Paimon Arrives at the Capital
319 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Paimon leans out the back of the carriage as it travels down a large road. A large kingdom is far off in front of it. Nemuri is sitting next to Paimon, smiling and humming. The rest of the party has they're eyes closed.

'Ugh... it's been about 4 days of traveling...' Paimon sighs. 'We did stop in a small village yesterday so that was nice.' She glances at Teina, who has her hood down and her eyes closed. 'At least Teina is being a lot less antisocial.' 

Teina opens her amber eyes and glances at Paimon, making the Faerie looks away with a blush.

'Paimon feels like a school girl around Teina.' Paimon closes her eyes as a breeze blows by. 'Uh... Paimon doesn't really think she could love anyone, after last time...'

"Useless." A voice echoes in Paimon's head making her grits her teeth in anger.

Paimon takes a deep breath and calms her nerves. 'Paimon doesn't think it'd work out anyway...'

"We nearly there?" Rein's whinny voice asks as he uses a full sack of apples as a pillow.

"Just an hour." Kedrern's voice calls out from the driver seat. "I can see the Castle walls from here."

Paimon starts to float and flies out the back of the carriage and sits on top of it, looking out to the city in the distance.

'Wow, it looks a bit like Minas Tirith from Lord of the Rings, just not as tall, it's wider and doesn't have the large cliff poking out from the castle.' Paimon then grows excited. 'Oh, Paimon's first big city! Paimon wonders how comfortable the beds at the Inn we'll be staying at are, and how good the food is?'

A few birds fly overhead, chirping.

'Hmm, Paimon hopes they don't make a fuss about Nemuri, she's such a sweet creature... Even if she can easily kill any man.' Paimon shivers. 'Though Paimon wonders why she hasn't seen or heard of anymore Daedreams. They're hasn't been a recorded Deadream sighting in over 2,000 years.'

Paimon lays down and stare up to the clouds in the sky.

'Paimon feels like she's getting more questions than answers.' Paimon then lets out an annoyed groan. 'And people keep ruining Paimon's resting days! Like yesterday in the village a dragon had passed overhead, causing everyone to panic, making it hard to get any rest at all!'

Nemuri's head pokes out from the carriage and glances around until she spots Paimon. She lets out a happy cry and waves to Paimon. Said Faerie tilts her head back and looks at her partner, waving back.

"Yes, Nemuri, you can have some red berries when we get to Vophite." Paimon says to the beast.

Nemuri gives another happy cry and goes back into the carriage.

Paimon closes her eyes. 'It sure has been a busy month and a half since Paimon came to this world... At least it's more exciting than Paimon's old office job... Japan treats their workers like shit. At least in my job area. Ugh, my eight hours days half the time turned into 12 hours just to meet deadlines.'

Paimon sits up and watches some deer run deeper into the forest. A few squirrels stop their climbing of trees to look at the passing carriage. A bird lands on a nest and feeds its young.

'Here, the air is clean, the food is all organic, and I can take whatever jobs I want!' Paimon throws a fist into the air. 'Huzzah! I will one day explore this massive world... I think it's twice the size of regular Earth, this continent alone is like the size of Pangea! Though it is the largest continent in the world, there are still a few others. Like the World Tree on the continent just about 500 nautical miles to the west of this landmass.'

Paimon looks towards the castle and sees a farming community outside the gates.

'And it's not even the World Tree, it's just a root of it. Which makes me think there are other realms than this one. But most of the Light Elves live at World Tree, and most Dark Elves live near the Forest of Spirits, which is on the other side of the Badlands.'

Paimon scratches her head as some smoke floats out.

'Just trying to learn everything about this world makes Paimon's head hurt. Like to the North is a large landmass about the half size of Greenland, and it's home to many mines of Iron, Copper, rare minerals, and Jewels. It's mostly a neutral zone, but most of the largest kingdoms control it. Like Elhe Belanore and Stokya Empire. But no one dares to attack that place, since it's heavily guarded by the kingdoms that mine there.'

Paimon flops back onto the carriage roof.

