Secure Message
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arthur set his work aside, sensing the importance in his son's voice. “Of course Leo.” 

 

Leonard took a seat, “are you able to a secured and untraceable comm unit? I need to make sure it can absolutely not lead back to me.” 

 

“Oh my,” Arthur leaned back in his chair, not at all expecting such a request. “Can I ask what for?” 


“You can certainly ask, but there is only so much I can say.” Leonard didn’t want to drag his family in just yet, not until he had more concrete proof to offer. “Remember when you asked why the Mech Corps would have paid for my treatment?” 

 

His father nodded, “I do. But why are you bringing this up again?” 

 

“You and I both know they wouldn’t pay for such things, it's not worth the cost when they can just train a new pilot. But there is one military organisation with pockets deep enough that such an expense is no concern.”

 

“I think I understand now,” Arthur could interpret what he meant but refrained from saying the name. “But that still doesn't explain why you would need an untraceable comm.” 

 

“I need to get into contact with them again, but I cannot give my name,” Leonard explained. “For reasons I can't explain right now what I need to say can’t be traced back to me, no one can know that I used the comm.”

 

Arthur stroked his chin, thinking over the situation. “I can see why you can’t be completely forthcoming if you are dealing with the organisation that I am thinking of, however answer one question for me. I don't care if what you need to say is illegal or not, just tell me, will it harm the family in any way?” 

 

“No,” Leoanrd didn’t have to think. “What I'm doing will only benefit our family and the nation as a whole.” 

 

“Those are some bold words. Very well, I can arrange a secure comm unit for you,” Arthur decided, he trusted his son not to lie about such things. “It will take a few days and I will have to ask your grandfather for some help in this matter. But do not worry, he can be discreet. You do not live as long as he has by running your mouth.” 

 

Nicholas Vallum, the latest member of the family to be raised into the ranks of the Elders Quorum. Leonard had not seen his grandfather in sometime, the man not living here on Citadel, instead he oversaw the day to day operations of the Vallum family's ancestral home. 

 

The estate in which Leonard currently resided may be home to the largest number of their family, and the place where the current patriarch held court, but it was not when the family had begun. Their home planet, Vallum, for which the family named themselves after, was a small unimportant planet in an even smaller solar system. 

 

The planet held very little importance to the outside galaxy, however to the Vallum family it was their spiritual and ancestral home. The planet was home to the families main mech force, and was where Leonard and his sister Summer went to train in their early years, before enrolling in the Mech Corps Academy. 

 

Ruled over by the youngest standing member of the Elders Quorum, which for the last 50 years had been Leoanrd’s grandfather,  Nicholas Vallum. Leonard had only seen him a few times, mostly during his time training on the ancestral planet, his grandfather making sure he didn’t slack off in the slightest. The man was harsh but he was fair, living as long as he did the art of subtlety was often lost, do or do not he often said, there was no inbetween. 

 

“Thank you for this father,” Leonard bowed his head, truly meaning the words. 

 

“Don’t do that,” Arthur looked uncomfortable at his son's actions, almost getting off his chair to raise his shoulders back up. “A Vallum should never bow, keep your shoulders straight and proud.” 

 

Leonard almost scoffed at the family motto that was installed in everyone since the day they were born. Never bow. It was a holdover from the days of the monarchy, that a Vallum should never again accept to be ruled over by a king. But to keep their shoulders straight and proud, their only master being themselves. 

 

“I have to go get some sleep,” Leonard went to stand. “That Dr. Priscilla that you made me go see wants me to come back tomorrow morning.” 

 

“She’s a professional,” Arthur smiled. “I trust her judgement. If she wants to see you again she wants to see you again. She will let you know when she thinks you are done.” 

 

“I know, but I don't really see the point.” Leonard began to complain. “All we did was play chess for most of the session. What's that going to achieve?” 

 

“Haha!” His father laughed. “That's better than my first time at least. When your mother dragged me into her office the first thing she did was force me to sleep. I had been working overtime for weeks at that point and as soon as my head hit the couch I was out for an entire day!”  

 

“You just slept?” Leonard imagined his mother dragging his father into the doctor, only for the man to fall asleep the moment he got there. 

 

“She is good at what she does, trust the process.” Arthur smiled. “Ask any veteran around the estate, they will all sing her praises. If she wasn’t here I dare say this family would have imploded years ago.” 

 

“I get it, I get it, you don’t have to keep singing her praises.” Leonards mood lightened at the simple conversation. “If you keep at it, mother will become jealous.” 

 

“Jealous of what?” As if on cue, his mother Cassandria walked into the room, a curious look on her face. 

 

“Nothing dear,” his father waved her off. “I was just speaking with Leo about his time with Priscilla.”

 

“Ohh?” The doctor's name pecked her interest. “You visited the doctor? How was it? And why didn’t I know about this?” 

 

She glared at Arthur who sheepishly scratched the back of his neck. It was obvious to Leonard that he didn’t tell his mother, and now Leoanrd was left to deal with it. 

 

“It was good, we just played some games and then I left.” Leonard explained, his father looking about the room as if it had nothing to do with him. “As to why, ask dad, he was the one that set it up.” 

 

“He was, was he?” She glowered at him again, though the small raise in the edge of her lips showed that she didn’t take it seriously. “Well he will just have to explain himself then wont he?” 

 

“Ahaha..” Arthur laughed nervously. “Why don't we go to bed then dear? It's getting late after all, and Leoanrd needs to be up early to go see the doctor.” 

 

“Uh huh, is that right?” Cassandra stepped up and grabbed her husband by the tie and Leonard instantly wished he was anywhere but here. 

 

“Okay!” He got up quickly. “I'm off, goodnight mother, goodnight father.” 

 

“Goodnight sweetie,” his mother called out after him as he rushed out, his father mumbling something as well that he couldn’t make out. 

 

“Urgh, I get that this is their house but can't they do that in their room?” Leonard inwardly complained as he lay down on his own bed, looking up at the empty ceiling. “I don't need to know whenever they try and have another child.”  

 

Leonard shivered at the thought, slapping himself in the face to chase it away. Lucky his comm unit buzzed, offering the perfect way to clear his mind. 

 

“Good day Leonard,

As per my superiors wishes I have forwarded you the details to tomorrow night's meeting. It will take place at my warehouse so you should have no trouble making your way here. 

 

Due to the nature of your family name it is encouraged that you wear the faceplate you recently received, rest assured no one but me or my superior know of its likeness. 

 

Please read attached for more information.” 

 

“That was quick,” Leonard had thought as he read through the message. He had thought he would receive the details in the morning, but it seemed Nightingale was efficient with such things. 

 

The file was nothing special. Leonard had half hoped that there would be a list of attendees, however he knew the Bloodhounds wouldn’t be stupid enough to do that. Instead all it included was the location and time of the meeting, as well as a brief list of what would be covered. 

 

“None of this makes any sense to me,” he thought as he read through the brief list of topics to be covered. They ranged from manpower distribution to sales and even a point for a promotion of a Bloodhound member. “But I don't imagine they explain to me in detail how they conduct their illegal operations. Even if that would be helpful.” 

 

Even if he didn’t understand, he could find someone that would. Someone that he knew from the future would be a great asset to him and his mercenary group. Someone that currently worked as a private investigator, and that he would have to go and meet in the morning. 

 

He sent a message to the investigator, who responded almost immediately. From what Leonard knew he was down in the dumps and completely out of work. Which suited him, it would mean all his focus would be placed on Leonard's job request.

1