Battlelines are Drawn
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At first, I wasn’t sure how we were going to get the Chiefs over to the cave. Were we going to fly them on our backs or what? My question was quickly answered as the two strode past me and without a pause in their stride, fanned out their arms, and took to the air with a magnificent span of wings.

The Chiefs were something different than us warriors. Their feathers appeared almost metallic. In some places, they looked to be razor sharp. The composition seemed to be something like that of their talons, which were more like metal than bone. Some of the end feathers looked like blades. These wings were weapons. Armor plating, very similar to the material of their wings appeared on their necks, chests, arms and backs.

Everything about the Chiefs changed, and I believed I was seeing them in their true form. They were larger and much more powerful. Although they always had a look of experience, their wisdom appeared timeless. I saw them as warriors from time immemorial. Giants who have lived through the centuries. They instilled great confidence. I would have followed them into the jaws of The Dragon.

We touched down at the cave, and Raven and I took our human form. The Chiefs stayed in their buff bodies, and their wings compacted layer upon tight layer until they condensed into sword like appendages. They weren’t overly concerned about finding Bill, but they were interested in the festering corpse of the mother Sasquatch. By the way, they got to keep their feet. They did, I didn’t.

Well, this is how the Dark Angel got here’, Jim said. ‘He can’t go anywhere without leaving a trail of slime behind’.

Yes,’ Chief Dan replied. ‘What do you think this goop is about? It looks like his venom. You don’t think he was feeding on the carcass, do you’?

No,’ Chief Jim replied. ‘I think it’s coming from the Borderland too. It’s keeping the fissure open. Looks to be expanding it as well’.

Do you think we can seal it?’ Dan asked.

No. Maybe Tasha can, but I don’t think she wants to. I think she’s decided we’re going to war’.

I suppose we are’, Dan says. ‘We better figure out what he’s doing here. Do you want to go, or should I? '

I’ll go,’ Jim replied, turning and making his way inside the cave.

Now, I wonder where Bill’s got to,’ Dan said, unperturbed Jim had just walked into a cave where Satan’s angel of death was waiting for him.

Do you think he’s gone into the borderland,’ I asked.

Dan looked around. ‘Well, he’s not here. What’s that old rascal up to?’ he said to himself with a chuckle. ‘Is he planning to take on the Dragon by himself’?

Maybe he’s dead,’ I said.

Chief Dan looked like the thought never occurred to him. ‘No, I don’t think he’s dead,’ he said.

We started kicking around ideas of where Chief Bill had gotten to, but were coming up empty when Chief Jim returned.

He wants Tasha,’ he said.

Dan nodded like he figured that.

And,’ Jim continued, ‘he said they’re already in position for battle and have us surrounded’.

The provincial park?’ Dan asked.

The provincial park does surround our lands down there on three sides,’ Jim replied. ‘And the cave’s to the North. That would make us surrounded’.

Who’s over there’?

I’d say the Nephilim. Their numbers must be great by now’.

Chief Dan nodded his head in agreement.

Who?’ I asked.

The offspring of fallen angels and human women,’ Chief Jim explained. They serve their evil patriarch, and have been multiplying for centuries. We’ve known this day was coming for some time’.

I don’t feel any of the other fallen angels,’ Chief Dan reasoned. ‘Wouldn’t they be here to lead their offspring’?

I think just the Dark Angel is in our reality right now,’ Chief Jim agreed. ‘But there’s still that gaping hole in the carcass. I’m sure they’ll show up sooner or later’.

We better get back and talk with Tasha and decide how we’re going to deal with this,’ Dan said. ‘Raven, you stay here, and keep an eye on things. Stay out of sight, and don’t try to start anything. Just keep an eye on things, and let us know if anything changes’.

When we arrived back at the First Nations, Tasha and the other warriors were gone.

Where’d they go,’ Chief Dan asked Danny.

I don’t know. I thought they were going to join you. They took off in the same direction’.

No, we didn’t see them’, Chief Dan replied. ‘Ethan, you can see what they’re up to, can’t you’?

Yeah’. I kind of knew everything that was going on with them, but I didn’t pay attention to it until the subject came up.

Well, where are they’?

Over at the campsites, in the trees’.

Our side, or the park’?

I don’t know. They’re too high up in the trees. They’re just sitting there. Don’t seem to be doing anything right now’.

Chief Jim looks at me and says. ‘Why didn’t you tell us this when we were over at the caves? We were only a few minutes away. We could have gone and talked to her’.

