18. A Fist for a Slap
28 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The morning dawned and Mai looked like a bombed-out toilet. She hurried to get ready, but before she left, her gaze fell on the nightstand and caught sight of her used bandages from yesterday. She had used new ones every day because she sweated in them, making them smell awful, and they needed to be taken to the main building where her grandfather was, as they collected laundry there.

"I'll have to do that later."

She hadn't slept well last night after the incident with Emperor Jinling. She went to work lost in her own thoughts. She didn't know what to say the next time she ran into Emperor Jinling.

"He didn't notice anything, did he?"

He was stressed, frustrated, and irritated with himself.

"How could I be so stupid as to kiss him? He deceived me last time too."

Suddenly, she missed Lin and looked forward to seeing him again. She needed a big hug from him. She slipped her hands into her pockets and felt the warm glass stone from Ling, which she took out and looked at in her right hand. It emitted a glow and resembled a white stone or a glass egg. It was warm, and she gently squeezed it, feeling a delightful warmth spreading in her palm. She broke into a smile and relaxed.

Suddenly, a large group of women came walking towards her, and she stepped aside to give them space. She continued walking, keeping an eye out, but suddenly her nose collided with someone. She felt pain in her nose and dropped her stone. What the hell? Mai was sure she had looked properly.

"Ouch, watch where you're going, you peasant!" It was a shrill, high-pitched voice belonging to a woman.

It grated on Mai's ears, and she took a step back, massaging her nose. It felt sore but wasn't terribly painful.

*crack*

The woman suddenly stepped on the dropped stone, shattering it, causing Mai to look at the woman's right foot. The stone resembled broken porcelain, with uneven pieces. Suddenly, her heart ached, and she felt upset. It's Sister Ling’s gift! She bit her lip and looked at the woman. To her shock, it turned out to be Anni, her twin sister. She had a mature appearance with broad jaws, a square head, and dark skin but still resembled herself as a child. She wore a thick layer of makeup and had an enormous head with masculine features. She wore a long pink dress with several layers, the collar was white, and she had a gold hairpin in her hair, beautifully arranged, giving her an elegant appearance despite her masculine face. Next to her stood two maids in beautiful dresses that were less colorful so Anni would stand out. They stared at Mai with a contemptuous expression as if they had just chewed on a lime.

"Didn't you hear what I said, soldier? Are you deaf or what?" Anni said loudly in a cold voice.

Mai furrowed her brows and replied, "I hear just fine, my lady. I apologize. Could you remove your foot?"

Anni furrowed her brows and looked at the stone. She slowly lifted her foot and smiled. Just when Mai thought she would remove it, she suddenly stomped on the stone and smeared it onto the courtyard.

*Crunch*

Mai felt a piercing pain in her heart at the sight.

*Bang*

Something exploded loudly inside her, and she bit her lip. She looked at Anni, who took a step forward and stretched her arms out towards Mai.

*Smack*

Mai felt a hard slap on her left cheek and was shocked. There was a burning pain spreading on her cheek, and she held onto it, massaging it. She glared at Anni, who now wore a confident smile on her lips.

"There's more where that came from if you don't behave, scoundrel."

Mai grew angry and said, "I apologized, my lady, for not seeing you, but you didn't need to further destroy my stone."

Anni's eyes narrowed as she hissed, "You insolent dog! Do you even comprehend who you're addressing?"

Mai's lips curled into a disdainful smirk. "Oh, I understand perfectly. I'm addressing a pampered princess who wouldn't know hardship if it bit her."

Anni's cheeks flushed with anger, her voice dripping with venom. "How dare you speak to me in such a manner? You're nothing but a lowly soldier, barely fit to lick the dirt from my shoes!"

Mai's gaze hardened, a flicker of bitterness crossing her features. Why would I want to do that?

"Perhaps, but at least I've earned my place through merit, not mere birthright. Unlike you, who rely on daddy's favors to get ahead."

Anni's fists clenched at her sides, her facade of elegance crumbling under Mai's cutting words. "You insolent cur! I'll have you flogged for your impudence!"

Mai's laughter rang out, tinged with scorn. "Oh, please. You couldn't handle a day in my shoes, let alone a lash. Your soft hands are better suited for embroidery than wielding authority."

Anni's face contorted with rage, her breaths coming in sharp gasps. "You'll pay dearly for this. Mark my words."

*Smack*

Mai felt another hard slap on the other cheek and looked at Anni in shock again.

She massaged her cheek and furrowed her brows, "Let me remind you that I am an imperial soldier. You have no right to hit me, my lady."

"Tch. Someone like you is an imperial soldier? You must be from the backwoods, dog" said Anni, giving Mai another slap on the right cheek.

That was the last straw! Mai had been polite, but now enough was enough. She stretched her right arm out towards Anni, who watched it closely, furrowing her brows.

"What do you think you're doing?"

*Smack*

A hard slap landed on Anni’s left cheek, causing her to stagger and lose her balance as her maid grabbed her. Shocked, she held her cheek and grew angry. She clenched her teeth and pointed at Mai.

"How dare you strike Consort Lady Anni. It's the same as striking the emperor!" said a maid in a cold voice, pointing at Mai, who shrugged in response and charmingly smiled at her.

"I'll have you beheaded, peasant. Who the hell brought you here?" Anni yelled loudly, echoing across the courtyard.

Everyone nearby who was busy with their work suddenly stopped and looked over at Mai and Anni.

"It's Consort Anni and Imperial Soldier Luo Tian."

"Ugh. He's really unlucky to run into her."

"Who do you think will win?"

"Hurry up and place your bets before they start."

Mai was already boiling with anger and had had enough. Why is Anni so childish? That mentor must be turning in her grave now.

"You sure are high and mighty. That position must have gone to your head." she muttered quietly.

