[2] – Breakfast Not In Bed
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kisses from the wind gently nipped at your face. With the wind came an ever-so-sweet scent, like the scent of flowers mixed with sugar cubes.

Your eyes fluttered open. White ceiling... chandelier. Where were you?

Wait...

This was Mayor Twyx's guest room.

Your eyes went wide. So it wasn't all a dream? A feeling of panic washed over you. Now that your headache was gone, the anxiety in your chest was more noticeable. In fact, it was the only thing you were feeling besides the hunger from your stomach.

Then, you sat up. The window on your left was open, rays of sunlight pouring in completed with the gentle chirping of birds. You would be lying if you didn't feel enchanted by the sight of the land beyond it, trees and grass dancing in the breeze, a cobblestone road leading to little houses in the distance. Once again, the grass was an odd saturated color of green. In fact, most things here were quite colorful, similar to how a child would view the world around them. There was a feeling of tranquility in the air as you sat there, admiring the moment.

That is until your vision settled on a figure next to the window.

While her back was turned to you, you didn't miss the distinctly colored hair she had. Two light blue raspberry pigtails tied with yellow ribbons. The ribbons must've been tightly fastened as the wind had no effect on her hair. She was wearing a black and white maid outfit with a big blue bow tied around her waist. Sky blue flat dress shoes adorned her feet while light yellow and white striped stockings covered half of her legs.

The sunlight gave her an unmistakable radiance. Her hair twinkled in the light as if they're millions of little sapphires. Was she a Candi person as well? If so, what kind was she made out of? Maybe a hard candy like a lollipop?

Then, she turned around. Kind turquoise eyes, fair skin, and lips with a glossy tint over them.

Her lips formed the shape of an 'o', and she gasped.

"Good morning, my lady!" she dashes over to your side, "how are you feeling?"

"Oh... um, good morning to you too, beautiful stranger? I'm doing alright," you stared, wide-eyed. She reminded you of a fluffy bunny with floppy blue ears. "Have we met before by any chance?"

The woman gives you a bright smile, curtsying in your presence.

"This is my first meeting with you, my lady. My name is Joy. Mayor Twyx has assigned me to be your personal maid during your stay in Candie Land! We don't usually get many new guests year-round, so I'm very happy that you decided to visit here!" She gently grasped your hands, pulling you out of bed. You gave her an exasperated smile.

"I guess you could call it visiting," you mumbled.

The moment your feet touched the floor, you looked down in surprise. Soft... the carpet is so unbelievably soft. It feels like you're standing on top of marshmallows. Wait. Could it be marshmallows? You momentarily wondered if the carpet was edible. It must be because of that dream you had last night, the one where you were eating Mayor Twyx. Yeah, the more you thought about it, the more you realized how disturbing it was. You shook your head, determined to forget about it. Joy tilted her head in slight confusion.

"Are you alright, my lady?"

You snapped out of it, "Y-yeah! Totally."

"That's good! Wait here for a moment, please."

She released your hands, walking over to the closet next to the window. A few seconds later, she was carrying what seemed to be a beige dress with a brown corset. There were tiny embroidered flowers all over the corset, and a small red ribbon in the middle. A pair of ruby flat dress shoes lay on top.

"Please change into these," Joy gently handed the pile over to you, and you looked down in surprise. "Come out once you're finished, and I'll lead you to the dining hall."

She curtsied once again before walking to the exit, then turned around once more.

"Oh! And if you require any assistance, just knock three times. I'm always happy to help, my lady."

With that, Joy disappeared from your sight.

You placed down the pile of clothes, taking a peek at your current ones. Maybe it was because this world had been nothing but a fever dream so far, but you didn't notice that you were wearing a pair of frilly pink pajamas this entire time. Your face garnered heat at a shockingly fast pace. This was your first impression?

Immediately throwing the pajamas off of you in embarrassment, you quickly changed into the clothes Joy laid out for you. You'd be lying if you said you didn't spend at least five minutes trying to tighten the corset. Then, you slipped on the red shoes onto your feet. You blinked, staring down at them while recognition flickered in your head.

The red shoes reminded you of something. What was it again? Oh, right! Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Didn't she also have a pair of red shoes?