I don’t know, ' I replied. I could see he wasn’t too impressed I withheld what he, I'm sure, considered vital information.

We don’t use the collective consciousness this way in the New World,’ I explained. ‘In the New World, the collective consciousness is like a huge vibe we all create and are connected to. The vibrancy of the connection provides us with increased stability, energy and potential. We would never think of looking into the personal lives of others. It would be intrusive. We measure the vibe, not the individual, and the vibe among my fellow warriors is they’re fine’.

You’re squandering a valuable resource,’ Chief Jim replied. ‘Keep an eye on those guys and keep us informed’.

Will do’.

We’re in the thick of it now,’ Chief Dan said. ‘If Tasha’s over there, it’s only a matter of time before the shit hits the fan. I say we go home, spend the night with our loved ones, and get an early start tomorrow, unless a fight breaks out in the meantime. Ethan, go to your wife. It might be some time before you see her again’.

When I got home, Leita wasn’t around, which was to be expected as it was only around 4:00 PM. Her and Doc always worked until at least 6:00 PM. Being alone gave me a chance to think over what was going on. I guess I should have expected this going into an AI generated quest. I don’t know what I was thinking when I thought I could just hang out and smoke pot while Leita fulfilled her personal quest. The bottom line with AI is if you enter a quest by yourself, with another person, or eight billion other people, you’re still going to get a personalized quest which addresses what you most need to address in your life.

Mine seems to be recognizing and overcoming evil. Evil in myself, and evil in others. I still have not disassociated myself completely from evil, yet I know others in the New World have. I was a bad dude in my more recent life, and it still lingers with me. I guess that’s what brought me back here again.

These quests are not without their dangers. The only way you can die in the New World is by going on a quest. To experience the lesson, you have to experience the reality and this can take you to death’s door. You always seem to be walking on the razor’s edge. If you fall, you die.

I know what Leita’s razor edge is. She’s working with people who have gone through exactly what I put her through. Terrible memories must be at the forefront of her everyday, as well as the hopelessness she lived with. If she fails to believe you are not your experience, she will fall into the abyss. Fortunately Doc is there to help her with this. AI always provides you with the tools you need to overcome.

I still decided not to tell Leita about what was happening on the other side of the mountain. Two quests; two outcomes. They never need meet. I decided now that I was in it, regardless of outcome, I would go over the mountain, fight the war, and do what I could to ensure my quest did not interfere with hers.

Bubba caught wind I was home and dropped by. I told him everything that was going on and we talked about things he might do to help Leita should I not return.

The thing is,’ I said. ‘I should be able to succeed. AI would never put me in a quest where I didn’t have the potential to succeed. Still, the odds are so against us with this one. We only have two, maybe three Chiefs, Tasha and us twelve warriors. They have the Dragon, the Dark Angel, fallen angels and their offspring, which I have been led to believe are a particularly nasty group to deal with. Apparently, they’re camping over in the park’.

And all of this is because of this quest you’re on’?

I guess’.

And regardless of the outcome, I’m going to be living, or dying in this world’?

Yes. This is the world you now identify with, but you have to realize humans are world builders. This is just one of the many worlds you’re living in. Even if this quest doesn’t work out, you’re still alive and living in billions of other worlds and upon the conclusion of each, your experience feeds into your source being; your transcended self’.

But we all might die in this particular world, like within the week’?

I suppose, but I think this is what happens in every world eventually. There’s a build up of greed and evil until it threatens to tip the scale and destroy all of humanity. In my world, we had corruption in the power structure and economy, and a growing amount of minions serving these institutions blindly. Here you have Nephilim, the human offspring of evil. They’re the same thing. Both are agents of the devil and wear his mark. I think there comes a time in every world when evil builds up and the two sides of life become visible. I think that’s what it takes for the truth to become recognizable. At that time, the world has to decide if it will accept the fate evil has brought, or overcome it, and get on with exploring the potential of a New World no longer harnessed by excessive greed. You knew the world had to change before I ever showed up. It’s your time’.

Well’, Bubba says. ‘I still think you’re a dick, but what about all these people who are showing up for the festival? Are we supposed to tell them to go home’?

I don’t know. This all happened so fast. A few days ago, we were starting to think we were out of danger. I don’t know how bad this war is going to get. It looks like most of the fighting will be concentrated in the provincial park. Maybe it won’t spill over to the festival side. I honestly don’t see how we can stop it now anyway’.

