Last Light
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leonard took a back seat and let the siblings fuss over each other. 

 

He had gotten a message from John thanking him for not killing anyone however it was clear from his manner of speaking that he was far from happy. While true Leonard stuck to his request of not leaving any bodies behind, he still made a lot of noise during his escape, something that he could tell John was none to happy about. 

 

However the man didn’t bring it up and Leonard imagined whatever favours he would have to do in return might be a little bigger now. So long as they didn’t involve harming his family in any way he would hold no reservations. If he was to expose the Bloodhounds and the Rochesters treachery he would have to climb up their proverbial ladder, something that he doubted could be done without slipping a little blood. 

 

One way or another he would open his homeland's eyes to the truth. In order to ride the wave of war that would soon rush over the galaxy they couldn’t be weakened by such infighting. 

 

Leonard sighed, “ignorance truly is bliss.” 

 

“You say something?” The siblings turned to him. 

 

“Ah,” he scratched the back of his neck. “Nothing nothing, dont worry about it.”

 

“Ok then,” the two went back to talking and Leonard looked at his comm, the time was getting late. 

 

“I still have that dinner with John’s boss, whoever he is.” While he would be happy to stay here, there was still much to do. His driver would be arriving in 30 minutes and Leonard needed to get dressed, as much as he could anyway with his empty wardrobe. “I’ll need to find something. I can’t go in looking like a bum.” 

 

“It’s about time I head out,” Leonard spoke up, standing up from his chair in the corner. “Do you have a place to stay tonight Anna?” 

 

“Uhh..” she looked about unsure, which was enough of an answer for Leonard. He already figured she wouldn’t, and he wasn’t about to send her back to the drab little safehouse he found her in. 

 

“Don't worry about it then, I’ll have a nurse set up a bed for you in here.” Anna visibly relaxed at his words. “Just make sure you don't leave this room, you could get in trouble if your caught wandering the hallways.” 

 

“I’ll stay put,” she answered and Leonard said his goodbyes before leaving to settle the arrangements. The nurse he spoke to didn’t look the most happy about the extra work, however after he explained their situation she happily said she’d take care of it. 

 

“Don’t worry about it sir, while we aren't a five star resort I’ll make their stay as comfortable as I can.” 

 

Leonard gave his thanks before leaving the clinic and heading back home, glancing at his comm he found he was quickly running out of time. 

 

“Leo, welcome home.” His mother, Cassandria said while lounging back on the couch. She did have a job, however the hours were quite light meaning she had a lot of freetime on her hands. 

 

“Hey,” Leonard walked over and gave her a hug. “I won't be able to stay unfortunately, i'm having dinner with an acquaintance tonight.” 

 

“Well that's a shame,” she said as she looked him up and down. “But you're not going dressed like that are you?” 

 

“Ha, no I came back to get dressed.”

 

“Hmm,” she nodded. “Just let me see you before you leave, make sure you actually look somewhat decent.” 

 

“How very kind of you,” he sneered before heading into his room only to find his wardrobe was as empty as he had feared. “Just have to make do with what I got.” 

 

Leonard was very comfortable wearing the same set of plain clothing, and so his wardrobe reflected that. Not that it came in very helpful in this situation. He picked out the most inoffensive outfit he could find, a plain white button up shirt and a pair of black jeans and jacket. 

 

“Guess this’ll do.” 

 

He walked back out for inspection, his mother humming as she took a look. 

 

“Not horrible I guess,” she relented. “It could be better but what can you do? Who are you having dinner with? You're not meeting a woman are you?”

 

“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” Leonard waved her off. “But it's just an acquaintance, nothing more.” 

 

“How very forthcoming of you,” she drawlled. “Have fun with your ‘acquaintance’ then.” 

 

“Yes yes, I will have the best of fun,” Leonard waved behind him as he made his way out, a notification arriving on his comm from the driver John had sent saying he was waiting out front. 

 

The sleek black limousine sat on the street right outside the main gates drawing the attention of anyone on the sidewalk. A well dressed chauffeur in a freshly pressed suit stood by the rear passenger door, holding it open as Leonard approached. 

 

“Welcome sir,” the man gave a short bow, motioning with his hands towards the open door. “If you would, we can leave right away.” 

 

“Thank you,” Leonard leaned down and climbed through the door and the chauffeur closed it after him. Its interior was elaborate, the long and open limousine sported a gold lined black leather seat across its length. A small bar sat opposite, four glasses sat held in place atop, filled with a bubbling red liquid. 

 

The car lifted up in such a smooth motion that it took Leonard some time to even realise they were airborne. 

 

“Who on earth am I meeting?” He thought with some trepidation, such a luxurious car would only be enjoyed by members of the Elders Quorum or other high ranking members of his house. It certainly wasn’t something he expected from a criminal organisation, even if it said organisation was just a front for the Condor Kingdom. It was much too flashy. 

 

“Still, why not make the most of it?” While he didn’t necessarily trust the Bloodhounds enough to completely let his guard down, he still decided to lounge back on the soft leather seats. He had done a lot today so he was very content to lay back. “I could definitely get used to a car like this.”

 

They made quick time, his driver expertly weaving in and out of traffic driving at speeds he was sure was illegal. However its interior was still as smooth as if they were still on the ground, the only way Leonard could tell they weren’t was by watching the city lights rushing by a large window above the car's small bar. 

 

Last Light, as Leonard came to realise, was a much more high class establishment than he had originally thought. He found it strange that the car started gaining altitude rather than descending to the street, however he soon found out why. 

 

Last Light was situated on the top of one of Citadel's many towering skyscrapers, its entire roof being reserved for its use. The car touched down on a small landing pad, a worker dressed in a red and black suit that wouldn’t look out of place in a casino stepped forward and opened his door. 

 

“Welcome Sir,” the attendant bowed as Leonard stepped out. “If you would follow me.” 

 

Leonard followed and was led inside into an extremely opulent restaurant. Its floors were clad in polished black marble that seamlessly transitioned into large gold lined pillars holding up a decoratively painted domed roof. 

 

However, while it was the nicest restaurant he had ever visited, something else gained his attention. It was completely empty, save a lone woman sat in the centre that his attendant led him towards. 

 

“Mr. Vallum,” she stood as he approached letting him get a good look at her. Dressed in a flowing red dress that parted at her upper right thigh Leonard would be a liar if he said she wasn’t attractive. And that was before he got a good look at her fair skinned face and long black hair that fell down over her left shoulder. “You don't mind if I call you Leoanrd do you?” 

 

“That's fine by me,” Leonard answered as he shook her hand, suddenly feeling much too underdressed. “And yourself?” 

 

“Nightingale,” she responded as the pair took their seats, a waiter coming over and filling his glass. “I have to say, I never did think I’d meet with someone of your esteemed House Vallum. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

 

“Likewise,” he took a cursory sip at his glass, pleasantly surprised by how good it tasted. “Although I'm no one important within my family.” 

 

“Ah, but you're still young are you not? Such things will come in time.” Nightingale said with a smile. “And I have a feeling that if our meeting tonight goes well you may very well become a very important person.” 

 

“How so?” Leonard raised his eyebrow. 

 

“Let’s eat first shall we?” She raised a finger and two waiters started making their way over. “No need to rush things. And I'm sure you’re hungry after your ordeal with the White Skull’s.” 

1