his forehead. Just concentrating on his mana took a huge toll on his brain, as if he had to dip it into an ocean of fierce energy wrestling with an overwhelming force. His muscles ached, and his body temperature was influenced by the heat within him.

He gulped. My mana got even stronger. Those increased stats weren’t just for show. Even if he couldn’t test his reflexes and intelligence now, he knew his system stated the truth.

Alvis stared at his hands, the change in his body having his heart racing. A shiver overcame him, a future in which he could control these powers appearing in his mind. Yet death was already looming around the corner. He first had to deal with the assassin. Everything else was secondary. With this confirmed, he focused back on his analysis.

Because all of my stats went up and I also unlocked a new skill, it is safe to say that I got a lot stronger since my last loop. But I know I am still not strong enough to face the assassin in mortal combat. If I fight him again, he would defeat me. Maybe I can put on a better fight. Still, the result will be the same. However, even if he kills me again, I will come back stronger. I think it’s safe to conclude that every time I die; I respawn stronger. Maybe there is a limit to how often I can respawn, but if not, I will defeat him eventually!

Alvis exhaled, having finished his analysis. With this now completed, Alvis shifted his attention to creating a new plan. He had just died because of the assassin, and even though he knew he would come back stronger, Alvis didn’t intend to die this time.

I’ll defeat him in this loop!

The doctor kept talking, though his words didn’t even reach Alvis. Because of his last loop, Alvis found out that running away or hiding from the assassin wouldn’t work. He didn’t know how, but the assassin managed to find him despite him being at Dane’s place.

Maybe he has some sort of tracking ability.

So running away wasn’t an option.

This automatically meant he had to confront the assassin. If running away didn’t work, he had to fight. However, Alvis wouldn’t win a fight against the vampire, at least not with his current abilities. So if Alvis couldn’t fight by himself, he had to get help.

Alvis considered Dane for a second, but guilt immediately gnawed at his heart, making him drop the idea. His face darkened as memories of Dane being killed by the assassins flashed through his mind.

I guess I have no other choice.

He sighed, his last resort being his only way now.

He would call the police.

Alvis clicked his tongue, his brain warning him about wasting his time, yet he saw no other way out. He knew the likelihood of success wasn’t that high, but he would try it, anyway. If it would work, it would be perfect, but if not, he would just have to come up with another thing.

Alvis used the rest of the time in the hospital to fine-tune his plan.

——

Alvis and his parents left the hospital. Just like before, his mom was still crying, so Alvis offered his hand to comfort her.

They walked a bit, but Alvis wasted no time in initiating his plan."

“Mom, Dad, can you buy me this new game that just came out yesterday?“

“The game everybody is talking about?” his mom asked, stopping. “Of course we can. Let’s go buy it tomorrow.“

Tomorrow is no good.

“No, could you please buy it now? You know I don’t have much time left. Who knows if I’ll make it to tomorrow?“

“Alvis! D-Don‘t say that!“

His mother’s eyes widened in horror, and Alvis could see tears forming in her eyes.

Alvis averted his gaze and looked to the ground. Playing the ‘I am going to die soon‘ card had his heart rebelling, yet he had no choice but to do it. It was the only option for him to get his parents to do it now. If he wanted to save them, they had to be far away. He bit his lip, the metallic taste of blood in his mouth helping him to suppress his guilt. Yet no matter how hard he forced his nails into his palm, his hand wouldn’t stop shaking.

“It is fine, son. We will buy it now. Are you coming with us?“

“No. I am not feeling well.“

A bold lie. However, it convinced them. They exchanged a few words and Alvis’ parents left to get the game. He could finally exhale.

Perfect!

Now Alvis could fully focus on the task at hand. He sent his parents away to get the new game, so he knew they would be away for a long time. It wouldn’t be easy for them to find this game considering that it was famous and only released yesterday. This would give Alvis the time he needed to deal with the assassin.

Now it is serious.

Alvis was sweating. He took deep breaths in and out so he wouldn’t lose his calm, but his shaking knees exposed his nervousness. Having an assassin who had already killed him twice waiting for him at his home was not something that would leave him cold.

But Alvis would just follow his plan.

One last time, Alvis took a deep breath in and out, fortifying his resolve.

I won’t die this time! I won’t let anyone die again!

Prepared, he took out his phone, punched in the correct digits, and made the call.

“Hello?“

“Yeah, hello, this is an emergency. I need your help!“

 
0