Chapter 10 : Anger and Sorrow
88 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the morning, Raijin walked through the corridors of Konoha's hospital at a steady pace, his eyes flickering with unusual intensity, suggesting that he was thinking of something beyond the immediate surroundings. He had been informed of Minko's hospitalization, making his way to her patient room shortly after receiving the news.

Oddly, he found no sense of guilt weighing upon him, despite the knowledge that Minko's injuries were directly linked to him. His decision to retreat alone to the mountains during Kyuubi's attack on Konoha seemed justified in his mind. The welfare of Minko, whether she lived or died, did not stir any remorse within him, a realization that troubled him somewhat. But he felt that it was well justified.

As he treaded through the halls, Raijin's mind churned with thoughts. 'Let's see… Canon should still be intact since I haven't interacted with any characters yet. This advantage is just too valuable to dismiss while I'm still so weak.' A frown formed on his face, showing his displeasure.

Survival seemed to be the sole driving force behind his actions, a revelation that forced him to highlight his cowardice masquerading as self-preservation for the sake of the canon storyline.

Arriving at Minko's patient room in the hospital, he promptly entered it. Taking a step in, he paused to survey the room before him. His gaze then settled on Minko, who lay unconscious, connected to various life-supporting apparatuses.

Observing the steady rhythm of her vital signs, Raijin approached her bedside and stood silently, his eyes fixed on her face.

"How are you feeling, Minko-sama?" he inquired softly, his hands gently adjusting the blanket covering her.

There was no response.

Recognizing her inability to reply, Raijin relaxed his facial muscles, allowing his gaze to wander downward, unfocused and distant.

"Your grandson must be quite disappointed in you." he remarked, his gaze returning to Minko's face.

In an instant, Minko's expression soured, her lips downturned and her brow furrowed in anger as she opened her eyes slowly, locking onto the boy before her. "What do you mean by this, Raijin?!" she demanded, her voice laced with fury.

~~

If you had to describe the current day in one word, it would often come as a laborious task, but for the Village Hidden in the Leaves, it wasn't so difficult to do so. Mourning was a painful and intense feeling, after all.

The Fourth Hokage and his wife Kushina Uzumaki had perished the night before. Along with them, a plethora of families had lost parents, uncles, husbands, and children. The day had a cloudy look for the most part, with rain gracing the tombstones with drops of water in the afternoon.

In a plaza, all people wore black clothes — a common outfit for the toughest of days. Two huge tombstones engraved with the names of Minato Namikaze and Kushina Uzumaki were positioned side by side. In front of them, numerous graves were also made with names of the brave Shinobi and civilians who dared to cross the Bijuu sight.

In front of the people and close to the tombstones, Hiruzen Sarutobi wore a black tunic. Surrounded by his three trusted elders and clan leaders of the Village, he raised his voice to the public.

"People of the Leaf Village, today we gather not just to mourn, but to remember." He said with such confidence and expertise that the crowd instantly began to hear his words.

"To remember the sacrifice, the courage, and the unwavering spirit of those who have fallen in defense of our home." Hiruzen's expression was somber the whole time.

"These brave souls, these fallen warriors, were more than just shinobi. They were our friends, our family, our protectors. They stood tall in the face of unimaginable danger, never wavering in their commitment to safeguarding our way of life." His words tried to instill hope in the eyes of those downcast.

"Today, as we gaze upon these solemn tombstones, let us not dwell on the pain of their loss, but instead, let us draw strength from their example. Let us remember the courage they displayed, the sacrifices they made, and the legacy they leave behind."

"For they did not fight and die in vain. Theirs was a noble cause, a righteous struggle against the forces of darkness that threatened to engulf us. And though they may no longer walk among us, their spirit lives on in every one of us." He then ended his speech with his last piece.

"Together, united as one, we shall overcome any obstacle, defeat any foe, and emerge victorious. For we are the proud people of the Leaf Village, and as long as we stand together, we shall never falter. That is the way of our Will of Fire!". His last words sent chills down the spines of every old and young citizen, as he said them with such intensity.

The inspiration to move on had at least sown itself in their despairing souls.

In the following moment, a wave of clapping was issued. The crowd, no matter whether civilian or Shinobi applauded the speech in homage to the fallen individuals.

~~

The night seemed darker than ever, with most people attempting to sleep yet remaining awake, their minds still haunted by the events of the previous day.

While some tried to sleep, a group of Shinobi descended into a vast chasm that had vines all over its walls, appearing to be the roots of a large and imposing tree.

At the bottom, Danzo awaited them on a bridge connecting a network of passages within the walls that stretched to a long distance with peculiar architecture.

Danzo had his hands on his back while his bandaged visage revealed only one eye fixed on the approaching Shinobi. When they stood before him, he inquired coolly, "Has everything gone according to plan?"

Immediately, a bear-masked man promptly voiced out. "Yes, Lord Danzo. All is prepared as instructed." he said with utmost subordination.

"Good. Given the recent crisis, take a slow approach. He's still an infant, so there should be no complications." Danzo replied with a menacing undertone. Following that, he dismissed them. 

With malice swirling around him, Danzo couldn't contain showing a slight smirk. 'With hate coming from every side, he will only have one way to turn to. And with time, I'll have a Jinchuuriki dancing in the palm of my hands… Seizing that seat will be a minor inconvenience then.'

Turning away from the bridge, Danzo strode purposefully through the passages, his destination clear in his mind.

A reeking laboratory filled with fresh corpses and scalpels over their bodies was Danzo's destination. The man who worked there was Orochimaru himself — one of the three great Sannin.

Reaching his destination, Danzo looked left and right, observing the conditions of the Lab Room he offered to Hiruzen's student. "Orochimaru… What is this mess?!" He confronted the man with a frown, perusing his behavior.

"Ah, Danzo-sama, how delightful of you to grace us with your presence." Orochimaru said with sarcasm. He flashed a smirk when taking a glance at the old man standing beside the door.

Ignoring Orochimaru's insolence, Danzo pressed, "Explain this mess."

"Oh… This? Merely experiments that were implanted with those excellent lineages of cells. You see, because I'm still not sure how to proceed, I require more time before implanting Hashirama's cells in your arms." Orochimaru's words were filled with concern for Danzo.

Facing the man, Danzo was grinding his teeth. "This procedure… Orochimaru, I'll let you know that you should be more careful. Lying to me isn't the same as to that old man you call Sensei. I won't be as lenient as him!"

Orochimaru maintained his composure. Danzo's outburst didn't seem to affect him one bit. So, he chose to remain silent while staring back at the old elder of his village.

Danzo's anger simmered beneath the surface as he warned Orochimaru sternly, "You'll have a four-month deadline. If you don't have that arm ready for transplanting by then, you'll face the consequences."

As Danzo turned to leave, he issued a final warning, "And don't entertain thoughts of defection. I am watching you closely, Orochimaru."

Left alone, Orochimaru's surprise was evident, but he quickly composed himself, his gaze following Danzo's exit. "Such a bothersome old man," he muttered under his breath, a sly smile playing on his lips.

~~

~~

A/N:

First, I'd like to say that in the next chapter, some things will start clearing up! Still doing some final touches to it, so it might or not be delayed a bit.

Stay tuned.

Thank you for your continuous support. I really do appreciate you, people!
Alright, getting back to work. Peace!

2