'Then to the south there's a land mass about the size of the U.S.A. that's just complete ice. Strong ice based monsters live there, and I think a few dragons do too. As far as I know only a few small tribes of Demi-humans live there, since they're the only ones who can handle the cold.'

Paimon lets out a yawn as she rubs her cosmic blue eyes.

'So there's only 5 continents, the continent I'm on is split in two because of the Badlands. The two continents here are called Trigus and Moonclure. This half is called Moonclure. The Western continent is called Thallan. The Northern is called Minatrus and the Southern is called Glacies.'

Paimon closes her eyes again.

'But there are many islands out there. The frozen southern sea, the stormy northern sea. Then the monster sea around the South West side of Thallan.'

Paimon rubs her head as her eyes swirl.

'And why does Paimon know all this. BECAUSE SHE'S BEEN LEARNING ABOUT THE WORLD, SO SHE DOESN'T FEEL LIKE A STRANGER WHEN PEOPLE START TALKING ABOUT IT! AHHHHHHH!'

Paimon rubs her wrist as the memories from the void suddenly surface.

'What did she mean by learning more so she could grow?'

"Hey kids." Kedrern calls out. "We've made it."

Paimon sits up and notices the large castle walls looming over the carriage. Everyone climbs out the carriage and looks up to the large stone walls.

"Whoa..." Everyone mutters.

Teina pulls her hood up to hide her features. Demai looks at her in worry, which Teina notices.

"Just a precaution." Teina states, making Demai sigh.

The carriage and the party move into the city with no problems, other than the guards staring at Paimon and Nemuri in shock. Paimon's eye twitches, as she floats next to Julian, as people stare at her in shock and awe.

Kedrern leads the group to a large general store. He turns to the party. "Head inside and see if you find anything you fancy, I need to unload this in the back."

"Right." Everyone nods and heads inside, seeing a magnitude of items, ranging from magical, parchment, ink, potions, ammunition, magic supplies and many more.

"Hello travelers!" A man with black hair and green eyes greets them from behind the counter. "How may I help you today?"

"We're just here to browse, while we wait for Mr. Kedrern to unload his supplies." Julian informs.

The man smiles. "Oh, Mr. Kedrern's here. I shall go help him unload." He walks into the back.

Demai looks at some potions in awe. "This place has so many."

Julian admires a couple swords. "These looks really nice."

Rein holds a metal chest piece and looks it over. "Ehh, seems a little expensive."

Teina just looks around at everyone as Paimon floats past her, with Nemuri right behind her. Albuis glances at some parchment and ink supplies.

A few shadows move past the windows, and more seem to gather just out front.

Demai picks up a whetstone. "We really need to carry one of these."

Kedrern and the shopkeeper come back nearly half an hour later.

"Alright, everyone ready?" Kedrern asks.

"Finally." Rein stops leaning against a wall. "I was wondering if you were gonna return at all."

The shopkeeper nervously laughs. "Sorry, we were catching up on some news and stuff."

Kedrern turns to the man. "I would love to talk more, but we have really important business to attend to."

"Paimon wants to eat when we're done." Paimon puts her hand up, and Nemuri lets out a cry. "And find some red berries as well."

Suddenly a commotion is heard outside the shop which draws everyone's attention.

"I wonder what's going on?" Demai questions.

Julian heads for the door. "Well let's find out."

Everyone heads outside to find the sides of the street lines with people. A large group of soldiers march past, with emblems of a rainbow flower on their shoulders.

"Soldiers?" Rein questions.

"Their not from the Vophate Dynasty." Teina informs.

"They're from Flores, an independent city." Kedrern informs. "Though if they're here that mean she is."

"She?" Everyone questions.

The crowd grows louder as someone walks by, making Paimon's eyes slightly widen. A female with white hair and a white robe walks by.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f7776744356705f655152506a39513d3d2d313432363532363338352e313762376466366236336263623266323335363338353534323736332e6a7067

'That's Proto Merlin!' Paimon shouts in her head, in shock. 'Why is someone like her in this world?!'