You don’t think we should still hold it’?

Well, we’re only a few days away from it. People are going to keep coming no matter what at this late date. Why don’t you look after it? Kate’s done all the organizing and I’m sure everything will work like clockwork. Just do what you can’.

I suppose,’ Bubba replied. ‘Seems pretty fucked up though’.

Most importantly, try to keep people away from the conflict. It will be mostly humans we’re fighting over there, but they carry demon blood. They’re strong and mean.’

Yeah, we’ll see what we can do’.

We had built up a fire outside the cabin while we were talking, and Leita showed up just when we were thinking of putting on a pot of beans or something to eat. She was especially glad to see me. Our time together had become fairly infrequent with everything going on. She gave me a big hug and kiss, and didn’t seem to want to let me go, which is one of the things I most love about her.

So, how’s the festival coming,’ she asked.

I have to head out again in the morning. It’s only a few days away now’.

Yeah, I’m a bit surprised you’re here now. I didn’t think I’d see you until it was over’.

Well, you know. I moved some stuff around and made time for you.’

She looked at me like I was full of shit and laughed, but we kept holding onto each other. I was horny as hell, if you want to know the truth.

Alright. I see where this is going,’ Bubba says, and gets up to leave. ‘I guess I’ll see you around the festival Ethan. Good luck’.

Good luck,’ Leita repeated. ‘Why’d he say good luck’?

Oh, I’m going to be the master of ceremonies. You coming?’ I asked. I already knew the festival would be the last place Leita would want to go to. Although she loves dancing, she doesn't like big crowds. The main reason though, was because right now, nothing mattered more to her than working with Doc.

Oh baby, I want to come, but we're so busy,’ she said apologetically. ‘We’ve been working so much with Mike, and he’s finally coming around. I can’t leave him right now. Any day now, he’s going to make a breakthrough’.

I didn’t react much to this, seeing as I already knew the answer and it was the one I wanted. I just grabbed her by her little love handles and started guiding her into the cabin. She felt so soft and cuddly.

You’re not mad are you,’ she asked.

No,’ I answered. ‘We’re doing our own things here right? Let’s just enjoy this night together’.

That’s what we did. Leita and I love to lie in bed and fuck and talk and fuck and talk the night away. We talked mostly about her work, because that was the topic that gave both of us the most joy. It seems like things are turning around with Mike, because he’s finally starting to seek Doc and Leita out, which is something he’s never done before. I guess it shows he’s starting to interrupt his behavioral patterns, which is a critical shift if they are to help him. My baby’s doing good work.

While I was making love, things were going a lot differently for Raven. He sat perched in a tree, where he could see the entrance to the cave. Unlike some birds, he didn’t have night vision, but he could still see pretty well, especially because the full moon would be tomorrow.

Staring at the moon got him thinking of Tasha, and how tied she was to its celestial wanderings. It comforted him to know her rage was in check on this night. The warriors who were with her were calm. That meant she was too.

I wonder if she’s thinking about you,’ a voice came from behind him.

He was caught out. He knew it. Whatever he did, transform, try to fly away, whatever, he knew he was in the Dark Angel’s clutches and could not escape.

Relax. I’m just here to talk,’ the Dark Angel continued, in a comforting voice.

Raven remained silent.

You were the first warrior to offer her your protection. You’re the one who has been with her from the very beginning. She must be very special to you’.

She’s special to all of us,’ Raven replied.

Yes, of course, but it’s different with you. Being the first of the warriors to serve her. Spending almost a lifetime in the Borderland together. Your connection runs deep’.

I’ll forfeit my life for her, if that’s what you’re getting at.’ Raven replied.

Yes, but if it gets down to that, she might die too. I can give you her, safe and sound. If that’s what you want. I can give her to you’.

Raven felt a pull. He was bonded to Tasha in a way he could not explain. He needed to be with her. By her side if nothing more. He was fiercely protective of her. He even challenged a couple of the other warriors when he felt they were getting too close to her.

That’s what bothered Raven. He never felt he could get as close to Tasha as the other warriors. He couldn’t sit next to her and feel comfortable, as they did. He was always on guard for her, and that came before his feelings.

I can make her love you,’ the serpent whispered. He saw the Mark-Stepper in Raven. It had grown strong while Raven and Tasha were in the Borderland. He knew desire drove the Mark-Stepper. ‘You bring her and the axe to me, and I will give her to you. Only you. You will possess her’.

