Episode 01: The Scarred Heiress Faces Broken Engagement
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Rupinas, it seems you've been bullying Lena by spilling tea on her and tearing apart the books she cherishes, isn't that right? Lena told me while she was in tears... I cannot allow someone like you, who has done such things, to become part of our family. I am breaking off the engagement."

Just a little before noon. While she was cleaning, Rupinas was called out after quickly changing, only to find her parents, her sister Lena, and her fiancé Dolt waiting for her.

In a moment of confusion, as to what was happening, Rupinas, upon being informed of the broken engagement, couldn't conceal her surprise.

At this moment, Dolt, her fiancé, showed no remorse whatsoever. Instead, he held Lena's shoulders, glaring down at Rupinas with an unnaturally lifted chin.

His eyes didn't hold even a fragment of affection.

"I did not bully Lena. In fact, I—"

"Rupinas, you're horrible! You want to say that I'm lying...!? ...Ugh..."

"Oh, poor Lena. Please don't cry. ...Rupinas, you truly disappointed me. You're not just scarred physically, but morally corrupt and deceitful as well."

Saying so, Dolt embraced Lena even tighter.

Meanwhile, Lena, without letting Dolt notice, looked at Rupinas and smirked, tears shimmering in her cherry-colored, light eyes. Seeing this expression was not new to Rupinas; therefore, she wasn't surprised.

And when Lena shed tears, Rupinas knew all resistance and arguments would be futile, much to her dismay.

Glancing at her parents, she was met with their usual sharp gazes.

(Although I'm the one being bullied... even my parents know... in fact, they've been bullying me together... but it's no use. If our family's second daughter, the little princess, cries, no matter what I say, I'll be the villain. ...It's always been like this.)

Rupinas was born eighteen years ago as the eldest daughter of the Marquis of Reginalve.

Rupinas' parents had no love for each other; their marriage was solely a political arrangement for the sake of their respective families. They mechanically went through the motions, producing Rupinas.

However, Rupinas wasn't the daughter her parents had hoped for.

"I will be engaged to Lena instead of you. My parents and Lena's parents have already agreed. Besides, it was absurd from the beginning. The heir of the Marquisate engaged to Rupinas, known as the Scarred Heiress."

Rupinas, her body trembling slightly, unconsciously extended her right hand to cover her left shoulder.

From the moment she was born, Rupinas had a large scar on her left shoulder. It was a mark that seemed as if coagulated blood from a cut with a blade had formed into a dark red-black bruise.

For a noble lady born into a noble family, especially one with such a noticeable and unseemly scar, it wasn't something easily overlooked.

Generally, until marriage, noblewomen do not expose their skin to men, so it might be manageable until then. However, the prospect of being divorced due to hiding the scar afterward, and the deteriorating relationship between noble families, was easy to imagine.

In a world where noble titles mattered, it was a significant blow to the Reginalve family, who sought ties with high-ranking nobles. Although there were elderly nobles who would say any young woman would do, even they would hesitate, considering how the scar would spread and worsen as she grew older.

Although they had considered treating the scar once, it seemed the doctors had given up, leaving her parents disheartened.

In other words, to her parents, Rupinas was defective from birth.

"In comparison, Lena is such a lovely and kind woman. She must have endured bullying from you all this time, hasn't she?"

"It was tough, but... because Dolt-sama was there for me..."

Thus, Rupinas had been consistently mistreated by her parents since birth.

Moreover, as her younger sister Lena was born without any scars and with a beautiful appearance, the mistreatment worsened over the years.

She faced verbal abuse whenever they met, and despite having a surplus of rooms, she was assigned to the cold and dark room at the north end where the sun never reached. She was given meals and clothing similar to those of servants.

(Lena started bullying me as soon as she was aware of things. Well, it's only natural if she grew up seeing our parents... but still.)

If she wasn't useful as a noble daughter, Rupinas had no choice but to become a laborer in the house and a vent for the family's stress. However, a year ago, Lena brought about a change.

At a certain social gathering, Lena casually mentioned Rupinas' existence, which had not been publicly acknowledged as a member of the Reginalve family.

"I actually have an older sister. She's a shut-in at home because she's scarred. Isn't it pitiful?"

Thanks to her beautiful appearance, Lena was a prominent figure in society. Therefore, Lena's casual mention of Rupinas' existence spread among the aristocrats as the "Scarred Heiress."

"According to Lena, there's an ugly scar on her shoulder, right? I thought it might be okay if she had a decent personality despite being scarred... but bullying? Unbelievable. If I had known her true nature, I would have proposed to Lena from the beginning."

"...I'm, sorry."

(No matter what I say, nobody will believe me anyway... all I can do is apologize...)

Within the Astylarite Kingdom, the Marquis of Reginalve, with its rich veins of valuable resources, had a decent amount of wealth.

Furthermore, Lena was a socialite darling. Hence, there were numerous marriage proposals for Lena from upper-class nobles, even though they hadn't openly acknowledged Rupinas' existence.

(Lena is cute and clever. Plus, she doesn't have any scars... yet she claims I bullied her. If she were to reveal that, any man would feel the need to protect her...)

Dolt's family held a title higher than that of an earl, but they were essentially broke. Therefore, despite being called the "Scarred Heiress," Rupinas, who was certain to marry, was proposed to six months ago.

However, even in such a loveless engagement, it seemed that Lena's pride, which had been ridiculing Lupinus all along, could not tolerate Lupinus, a scarred individual, having relations with someone from the Marquis' family.

Fabricating stories of being bullied by Lupinus, Lena seduced, deceived, and stole Lupinus' fiancé.

"Understood... I will accept the cancellation of the engagement."

Due to Dort's previously acrimonious attitude towards Lupinus, there wasn't much shock regarding the lack of romantic feelings.

However, observing Lupinus, who didn't outwardly show much disturbance, Lena whispered to Dort, "It's a brilliant idea," under her breath.

"Of course. And besides, with you around, Lena's heart will never find peace. So, could you please leave this house as soon as possible, even tomorrow?"

"…! Tomorrow…? But that's too sudden."

"Actually, I want you to leave right now. Can't you hear the words of your future husband, who will become the next head of the family alongside Lena? Should I consult your parents as well?"

"……I understand."

Her father, appealing with his eyes to leave without further ado, and her mother, smiling behind her fan despite hiding her mouth, both implying that she should leave.

Lupinus, reminding herself that she was an unnecessary daughter to her parents, felt a prick in her chest even though she expected no attempt to stop her.

(I am indeed a daughter not needed by my parents. I didn't expect them to try to stop me... But being directly told by them to leave is something I'd like to avoid.)

Lupinus lowered her gaze to the floor, away from her parents.

Her eyes didn't hold despair to that extent, but they were tinged with anxiety.

(I can do all the tasks of a servant, and though my parents and Lena don't know, I've also completed etiquette training... If I live as a commoner after leaving home, manners may not be very useful. If I can read and write, I might be able to find a decent job...? But, there's one concern I have when leaving home...)

Lupinus quietly exhaled a sigh, hoping for this situation to end soon without anyone noticing.

0