Orion 8: Ferrum Gym
96 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So everything is gone, Orion thought, barely believing what he had read.

He stared at the distant wall of books, the book on the Storm of Shadows forgotten on his lap. Ryulu was leaning against him, snoring softly.

The story he'd just read played through his mind constantly.

One hundred and forty-one years ago, an unknown number of legendary Pokemon had gone insane. There were some mentions of a villainous group responsible for it, but no name or certainties. Cities and towns were destroyed, and many people were killed. The most powerful trainers in the world hadn't been able to stop what was going on. The battle between Zekrom and Giratina was said to be what finally caused Arceus to intervene.

Orion opened the book and frowned at the hand-drawn, oddly shaped bipedal Pokemon.

‘Zekrom, able to battle Giratina. Typing unknown. First and last seen near Safron City minutes before the city was destroyed and all contact with the outside world was lost.'

Flipping to the next page, he gazed at a dark, billowing storm that covered a map of the world.

'The Storm of Shadows came when the Legendaries left, and those who believe humans caused the Insanity of the Legendaries called it Arceus's punishment.'

"Arceus…" Orion whispered. He had heard the name before, some legendary Pokemon said to be the creator of all. Orion had barely ever thought about him, but now he wondered if a single Pokemon could have been responsible for all of this.

Hoping it was just a massive exaggeration, he focused back on the book.

The next few pages were filled with stories that made him wonder how much of it was real. Tales about crazed Pokemon attacking cities and bolts of lightning ripping apart vast swaths of land. It read more like a fantasy story than history.

Orion sighed as he continued flipping through dozens of pages, reading only the occasional bit. Names of trainers who saved towns were mentioned, and the years at the top continued going past.

Finally, when he was almost through the book, a page was filled with a beautiful scene of clear skies and sun-covered fields.

'Forty-four years after it started, the Storm of Shadows finally stopped. We have no idea why. Perhaps Arceus finally had enough? Whatever it is, very little is left of Ferrum.'

There were a few more pages about the state of the world, but being ninety-something years ago, he wondered how useful it still was.

"Awesome, isn't it?"

Orion looked up to see Elena standing in front of him, eyes wide.

"I read that book probably a dozen times! Can you imagine there being Pokemon so powerful they can destroy cities? If Grandpa didn't tell me it was real, I would agree with the others that it's probably just make-believe," Elena said as she carefully took the book and looked at the cover.

"Has there really been no contact with the other regions ever again?" Orion asked quietly.

"What? Like Johto and Alolo?” Elena asked.

"Alola," Orion corrected her automatically.

"Yes, well… If those places are real," Elena said, wiggling her eyebrows. "Then, no! I mean, it is almost as hard to believe as legendary Pokemon, isn't it? I've seen drawings of the sea beyond Neos city, and I can't believe anyone sailing across that!"

Orion looked at her, not sure what to say. He knew those places were real. He'd seen movies about them. Thinking about movies and his computer, he looked around, realizing he had seen none of those. Did they not have those things anymore?

He wasn't sure if he should interrupt Elena to ask. She'd continued jabbering on.

"There's so many things that I'm not sure I believe," she said as she stomped to the nearest bookcase, eyes wide and glittering. "Like, how do they expect us to believe that everyone was able to train Pokemon? And dozens by one trainer? Its…”

She shook her head in disgust as she poked in the spine of a book that read, 'Training for Pros.'

Orion was staring at her.

"Can you explain that?" he said, deciding he must have not heard her right.

"Yes! I feel you," Elena said as she shook her head. "According to Grandpa, before the Storm of Shadows, anyone could catch Pokemon, and there was no aura requirement!"

Aura requirement?

"Right…" Orion said.

"See! That's what I told Grandpa! I could believe it if they said everyone had some form of Aura before, and the Storm of Shadows… I don't know, did something ruin that? But no aura requirement?! Bah, who can believe that!"

