Chapter 1: Dimensionally Displaced
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alexander Chen stared out the grimy window of his cramped Hong Kong flat, the perpetually overcast sky mirroring the bleakness gnawing at his soul. Rain, laced with enough pollutants to make it sting the skin, dripped down the glass like tears. Below, the relentless drone of self-driving cars and hovering delivery drones created a discordant soundtrack to his lonely existence.

The year was 2060, and the world had yet to fully recover from the devastating Third World War. Sure, the nukes hadn't flown, but the decades of cyberwarfare, economic sabotage, and proxy conflicts had left their mark. Pollution choked the air, rations were a grim necessity, and the once-global economy had fragmented into a patchwork of isolated trade blocs.

Alexander was one of the countless cogs in this damaged machine. By day, he worked as a low-level data analyst for a faceless conglomerate based in the Pan-Asian Federation. His job involved endless hours of sifting through mountains of information, searching for patterns and anomalies that could be leveraged for profit - soul-crushing work designed to pay for his meager necessities.

Escape came in a sleek black visor and a pair of haptic gloves. When Alexander wasn't slaving away in the corporate matrix, he found solace in the hyper-realistic world of 'The Empire'. This VR game was more than a game; it was an entire simulated world, vast and impossibly intricate. Every day, millions retreated into its digital embrace, building kingdoms, waging wars, and living lives far more fulfilling than their real ones.

Alexander was not a casual player. Driven by an inner fire he dimly recognized as the embers of ambition his drab reality had long extinguished, he'd poured countless hours into The Empire. He was a strategist, a planner, relentless in his pursuit of virtual power. Some nights, fingers twitching on the haptic gloves as he commanded armies and forged alliances, a sliver of doubt would creep into his thoughts. Was he wasting his life in this digital realm? Should he be doing something, anything, to make a difference in the real world?

The answer always came with crushing clarity the moment he woke to the relentless hum of his flat's filtration system. The Empire wasn't just a game; it was a refuge. It was a place where he mattered, where his actions had consequences, where a life built on strategy and ambition could actually lead somewhere.

Coming back inside the room, he picked up the TV remote to switch off the old wall TV, when his hand froze on the worn TV remote, poised over the power button. The news anchor's voice, usually a droning background noise, had cracked through his thoughts with the sharp urgency of an alarm.

"…unconfirmed reports of a meteorite breaking through the orbital defense net… current trajectory indicates a possible impact zone in the eastern Atlantic…"

A jolt of unease ran through him, a flicker of something akin to worry for a world he felt more and more detached from with every passing day. But the spark faded almost as quickly as it had come. Meteorites, even ones that slipped through the defenses, were a rarity in this day and age. It would be a spectacle, nothing more.

His phone buzzed, the vibration harsh against the threadbare fabric of his pocket. Pulling it out, he saw the caller ID flash across the screen: 'Sarah - Work'. His stomach clenched, a familiar mix of dread and resignation twisting through him. Sarah was... well, she was his wife's best friend. The calls never brought good news.

"Alex?" Sarah's voice was strained, a stark contrast to her usual bright chatter. "Look, I'm so sorry, but I had to tell you. I saw Emily today. At the Luxe on Wenxiang High Street."

The Luxe. An absurdly expensive, gaudy testament to the widening wealth disparity plaguing the world. The kind of place neither he nor Emily could ever dream of affording. "With who?" he managed to ask, the words like sandpaper in his throat.

"I don't know. Some guy, looked like a rich second generation. Well-dressed, fancy car... Alex, they went inside. Got a room."

He simply sighed, a long, hollow sound that seemed to echo in the quiet of his sparsely furnished flat. "Thanks, Sarah," His voice sounded distant, even to his own ears.

"Alex... I'm so sorry." The genuine sympathy in Sarah's voice was almost worse than his wife's calculated indifference. He cut the call short, his hand shaking ever so slightly.

Emily. Beautiful, vibrant, always chasing a life far beyond their modest means. He'd loved her, once. Or rather, he'd loved the idea of her. The harsh realities of their marriage had eroded that love long ago. He had long ago made peace over their lost love. These days he sometimes even wondered if he could ever love another woman.

A fresh wave of exhaustion washed over him. Another fight, another pointless confrontation... it would solve nothing. She would cry, apologize, promise to change. And soon enough, the cycle would repeat.

He stumbled back toward his bed, the weight of the betrayal he long knew coming was still like a punch in his gut. The TV flickered, forgotten. The news anchor's panicked updates on the meteorite's trajectory faded into meaningless noise.

Reaching for his VR headset, a black apparatus with the logo of 'The Empire' emblazoned across it, he slipped it on. It was a sanctuary, a place where the messy betrayals of the real world didn't exist.

A brilliant white light flashed before his eyes, and moments later, a gentle, melodious voice drifted into his ears. "Welcome to The Empire. Do you wish to start a new game?"

"Yes"

"Please customize your avatar"

"……"

"Please state your desired starting location"

"……."

"Welcome to the continent of Lantia."

Lantia. A fresh start, a clean slate. It didn't matter that it wasn't real. It was his.

A few hours later the sky outside the grimy window erupted in a silent scream of light. A meteorite, renegade and blazing, tore through the atmosphere leaving a trail of superheated air. Across Hong Kong, lights flickered and died, plunging the city into a sudden, sputtering darkness. But Alexander didn't notice.

Immersed in the vibrant world of The Empire, the power outage meant nothing. Secure within the self-contained system of his VR headset, he continued to shape his digital kingdom with an intensity that had long since vanished from his real life.

