Chapter 8
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I quickly pulled out my laptop and placed it on the table to shield my face as I ate. I wouldn't want a billionaire boss to see me with chocolate spread all over my face.

I kept glancing at him surreptitiously but he seemed entirely focused on his screen. I wondered though.

Was this a coincidence? I highly doubted it.

The saying goes once is chance, twice is a coincidence, third time's a pattern. I could believe that the first two times were us coincidentally meeting. But sitting in my usual seat at the usual time I came to my favorite coffee shop was highly suspicious. Add in the encouragement to sit and a suspiciously full venue. Smelled like a plot to me.

Sure of my assessment, I continued eating my croissant peacefully while sipping my tea. If he had something to say then he would say it. Until then, there was no need to stress about it.

Sure enough. As the last croissant bite entered my mouth, I saw him look up and couldn't help but admire his features.

Black hair roughly swept back, thick black eyebrows over piercing light brown eyes. His face was smoothly shaved now exposing his sharp jawline and full pink lips. He was wearing a black fitted long sleeve shirt that outlined his toned arms. I had to admit Avery Rockerfeller was quite handsome.

"Miss Blackwell I was hoping we could talk."

"Sure, and please call me Canary."

"Then Canary, I have a proposition for you."

"Sure let's hear it," I replied calmly. He was probably going to ask me to properly deny the rumors. It would hurt his image if the public thought he had intentions towards a minor.

"I'd like to make a deal with you."

"Oh?"

"I'm sure you've seen what the media is saying." I nodded in agreement, "I would like you to neither confirm or deny the rumors. From the report I've gotten from you, you'll be turning 18 within the next couple of months. When that happens I will have my people resurface these rumors again and blow them out of proportion."

"I see." I mulled over his words. "You mentioned a deal Mr. Rockerfeller and honestly I don't know how this is beneficial for me. If anything it does great harm to my image and I can't accept that. I'll have to decline." Who wanted to be known as the person who went after their ex's married father.

Not me!

"Interesting." He let out a chuckle, "Do you know how often people tell me no?"

"Not often I guess." was my bland response. As a rich young master who would dare say no to you.

"Very rarely."

"Congrats, you've lived your life as a dictator. The deal?"

Avery glanced at me in a bit of surprise before continuing, "I've done my research on you. Canary Blackwell. 17. Illegitimate. Formally joined the Blackwell household at 7 years of age. Has held a part-time job since 14 years old at the city library. Current valedictorian of the best high school in the country. Entered A University with your own merit and on a scholarship dependent on your grades. All in all a smart independent miss who's not getting support from her family am I correct?"

"You PI (private investigator) is very good, but I don't understand why you went through all that trouble," I replied calmly although I shivered internally. That was my whole life laid bare in a couple of words.

"I'm getting to that and please don't flatter yourself. These are all things a quick search would return. If you don't want your life to be public you need to do better than this." he chuckled coldly, "Regardless, I see that you're quite smart and motivated despite the family situation. My guess is that you were banking on this engagement to go through. What I'm offering you is an internship and job at one of my startups. You'll have an internship at a top company fully supported by me for the next 4 years. It will give connections you won't build elsewhere as you're unloved by your family. After your graduation, regardless of your internship performance, I will give you a full-time job in any field you want with a grace period of 1 year. "

He paused and smirked at me, continuing, "Now isn't that such a good deal for you Miss Blackwell?"

0