Orion was having a hard time breathing. What was she talking about, aura requirements? He'd never heard of the term, but… she said it was what someone needed to train Pokemon? Why? And did that mean he had it? He felt a thud against his chest combined with a rush of worry from Riolu. Looking down, he saw Riolu gaze up at him, eyes wide.

"I'm fine," he said. It took a moment to force a smile on his face and manage to calm himself.

Just a lot to take in, he thought, looking up to see Elena was still glaring at the bookcase.

"I was wondering, do you have any books on Aura Requirements here?" he asked.

"What? Of course, but those are in the other area," Elena said, waving over her shoulder. Then she smiled ruefully. "Sorry if I ruined your interest in the old stuff… I didn't mean to. It's just so hard to figure out what's real and what is just fiction!"

"It's fine," Orion said as he got up, putting Riolu on his shoulder. "Can you show me?"

"Sure!"

Orion followed her through the maze of shelves until they reached the central area. She pointed at the bookcase that seemed most used. All of the books were heavily thumbed, their spines bent so many times that long, thin ridges covered them all.

"We've got all the common ones and a few detailed lineage ones for rock and lightning types," Elena said as she walked back behind the desk.

"Though, if you want to borrow one, you will need to tell me where you are staying. You said you were still looking for a place, right?" she asked leadingly.

"I'll take a look first," Orion said as he walked to the shelves.

He began deciphering the backs, noticing many had the word Aura on them, followed by a type, a lineage, or a single Pokemon name.

After a minute, he found a book called Fist Fighting Frenzy! Nothing beats a Fighting Aura Pokemon!

"Oh! I forgot about that! Riolu are fighting types," Elena said. "You really should add some information on his entry in the pokedex you got!"

Orion looked up to see her stare at him intently, and he just shrugged. As she continued staring at him, he felt his face go red.

"Is something wrong?"

"No, I had expected you to be bigger and stronger, that's all," Elena said with a frown. "Have you only bonded with him for a short while?"

I'm big for someone who is fifteen… Orion thought, confused about what Riolu had to do with his size.

"Ah! That explains it! Well, better make sure you eat well," Elena said before poking her nose back in the book.

Orion suddenly didn't feel like reading the books here anymore. He still had to see Gym Leader Krastin and, after that, go back to help Nurse Joy clean out more rooms.

Taking a quick look around, he saw a few more books that deal with fighting types, but deciding he could always come back, he turned to Elena.

"I'm staying at the Pokemon Center with Nurse Joy," he said. "Is it okay if I take this one?"

Elena looked up with a frown. "Nurse Joy?" Then her frown vanished, replaced by a wide smile. "A, right! Tessa! Sure, if you are staying there, it's okay. Just make sure to bring it back when you are done, alright? It's really annoying having to run around to find all the books people forget to return."

"I'll definitely bring it back," Orion said as he nodded.

Not sure what to say, he waved and turned around.

"Make sure you don't forget to fill in the Pokedex!" Elena shouted when he was halfway through the room.

"I will," Orion said before hurrying out of the library.

As soon as he was outside, he took a deep breath of clean air.

"So stuffy in there," he muttered.

"Ri! Oooolu," Riolu said as he jumped from his shoulder and poked at the book he was holding.

"We will read it together tonight," Orion said. He tried fitting it in his inner pocket, but it didn't fit at all, so he just clamped it below his arm.

"Now, let's go and find the Gym!"

"Ri, ri, ri!"

Barely ten minutes later, they were standing in front of a rugged building encircled by a low stone wall. Plants and vines crawled up the sides, while flowers nestled below the window sills. Dull shouts and thudding came from the back, and the double wooden doors leading into the building were open invitingly.

"Ri!"

"Yeah, this is a nice place," Orion agreed as he walked into the room. There were shelves on one side, filled with boxes, books, and other things, and a desk on the other side. An older lady sat behind it, eyes closed and chin on her chest, snoring softly.