Now that you thought about it, you were finding parallels between her situation and yours. She was transported to another world where she had to befriend a scarecrow, a lion, and a tin man. They shared one glaring similarity with the Candi people: none of them were human.

Wait, how come you could remember random things such as Dorothy's red shoes and her three companions, but not an ounce of your life, friends, or family back on Earth? The more you thought about it, the more your headache started to return. And then, a brilliant, outstanding, marvelous solution came to you: you would stop thinking about it entirely.

Your current predicament wasn't that bad after all. The Candi people have been awfully nice to you so far, going out of their way to give you a place to rest and your very own maid. Of course, there was one exception—Mint, Mince, whatever his name was. You were going to hold a grudge against him for years.

As soon as your hand was on the doorknob, you heard Joy speaking from the other side. Her voice was slightly muffled, but you could make out some of what she was saying.

"-ait a moment! S-sir Min!"

Ah, so that's what his name was.

Before you could backtrack, the door flung open from the other side. You spotted two faces; a wide blue-eyed maid with her hand out to stop someone, and that someone being a knight with silver hair and ruby eyes. He stared down at you with an expression that doesn't seem too happy.

"Shit." You were about to piss your pants. Speak of the devil and he'll come running to your door.

Instinctively, you prepared for the worst case scenario. You raised your hands up and balled them into fists, confident that you'd lose but determined to not go down without a fight. It didn't matter that you were practically ravenous; you would eat him if you had to. He was also a Candi person, right?

For a second, he appeared as if he wanted to say something nasty to your face. Then, he shut his mouth and turned around.

"Follow me. The mayor is waiting for you in the dining hall."

You stared after him in shock before slowly lowering down your fists. Next to you, Joy panicked.

"I-I'm so sorry, Lady y/n! Sir Min asked me if you had finished getting ready, and I said that you were in the middle of doing so. Then when he heard you walking towards the door, he opened it before I could stop him." She stared at you worriedly, "Are you alright?"

"Y-yeah, totally..." you brought your hand up to your chest, feeling your heartbeat still racing like crazy. Your eyes darted back up, only to find that Min was nowhere to be seen. What an asshole. "We should go before he comes back and yells at me for being too slow." It wasn't your fault he had a stick up his ass.

Joy gave you a tired smile before nodding, "Of course. Please follow me, my lady."

'The dining room has to be at least half the size of a stadium', you thought to yourself as Joy opened the doors for you.

Min was standing in the right corner facing across from you. Before you could stop yourself, you shot him a glare. His eyes widened—immediately returning a displeased look. You resisted the urge to roll your eyes.

Then, you spotted the mayor sitting at the very end of the long dining table. You shyly waved to him and his face lit up at the sight of you.

"Miss y/n!" he smiled, "I hope you were able to get some sleep even after our conversation last night." Joy gestured for you to take the seat facing across from Mayor Twyx. Once you've sat down, she went to stand next to Min.

You scratched your head sheepishly, "Oh, yeah,I was knocked out like a log. Thanks again for letting me stay here."

His eyes curved up like crescent moons, "Of course, it's my pleasure." Twyx smiled, "now that you're here, let us start breakfast. I'm sure you're feeling famished."

You can't help but ponder ideas for what the word 'breakfast' here could entail. Still on the theory train that the word 'candie' in this world meant the same thing as it did on Earth, you could be having a feast that would bring tears to a diabetic's eyes.

With a nod from the mayor, several servants carrying metal platters of food entered into the dining hall. They set one large platter and three smaller ones in front of both you and Mayor Twyx. Then, the servants took off the metal covers for each one.

You looked down. A stack of pancakes with whipped cream and your favorite fruit stare back up at you. The smaller platters consist of bacon, eggs, and tiny bowls of fruit medleys.

"Wow," you blinked in surprise, "this wasn't really what I was expecting."

"Is the food not to your liking?" Twyx frowned, "I could ask the chef to remake it for you. What do you prefer to eat?"