Merlin's calm purple eyes glance around the crowd as she walks down the streets, behind her soldiers. Her eyes land on Paimon, making the Faerie shiver as they linger on her for a few seconds. 

The corner of Merlin's lip slightly curls, before she returns to her neutral look. Paimon watches as Merlin disappears out of sight, on her way to the castle.

"That was Merlin." Julian says in shock.

"Merlin?" Rein questions.

"How do you not know who Merlin is?" Demai asks. 

Rein shrugs. "I just don't."

"She's one of the most powerful mages in existence, and is the lead researcher in Magical Studies!"

"I wonder why she's here?" Teina questions.

"I heard her and Princess Wisteria are good friends." Kedrern informs.

"Uh, this will delay our meeting, won't it?" Rein shoulders drop.

"Hey, this is a good thing!" Kedrern slaps Rein on the shoulder, making the Lancer cringe in pain. "You all need to look more presentable for the meeting. Like getting a bath!" He waves a hand in front of his nose. "You all kinda smell." 

The party stares at the old merchant.

"Don't blame me." Kedrern holds up his hands.

Julian sniffs himself. "We do kinda smell." He turns to Kedrern. “Can you lead us to the public baths?"

Kedrern nods and starts to walk off. "Just follow me."

.

.

Paimon cracks her back as she sits down in the open air bath. She sees several other females in the bath, steam covering the important parts. A small blush grows on her face.

"This is nice." Demai says as she sits on Paimon's left.

"I can't wait for some good rest time." Teina sits on Paimon's right.

A larger blush forms on Paimon's face. 'This feels so wrong...'

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f735948506a5843416d43595847413d3d2d313432363532363338352e313762376530366366323639623432653932383235333435373432392e6a7067

"You okay, Paimon?" Teina turns to the Faerie, nearly putting her chest in her face.

Paimon looks up to the open sky. "YUP!"

Demai just chuckles. "I don't really think she's used to bathing with other people, even after all the times I've done it with her."

Steam slowly starts to pour out of Paimon's ears.

Teina smiles. "Ara ara~"

'SHE SAID THE THING!!!' Paimon screams in thought.

Teina chuckles and stretches her arms. "It's nice to be out of that carriage. I hope I don't have to go on long trips like this again."

Demai nods in agreement. "This was a really long trip."

Paimon glances at Teina, observing her tanned skin, and notices scars of various sizes on her arms. And large scars on her back.

'What have you been through?' 

Teina brushes some of her short hair behind her ear. "I really can't thank you all for accepting me."

Demai gives a big smile. "Of course, Teina, you're like family to all of us."

Teina rubs her hand. "Family..."

"Do you miss yours?" Paimon asks as she closes on eye as she glances at the half-dark elf.

"Yeah... I miss my mom. My dad died awhile ago... to some humans." Teina sighs and glances down at her reflection. "I haven't been home in nearly fifty years, nor have I spoken or written to my mother in that time."

"Maybe you should head back soon, and see her." Demai suggests.

Teina grows a small smile. "Yeah, maybe."

"...Wait, how old are you?" Paimon asks in confusion.

"I'm 231 this year." 

"Wow, you're old."

Teina's jaw drops in shock, and Demai sweat drops. Teina then pulls on Paimon's checks as a tick mark appears on her head.

"I'm not old! I still have a good 400-800 years left in me!" The half-dark elf shouts.

"I'm sworwy!" A tears form in Paimon's eyes.

Teina lets go of Paimon's cheeks and crosses her arms as she pouts. "Such a rude Fae."

Paimon rubs her cheeks while Demai chuckles in embarrassment as she notices everyone looking at the trio.

Meanwhile at the Capital a young girl with brown hair and yellow eyes, with a tiara on her head, sits on a couch as she sips on some tea. Across from her is Merlin, also sitting on a couch and sipping on some tea.

"This war is really strange, I must tell you." Merlin states. "The two kingdoms were so peaceful for so long, the one day Yanna starts growing hostile."

Princess Wisteria sighs. "It's just troublesome, honestly. This war is bad for business, and I fear that Euclus might see this as an opportunity to attack us."