Then came the surge. A spike of unstable power coursing through the overloaded lines, reaching his modest flat, and finding the easiest path to ground - the sleek VR visor strapped to his head. There was a flash, unbearably bright, followed by a sickening sizzle, and then...nothing.

Alexander Chen, the frustrated data analyst, a defeated man, a tired man, ceased to exist. His limp body slumped against the worn armchair, the faintest wisp of smoke curling from the ruined VR headset. The Empire, with its lush landscapes and meticulously assembled armies, vanished in an instant, replaced by unrelenting blackness.

It would be Emily Wong, his indifferent wife, who would find him the next day. She'd return from her tryst, buzzing with expensive perfumes and the thrill of betrayal, only to be confronted with a different kind of devastation. Her scream would echo in the empty flat, a stark, discordant note heralding the final, irreversible power surge that had brought Alexander Chen's story to an abrupt, unspectacular end…….or not?

@@@@@@@@​

Across the length and breadth of Westeros, the world unleashed its fury. From the frigid north to the sun-kissed south, the very bones of the continent trembled. The ground beneath strong castles and humble villages alike became a monstrous, bucking beast, flinging aside anything man had dared to build.

Lord Tywin Lannister, seated at the polished table in Casterly Rock, felt his golden cup rattle as the first tremors struck. His usually impassive face cracked into a frown of unease. Not since the Doom of Valyria had the world witnessed such a display of raw might, he remained seated until the screams started as he rushed out of his chamber in the corridor only to find the servants all running towards the open balconies. No one noticed his arrival and had the situation been normal then the Lord of Rock would have reminded these servants of their positions, but no words came from his mouth as he stared dumbfounded at the stars dancing in the sky.

Far to the north, within the stout walls of Winterfell, Rickard Stark felt a chill of unease. The Starks were a people forged in unforgiving lands, yet even their stoic blood ran cold in the face of the earth's rebellion. His sons, young as they were, clung to their mother with wide eyes as the ancestral stones of their home creaked ominously.

In the south, the matriarch of Highgarden, Olenna Tyrell, scoffed as her teacup danced on its saucer. The Queen of Thorns had weathered storms far greater than this, but the sight of the very earth in upheaval set a tremor in her typically unflinching heart.

Prince Doran Martell, ever-patient on his Water Gardens balcony, watched the fountains ripple and sway. Even in Dorne, with its parched sands and dry heat, the earth's wrath was unavoidable. Yet, his keen eyes were drawn upward, not to the trembling land, but to the spectacle unfolding in the heavens above.

The night sky, once the vast painting of familiar constellations, had become a canvas for an otherworldly dance. Chunks of ice, wreathed in flame, tore through the darkness. Their unearthly glow painted the sky in streaks of brilliant blue, fiery orange, and bone-chilling white. As they burned and broke apart, they left trails of shimmering stardust that swirled and reformed in ever-changing patterns.

In King's Landing, the earthquake barely eclipsed the terror that bloomed in the heart of Aerys II Targaryen. The Mad King, already teetering on the brink of insanity, shrieked as his throne room shook. What he saw in the fiery spectacle, no one knew, but one thing would become clear soon whatever it was, had sapped away the last bits of sanity from the king.

Beyond the Narrow Sea, the free city of Pentos wasn't spared. Merchants abandoned their overflowing stalls, slaves dropped their labors, and the magisters trembled in their high towers as the earth heaved beneath them. Across Essos, in the shadowed temples of Asshai and the teeming bazaars of Qarth, the night sky became the focus of fearful whispers and fervent prayers.

The Red Priests of R'hllor, ever obsessed with prophecy, stared into their sacred flames and saw visions of a two-headed eagle bathed in ice and fire, its wings casting a shadow over the known world. In the House of the Undying, the warlocks of Qarth tasted the tang of blood and ash on their tongues, their ancient magics screaming warnings they barely understood.

In the vast, arid heart of the Dothraki Sea, the Dosh Khaleen whispered ancient forgotten words, their bodies out of their control as they plunged daggers in their hearts all the while around them, in the city of Vaes Dothrak, countless Dothraki, from Khals to young screamers, trembled in fright under the spectacle in the open sky.

From the frozen wastes beyond the Wall to the far-flung ports of Yi Ti, the earthquake and the celestial dance that followed were events destined to be etched into legend. Bards would craft songs of those fearsome hours, and generations yet to come would whisper of the night the earth shook and the stars fell from the heavens.

@@@@@@@@​

Along the western edge of the North, a transformation more startling than any earthquake took place. Where once the sea crashed against rugged cliffs, the land itself seemed to rise in rebellion. The ocean churned and receded as if the mythical Children of Forest had used another Hammer of Water, which, that broke the arm of Dorne and the Neck.

From the jagged rocks of Blazewater Bay to the windswept cliffs of Sea Dragon Point, the coastline itself recoiled. From thin air, as if by the miracle of the Old gods, a new land appeared. Lush green hills unfurled where salt spray and rocky outcrops had held dominion for millennia. The rolling landscape dipped and rose, culminating in a breathtaking vista: a chain of snow-capped mountains, their peaks wreathed in mist.

Coastal villages, once teetering on the brink of the world, now found themselves nestled in the cradle of unexpected valleys. Perplexed fishermen, who had run out of their huts due to the earthquake, stared in disbelief as their familiar fishing grounds baked into green plains beneath the night sun, even as the stars danced.

The hardy folk of the Stony Shore and the Rills, accustomed to a life governed by the sea's whims, watched as their small village harbors transformed into winding rivers snaking through meadows. Boats lay beached on strange new sandbars, under the starlight, their weathered hulls stark against the verdant landscape.

Closing Note: If you have any questions or suggestions then please drop a comment

0