The next morning I met up with the Chiefs and we decided we would first go to the festival side of the opposing campsites to see if we could gain any intel. It’s amazing how much things can change in a day. The people had multiplied tenfold, and were streaming into both the festival and park side of the campsites. It was hard to move through the Crowd. Just yesterday, I was strolling through the campsites, and today we had to fight through the masses to get to them.

Eventually, we made our way through the throngs and got to where the people I had visited over the past few days were camping. I had an acquaintance with a few of the people there. These sites were in prime locations regarding the stage and dance area. The campers basically just had to step out of their tents and they were right in the middle of the party. These were the first campsites claimed by early arrivals.

The problem was, right behind them was the first place the hooligans in the provincial park camped when they started showing up. It was on the west side of the large headland we were on, and next to the most direct port to bring supplies from the sea to the festival grounds. We didn’t know it at the time, but the hooligans, who we now knew to be Nephilim, were planning to bring in additional supplies and fighters on the first night of the concert and ambush the festival goers.

At first everything was chill with the people we talked with, but as we wound through the miles of trails and campsites, we came upon a group of campers who looked in pretty rough shape. They were in one of the campsites closest to where the provincial park campsite began. The site had four tents, and I think 11 or 12 people. They were subdued like they were trying to regain their bearings. Some were injured, and they were caring for and comforting each other.

What happened was the night before Nephilim started taunting the festival campers and soon the two sides were lined up on their respective sides, yelling at each other and throwing the occasional bottle at the other side. There were maybe a hundred people on each side. They said it was confrontational, but controlled, and people were mostly drinking, until of course, Tasha showed up.

The festival campers noticed a commotion was going on deeper in the provincial park and beyond their vision. Whatever it was caused the whole park side to move forward into the festival goers side of the campsites. That’s when all hell broke out. When the Nephilim came, they came fighting, and this took the festival goers by surprise. They weren’t expecting a fight, and all of a sudden, they were being attacked. They were getting hit by beer bottles, and some of the hooligans had knives and were using them.

A lot of us ran for safety,’ one of the guys told us, ‘but a lot of us were caught out and fighting for our lives. We were getting our asses kicked, and losing ground fast.

Then, some chick and these other dudes show up and start cleaving away at our attackers. Once they showed up, the fight was over in a couple of minutes. There were dead people lying everywhere.

No one was spared, and when it was over, the chick was still amped and looking for others to fight. She wasn’t even paying attention to us, just looking into the forest of the provincial park and kind of moving towards different sounds she was hearing. Finally she heard something, and took off. The dudes that were with her, dragged all the bodies back over to the park side, and then I think they followed her. It was pretty cool’.

How long ago was this?’ Chief Jim, asked and yes, I could have provided him with this information, had I been paying attention.

Two maybe, three hours ago. Right at the break of dawn’.

Have you told anyone about this,’ Jim continued.

How could we? There’s no wifi or anything. We don’t really know what to do. We’re not from your country, you see’.

Yes, well, me and this gentleman here,’ Jim said, indicating Chief Dan, ‘are the Chiefs and authorities of these lands. If any of you or your friends are concerned, let them know the proper people are dealing with it’.

The festival is going ahead as planned,’ I added. ‘Nothing to worry about’.

The guy looked at me. ‘You know, I don’t know what’s going on here, but those people who attacked us last night are the same scum I’ve always hated. We've been talking with the other campers along here, and we’re not going to take their shit. If they come after us again, we’ll be ready. We’re here to have a good time, but we’re also the type of people who will defend our right to have a good time’.

I hear you,’ I said. ‘By the way, did all those guys with the woman have axes’?

I think so. It all happened so fast, I hardly noticed’.

How come I don’t have an ax?’ I asked the Chiefs, who just shrugged their shoulders.

I think I’m supposed to have an ax’.

I have a spare one around here somewhere’, the guy tells me, and goes off looking for it. He comes back with this little hatchet job, that didn’t look like it could cut through a sapling. Probably bought it online for fifty bucks.

Anyway, what we decided happened was Tasha couldn’t contain herself any longer and she and the warriors attacked the Nephilim from behind, causing them to spill into the Native lands. After she killed them, she went looking for more. We wanted to catch up with her, because as formidable the Nephilim were, they were more or less disruptors to us. We were starting to think they were there to draw our attention away from what the Dragon and Dark Angel were really up to.

We better go find her,’ Chief Dan said.

We set off into the denseness of the forest. All we had to do was follow the bodies.

 

0