"Oh! N-no, that's not what I meant," you smiled sheepishly, "it's just that I was... expecting a very sugary breakfast. Like tons of sugar." Avoiding eye contact, you looked down and fiddled with your thumbs. "Last night you did tell me how this place was called Candie Land, and I don't know if candi, candy, whatever, has the same definition here as it does back on Earth, but I was just expecting a different breakfast. Not that I'm complaining though! This looks delicious." There was a brief silence in the dining hall. Out of the corner of your eyes, you swore you saw Min staring at you with a brow raised. Next to him was Joy, who clamped her hands over her mouth to stop any giggles from getting through, and that's when you wondered if you could rewind time and start this entire interaction over again.

Meanwhile, Mayor Twyx stared at you with pure amusement in his eyes.

"Not at all, Miss y/n. I think your assumption was very reasonable." He grinned, "We do normally consume lots of glucose on a daily basis as it's our main life source, but centuries ago, the very first humans brought special seeds from Earth. They planted those seeds here and taught us how to care for them. Now we also like to enjoy fruits and vegetables from your world." He folded his hands together, resting his arms on the table. "I hope today's breakfast makes you feel slightly more at home."

A warmth spread in your chest from his words. You were still stuck on the thought of your wonky memory and this incredibly surreal world you spawned in, but the man in front of you who may-or-may-not-be made out of chocolate (you didn't know if it was rude to ask) definitely helped soothe your heart.

You picked up your fork and dug into the pancakes. What you didn't expect were for the pancakes to intensely jiggle around after your fork lightly grazed them. Confused yet worried they'd grow legs and run away with how jiggly they were, you plopped a bite into your mouth before that could happen.

"Mmph!" your eyes widened. Even with most of your memories gone, you could tell that this had to be the best pancake you had ever eaten. "This is delicious, Mayor Twyx!"
You looked up to be greeted with a soft gaze from the aforementioned man. It made you immediately look down in surprise, shyly taking another bite of your breakfast.

Watching you carefully from the other side of the room was a not-so-happy knight. His grip tightened on his spear—causing Joy to notice and give him a worried look.

"Is something wrong, Sir Min?" she asked.

His eyes snapped over to her in surprise before shaking his head.

"Uh, no." His expression went back to neutral. "I just don't like how our lord is treating her as if she's completely harmless."

Joy tilted her head, "But isn't she harmless? Besides, I'm more concerned about how you acted earlier towards her. That was quite rude of you to scare her so early in the morning! Lady y/n is our lord's guest. Please treat her as such from now on, okay Sir Min?"

He avoided her gaze. Just as Joy assumed he was going to stay quiet, Min spoke up.

"...Alright."

Joy beamed, flowers practically blooming around her. She clasped her hands together in front of her in delight, "Thank you!"

Min stayed silent after that.

Back at the dining table, you finished devouring the last bits of your breakfast. Mayor Twyx wiped his mouth with a handkerchief before speaking.

"How was it, Miss y/n?"

You grinned, energy fully replenished after a wondrous breakfast. "Please send my regards to the chef! I could eat this for the rest of my life—for breakfast, lunch, and dinner."

"I'll make sure to tell her that then," Twyx returned a smile. "Oh, do you remember how I said we would visit my father last night? Shall we depart to the castle now?

You blinked, "Castle? Does your dad work at the castle?"

The mayor slightly laughed, "In a way, yes. My father serves the people of Candie Land. He's the king." He said it with the same casualness of making small talk on a Saturday afternoon.

Your jaw dropped open.

"T-the what now?" you stuttered, retracting your jaw. "The king?? But aren't you the mayor?"

Twyx looked as if he was holding back another laugh, "I apologize for not telling you earlier, but alongside being the mayor for the townspeople, I also hold the title of Prince of Candie Land."

"Oh. Okay," you blinked owlishly, "Wait what." The man who graciously gave you a place to sleep and fed you at your lowest was actually a prince. You pinched your thigh with your left hand, wincing at the pain. Somehow, Mayor Twyx being royalty was more surprising than you waking up in a world full of Candi people. You spent the next five minutes with your jaw hanging open, and Mayor, well, Prince Twyx saying you'd catch sugar flies if you had it open any longer. You were kind of tempted to catch some and find out what they tasted like. Until Joy rushed over, putting a stop to that idea when she gently pushed your jaw up. 

1