But it was loud enough for Anni to hear every word.

"You filthy rascal. I'll have your head."

Mai smiled and replied in a cold voice, "Bring it on. I serve the emperor, not some insignificant Consort Lady who isn't even favored. Maybe you should take a good look at yourself next time you put on makeup."

Anni clenched her teeth and rushed towards Mai. She grabbed her hair, and Mai defended herself by doing the same. They pulled and tugged at each other's hair, and Mai felt nails digging into her face. In response, she delivered several punches to Anni's face and hit her hard in the stomach, causing her to gasp and be pushed back. She lost her balance, held onto her stomach, clenched her teeth, and got up. Mai thought Anni had given up, but suddenly she rushed at Mai again, screaming.

"You swine! You scoundrel! Damn bum! Who the hell do you think you are to strike a Consort Lady!"

"Only the emperor can insult me. Only he can behead me." said Mai in a cold voice, refusing to give up.

Anni had lived a privileged life and gotten everything she wanted. She had even been forgiven a name while Mai got nothing and was treated as if she didn't exist. Their parents only pretended to love her by giving her a private tutor, which turned out to be a facade. Anni, you've squandered our parents' investment in you. You haven't even slept with the emperor. It's wildly disappointing! I could have done better.

Mai struck Anni hard in the face again, causing her to be pushed back. She staggered, spat on the courtyard, and wiped her mouth while foam hung from the corner of her mouth making her look like an aggressive wild animal.

Her maids immediately ran to her and glared at Mai while defending Anni by shouting various threats at Mai, who responded by shrugging. It was childish and unoriginal, which was predictable. But the next words made her look at Anni with wide eyes.

"My lady. Watch out for your child." one maid suddenly said in a concerned tone.

She looked up at Mai and furrowed her brows. "If my lady loses her child, you won't see daylight again, peasant."

This time, it was Mai who furrowed her brows as she stared at Anni's flat stomach.

"Can you say anything other than peasant?" she muttered quietly.

Is Anni really pregnant? She was sure Emperor Jinling was a virgin, especially with that personality. Is it smart to deceive the emperor? She suddenly felt a delightful sensation, and a gleeful smile spread across her lips. Seriously, Anni, you're even dumber than dumb.

When the maid saw her smile, it fueled her anger. "Just wait. The emperor will punish you for this."

"Guards! There's a soldier attempting to assault Consort Anni!" the other maid suddenly screamed at the top of her lungs.

Mai furrowed her brows. Assault? She held her hands to her forehead and sighed deeply.

"Why am I surrounded by complete idiots?" she muttered quietly.

Suddenly, five guards came running towards them, and one of them asked, "What in the world is going on here? Can't we have peace here in the Immortal Palace?"

They immediately spotted Anni, but when they saw Mai, they furrowed their brows and approached them. The guards made eye contact with each other, and one nodded towards Anni. In response, they all shook their heads, but suddenly one quickly nodded towards Anni again, and one sighed deeply and clenched his teeth. He approached Anni and tried to lead her away from the scene.

"Consort Anni..."

Anni slapped his hand away and clenched her teeth as she glared at Mai, who stared at her in silence.

"Tch. Keep your hands off me!"

She was red-faced, and her cheeks were swollen, making her resemble an inflated pig, but a very ugly one. It was a disgrace for the pig to be compared to Anni.

On the other hand, Mai had only survived with some minor scratches here and there, which she could fix with some herbs later.

Anni pointed at her and said in a cold voice, "Enjoy your time, cur. I'll have your head. Just wait!"

She walked away with the guard, quickly leaving the scene.

Mai massaged her temples and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Finally got rid of that sow." she muttered.

She turned around and bowed to the guards. "Thank you, Senior Brothers, but I had the situation under control."

One of them furrowed his brows and said, "It didn't look like it. Don't you like Consort Anni?"

Mai shook her head and replied honestly, "Brothers, you misunderstand. Her existence irritates me."

She bowed to them and collected the stone pieces while cutting her fingers. There was a stinging pain, but it only hurt in her heart. This is from Sister Ling. Can I find a match somewhere?

The guards left her alone and returned to their duties, looking at each other.

"He looks pathetic. He's talking to a stone. Is he really okay? After all, it's Consort Anni we're dealing with."

"There are two generals, an emperor, and a Grand Inspector supporting him. Do you think Consort Anni stands a chance?" asked another guard.

He suddenly held out his right palm towards them. "Pay up. Junior Luo Tian won the fight."

Mai hurried to work in a bad mood, and when she arrived, Lin was not there, which made her even more upset. She needed a hug.

An employee looked up at her and asked, "Why do you look like that Junior Luo Tian?"

"I got into a fight with a kitten." Mai replied and started checking if the English texts matched the Chinese.

Later, when she finished and was stacking the papers neatly, an orange paper suddenly fell to the floor, which she immediately picked up. At first, she thought it was a drawing, but it turned out to be a map, and she became very curious, studying it closely. She unfolded it completely and saw continents with a large area in the middle that stood out.

"Hanzhong." she read at the central point.

She looked at the man and asked, "I thought The Immortal Palace was centrally located."

He furrowed his brows and replied, "Have you forgotten you live in the Hanzhong Dynasty? Emperor Xiao Jinling only reigns in the south. Look here. There's also north, east, and west where others reign, but they are of tribal people."

Mai studied the map again and examined the other continents carefully. Her tutor had never taught her about geography, only literature, so this was an eye-opener. The map wasn't detailed but had simple drawings of mountains in the north and lines like waves in the west. This is perfect if I get lost.

"Can I make a copy of it?"

"Yes, of course. It's just an old map. I wonder why Grand Inspector Lin still has it. It was supposed to be stored away." the man replied.

 

3