"They'd have to either go through a scorching desert or the Haunted Forest with powerful beasts, I think your kingdom will be fine."

"Hmph, don't jinx it."

Merlin chuckles. "The Vophate Dynasty may be small, but you all are really powerful. It'd be a death sentence to try and attack this country."

Wisteria chuckles, and stares down at her tea. "I guess your right."

Merlin looks the Princess up and down. "What troubles you."

Wisteria sighs. "Nothing gets past you, does it."

"I've been alive for a good while, and learn a lot, it's hard to get stuff past me."

"Today I should be receiving two letters from a party called The Spirits of the Fae, they escorted Mr. Kedrern all the way here from Alsely."

Merlin's brow raises. "Kedrern's here?" Wisteria nods. "Hmmm, I shall pay him a visit. But that party, what a strange name."

"I heard it's because they have a Faerie in their party." Wisteria informs.

"A Fae party member, now these people intrigue me." Merlin then mutters to herself. "It must have been that Faerie I saw today. She had such a strange aura."

"What are you muttering about?" Wisteria sips on her tea.

"Oh, nothing to bother your little head about."

Wisteria pouts. "I'm fourteen, I'm not little."

Merlin chuckles. "Your so young, yet so mature."

"The Vophate's since Luka, have always matured at a young age."

Merlin sips on her tea. "I would love to study your children one day and see why."

Wisteria smirks. "As if, but first you need to find a man and have kids."

Merlin scoffs. "Find a man? Never, my Magical Studies are way too important. And with that damn dragon Smaug burning down my forests. I have way too much on my plate."

Wisteria sets her tea cup down on the table between her and Merlin. "Oh, don't say that, I'm sure you'll find someone and you'll have a beautiful daughter!"

"Never."

Suddenly a new figure appears, covered in a shiny green cloak, with the hood covering their face. "Never say never, Merlin." The figure is revealed to be female. "You're fate is not set in stone."

"And what do I owe the pleasure, Miss Goddess?" Merlin does a mock bow.

The figure just holds up a smooth white hand. "Merlin, you know there's no need for that, just call me Tris, like all my friends."

Merlin smirks. "Oh, I am your friend."

Tris just walks over to the two and sits in a chair on the side. "Of course, are we not?"

Merlin doesn't answer and sips her tea. Wisteria chuckles behind her hand.

"Well, Merlin, I have seen that there is a man in your future." Tris informs. "Though if you chose to do something with him, is up to you, your future is not set in stone."

Merlin scowls a little. "I have no time for a man, they just get in the way. And a child would just slow my research down."

Tris just chuckles. "Everything changes in time. Even the worse person can become the best person."

"How's your project doing?" Wisteria asks.

Tris sighs. "Some... complications came up."

Merlin raises an eyebrow. "Is Miss Goddess messing up in the world."

Tris shakes her head. "No, something just happened much ahead of schedule. And for I can't interfere with it now, or it may change their path."

"Oh, your experiment is on a person? I never took you for such a person."

Tris grips her dress lightly. "It was something I started long ago, and hoped it would work. But now, I can only hope that that they follow the path of light."

Wisteria grows a little nervous. "With what your saying, makes me a little worried this person could be dangerous."

Tris remains silent for a few moments. "Only depends on what happens around them."

Wisteria picks up her tea cup. "So cryptic." She sips on it.

"What I'm doing the other gods will not approve. So I can't say much."

"Oh, the sheep is turning into a Lion?" Merlin asks. "How bad can your experiment be if it turns out bad."

Tris just remains silent and Merlin narrows her eyes at the goddess. The tension grows and Wisteria slightly sweats as she looks between the two.

Wisteria clears her throat. "Well, I must go and get ready for a meeting." The tension lessons as the two turn to her as she stands up. "So I bid farewell to you both." She bows slightly.

"I must be on my way as well." Tris informs as she stands up. "Merlin, Wisteria, a pleasure as usual."

Tris waves her hand and a green portal opens in front of her. She goes to step through, but Merlin calls out to her.

"If your experiment threatens the world, I will be forced to intervene, and the gods won't be quiet if I do." Merlin informs.

