8: Gamble
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The hallways were utterly silent as we walked towards the prison courtyard. Not even a single guard passed by. It seemed oddly empty, so I asked the warden where the staff was.

"Is something the matter? Where is the security?" However, instead of giving me an answer, he just kept to himself.

'Something was very wrong. Let's look around; maybe there's something I can find.'

As I looked, my eyes scanned every corner for any clues. But all I could see were the same dull grey stone hallways. Anxiety started to build up inside of me. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

As I was about to ask again, we arrived.

"Sir Edwards is expecting us, prepare yourself." The warden said coldly.

I could hear him shouting to the prisoners. The sound was muffled though, making me unable to understand the contents of his speech.

'For god's sake, please be a simple roll call!' I begged. A sudden knock on the door in front of us took me out of my thoughts.

"It's the signal, we're going in." The warden said, gesturing for me to step in first. The light that fell from the door quickly became clearer. All the inmates were huddled up, listening to Edwards. 

The moment I entered, Edwards gave me a smile that looked like something out of a child's nightmare. His demonic expression made me jump, but I quickly caught myself. I couldn't show weakness right now.

He stood modestly, a bit higher than the two guards protecting him, though because of his short height, he still wasn't taller than them.

"I have an important announcement to make! We have a hero amongst you pigs, a boy that may rise to even become a human! Let's have dear applause for the keeper of freedom inside this prison, prisoner number 53, Jacob!" The hateful clapping of hands made me feel like an iron fist was squeezing my lungs.

'You bastard! I should've know that you would've exposed me!'

It was already risky for me to request a conversation with the director, since inmates usually grouped against the authorities. And now they knew why I had wanted to talk to him, that I wanted to use them. 

Biting my tongue, I understood that Edwards clearly wanted me dead. He wasn't offering me a position inside the prison. He was sentencing me to death.

Even if I became a guard, I would most likely die at the hands of the prisoners before my escape would be possible. He had set me up. 

'That masochistic bastard never prioritized the rioters. He was just playing around, and my dumbass didn't notice shit!' Anger quelled up in me as I thought of ways to regain control of what might happen to me. There was no way that I could stick to my original plan.

'I can't just sprint, the guards would easily catch up to me. Just following along and leaving immediately after I've become a guard won't be possible. Edwards will probably keep an eye on me, even if he knew that my death was certain.'

I wanted to throw my nonexistent hat on the ground, as the only option I had left was the most direct one. The other ones just won't work anymore.

'If I die by becoming a guard, I might as well take this fucker down with me.'

This wouldn't be the first time I killed someone. All I needed to do was keep calm mentally and my body will take care of anything else. Preparing such a attack also wasn't that hard for me to do right now.

A spell I learned thanks to one of Daniels's business partners was how to unlock the most basic cuffs and knots. It was an infamous burglar called Santiago. We became good friends before both me and Daniel were imprisoned.

Now, my only way to endure this mess was by killing Edwards, in hopes of motivating a riot. There was no other way to get out of here. 

Even if I managed to dash out the door, the warden would get to me. And I can't even imagine what kind of torture I would have to go through if he caught me. Looking at the crowd, I tried to locate the main players of the potential riot.

It was a shame. I couldn't find the knight, but there was also no time left. It was now based on luck whether he would help or not. 

Putting on a neutral expression, I raised my voice to gain the attention of Edwards and the crowd. Straightening my back and feigning confidence, I spoke out.

"As many of you know, there is a conspiracy between us inmates. Like sir Edwards kindly relayed, I wanted to keep the peace and protect us all from bloodshed that would lead to the death of countless innocent people. I do not regret what I am about to do." As I finished my short speech, I turned towards the director, his face showing unmistakable distrust in me. His smile returned as he seemingly came to a conclusion.

'He probably thinks that the cuffs will keep me in check hahaha,' I thought, thrilled to see his reaction after I've broken them.

"We are very thankful to you, Jacob! Which is also why we decided to grant you the rank of substitute guard!" He was confident in winning; however, I still had my spell he couldn't have known about, as I had hidden it perfectly till now. So, I returned his smile and finished my last conversation with him.

"Thank you, sir Edwards! I hope your blessings are rewarded accordingly in your next life!" He immediately understood that I was up to something. Before he could order his guards to safeguard him, I sprinted toward him.

Mages were people who could enhance their own physical abilities by many different techniques. These forms of fighting are all unique. Some may fight in explosive attacks, leaving no trace of their opponents behind; others take out their targets silently with gusts of sharp wind for example. I also developed a fighting style. A fast and agile way of fighting was my idea of perfection.

That's also why I was confident in my abilities to at least take him down.

0