Orion walked forward, trying to stomp enough to wake her, but when he reached the desk, her eyes were still closed.

"Uhm… hello?"

"Carnnnn," a soft mutter came from behind the desk.

A large leaf flopped on the desk, followed by a flat plant-like head with large white eyes. "Carnivine," the Pokemon muttered, eyes focused on Orion.

"I… hello," Orion said, staring up at the Pokemon that was taller than him. "Can you tell me where Gym Leader Krastin is?"

"Carni… vine…." the Pokemon said, turning its large head to the old woman.

It nudged her gently, and when she snorted and yawned, it pulled back.

“Who… wha… Viny, why did you?" the woman's incredible green eyes focused on Orion and widened. "Oh! Oh, my! I'm so sorry… hello there, young man!"

"Hello, madam," Orion said, suddenly feeling incredibly young. "I am looking for Gym Leader Krastin?"

"Of course you are," the lady said with a smile before hiding a small yawn behind a wrinkled hand. "Well, I'm sure my boy is at the back, training as always. Just go through that door, follow the hallway, and you will find him if you follow the sounds."

Orion smiled. "Thank you!"

"No troubles," the lady said.

"Carnivine…" the massive Pokemon beside her said, rustling with his leaf-like arms before gently touching the woman.

"What? Oh, of course, how silly of me," she said, turning back to Orion. "My name is Lizbeth, but you can call me Old Lizzy, just like everyone."

Orion could almost feel the pinch his mother would give him, and he shook his head. "Lizbeth is a very nice name," he said quickly.

"Oh deary, you can call me Old Lizy," the woman said, laughing softly. "But if you find it odd, Lizy will be fine."

"Okay, Lizzy," Orion said, feeling slightly uncomfortable. Why did a lady twice as old as his mother have to have the name of a little girl?

"Bye now," Old Lizzy said, stifling another yawn. "I'm afraid I need to rest a bit more."

Orion watched how she lay back in her chair, closed her eyes, and a moment later continued snoring softly.

"Ri…"

"Yeah…"

Orion waved at the towering grass Pokemon, which lowered itself back behind the desk and then walked away.

I'm pretty sure Carnivine shouldn't be here, Orion thought, wondering if he should read some more of the books in the old area of the library.

The door leads into a narrow corridor with a few closed doors and a larger room at the back. Orion walked inside to find a room that could only be described as a small classroom. A dozen small desks with chairs filled it, while images and charts hung on the wall. A blackboard was covered in barely readable white scratches that seemed to describe plant Pokemon.

Shroomish, Orion thought, those had at least been in Ferum.

There was an open door to the side, and heavy thudding came from behind.

Orion walked forward, then stopped.

A graying man with a thick blond beard and a green shirt was pounding at a heavy bag that swung from a rope attached to a wooden construction. Six smaller ones hung a bit to the side.

Two Pokemon stood behind the wooden construction, and Orion recognized only one. A Breloom. The other Pokemon was massive, armored, yellow, white, and green, and had a blazing white beard.

Four young children stood, watching in awe as the man continued striking the heavy bag for another few moments.

"Alright, did you pay attention now?" the man asked in a gruff but kind voice.

"Yes, Master Krastin," the four children said.

"Good, then show me what you can do!" the man said as he walked back from the back.

The children rushed to their own bags, but instead of hitting away, they stopped and watched it for a moment. Then, they began slowly striking it.

"Good, good! Speed is only good if your form is good," Krastin said, arms crossed before his chest and a wide smile on his face. "Now, continue until Brawl tells you to stop. I need to have a chat with someone!"

Orion was surprised when Krastin focused on him, his smile gone and heavily-lidded, very green eyes narrowed. He stomped towards Orion, and as he closed in, Orion was impressed by the massive muscles rippling across the man's lower arms.

"So… you are the kid that just came out of nowhere and says he's from Basil's Farm?" Krastin rumbled. "How about you tell me where you are really from?"

4