Tris doesn't answer and just walks through the portal. Merlin rubs her temples.

"Gods are nothing but trouble." Merlin mutters.

"W-Well, then, have a good day, Merlin." Wisteria walks out of the room.

Merlin sips on her tea. "This is some good tea."

.

.

Wisteria sits on the throne as Paimon and her party, along with Kedrern, kneel in front of her. A couple knights stand off to the side.

"Mr. Kedrern, do you have the letters?" Wisteria asks with an authoritative tone.

Kedrern stands up and takes out the two letters from his shirt. "Yes, your Highness."

Wisteria snaps her fingers and a guard walks over to Kedrern. The guard holds out a hand and Kedrern gives him the letters. The guard then walks up to Wisteria and bows as he hands her the letters.

"Thank you." Wisteria grabs the letters and the knight walks back to his comrade. 

Wisteria opens up both letters and reads them over. She lets out a long sigh and sets them down. 

"Thank you for your hard work, Kedrern and Spirits of the Fae." Wisteria stares down at the 7, including Nemuri. "I have heard you all had troubles on your journey."

"Nothing we couldn't handle, your Highness." Kedrern says and the party lightly glares at him.

Wisteria nods. "I have arranged the proper compensation for your troubles." She snaps her fingers again and the other knight walks over and hands Kedrern a small pouch. "In there you will find 25 gold coins. I do hope that's enough for your troubles."

The whole party grows smiles. '25! That's 13 more than the original reward!'

Paimon's eyes grow stars.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4c3361316a704d347632385261673d3d2d313432363532363338352e313762376533353633356262353334643739313239363335313232302e6a7067

Kedrern just smiles. "It's perfect, we can't thank you enough."

Wisteria smiles down at Kedrern. "I must thank you for delivering these to me. And I invite you to a ball we are holding tomorrow night, my servants can set you up in our guests rooms. My father and mother will be there so I recommend coming."

Kedrern looks at the party and sees them all swiftly nod. He turns back to Wisteria. "Thank you, your Highness, we accept."

Wisteria grows a large smile. "Then it's settled!" She claps her hands and several servants walk into the room. "Follow them, we have three rooms for you all. Mr. Kedrern, we have a private room for you."

"Thank you." Kedrern and everyone stands up and bows.

.

.

Paimon, Teina and Demai are brought into a large room with two beds. The servant leading them bows and exits the room.

Demai laughs and spins around the room. "Lavish rooms! Royal cooked food! Oh this is perfect!" She turns to her two friends. "And a massive increase in the reward, today is perfect."

Teina holds up a finger. "Well there's only two beds."

"Paimon will just sleep on the floor." Paimon says.

"Nonsense!" Demai nearly shouts. "I'd rather you sleep with one of us, and not on the cold floor."

"You can sleep with me, Paimon." Teina smiles.

Paimon nods. "O-Okay."

"Well there's a few hours until dinner is served." Demai heads for the door as she grabs her two friends. "Let's check out the library!"

.

.

.

Moonlight shines into the female's room as everything is still.  Paimon stares out a window as she lays next to Teina, who's naked yet sleeping with her back turned to her.

Nemuri is sleeping on a pillow at the end of the bed, with a couple blankets over her.

Paimon looks up at the glittering stares in the sky. 'The stars are beautiful... I wish I could go up there and touch them. The stars are so free up there in the vast space, while we're down here trapped, forever bound by the chains of the world and it's rules.'

Paimon brings a hand to her chest. 

'These thoughts confuse me... I've never been so free before...'

Teina suddenly rolls over and wraps her arms around Paimon and hugs her close. Bringing her chin on top of Paimon's head.

Paimon smiles. 'This feels wrong... But Paimon likes the warmth.' Her cheeks grow warm. 'Paimon's heart feels weird. But she's to tired to think about this...'

Paimon closes her eyes as she snuggles with Teina as she sleep takes her.

A shadow figure looms over Paimon and Teina, its features now more prominent. A slender body with long hair. A creepy smile forms on its face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02-27-2024

3700 words

21